[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby poxic » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:19 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Knock yourself out if you can.

Seconded. Some places do a "twilight" anesthesia, which keeps you upright (and apparently babbling your mouth off) the whole time, but you don't remember a bit of it.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:30 am UTC

For what it's worth, I was awake for mine.

Spoilered for detailed dentistry?

Spoiler:
They didn't pull them, they did some weird thing where they drilled into them, causing them to shatter, and pulled the pieces out. Apparently that's less traumatic.

Anyway, that sounds scary, but it was really all right. So, don't discard general/twilight anesthesia, but do know that not everyone who stays awake has a bad time.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:40 am UTC

21. I had only nitrous for mine and was maybe a little traumatized. As in I have new triggers around teeth and mouth things. I also have an anxiety disorder and really disliked the surgeon to the point I didn't want him touching me, and had two panic attacks so it was possibly an okay experience that I reacted *terribly* to.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:04 am UTC

I got completely knocked out for my single bony tooth. The worst part was the recovery, but I never had to take any of the Vicodin they gave me for it.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:22 am UTC

I really appreciate the advice and reassurances. I've always been kinda nervous about dentistry just because it's sort of a 'don't lose it because it's not coming back' kind of thing. It seems likely that I'd be knocked out, I don't have anything that would interact with the anesthesia like my brother did (asthma). I'm meeting the oral surgeon tomorrow, so I should figure out whether we get along. I admit, if I don't like the doctor, I get a new one. I'm lucky that I can afford to do that, because I *really* disliked the first skin doctor I went to and it was so much better when I got a guy who didn't freak me out.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

The worst part about mine (at 21) was that I didn't plan very well ahead of time what I would eat. I took longer to heal than I expected, and didn't have enough good, soft foods. I ended up feeling lightheaded a lot, but assumed it was my meds. (One of them did make me feel a little dizzy, but mostly it was the lack of food.) Peanut butter milkshakes work wonders. Overall it wasn't bad, though, and I'm glad it's over with. Fiance is 25 and hasn't done them yet (but plans to).

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

Virtual_Aardvark wrote:21. I had only nitrous for mine and was maybe a little traumatized. As in I have new triggers around teeth and mouth things. I also have an anxiety disorder and really disliked the surgeon to the point I didn't want him touching me, and had two panic attacks so it was possibly an okay experience that I reacted *terribly* to.

Only nitrous, anxiety disorder, one panic attack. Then, because my idiotic mother didn't want me driving home even though the doctor said that I could, I had to wait 20 minutes for my dad to pick me up, even though I told him to wait, and then when I wanted to quickly get my ice cream so I'd be able to take the pain pills before the local anesthetic wore off, he dilly-dallied and got it to me way later than he should have. I was miserable and furious.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

I was 17 they were coming in all crooked and digging into my cheeks.
Went to an oral surgeon (an MD, they are the ones who can put you out) had a lovely experience so far as these things go. Even asked my fav color ahead of time for the bandaid for the IV spot lol. Yeah I was totally put out. I had prescribed vicodin but I didn't need it. They put me out wayyy far. I guess it took me like 1.5 hours to wake up according to my mom, although I remember being annoyed at her trying to wake me up to walk to the car to go home (they had a bed and chair in a recovery room, which we were in). They were totally set up for mega dental surgery.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

They didn't knock me out, or give me anything beyond novocaine. I had pretty easy, straightforward extractions - nothing impacted or anything, but I was still in a lot of pain once the novocaine wore off (after I had walked about a mile home from the oral surgeon), and they hadn't given me any prescriptions for pain medication - just told me to take ibuprofen. I called my mom in tears, and I don't know what she said to them, but the next thing I knew I had prescriptions for valium, vicodin, and percoset. I was not in much pain after that (only took the pain pills for 2-3 days, and mostly only at night).
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

Totally OT but one of my friends writes an awesome blog, and just made a post about feminism. I think a lot of women here would enjoy the read sohere is the link.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

That's probably more on topic than what we were discussing, given the thread.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:17 am UTC

I really would like a cute new swimsuit and I love the vintage/retro designs because they are so sexily deliciously cut for my body. (I like retro/vintage clothing in general, it just looks good on me.)

Anyway, in my searchings, I did stumble across this website, which sounds awesome because they actually custom make the suit to your band and cup size!
http://www.getgoretro.com

Thought I'd share =) And if anyone has experience in sewing swimsuits let me know, I'm thinking to just make my own because it seems so expensive.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Totally OT but one of my friends writes an awesome blog, and just made a post about feminism. I think a lot of women here would enjoy the read sohere is the link.

That is an awesome post, and I also loved the ending. ^_^
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:I really would like a cute new swimsuit and I love the vintage/retro designs because they are so sexily deliciously cut for my body. (I like retro/vintage clothing in general, it just looks good on me.)

Anyway, in my searchings, I did stumble across this website, which sounds awesome because they actually custom make the suit to your band and cup size!
http://www.getgoretro.com

Thought I'd share =) And if anyone has experience in sewing swimsuits let me know, I'm thinking to just make my own because it seems so expensive.
My mom sewed me a swimsuit. She has a lot of crafty skills, but it turned out pretty poorly. I think swimsuits follow the same rules bras in that they're really hard to make.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:31 am UTC

suits, or well fitted ones atleast, are actually worse because of the fabric.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:02 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:suits, or well fitted ones atleast, are actually worse because of the fabric.

^ This. As it turns out, the selection of fabrics that work well in swimsuits is a lot smaller than those which work well in bras.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 am UTC

I could believe that....I've worked with stretchy fabric before....even with the stretchstitch on my machine it kinda sucks.

Although I will say, I have designed and made 3 corsets. So maybe i'm up for the challenge? Hard to tell. If I could find a pattern, or a pattern easy enough to alter, maybe.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:45 am UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
suffer-cait wrote:suits, or well fitted ones atleast, are actually worse because of the fabric.

^ This. As it turns out, the selection of fabrics that work well in swimsuits is a lot smaller than those which work well in bras.

more that all of said fabrics are crazy difficult to sew, cause of stretch factor mostly. I would easily say that corsets are waaaaaaay easier. alteratively, make a suit with a comfy non-stretch, water friendly fabric, and make sure your ties provide enough adjustment.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

That's an idea... Typical to use Lycra for swimsuits but I e worked with lots of two way stretch fabrics which arnt that bad to sew... Want something poly / nylon base because its not cold when wet (like rayon) and it dries fast so there are lots fabric options with those.

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

What're your experiences with the pill and weight gain? Considering taking the pill for a while now, pros: not having to deal with Shark Week, not risking having Shark Week show up while visiting special frined, cons: pill contributing to chubbyness and making me feel worse/working against my dieting. Did some googling regarding my specific type of pill, but didn't find anything specific on it. It contains 0,020 mg Ethinylestradiol and 3 mg Drospirenon, if that makes a difference.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

I took Microgestin Fe 1.5/30 for about a year starting at the end of 2005. I gained about 35 pounds in 2-3 months. But I also LOST weight on Depo Provera, and have PCOS, so I don't know that I'm a good example of anything.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:46 am UTC

Double post for Public Service Announcement: This is the best moisturizer that has ever moisturized - http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/shea-m ... 52-product

It's not super expensive, is free of parabens, pthalates, synthetics, etc., is organic, and is cruelty-free. It smells amazing, and it's gentle enough that I've even been using it on my face. I initially bought it because I'm pregnant, and unbeknownst to me, that totally dries you out. I also wanted something to rub on my belly and boobs to avoid stretch marks. The standard pregnant lady lotion is the Palmer's cocoa butter stuff, but it is full of petroleum products and such, so I got this instead. I don't think I am interested in using any other lotion anymore.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:38 am UTC

I've been taking Lo Loestrin FE (except without the inactive pills, so technically no FE, but also no periods. Yay!) for 3 months now and I haven't gained any weight. I'm young, naturally slim but curvy. I have had significantly less problems with large acne spots on the face and... elsewhere. I have had a few more blackheads but in my mind the lack of big acne is very very nice. If that's even the pill, who knows! But I haven't had any weight gain from this pill. Of course it's a very very low dosage pill so that it doesn't mess with my emotional state. Whoo anxiety/depression.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

I lost weight when I first went on birth control, but it's really hard to say why. It's possible that I just grew up and out of my weight (I was 16 when I went on the pill.) I had also been diagnosed with PCOS, which is why I went on the pill, so losing weight by getting that under control would make sense. But since then it's become uncertain whether I really had PCOS in the first place. I haven't been off the pill since then, so I have no idea how my weight would be different, if at all.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

ot to current discussion (and please continue, as of late I've not been happy with my bc so I'm researching other options and enjoy the discussion!), but my friend made a part 2 post to the feminism post i linked earlier.
Enjoy!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

Double post for new topic and it's been a day....

So after all this lately of whacked out shark weeks and such, I thought I should really start tracking this nonsense. I mean, I never really cared to track before, but I thought maybe it would show useful info, especially that I've been having worse and worse acne as the months go by and the bleeding increases again (I reallllly think my mirena is maybe, wearing off or something, early). My insurance only covers once a year checkup but I might have to just pay it and go in anyway and talk to them but I'd like more harddata. But I really dont want to track online...there are days I don't get on the computer much.

Then I realized I have an iPhone now. HOLYCRAP APS FOR THAT!

I tried a few and ended up going with a free one called "period tracker!" The icons are pretty cool and I like that I can record symptoms (ranging from acne to nausia to tenderness to neck pain to aches to, well, really way more than I've ever experienced to be honest) even when it's not during a shark week. You can go back and edit-in the history too. It's very well laid out and places for details about sexytimes and such too if you wish, and other things for if you are trying to get pregnant...really it has way more stuff than I could ever use. And of course you can add specific notes to a day as well. And each symptom has a low-medium-high scaling which is nice. For example it's not just "I had a headache" it's "little headach, medium headache, bad headache!" options. Same for say, acne. "Lots of acne! Some acne! few spots of acne!" that variation i find super useful.

You can, of course, also download all the information to the computer and print it out easily. Printouts seem like they'd be cool. I'll do that when I go to the doc next. There are more features I'm still finding. Really, there are more features I could hope to use. It is a free ap, too!
Okay off my "I found a cool ap!" soapbox, lol.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:01 am UTC

I have my first shark week in... months? Years? I've been craving salty things a lot in the last week so maybe I should have guessed, but it's been so long. I still have my Mirena, there's no particular reason I should have gotten it today. Hrm.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

I thought that this was a cool set of photos taken in Oxford about people's opinions on why we still need feminism.

http://www.facebook.com/womcam?ref=stream#!/media/set/?set=a.126172794221421.22512.113709282134439&type=3

Sadly I am not there during the week so couldn't participate :(
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

There is another shoot on the 7th there: "We are holding a second photoshoot, for those who missed the first. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/events/558534900825455/"

I uh...totally want to do this here in Huntsville now. How cool would it be if everywhere did it?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

I probably won't be back in time for the one on the 7th either. :(
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I thought that this was a cool set of photos taken in Oxford about people's opinions on why we still need feminism.

http://www.facebook.com/womcam?ref=stream#!/media/set/?set=a.126172794221421.22512.113709282134439&type=3

Sadly I am not there during the week so couldn't participate :(

Update: they've added about 300 more photos up. I didn't make it today either.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:06 am UTC

I really loved the pictures.

So the wisdom tooth stuff was uneventful. Local anesthetic only, ate lots of applesauce, took Vicoprofen. I'm getting the stitches out tomorrow. Everything seems to have healed up just fine. Hurray!

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:45 am UTC

That's good.

One of my co-workers just got his wisdom teeth out last week. He's in his 60s.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:26 am UTC

Apparently they can cause issues at any age if they're not taken out, and that's why many people get them taken out preventatively. Did you know that having cavities in your teeth and less healthy gums can lead to heart disease? Apparently it has something to do with swallowing bacteria. Totally unrelated to the Woman thread, sorry.

I've made several close friends. It's really nice to be able to call someone and be like 'hey, so lunch?" Yay. :)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:34 am UTC

It leads to an increased risk of growing bacteria in your heart (infective endocarditis). This can lead to anything from unexplained fever and sepsis to problems with the heart valve and increased risk of stroke/pulmonary emboli.

It's not from swallowing them though - it's from them infiltrating directly through the gums into the bloodstream. It's not very common though.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:34 am UTC

Please excuse my uninformed urban legend-y mis-understood science there. Heh.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:22 am UTC

That's ok! It was mainly correct - I just thought that people might go 'hang on, wouldn't the stomach kill most of the bacteria?' Also, when people hear 'heart disease' they generally think angina/heart attack.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

Spoiler:
i hate my body.

Past month stuff hasn't felt right. And it's just getting worse. I bleed all the time. Often with very bad roller coaster cramps. When I'm not cramping (which is back to being bad enough I double over and almost black out) I feel like my abdomen is going to explode. Thought of food makes me nauseous these days. I can't afford more pressure. Even drinking has gotten hard. I sip water I can't drink it. All the pressure. The pressssure. Whenever I can I wear baggy elastic pants because it helps not feel how bad it is. I swear in spit of doing more and eating less I am gaining weight and my stomach looks and feels bigger. The blood. Oww another cramp. I can't help but cry a lot these days it sucks so badly and I feel so horrible. People think I'm happy and havi g fun. I've managed to continue my active lifestyle I have come to love. But it just makes the pressure worse now. It's hard to enjoy them when such a Activities make me feel even worse physically. I just want the pain and pressure and bleeding to end. Yesterday I went to the Gyno and she put me on low dose pill as well on top of my mirena. I'm worried about throwing hormones at this but maybe it will help. She must think it will. She wanted to pull my iud but I'm not good at remembering to take pills and I do need it for BC as well so I convinced her to leave it in. It's not causing the cramps, my uterus is since cramping is associated with the blood waves.

The only time I get relief from all the pressure is lying down these days. The. I think about all the things I should be doing and feel worse because its just pressure and pain. I should be able to ignore it.

I must keep pushing on. I know I can't explode and die. That's what all my senses are telling me is happening but I know that doesn't actually happen. I must maintain mental control over my clearly whacked out senses. That is my only hope. But why are all my senses telling me my stomach is growing and is going to explode? I wish i knew.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Have they done, or did the gyno show any interest in doing, any sort of ultrasound or something? I don't know anything about anything, but if it's as bad as you say, it seems like more tests might be in order... Did you make it as clear to your gyno as you have to us about just how much pain you're experiencing? Am I remembering correctly that you've had the Mirena for some time without any problems? Ugh, I just feel so awful for you. :(

Wolby

Postby Wolby » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:
Spoiler:
Have they done, or did the gyno show any interest in doing, any sort of ultrasound or something? I don't know anything about anything, but if it's as bad as you say, it seems like more tests might be in order... Did you make it as clear to your gyno as you have to us about just how much pain you're experiencing? Am I remembering correctly that you've had the Mirena for some time without any problems? Ugh, I just feel so awful for you. :(

Spoiler:
Seconded---that level of pain isn't normal, and bleeding at strange times should be a major red (ha) flag for your gyn. Have they considered endometriosis? I only wonder because my SO described her probably-endometriosis in similar terms---feeling bloated, spotting, and devastating cramps.

(BTW: hi thread, I'm Levi, I'm a butch dork.)

Return to “General”