[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

KestrelLowing

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby KestrelLowing » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm UTC

skippysheila wrote:
The article from Rookie Mag is rage-inducing. I've only had something like that happen to me once:

Spoiler:
A guy jumped out of a bush and flashed me when I was walking home from school

but I was so surprised I laughed loudly and he legged it.

Have to admit, I think that's probably one of the best ways to deal with that - in some circumstances. Laughing AT them - particularly if you can get really into it and have some snorts and knee slapping in there as well - will likely totally throw them off. It's something people probably aren't prepared for where as they may be prepared for disgust or yelling.

Possibly somewhat triggering:
Spoiler:
Of course, if they start to get physical, laughing probably doesn't work too well at all and might even be seen as encouragement.

skippysheila

Postby skippysheila » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:33 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:
skippysheila wrote:
The article from Rookie Mag is rage-inducing. I've only had something like that happen to me once:

Spoiler:
A guy jumped out of a bush and flashed me when I was walking home from school

but I was so surprised I laughed loudly and he legged it.

Have to admit, I think that's probably one of the best ways to deal with that - in some circumstances. Laughing AT them - particularly if you can get really into it and have some snorts and knee slapping in there as well - will likely totally throw them off. It's something people probably aren't prepared for where as they may be prepared for disgust or yelling.

Possibly somewhat triggering:
Spoiler:
Of course, if they start to get physical, laughing probably doesn't work too well at all and might even be seen as encouragement.

Quite. A friend suggested pointing and saying
Spoiler:
Look! Just like a real penis only smaller!
but that's a dangerous game to start playing if someone's really determined.

paulisa

Postby paulisa » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:05 pm UTC

I got flashed in the middle of the day once:

Spoiler:
I was walking down a large street with two huge bags of clothes and one of two guys walking the other way suddenly pulls the waistband of his sweatpants down and starts jumping around to make his dick bounce. I could hardly keep walking with a straight face because it was so absurd. The guys didn't look much older than 15.

Actually, if I think about it soberly, human bodies as a whole seem absurd and something to laugh about.
The smallest unit of time in the multiverse is the New-York-Second, defined as the period of time passing between the traffic light turning green and the cab behind you honking. - Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:09 pm UTC

Clothing Advice Needed.

I am going to this 'cave person birthday party' at the Connecticut Science Center with my SO. He will be there doing some networking, but the invitation says dressing up is cool and fun. I am going for an outfit that is both cave woman-esque and grown up enough to make it look like I am not going to a college party. I came up with this. Sorry it is so huge. Sometimes they shrink themselves. That would be cool.
Spoiler:
The top is really beat up, but I am hoping that sort of look is cave woman like.
Spoiler:
While I am worried about the total outfit in general (my honey says it looks good) I am really worried about the shoes. I have worn them once like 10 years ago, and really would like to wear them tomorrow night but and afraid they don't match.
Thoughts?

P.S. sorry the moom did not work out for you.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:40 am UTC

But this TV show review is spot-on. And decently written.
Spoiler:
I stopped feeling bad about watching that show while enjoying feeling morally and intellectually superior. I can't help being fucking flawed.

[Insert shitload of rant about wedding planning.]
Spoiler:
I want it to be over. I don't need to deal with a groomzilla who originally wanted me to have three fucking bridesmaids and finally compromised when I said I'm getting two and no more. And now one of my bridesmaids is being MIA and I originally wanted to ask other people but my momzilla said they're ugly and short and too skinny and she'll make a scene at the wedding if they're the bridesmaids. And the groomzilla insists on the invitation being fucking perfect like Black Swan. It's taking away my mental capacity for scientific research that is a much better use of my time than twerking the fucking CSS for the stupid wedding website.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:34 pm UTC

Ugh, I'm sorry you're having problems with planning. Is there any way that you can just hand over responsibility 100% to the people who actually care about the specifics? That way, you hopefully wouldn't need to worry about it anymore.

Silly question: Are side-swept bangs a good, bad, horrible, etc. thing? I've always had straight across bangs (not the blunt type - my hair is fine and wavy, so I've never done blunt bangs). I'm starting to get bored of them as my hairstyle hasn't changed since I was 3, except for the length (no, seriously. My hair is longer and slightly darker now, but you look at pictures of my when I was 3 and I have the exact same haircut). I've got a pretty high forehead though and feel like I look much better with bangs.

But, I'm a pretty low maintenance kind of person. Most days, because I take a shower at night, I have to spray my bangs with water and use a hairdryer to dry them (tip for those with straight across bangs, blowdry up, down, left, right, up, down left right, until your bangs are dry and they'll look pretty decent) as they otherwise stick out all over. Other than that, I just put my hair in a braid or ponytail and call it good.

Anyone have experience with side-swept bangs?

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:56 pm UTC

i'm kinda growing mine out and so I just brush them out of the way...is that what you mean? I think it's pretty but what do I know, haha. I like the tossled curly/wavy hair look. I've never had to mess with my bangs, I just let them go wherever they want. Probably not something you can do with straight bangs?
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:47 am UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:Ugh, I'm sorry you're having problems with planning. Is there any way that you can just hand over responsibility 100% to the people who actually care about the specifics? That way, you hopefully wouldn't need to worry about it anymore.

I would really like to do that, except
Spoiler:
leaving my groomzilla and momzilla handle everything (right now only the two of them have opinions, and strong ones, and often diametrically opposing ones)... would result in cancellations, foreclosures, suboptimal exit strategies, and their ripping each other's throats out.
I think I'll have to take as much time to myself as possible to maintain sanity, because that is the only way I know to ensure I am the most rational person among all who are involved. And plenty of alcohol.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:52 pm UTC

I get more committed to holding hands and jumping over a broom and calling it done the more I think about weddings.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

birth control whinge:

Spoiler:
I'm currently on the depo injection. It does not agree with me. the first month after an injection I'm all PMS mega-rage/depression and I've been bleeding constantly since January (have checked with Dr, he says this is a fairly common complaint and I'm not going to die, it's just a pain). I want to change to an IUD, can I get an appointment to fit one? Can I fuck. I'm at the point now where I have to either get another injection or switch on to something else short term while I try to get an appointment. Rargh. I didn't like pills either, and everything else seems like a lot of effort for potentially only a few weeks of use.
I don't like relying on just condoms, they are a faff and I'm a bit allergic to latex and the non-latex ones are less safe, hard to find and more expensive.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:17 pm UTC

You might consider abstaining for a few weeks. It goes get rid of the annoyance of birth control.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:19 pm UTC

Either way it's worthy of a whinge.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

crowey

Postby crowey » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:31 pm UTC

Enuja wrote:You might consider abstaining for a few weeks. It goes get rid of the annoyance of birth control.

which is crappy in it's own way. I'm in a LDR and I'm visiting Matt for a few days at the end of next week. Rather inconvenient timing for abstinence. :|

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:25 pm UTC

Do they have Nuvaring there? My doctor actually had sample rings, so if you can find a doctor who has samples you might be able to get it immediately, without a prescription. All they needed to do to prep me for it was check my blood pressure, because it can cause clots. I believe it takes 7 days to work though, so you'd need to get it soon.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:38 pm UTC

doogly wrote:I get more committed to holding hands and jumping over a broom and calling it done the more I think about weddings.
Yeah I want to do that too, except neither momzilla nor groomzilla would be happy with that because they both want to show off, just with different motivations and psychoanalytics. I honestly have had enough with them about this whole business.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:32 pm UTC

They can decorate the broom? With glitter!
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:51 pm UTC

no not craft herpes!!!!!!!! it'll get all over the place! ahhhhh!!!!

spoilered for totally ot rambles & question of weird observation:
Spoiler:
my dream wedding: in a cave. because then no one can come except a select few (a caver i know even got ordained so he can marry fellow cavers) and i dont have to worry about anything.

moom: ahhhh amazon never corrected their error. I go to look. It was sitting way up north still. STILL. now it's on its way I just called ups direct myself. so glad I just shaved last week. although my hair is growing back much slower. anyone else ever notice this that if you shave less it grows slower or something? or let it grow out and then it grows slower? so confused...
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

crowey

Postby crowey » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:35 am UTC

lanicita wrote:Do they have Nuvaring there? My doctor actually had sample rings, so if you can find a doctor who has samples you might be able to get it immediately, without a prescription. All they needed to do to prep me for it was check my blood pressure, because it can cause clots. I believe it takes 7 days to work though, so you'd need to get it soon.

I know it's available here, but I don't think the doctors give out samples of anything without prescriptions. There are some fairly strict rules about doctors and freebies (to patients and from pharma companies) in the UK...

I'm going to go for a regular appointment tomorrow anyway so I'll sort something out then.

*grumble grumble*

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:01 am UTC

Two years ago today I was something of a wreck, having just left my abusive (now ex-) husband.

Today: Krav Maga, a corresponding increase in self-confidence, a distinct lack of terrible relationships, and cherry chocolate fudge.

Jean-Luc-Picard-Full-of-win.jpg

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:53 pm UTC

Kithplana wrote:Two years ago today I was something of a wreck, having just left my abusive (now ex-) husband.

Today: Krav Maga, a corresponding increase in self-confidence, a distinct lack of terrible relationships, and cherry chocolate fudge.

Jean-Luc-Picard-Full-of-win.jpg

Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

skippysheila

Postby skippysheila » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:43 pm UTC

Kithplana wrote:Two years ago todaySeven and a half years ago I was something of a complete and utter wreck, having just left my abusive (now ex-) husband.

Today: Krav Maga Tae Kwan Do, a corresponding increase in self-confidence, a distinct lack of terrible relationships, and cherry chocolate fudgePimms & ginger ale.

Fixed that for me: you're not the only one. Fantastic feeling, eh?

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:50 pm UTC

skippysheila wrote:
Kithplana wrote:Two years ago todaySeven and a half years ago I was something of a complete and utter wreck, having just left my abusive (now ex-) husband.

Today: Krav Maga Tae Kwan Do, a corresponding increase in self-confidence, a distinct lack of terrible relationships, and cherry chocolate fudgePimms & ginger ale.

Fixed that for me: you're not the only one. Fantastic feeling, eh?

Heck yeah.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:34 pm UTC

Hey everybody. I have proof my body hates me. Shark Week decided to give me an extra week off just so it could wait to come until I was at Busch Gardens. YAAAAY!!!
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Alder

Postby Alder » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:19 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Hey everybody. I have proof my body hates me. Shark Week decided to give me an extra week off just so it could wait to come until I was at Busch Gardens. YAAAAY!!!

I see your extra week and I raise you "changing for no reason from a 4 week cycle to a 3 week cycle". :|

Sympathy for the 'turning up when you least want it', though, that's always annoying. :(
Last edited by Alder on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:20 pm UTC

Kithplana wrote:Two years ago today I was something of a wreck, having just left my abusive (now ex-) husband.

The attachment Jean-Luc-Picard-Full-of-win.jpg is no longer available

:D That is awesome! And cherry chocolate fudge sounds amazing...
I'd really love to learn Krav Maga, but it hasn't taken on yet where I live: the only classes I could find were expensive one-off team building exercises for businesses and the like :/
I'm sort of tempted to try pole-dancing lessons instead, because it looks sort of fun and like such a full body workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIFbG8OC ... re=related

This morning I woke up to find...
Spoiler:
The dog ate my sanitary pads.
IMG_2427 small.jpg

IMG_2431 small.jpg

BOTH packets. He sneaked downstairs in the night and somehow located them amongst my other belongings, then proceeded to tear one packet apart near the crime scene, and take the other packet to the middle of the stairs just to display the mess to my boyfriend's father and 9 yr old brother.
He's like a shark with premonitory abilities...
IMG_2432 small.jpg

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:01 am UTC

RE: Mooming

Okay so my hair was long enough again to attempt it in some areas. I've never waxed or sugared or anything before, ever.

Things I didn't like:
- Says "paper thin" coat of moom. Well...it instantly cools when it touches my skin and hardens. Even a fast smooth application stroke it is glumpy. If by paper thin they mean a thick heavy construction-type paper, with glumps, okay? Because of htis, just doing most my lower legs below knees took over half the bottle.
- Forgot I'd have to perform acrobatics to do everywhere LOL

Definitly not enough cloth strips, I ran out. I will need to cut some fabric I think of my own for use. Anyone know what kind they use?

As far for how it worked:
- I can see why they say in a week or two I'll have to do it again it being the first time. Definitly have different growth cycles and there are some small ones it didn't get
- Felt like taking a bandaid off. Not nice feeling but not really painful either.
- Easy clean up
- I got red bumps 10-20 min after mooming a section, but these have dissapeared already in like an hour. Feels like I scrubbed my legs well (that bit of tinglyness when your pores are really open type feeling), but (other than the few short stuff) very nice and smooth. No signs of any rash or irritation at all (and I have on the sensitive side of skin)

Anyone who has used this before, have any ideas for the glumping coolyness? I mean I got it as honeylike as I could without the heat creating a burning sensation figuring it being hotter would spread better. Really it wasn't worth the bit of "ouch!' from the heat and so I kept it more like a natural honey (not the half corn syrup crap from the stores that is more runny) which was fine temperature wise. If I could solve this issue, it would make spreading SO MUCH BETTER and prolong the use. With these solved, I would say it is definitly worth it.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:16 am UTC

Nutella-filled chocolate cake, assembled and microwaved in a mug in ~5 minutes. Awww yeah.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:08 am UTC

Kithplana wrote:Nutella-filled chocolate cake, assembled and microwaved in a mug in ~5 minutes. Awww yeah.

0.o I think you need to share this receipe... :D

MadParrot

Postby MadParrot » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:07 am UTC

Plasmic-turtle - that's adorable. Annoying, but so adorable :)

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:24 am UTC

Sungura wrote:
Kithplana wrote:Nutella-filled chocolate cake, assembled and microwaved in a mug in ~5 minutes. Awww yeah.

0.o I think you need to share this receipe... :D

You make up a mug cake with whatever mug cake recipe -- I know there's better out there than the one I have -- and add a tablespoon of Nutella before microwaving. I'm still perfecting the cake part; as it is now the Nutella carries the whole thing. The good part about this is that you can experiment, and at the end of each one you still have delicious chocolate cake.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:54 am UTC

Need to find bridesmaids dresses that are burgundy in color, similar in style to this dress... On David's Bridal for example, the sangria and wine come somewhat close, but NOT apple (according to groomzilla). Momzilla hates all purples, blues and greens, especially dark shades. Groomzilla doesn't like bright reds and pinks. (And no, yellows don't work with our scheme... only burgundy). I am going to die..... please please please help???????

And my bridesmaids are so flaky but I don't have anyone else to ask, lest momzilla makes a scene and refuse to be in any pictures.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:08 am UTC

How close is this, this, or this?
Changes its form depending on the observer.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:39 am UTC

Deva wrote:How close is this, this, or this?
Thanks, the color is about what I had in mind, but there's the added issue of having them delivered before ~mid-August... before July ends if at all possible. I'm thinking either go for < $80 cheap David's Bridal dresses, or something > $100 with nicer fabrics... but the delivery time and the limited color palette (burgundy or reddish-purple sangria)... also one dress needs to go to the Bay Area and another to Boston...

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:16 pm UTC

Deva - you should start a website called 'deva finds you what you need'. You're pretty amazing when someone asks a question and you go and find it, or count lots of words in xkcd, or whatever!
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:53 pm UTC

modularblues wrote:Need to find bridesmaids dresses that are burgundy in color, similar in style to this dress...
I suppose the notion of "So long as it's this color, let the bridesmaids wear whatever the hell they want" wouldn't fly? It would put the pressure on the person wearing the dress to pick out a style, but at the same time it also makes sure that the person actually wearing the thing is at least somewhat comfortable in it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:06 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
modularblues wrote:Need to find bridesmaids dresses that are burgundy in color, similar in style to this dress...
I suppose the notion of "So long as it's this color, let the bridesmaids wear whatever the hell they want" wouldn't fly? It would put the pressure on the person wearing the dress to pick out a style, but at the same time it also makes sure that the person actually wearing the thing is at least somewhat comfortable in it.

That's what I'm going with for my wedding... but from the sound of it at least one of modularblues' hangers-on sounds like they might not like that.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:12 pm UTC

Heh. I believe you mean it doesn't sound like the person(s) planning the wedding would like it. That modularblues is the bride is incidental to them.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:00 pm UTC

Ok, so this doesn't really need to go in the woman thread, but I couldn't really figure out where else to put it:

Do you know any female engineers? If so, what type of work do they do? I've come to the realization that of the female engineers I know, all of them are either project managers or something similar. I also know one who's also in technical sales (basically, she has to actually know what the product does as she's selling it to engineers).

All the female engineers at my current internship are product managers, as were the ones in the two internships I had before this. Also, when going to a few 'women in engineering' events in high school, all the female engineers that were there were also product managers.

I got put in another product management role this internship. I'm terrified because I suck at it. I know the only way to get better at things is to practice, but I'm just really, really bad at it and it's the type of thing I really shouldn't be doing because I'm so bad at it. I'm starting to think I get pushed that way simply because people think I 'should' be good at it - people skills and everything.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:03 pm UTC

My wife's a release engineer. There's at least 2 female software engineers on her team. I know there's others outside of her team as well.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:27 pm UTC

I know people who used to be female engineers (one became a math/physics teacher, and the other was my lab supervisor who's now in cartilage biology).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “General”