[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

XJ_0

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby XJ_0 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:44 am UTC

Spoilered for unhappiness and bitterness.
Spoiler:
To-day I went to a kinky discussion group hosted in someone's house that dealt with the topic of the G-spot and squirting, and there were two demo bottoms. This really just seemed like a healthy sex ed class. There was some goal to introducing and de-stigmatizing that women's bodies can do this, and it is completely normal.

I'm a trans man, a vagina owner. The women in the group brought up the shame that surrounds the vagina and the things it does. I know these feelings, but I didn't out myself there. I experience them. I listen to people talk about vaginas, my own friends and partner even, and I feel like I want to cry. There is so much shame and disgust. I don't feel safe having one. I hate myself so deeply for having one. And what wasn't said at this group, but I also experience with owning a vagina is how people interact with them. People thinking that they know what to do with them, thinking that they are solely for filling with objects, or treating them as only to serve their penises.

I want to cry. I feel sick. I don't feel safe. I can't get people to stop looking at my vagina these ways. I live stealth to hide that I have one, and from all these conceptions and etc. I don't even want one. I hate it. I hate it so much. ....and I don't even know where I can turn to to talk about these things. p_q

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

::offers hugs::
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

XJ_0

Postby XJ_0 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

*Accepts hugs* Thank you.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:15 am UTC

What word is filtering to volcano?
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:46 am UTC

Vagina, though possibly only when written with "my" and other articles in front.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Spoiler:
anyone else get sharp stabbing pains during Shark Week? Last month it was right side this month it's left so I assume it is ovary related.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

Spoiler:
If I remember correctly, ovaries take turns each cycle.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

Spoiler:
They do take turns, but it would be unusual for them to be hurting during shark week - they are generally responsible for middlesmertz which should be between cycles.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Spoiler:
They do take turns, but it would be unusual for them to be hurting during shark week - they are generally responsible for middlesmertz which should be between cycles.

Spoiler:
yar that's what I thought...but it's been hurting a few days prior to the start of bleeding and then during. GRRRR it all started with my new IUD. I'm used (sadly) to the aching pain that drives me to be bedridden at times. I'm not used to this Oh me yarm WTF SOMEONE IS FUCKING STABBING ME pain. And I don't like it. Any of it, really.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu May 02, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

Bra Happiness to share! :D

So thank you whoever it was who recommended Bravissimo. I was really worried because of shipping costs overseas, returns, exhanges, not being able to try things on...but after exhausting any local possibilities I realized online was my /only/ answer, and I couldn't find anything in the US that was cute and had nice looking bras and such.

I bit the bullet and order like $300 worth of stuff. Figured may as well make it worth it :P it was getting so bad I was having a sore back by halfway through the day and I know it needed to change so I figured order a lot and return what I don't like or doesn't work.

Well they got here in the last few days.
Out of five bras I ordered, three fit great off the bat. I had an email conversation with their customer service and explained where I thought I was in their sizing and they asked detailed questions and came to similar conclusion that at least it would be a good basis to start with (but styles/brands can vary a bit, so there is that caviat). In case it helps I'll post my thought process in case others wish to try:
Spoiler:
Around, I am 35 inches no boobs. this puts me between sizes which is a bit difficult, but because I was currently in a 38 band that was a size too big of band, I went down just one, to 36.
Currently was in a 38DDD, equiv to their 38E size. Band too big that taken care of going down to a 36. However, the cup size was too small for sure. And, going down a band size since cup is relavant, does take you equivilantly down a cup size if you stay the same and I needed larger than an E cup already. So I went up one size to compensate for the down band so now we are at 36EE. A size up in cup since it was too small gives 36F. Their size chart explains that US vs UK sizing, the Uk cups tend to run on the smaller side of US cup sizes, and, my measured difference puts me between F and FF anyway. So, selected a FF. Final answer: 36FF

Sadly the 36FF while it worked for the Cleo and Masquerade brands, it didn't work for the Bravissimo brand (they do sell different brands on their site). The two Bravissimo brand bras are too big in both band and cup by a size. So I am exchanging for 34FF. (remember, down a band means cup size goes down one as well). I fully expect the 34FF to work brilliantly and have made note of my brand variations for future note.

Really, we had determined that I am likely in the range of 34FF, 34G, and 36FF. 36FF was simply the most logical starting point. Luckily, I don't have to pay for any return shipping and they do pre-reserve the proper size so that is already done and as soon as they get the package back mine exchange will instantly dispatch so I have to say EXCELLENT customer service both in determining of proper size and for return/exchange policies and help.

Additionally I ordered from them a bikini set because I have never had a comfortable fitting swimsuit in my entire adult life, and a pj spaghettistrap top. I have always wanted such a pajamma top (and shirts in general) but of course they never fit my breasts nor support well enough.
The PJ spaghettistrap top was a Bravissimo brand, and the 36F-G worked great that I ordered. It's a more adjustable (but still fully supportive) band that goes for a bit wider range of circumferences, but no underwires (which, I desired for a nightshirt!) It's not of course as supportive of a underwire bra during the day, but it is plenty comfortable for house lounging, and I would feel 100% comfortable wearing it if spending the night at a friend's house or whatever since it's not like my boobs are flopping everywhere makeing me a)self-consious and b) uncomfortable or even painful to me! (I travel a lot and crash on couches of friendly people either cavers or capoeiristas so it's people I know or maybe even just met but in the same group sort of thing.)

The bikini set was Bravissimo brand as well. I got the 36FF top and swim shorts XL. the top fits BEAUTIFULLY. I think it's the swimsuit stretchy fabric that makes the top work well - so note to self, some bras of thiers I may still be 36FF as for their "clothing", it seems to be my size. Sadly, I am going to have to return it because of the bottoms. I got the shorts for more fabric (unlike their more stringie bikini bottom) but on me I have such hips that 1) it barely comes up over them, it's uber lowrise much lower than my underwear and 2) it barely covers my asscrack. Combined, although my BF said it doesn't look that bad, I feel highly uncomfortable in the bottoms and when I go to the beach I like to play and swim and cartwheel and all kinds of crazy stuff. I don't want my ass showing to everyone and the world. And, the cut is unflattering being that low, because it looks like it's just not big enough to come up over me which really makes me look fat! I think, anyway. Apparently I'm the only one that sees that but I don't care, I have to feel covered and comfortable in what I wear. And that's just standing adjusting it in a mirror. I can't imagine actually being active. I am going to head to a few local stores and see if there is a solid red swimshort match for just solid color shorts, but I doubt it, as it's a cherry-red color that isn't a basic red. I will likely be trying to exchange the set for one of their one-peices, but I am awaiting word about my hip issue and also asked how well structured the integrated bra is as the photo and description is unclear. However all this - I would HIGHLY recommend them if your hips are not huge like mine, the structure and construction is EXTREMELY good and really all considered I think the bikini set was like $50 USD, which is friggin' cheap, especially considering the quality and fit you're getting!

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Fri May 03, 2013 4:04 am UTC

Yay for at least some success!
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Fri May 03, 2013 4:40 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Bra Happiness to share! :D

So thank you whoever it was who recommended Bravissimo.
Yay! I'm glad it worked for you.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri May 03, 2013 7:58 am UTC

I'm so happy that it worked out for you!
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri May 03, 2013 11:38 am UTC

Re: Bravissimo

How do you figure out what cup to go for? As far as I can tell from their webpages they just tell you to try the bras on and decide from there. That's a bit impractical with online shopping. Also the 28-40 thing, that's inches I assume? That would make sense.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

rieschen

Postby rieschen » Fri May 03, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

From what I hear they have relatively good phone support, and by Sungura’s account also email. Maybe email them and ask them to puzzle out where to start based on your current bras and their fit?

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri May 03, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:Re: Bravissimo

How do you figure out what cup to go for? As far as I can tell from their webpages they just tell you to try the bras on and decide from there. That's a bit impractical with online shopping. Also the 28-40 thing, that's inches I assume? That would make sense.

They don't do measurements, it is a different take on bra sizing. They go by fit rather than numbers and different brands and styles within brands even, will fit a bit different and give variance (this is true of any bra anywhere). So yes, that fact alone it does make online shopping slightly impractical but for me, it was my last option as I can't find anything locally anywhere near my size anymore.

Their email and phone support for foreign customers is extremely good. And you only have to pay for shipping once, so if you have to exchange something, it's not like they're gonna dock you a bunch of shipping fees. And you can reserve the exchange in advance, streamlining the process.

As for sizing....basically....

What size do you wear now? Okay so how does it fit? does the band slide up? Are you getting quadboob in the cups? is the wire laying flat against your chest in the middle? etc etc they have a whole list of questions they'll ask you. Anyway, I understood it enough so it was spot-on for me, and the customer service agreed with my analysis.

Spoilered for LONG: it's the email they sent me when I asked them about fitting. (Oh and yes, the band size is inches). She correctly told me my size when I answered the questions. The most you're going to have to exchange is once, because it will get you to the right size, and then if the style is a bit different in fit or the brand, you will know down or up one band or cup size for the exchange (and they'll work with you on the size exchange too in the same way).
Spoiler:
I would be delighted to help you find the perfect fit. Although back sizes in the US and UK are the same, cup sizes are different. We do have conversion charts on our website to help you figure out your UK size based on your US size, but as you mention you could be anything between a 36F and 36H, this covers quite a wide range! If you are happy for me to help you find a bra size to try in general, I can then confirm the corresponding size in the US. If you would like to take a look at the conversion charts in the meantime, please click on this link: http://www.bravissimo.com/help/. You would then just need to click on Fitting Advice and Sizing, then Overseas Conversion Charts, and this will give you two links; one for cup sizes and the other for back sizes.

Here at Bravissimo we do not use tape measures, so you may find our methods of fitting quite different to some retailers. We find it much easier to establish your correct size by working with the bra you currently wear, rather than calculating a size from a measurement. We also find the tape measure method to be inaccurate as it's quite difficult to establish a cup size by using the one measurement around the middle - two people may measure the same around the fullest part of their boobs, but if one has quite full boobs at the top, and the other doesn't, the volume they require in the cup would be quite different. Bravissimo girls really do come in all shapes and sizes!

So to ensure the best fit for you, in our stores we fit our customers by eye. We have recently added a fitting video to our website to reflect how we do this, and why we believe this to be a much more accurate method. For those of you who are unable to visit one of our stores it will hopefully give you a glimpse into how we work! You can view the video at the following link:

http://www.bravissimo.com/perfectfit/fitting-video/

Also, it would be really useful if you could answer the following questions as accurately as possible to enable me to recommend which size it would be best for you to try. However please bear in mind that you may be a different size in each bra you try depending on the style of the bra and manufacturer.

What size and style bra are you currently wearing?

What clothing size do you wear (please confirm both sizes if you wear one size in tops and another in skirts, trousers, etc.)?

How long have you had the bra (if you are unsure, have you had it for more than 6 months)?

How often has it been worn and washed (is it an old favourite that you wear regularly, or only with a particular outfit)?

What hook fastening have you fastened your bra on (the closest one to the cups being the tightest, and the one at the end being the loosest)?

When you buy a new bra do you usually start on the loosest hooks, or can you comfortably start it on the middle/tightest?

If you put your fingers between your back and the band (behind the back fastening) and pull this away from you as far as you can how far can you pull it out (is there a gap of 1-2 inches between the bra and your skin or can you pull the bra out further)?

Does the bra ride up your back at all during the day, or does it sit level with the front?

Do the shoulder straps dig in or slip off your shoulders?

Do your boobs bulge out of the top of the cup, and if so is it a noticeable bulge or do the cups cut into your boobs just a little?

Do the cups wrinkle or feel loose anywhere? If so how much? If you pinch the loose fabric together, how much can you hold onto - 1cm, 2cm, etc. Can you fit any fingers into the cup where the fabric is very loose?

Is the bra you are wearing an underwired style? If so, please answer the following questions:

If you lifted your arms above your head would the wires that lay underneath your boobs lift away from your skin at all, or do they remain firmly against your ribcage?

Do the underwires that sit in the centre of your boobs lie flat on your breastbone? If not, how far do they stick out (in cms or inches)?

Do the ends of the wires that come up under your arms dig in at all during the day? If so, do they come up too far and dig in near your armpit, or do they dig in to the sides of your boobs?

And finally is there anything else you think it would be useful for me to know?

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:53 am UTC

Is there anything to do about premenstrual nipple pain?

I went off birth control for a month because I didn't keep track of the refills on my prescription, and I'm just a bit anxious about how this period is going to turn out (iPod tracker app says it should start Tuesday) ((Also, I touched a boy since then, could I be pregnant?))
I got it straightened out though, and made a doctors appointment and everything.

Presently though, there's a noticeable amount of hurt radiating from my puffed up titties.
I can't even find my sports bra. This period is going to suck.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu May 30, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

The hunt for a swimsuit continues....

I really liked the bikini I got from Bravissimo but my ass is too big for the bottoms, and my bottom pops out. dafuck? Returned it and decided oh well to bikinis (after searching for a local bottom that would match, of course! To no avail) and went with a one-piece that looked adorable. They were friendly as always put me in touch with customer service of theirs that has a similar body size to myself to advise me on size. I got it today...WTF?!?

If I had boobs on my STOMACH it might fit. It is so damn short! If I squish my boobs downward making my chest look absolutly flat (hard to do with 34GG as is my size I know now!) my nipples *just barely* make it to be covered by the *very top* of the cups.

Around it fits. Just wearing the bra part fits. So I have the right size.

But what the fuck on the length!??! If anything I have a short torso! I think I'd have to be only 4ft tall to wear this though.

paulisa

Postby paulisa » Fri May 31, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

So this is an idea that popped into my head when discussion bra sizing with my mother, who was recently shocked by the fact that cup volume is also dependent on band size...

Wouldn't the most useful measurements for bras be the following:
a) the band size, being the circumference of the body below the breast, in centimetres. No adding, subtracting, messing around!
b) the cup volume, in cubic centimetres. This would be problematic at first because breast volume is not easily measured at home, but after trying different sizes and finding the ideal one *once*, there's no more hassle except when changing size, but the mess does not increase from the current amount of mess.

Pros: sizing is intuitive and comparable; buying bras is less onerous; buying for third parties is easier; maybe people will buy more bras if it's less frustrating.
Cons: the conversion from A/B/C/D/??? to ccm might be irritating; all the bra size calculators will go out of business.

What do you think?
The smallest unit of time in the multiverse is the New-York-Second, defined as the period of time passing between the traffic light turning green and the cab behind you honking. - Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Fri May 31, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

The bra measurement websites could still probably be helpful, since it'd give you a good starting point.

My SO has also complained that women's clothing sizes make no sense to him, especially with bras. :roll:

Sorry to hear about swimsuit hunting failures, Sungura. I've also been kinda looking, but have been mostly failing due to internal fat shaming.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:11 am UTC

Sungura wrote:The hunt for a swimsuit continues....

I really liked the bikini I got from Bravissimo but my ass is too big for the bottoms, and my bottom pops out. dafuck? Returned it and decided oh well to bikinis (after searching for a local bottom that would match, of course! To no avail) and went with a one-piece that looked adorable. They were friendly as always put me in touch with customer service of theirs that has a similar body size to myself to advise me on size. I got it today...WTF?!?

If I had boobs on my STOMACH it might fit. It is so damn short! If I squish my boobs downward making my chest look absolutly flat (hard to do with 34GG as is my size I know now!) my nipples *just barely* make it to be covered by the *very top* of the cups.

Around it fits. Just wearing the bra part fits. So I have the right size.

But what the fuck on the length!??! If anything I have a short torso! I think I'd have to be only 4ft tall to wear this though.

Saw these on TV the other day. Apparently it's become a real big thing. The nickname they gave them is horrible, though, so I won't even say it.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:04 am UTC

Do high waisted bikinis exist in physical reality, or are they only trendy on the internet?
I live in Arizona; it's also possible they only exist in the future with regards to what is popular, and available to buy here.

Swim suit shopping is worssse than I remember, and I remember it being pretty hellish.

Why are almost all of the bigger sized suits in funeral parlor colors? Why are the boob holders in swimsuits so ridiculously small and useless? Has strapless always been as big a thing?
I am angry today. I am angry for stupid reasons.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Do high waisted bikinis exist in physical reality, or are they only trendy on the internet?
I live in Arizona; it's also possible they only exist in the future with regards to what is popular, and available to buy here.

I've only ever seen them for sale on the internet. But I never really go to trendy stores IRL. Definitely never seen any in a typical department store. It's a shame, I'd really like to try one on, but I hate returning stuff I bought online.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:46 am UTC

What is a trendy store?

bluebambue

Postby bluebambue » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:13 am UTC

American Apparel, Forever 21

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

Yeah, sorry, I just meant clothing-only stores that are directed at young people (like the ones mentioned above). When I do go shopping, I usually just go to department stores (e.g. JCPenney).

PencilStubs

Postby PencilStubs » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with reoccuring ingrown hairs? I've been getting them every time I shave in the same spot under my arm for the past few years.

I wear loose clothes. I only shave every three or four days. I tried shaving with the grain and shaving with a gel instead of cream, but it didn't help.

Right now, when I get a little red bump, I sterilized a needle and pull out the hair(s). The bump goes away after a few days, but then soon after I shave it comes back. Frustrating!

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

I am lucky to have very light, fine hair so I can get away with not using any creams or gels at all under my arms, however I use bottled hair conditioner when I shave my legs and bits. I don't historically have a problem with ingrowns, but the few times I have gotten them were from when I shaved without any creams or conditioner. I find exfoliating problem-skin areas solves a lot of problems too; it's possible that the ingrown is caused by some wonky follicle shape, and it may help to remove some dead or very very dry skin from the area immediately after (or before if the hair is short enough) shaving.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

I've stopped doing close shaves on the underarms. Now I just sort of graze the hair with a razor every couple of days -- not enough to nick off all the hair, just to mow it down to near skin level. (It probably helps that I don't wear underarm-revealing clothes.)
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

IANAW (I am not a woman) but I tend to get ingrown hairs when shaving ma face...which is sort of like armpit hair. when I start getting repetitive ingrown in an area I have to shave that area in the opposite direction as I normally do for a few "cycles" (I only shave once a week at most)
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

Exfoliation is key. I tend to get a few ingrown hairs after waxing, but I can avoid it if I exfoliate every time I wash, and in the couple days after waxing, pat the area with teatree oil and moisturize.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:25 am UTC

Oh yeah, I have seriously started using Dream Cream religiously. I use "sandstone" soap from lush a lot of the time (super scrubby, like sand does) and it's pretty drying, so I slather myself with the dream cream lotion (also lush) after almost every shower. I cannot describe how amazingly soft this routine has made my skin. It is amazing. And with the added benefit of no ingrowns!

PencilStubs

Postby PencilStubs » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

It has never occurred to me that I should moisturize my armpits (even though I always moisturize my legs after shaving), because my armpits don’t seem noticeably dry. But maybe there actually is a layer of dry/dead skin clogging up the hair and it’s just not bad enough to be obvious. I’ll try the exfoliating, moisturizing and shaving in the opposite direction.

Shaving with hair conditioner also sounds interesting, so perhaps I’ll try that too.

That sandstone soap looks awesome, though I'd be afraid to try it if it's drying. My skin gets horribly dry in the winter on its own, and I like to buy things I can use year-round.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

I have some dry-environment-induced skin issues on my upper arms, so I don't exfoliate or using drying soaps in the winter in general. For example, I'd switch from my current mix of sandstone and sexy peel, and to something like the honey-based "Honey, I washed the kids." Just make the transition when you next run out of soap - not hard to do if you buy in $5 pieces.

ShortChelsea
One thousand four hundred and thirty seven

Postby ShortChelsea » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:57 am UTC

I plan on going no-poo when I run out of shampoo and conditioner. Has anyone here tried it?

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:08 am UTC

I have been doing the baking soda and apple cider vinegar thing for a couple weeks now and like it very much. My hair seems more 'normal' in between washings and I like being able to control the cleansing vs. conditioning aspect of it - if my hair is really greasy, I increase the baking soda, and if it's really dry and frizzy, more vinegar. My mom and my coworker were the ones who convinced me to try it, and although both of them had some kind of 'waiting period' to go through until their hair adjusted to it, my hair was totally fine with the switch right away.

The ratio I use is 1:3 baking soda:water, and 1:4 apple cider vinegar: water (+ some essential oil to make is smell less vinegar-y.) Sometimes I put some coconut oil on the ends to smooth them out and give them a deeper conditioning, and I'll probably do that more often as my hair grows longer as I've noticed the ends typically need more conditioning than my scalp does.
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:00 am UTC

ShortChelsea wrote:I plan on going no-poo when I run out of shampoo and conditioner. Has anyone here tried it?

I think it was on a boing boing thing where this was suggested as awesome if you stuck it through a full month to give your oils time to equilibriate and adapt and whatnot. It was pure unmitigated misery for the entire month. I am so glad my hair has forgiven me. My hair is very very much on the thick side though, so maybe I was not the target audience, or should have waited longer, which I was unwilling to do.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:23 am UTC

I tried no-poo last summer. It took three months of no washing to give up and use shampoo. I have very fine, fairly oily hair, though, so I dunno.

bluebambue

Postby bluebambue » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:58 am UTC

The only people I see spouting the benefits of no-poo have long medium to thick hair. Except for one person, who had about 4 inches of really thick hair and it was (IMO) rather oily.

cplns

Postby cplns » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:02 am UTC

I no-poo now and have been for a few years. I only use conditioner (or, more recently, a co-wash) and an apple cider vinegar rinse every week or so to get rid of build-up, and it has done wonders for my hair. But then, I'm black and have very thick, coarse hair, which needs every drop of oil my head produces. Different hair types are gonna react differently to it, and I haven't met too many girls with thinner hair that have had success with it.

Return to “General”