[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Apparently Anonymous

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

Thanks for the answers!

Breakthrough bleeding is usually shorter and lighter than normal periods though, right? The bleeding atm seems more or less like a period (though it's hard to tell since I'm using tampons now and normally use my mooncup (I didn't even think to take it with me since it seemed impossible to me to get Shark Week again this soon)), but I have no other typical period symptoms - no boob tenderness or cramps or anything. I have a headache, but think it's probably just from dehydration.

I guess it might just be that my body is irregular, but I think I'll ask a gyno when I get back home anyway.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

Sometimes I wonder about the state of gynecology. It just seems so horribly underdeveloped. Unpredictable bleeding? Curled up in pain all day? Serious doctor symptoms!-- unless you're menstruating, in which case, eh, here's some midol, or if it's serious you can go on the pill, or if that version screws with you well I know maybe one or two others you can try. Nothing? Well, maybe there's the nuclear hysterectomy option your insurance won't cover without a serious diagnosis we probably can't/won't give you. Anyway, here's an electric blanket, try to hoard up your sick leave wisely. Next!

It just seems so utterly unacceptably lacking and backward to me, especially mornings like this curled up around a heater hoping the advil will kick in soon. I seriously wonder if it's the remnants of pervasive misogyny, or the historical pathetic dearth of knowledge of women's medicine and anatomy, or some "well God did it to Eve, you can't fuck with that" bullshit. I hope there are people in the field looking for better answers but it seems like most people just regard it as the immutable price of being born with female genitalia rather than a legitimate problem. Anyway, advil kicking in, grumbling over.

(i actually have it really good on the scale, usually a lot of light days leading to one heavy crampy day which has usually pretty much run its course by midafternoon. Plus a bunch of hormonal fuckery and stomach issues, but i read other people's stories and i don't know how the fuck they live with it, i really don't)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

There is also surgery to try and get rid of any endometriosis, which can be effective (and doesn't require a hysterectomy and lets you keep fertility, indeed may even improve it). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. A large problem is the fact that the amount of adhesions and things from endometriosis doesn't always correlate well with the symptoms that the patient is getting (so some people can have not very much and a lot of pain, or lots of stuff and not much pain) so it's hard to know if you'll be treating the problem until after you've done it and seen if the problems go away.

We don't know enough about the causes of lots of these problems. I think a large problem is the lack of suitable animal models - we're really stuck with just non-human primates who are a lot harder (though not impossible) to work with (for ethical reasons and just problems with the fact that they live longer, harder to keep a lot of, etc).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

True. Provided it's endometriosis, though, and provided you can figure out it's endometriosis, which I recall hearing isn't super easy? But if you're in pain and you don't have adhesions? Eh, then that's just menstruation, totally normal. Not worth doing anything special about or looking into because you have lady bits it's what you have to deal with there's nothing wrong with that get over it. grumble.

It's normalized because it is normal but it shouldn't be goddammit. grumble.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

Apparently Anonymous wrote:Breakthrough bleeding is usually shorter and lighter than normal periods though, right?

I usually find breakthroughs to be heavier but shorter -- almost no beginning or ending spotting, just straight to the flow and then done (more or less). And yes, it lacks the cramping of regular periods.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

We're taught that if someone's coming to you about pain or heavy bleeding that's interfering with their lives then it isn't. However, as most of the treatments are hormonal, lots of pain killers, or surgery, then if the patient doesn't want/can't use them, then there isn't much else that you can do, but that doesn't mean that it's normal.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

addams

Postby addams » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

Angua wrote:We're taught that if someone's coming to you about pain or heavy bleeding that's interfering with their lives then it isn't. However, as most of the treatments are hormonal, lots of pain killers, or surgery, then if the patient doesn't want/can't use them, then there isn't much else that you can do, but that doesn't mean that it's normal.

ok. I will weigh in on this one.
Fibroids can be so painful!

In my experience, it was not 24/7. But; When they decided to 'act up' it was a singular kind of experience.
One day, I was doing fine. Regular kind of thing. No sense complaining or making a fuss.
I thought, "It will come and go like the New Moon."

I worked in an office. My job was fairly stationary.
At lunch, I walked out into the sunshine. I thought the sunshine would help. Sometimes it does.
The act of walking did something. Cramps? ummm. It hurt worse than giving birth.

Walking is usually a good idea. That day, getting back to the office was a challenge.
I made it thought the rest of the day, somehow.

It has been a while. You people are talking about blood, anyway.
I was required to sit for about forty minutes or so. It was mildly technical work.

I would go to the toilet area.
There I dressed myself in an extra special large tampon and extra special large pad.
In forty minutes my chair had a pool of blood in it.

I played that game all afternoon.
Hiding my little pool of blood was tricky.
I was able to hide it; I was able to clean it up, FAST!

I know about blood. I know how to deal with it.
It is, just, blood. It was my blood. (shrug)

3% H2O2 is valuable stuff. I like it.

These things often have objective signs.
Fibroids are can be felt by an OB-GYN.
Fibroids show up on ultrasound.

I guess I was lucky. I was born into a modern society and I had medical, at that time.
It seems many of the people of the US have had our luck run out. It seem mine has.

Personal girlie stories? About what to do in case of emergency?
It all depends upon the kind of emergency.

That was a personal inconvenience.
Not an emergency.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:49 am UTC

I've delt with irregular/heavy periods for almost my whole menstrating life. And still no answers. From nov 2012 until april 2013 I bled pretty solidly, which was the start of my "fuck this shit" rage. 6 months of bleeding. No answers. Hormone levels normal. No cysts. Nothing irregular. No endometriosis. Nothing showing up on any screens. Normal normal normal normal normal. I think the most frustrating thing of it all is hearing that word. Over and over and over again. Bleeding for months at a time shouldn't be normal. Of course, I'm often slightly anemic from it. But that's normal given the condition. Oh, there is that word again.

My average period sicne April 2013 has been about 2-5 weeks of solid bleeding, a few days to three weeks of reprieve, and then another 2-5 weeks of bleeding. Nothing seems 'breakthrough' to me. If it's medium to heavy to very heavy to holycrap I may as well just sleep in a bathtub naked to make the mess cleanup easier, I'm doubled over in pain. Not to mention nausia and dizzyness. It's even getting to the point now that I am getting cramps w/o bleeding. Instead of false pregnancy, false period? Confusing.

But nope. I'm normal. Normal normal normal.

It looks like next year once the ACA kicks in I will be able to afford a hystorectomy. That has to solve it once and for all. I'm willing to go to such extremes because that's my only option left to me. And I finally found a local gyno willing to do admit that they can't figure out what is wrong, and if I want the Final Solution I can have it.

I 100% agree all this is so primitive.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

ashtraygirl

Postby ashtraygirl » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

To be honest, it's a lot better than a lot of other specialties. Ok, we don't understand what causes the problems some of the time, but we have some causes, some options for investigation, some treatments (the pill is actually a very effective treatment for many menstrual problems, not sure why it's being dismissed here). Sometimes there are effective surgeries, like laser ablation for endometriosis. I'm not sure what people are expecting, to be quite honest. If you look at other things like IBS or fibromyalgia, we have no idea of the causes, and really no effective treatments. I get that it's frustrating, and that some people are just unhelpful, but what do you want to be told? The body sometimes does weird things, for no apparent reason. Sometimes the tests come back normal, not necessarily because you're normal, but perhaps because we don't know how to test for what's happening to you. No one should be suggesting that it's fine or that you should put up with it, but they can't pull diagnoses and treatments out of nowhere.

Like Angua says, there are treatments, and if people don't want to use them there's not much that can be done, but that's the case with everything else too, not just gyn stuff. There is research ongoing but it's hard to do ethical research in this kind of field. It's far easier to justify research on men than on women of child bearing age. It's very hard to do research that might end up with fertility problems etc.

I don't think it's misogyny, or that people don't care, or that you're just supposed to put up with it. I think we just genuinely don't know some stuff, and that applies to every area of medicine.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

Yes there are a lot of diseases and issues we don't understand. My specialty is in chronic neuropathic pain (crps, fybro, neuropathy, etc) and so I fully get that. But basically half the population has lady bits that cause troubles from some time to another. Yet there havnt been advancements in understanding for a long time. It doesn't add up. And we are behind the times because lady problems were not dealt with or even cared to be understood for a lot longer than many other things, and such attitudes continually perpetrate to the point of many women struggle to even find a doc who will listen much less care and take the time to help, if they have access to care at all. I'm sure Enjua or someone can elaborate but I'm not sure such is a debate for a safespace - as here I feel that if someone is feeling ignored it's not the time to be all "well but look at this other stuff" instead as a safespace it's a place for support and understanding. We can always point to diseases that have more or less medical knowledge but that doesn't negate the fact that women's health lacks options and understanding.

There are lots of reasons why someone might not want xyz treatment. Sometimes the side effects are too horrible themselves and hence not worth it for example. And a lot of treatments that don't work for a particular person. For example I've tried just about every category of pill and I've had (and have) an IUD and I've been told ablations will not work in my case most likely - the cost of ablation and hysto is about the same so I won't waste my time or money. It is very basic medicine - scan for hormone balance, ultrasound, explore lap for endometriosis. Throw a series of medicines at it to see what works if no clues from former. Tests, and options, are quite limited and culminates into "well we can take out the organ for you since it's not working right". I can totally understand how that seems rather barbaric.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

ashtraygirl

Postby ashtraygirl » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

You're right, this is not the place for debate. Apologies.

I do understand how it can be frustrating, as well. I get frustrated with this because I'm so often on the other end of this conversation being told how crap modern medicine is (i.e. how crap my own profession is) and it gets depressing.

Anyway, as I say, I'm sorry for getting all debatey in here. Thank you for the reminder.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

Getting regular sex has led me to paranoia.
While my usual cycle is around 30ish days, I have a fair amount of fluctuation, and things tend to come in shifts. I should not be worried cuz this paranoid is going on 35 days when the last one was 34.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

BobbiBrady

Postby BobbiBrady » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:04 am UTC

Not interested in going into details (insanely long story) but earlier this week I volunteered details about my (estranged) mother's cycle to a private investigator (a stranger to me) and now 48 hours I find myself completely taken away with how my mom's shame about having a period at all is still with me--- and how hard it is to find quick reassurance that periods are normal, and talking about periods with men isn't a complete betrayal of being a woman. When the only commercials, depictions, and discussions are 'safely' enconsed away to 'women's only' spaces, it is hard. I'm not sorry I discussed it: but boy howdy this is hard. Just ranting I guess. Of all the ridiculous injustice I've endured, I don't know why this piece is standing out.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:55 am UTC

I need ideas!

I really need a good waterproof jacket. Like GorTex or such good

However I am having a huge issue with it. I don't like it when the stop above my hips (what is this short coat fad? I don't want my hips soaked because they are sticking out!!) and even when it's long enough they don't seem to be able to zip over my hips. Boobs often compressed but not unbearably just uncomfortably.

I have found a North Face that fits as an XL but color suckkkkks and I can't see dropping $150 on a jacket I hate the color. I'd be happy with lime green and ecstatic with purple. I would consider orange for the right price. But I don't want black or white or gray or hot pink. Which seem to be The Options for most!

I have tried all the local outfitters and even visited an REI while in DC. I tried on every one I could find. No luck. Wtf? I hope someone out there knows of something. This must be a new skinnyfad because I wore out my old waterproof and it fit just peachy and I don't recall any issues finding one (still fits today so it's not my body that changed, and waterproofs don't stretch out lol!)

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:37 am UTC

Alternate suggestion: get both a rain jacket and rain pants. That way the jacket doesn't need to be long, and the whole of you actually stays dry. But if you need your jacket mostly for in-city, short-trip type use, it is a lot easier to not have to bother with the pants. Personally, I usually use an umbrella if my trip isn't worth rain pants plus jacket.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:48 am UTC

Can you get a raincoat from North Face in the same style online (maybe from the UK)? The colours here at North Face seem pretty reasonable (lots of purples and blues, though you do get pink as well), though getting a gortex raincoat here is way over the price that you found (why are so many things so much cheaper in the US?).

They were so expensive when I went shopping (even in the boxing day sales) that I ended up getting mine from Amazon. However, I realise that if you need to try them on for sizing then this might not be a great suggestion.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:34 pm UTC

I do a lot of hiking and backpacking. It often will be a windbreak / thermal barrier not just for waterproofness (and waterproof vs wind break water resistant prices are relatively the same and I'd rather one jacket that did both than two, fit is an issue with each so it wouldn't help that). Rain pants would be nice in future but considering jeans and other pants are hell to find rain pants can't be any easier hah.

I guess it bothers me more than it should it just seems to be yet another "fat girls don't do ___" smacking me upside the head yet again. I never felt so horrible about my body until I started to try and do more. I was doing good there for a while. But I'm worse than I've ever been. Hasn't anyone thought that with "obesity epidemics" maybe if they made cool gear for us fatsos that we'd be more likely to get out and do stuff?

If something doesn't go over my hips or is too tight there, when I move it rides up to my natural waist and acts like a midriff. So very unhelpful. I don't hike standard shit. I might be climbing up a pretty vertical trail or such. It needs to move with me and not just ride up to under my boobs when I move.

I'll try the UK site. I might just have to wait until the spring colors are out. It's the North Face Venture in XL that fits.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:15 pm UTC

Actually, rain pants are generally pretty loose. The idea is generally that you wear them over your normal pants, so mine (which are small) are easily able to go over my normal trousers - they often just have an elastic bit that is really stretchy. Mine look absolutely ridiculous as they are long, and baggy (and if long then that means that going over your midriff should still leave you with lots to cover your legs). They have some clips at the bottom so you can make them tight around your ankles though.

I would definitely go to a store and try them out to see what you think. They can be pretty expensive for what they are (mine were halfprice, but they were originally £30)
GNU Terry Pratchett

NovaNatalia

Postby NovaNatalia » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:19 pm UTC

I have a question about breast development, so I'll put it in spoilers for NSFW subject matter:

Spoiler:
I'm a 23yo transwoman, and as I've taken HRT I've noticed one breast begin to develop much faster than the other; that is, I first noticed a hard lump under (as in towards my lung, not towards my feet) my right nipple a fortnight ago, which has only continued to grow and be incredibly sensitive (if I fold my arms wrong, I quickly find out I've folded my arms wrong). However, I've notice absolutely no change in my left breast at all; is it normal for there to be such a significant delay between the two breasts? Is this a significant delay? Does it mean one will likely be significantly larger than the other?

I'll be posting a copy of this in the LGBT thread, too, because I don't know the overlap between cis- and trans- people's experience in the matter.
I am the way into the doleful city. I am the way into eternal grief. I am the way to a forsaken race ... You who enter here, abandon all hope.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:53 pm UTC

Sensitivity, oh hells yes. Getting hit in the boobs really hurt, from the start of puberty to a few years later. (Gave myself an exploratory thump inna tits just now, to verify that it doesn't really hurt any more.)

And yeah, I had lopsided boobs for the first year at least. Some people's stay noticeably lopsided, some don't.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:36 pm UTC

I'm sorry, I didn't understand that the problem was rain jackets that didn't fit: I thought you could find short jackets that fit, but you would prefer longer jackets, and most of the longer jackets (except one whose colors you didn't like) rode up. I didn't understand that the short jackets were also riding up. That does suck, and the garment industry really should be making fitness and utilitarian clothing in a larger variety of sizes.

It would be much better if the garment industry just made clothes, in a wide variety of sizes, shapes, and colors, but because instead we split people and clothing into categories, often the best fit and most interesting clothing is in someone else's category. So how about the men's section? Because I'm smaller than most of the clothes in the women's section, I buy a fair amount from the boy's section. I know I'm particularly privileged in not being embarrassed to buy from someone else's category of clothes, but the more people do it, the more acceptable it will be, and the more options everyone will have.

I'm sorry natashatasha, I don't remember much about my breast development. Hopefully you'll get actual answers from others!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:00 am UTC

Re breasts: mine didn't hurt at all for a long time but once my hormones started to go all whacky when I was a bit older they did. Now it fluctuates a lot. Sometimes my bf can play hard with them because I barely feel a thing other times they are so sensitive the slightest brush feels like being stabbed with a knife. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. I have one breast larger than the other and it's always been that way.

Enjua - thanks for the idea. I am using one of my bf now. Fits my chest and hips ok but the arms and underpits are too baggy. Does work for now though! I still hope to find a well fitting one soon.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:30 am UTC

Re: Breast Development -
I think mine grew more or less evenly and weren't tender when they first developed, but when I got pregnant last year, the left one grew about three sizes, while the right one grew about one. I stopped wearing v-necks because the V always ended up pointing at the smaller one :? . I also had some pretty serious nipple tenderness. No hard lumps that I remember, but when my seatbelt brushed my nipples, it felt like someone was trying to take them off with a potato peeler, and when I got cold, they hurt so badly that I was nearly in tears.

So...maybe the big rush of hormones you're experiencing is similar to that? It doesn't sound to me like something that would be out of the ordinary.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

NovaNatalia

Postby NovaNatalia » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:08 pm UTC

Thank you all for the information! It's incredibly reassuring to hear that this is completely normal ^.^
I am the way into the doleful city. I am the way into eternal grief. I am the way to a forsaken race ... You who enter here, abandon all hope.

PencilStubs

Postby PencilStubs » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:09 am UTC

I need some clothing advice.

My thigh diameter is about 5 inches less than the diameter of the thigh of my dress pants, so if I pinch off all the extra material while wearing them, there'd be like 5 inches of extra cloth in my hand. Would that be considered acceptably loose, or sloppily baggy?

edit: Relevant: Tumblr post in response to "Okay, really, stop being so overdramatic. Having a period can't be that bad." http://assbutts-and-sherlocked-idjits.t ... 2038920371

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:03 pm UTC

Those of you with experience with birth control pills: When you start taking the pill on the first day of Shark Week, does that typically stop Shark Week more or less quickly or does the period still run its course? I'm more or less mid cycle now (well, considering I've had Shark Week four times in the past two months, it's kinda hard to tell...) and want to start the pill, mainly to be able to control my periods.

At the moment the main priority is a visit from my semi-boyfriend in 2,5 weeks, so I want to do whatever is most likely to minimise bleeding around that time. I gather if I start at any other time than the first day of Shark Week, breakthrough bleeding is likely to happen, but do you think it'll be "past me" more or less in two weeks' time?

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:28 am UTC

I found a link to something that I think might be helpful to some of the people in this thread, as I know that there have been people struggling to find affordable, comfortable and decent-looking bras that fit - Plus Size Bras. They are an eBay store based in Australia that sell lingerie that (imo, anyway) doesn't look bad, and they stock sizes going up to 32E/54E, with cup sizes up to J in some of the smaller band sizes as well. Most, if not all, of their stock seems to be under AU$20, and the international shipping rates seem to be very reasonable. It is worth bearing in mind, though, that they list international shipping times as being up to 8 weeks for longer-distance locations like the UK, Europe and America, and it may be worth enquiring as to the exact sizing of the items, as there are a small number of negative reviewers that have complained about sizing misunderstandings. They do, however, have a size chart link on their store, so it should be possible to measure yourself and get an idea of what to order that way. That said, for only $20, these may be things that you are willing to take as acceptable risks.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:54 pm UTC

Apparently Anonymous wrote:Those of you with experience with birth control pills: When you start taking the pill on the first day of Shark Week, does that typically stop Shark Week more or less quickly or does the period still run its course? I'm more or less mid cycle now (well, considering I've had Shark Week four times in the past two months, it's kinda hard to tell...) and want to start the pill, mainly to be able to control my periods.

At the moment the main priority is a visit from my semi-boyfriend in 2,5 weeks, so I want to do whatever is most likely to minimise bleeding around that time. I gather if I start at any other time than the first day of Shark Week, breakthrough bleeding is likely to happen, but do you think it'll be "past me" more or less in two weeks' time?

For me, it's been dependant on the specific pill. Yaz could sto p my periods, if taken just as I started bleeding, in a day or two, and I "postponed" them with the ok of my doctor for about two years with very little intermittent spotting just by neglecting to take the inactive pills. This only really works if your doc will also prescribe you an additional pack per three month period. Yasmin on the other hand, with its lower hormone levels, took about a day longer to really halt Shark Week in its tracks, and it left some residual spotting for the duration. I just (~3 weeks ago) started the progestin only pill and Shark Week or some heavy spotting showed up yesterday, about 3 days earlier than expected, so I don't think the mini-pill is going to fully eliminate my periods or halt them for at least a little while. Apparently for some people the mini-pill can eliminate periods entirely, I hope this happens to me in time.

If you're really worried about being on Shark Week when your dudeguy comes to town, you could just start taking active pills now and stop when he leaves and hope for the best. Combo hormone pills helped me control when and where the red tide would hit me and it's likely that it'll help you become regular enough that it won't hit while your friend is visiting. Bear in mind, however, that if you're comfortable with it period sex can be pretty great, and it's nothing to be embarassed about. None of the guys I've seen have minded a bit if I offered to shower up with them afterwards. Throw down a towel and have fun! Or, y'know, don't if that's not your thing.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:05 pm UTC

Panache is giving away a sports bra set every day for the rest of January. Band size 28-40, cup options DD-H.
http://www.supporteverymove.co.uk

It's for real...I won today! :-D

It's underwired so I wasn't as interested in it (caves + underwires = suck in general) but everyone seems to love it. Now I get to try it for free!! I'm so excited!! I've not won awesome stuff from drawings before!

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:19 am UTC

Wednesday wrote:For me, it's been dependant on the specific pill. Yaz could sto p my periods, if taken just as I started bleeding, in a day or two, and I "postponed" them with the ok of my doctor for about two years with very little intermittent spotting just by neglecting to take the inactive pills. This only really works if your doc will also prescribe you an additional pack per three month period. Yasmin on the other hand, with its lower hormone levels, took about a day longer to really halt Shark Week in its tracks, and it left some residual spotting for the duration. I just (~3 weeks ago) started the progestin only pill and Shark Week or some heavy spotting showed up yesterday, about 3 days earlier than expected, so I don't think the mini-pill is going to fully eliminate my periods or halt them for at least a little while. Apparently for some people the mini-pill can eliminate periods entirely, I hope this happens to me in time.

If you're really worried about being on Shark Week when your dudeguy comes to town, you could just start taking active pills now and stop when he leaves and hope for the best. Combo hormone pills helped me control when and where the red tide would hit me and it's likely that it'll help you become regular enough that it won't hit while your friend is visiting. Bear in mind, however, that if you're comfortable with it period sex can be pretty great, and it's nothing to be embarassed about. None of the guys I've seen have minded a bit if I offered to shower up with them afterwards. Throw down a towel and have fun! Or, y'know, don't if that's not your thing.

Thanks for the answer! The last gyno I went to was pretty insistant that if I start the pill on any other day, "chaos will break loose", and considering my body tends to be pretty uncooperative on these matters I decided not to risk it in the end. I'll just keep my fingers crossed Shark Week will come as soon as possible and then that the pill will stop it fairly quickly. Luckily my guy isn't icky at all about blood, so that's cool, it's really just about practical matters (having to shower before and after, always having a towel handy that I can stain, no lying around and cuddling after cause I need to go put in my moocup etc.) and about wanting to for once see him without bleeding (somehow Shark Week always sets in when I visit him/he visits, regardless of where I am in my cycle).

I also got an infection of some sorts it seems - I'm pretty sure it's yeast, so I think I'll just self-treat it with canesten and acidophilus and getting rid of sugar in my diet and hope it'll go away soon. If I had time this week I'd maybe go to the gyno to get a diagnosis, but honestly I'm not sure if they'd help me much - last time I was there, I mentioned having pain around the vaginal opening, and he went "yeah, that's normal. You look fine, there's nothing wrong with you" and that was the end of it.

MadParrot

Postby MadParrot » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:11 pm UTC

So I'm running out of everyday undies again, and need to buy some more. I tend to buy the n-packs of bright and cheery cotton undies. One of the local shops used to stock these with decent strength elastic around the top - about a 1cm x 1mm thick. And they were awsome. They don't stock these anymore, instead they've got really thin, weak elastic, that doesn't last that long (and means I end up spending the odd day wearing saggy undies).

I tried buying the expensive 'bonds' ones, the style wiht the 2cm wide band at the top plastered with the brandname (sigh). They're ok, but do give you a wedgie (hell, I just looked at their website and they appear to be riding up the model too!). I think because its some sort of elastic material, not cotton. So I'm not about to spend 100's on replacing my collection for something that's not great.

I notice that the mens undies still use the good elastic, and sometimes I get all excited because I see something in bright colours only to realise they're for kids. Just not in ladies. No fair :(

So, this seems like the corner of the internet that would have ideas. Anyone know of good brands (I'm in australia) with real elastic (either cheap or good quality). Or am just being over fussy lol?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:28 pm UTC

Underwear is a major pain in the ass (sometimes literally). My pet peeve is elastic that is too strong around the legs -- I get a bruisy feeling after a few hours of wearing brands like Jockey.

I haven't yet found a brand I like and can name. (Doesn't help that I always cut out the label because of itchy.) Found some good shorts once at a small shop that is now gone, which is a too-common story. :evil:
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

addams

Postby addams » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:34 am UTC

MadParrot wrote:So I'm running out of everyday undies again, and need to buy some more. I tend to buy the n-packs of bright and cheery cotton undies. One of the local shops used to stock these with decent strength elastic around the top - about a 1cm x 1mm thick. And they were awsome. They don't stock these anymore, instead they've got really thin, weak elastic, that doesn't last that long (and means I end up spending the odd day wearing saggy undies).

I tried buying the expensive 'bonds' ones, the style wiht the 2cm wide band at the top plastered with the brandname (sigh). They're ok, but do give you a wedgie (hell, I just looked at their website and they appear to be riding up the model too!). I think because its some sort of elastic material, not cotton. So I'm not about to spend 100's on replacing my collection for something that's not great.

I notice that the mens undies still use the good elastic, and sometimes I get all excited because I see something in bright colours only to realise they're for kids. Just not in ladies. No fair :(

So, this seems like the corner of the internet that would have ideas. Anyone know of good brands (I'm in australia) with real elastic (either cheap or good quality). Or am just being over fussy lol?

Do you have Costco?

https://www.costco.com.au/index.shtml
They say you do.

It does take some guess work.
They may offer more online than in the store.

I find a thing they have that 'works'.
Then, that is what I use.

Costco is the store of Mass Quantities.
It is Normal to buy a year's supply.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:37 am UTC

I don't know what size you wear, but I like Layne Bryant. They have a few different cuts (thong, low brief, reg brief, boyshort), but the basic low brief is the one I prefer because it doesn't come up past my belly button (eww, impo) but it doesn't fall off my arse. The elastic is snug but not pinchy and I don't get wedgies. I think Catherines (?) is their "regular size" sister store - I know they have one for "regular size" (Layne Bryant is a "plus size" store and their cuts of undies had more bumspace I need haha). I wait for the 5 for $25 sale and take the ever-abundant $15 off $15 coupon to purchase bringing the total price down to basically $2 a pair. My oldest pairs from them have lasted about 3 years. they have a new thin microfiber type material one, which is (impo) softer than the cotton and better for outdoor/sweaty actives as it dries a lot faster than the cotton if you sweat. The thin microfiber type one is more costly (3 for $20 on sale, I think) but worth it if you could use a fast drying panty.

MadParrot

Postby MadParrot » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:42 am UTC

Thanks :) Yeah, thinking of trying the 'boyshort' (I think) style ones, see how they go. Hopefully not stupidly warm in this weather.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:05 pm UTC

They're annoying if you wear tightish jeans with them. The edges roll up as you pull the jeans on on top of them and you have to fix it. I'm a fan of tight jeans and no pantylines though, so if that doesn't bother you you'll have a better run with them than I did.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:17 pm UTC

I tried boyshorts: they don't work for me. My ass is too big, I think. I get very bad wedgies from boy shorts. The only thing that seems to work for me are bikini-cut underwear. They actually stay put, don't fold and sag like briefs or ride up like hipsters and boy shorts. But the size of the elastic seems immaterial to me, and I prefer stretchy fabric (so it actually fits instead of folding or riding up), so you and I seem to have different problems in underwear.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:17 pm UTC

The St. Eve's line at Kohls has a ton of styles, they make nice hipster styles that fit me well; if you pick them up on sale they're super cheap.

I also just picked up a bunch of pairs from Muji; Japanese brand that are super stretchy/soft and fit my utter lack of butt well. A lot of other brands will have too much fabric in the butt; I'll end up with super saggy undies as they stretch out.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:39 pm UTC

So. I have really thick hair that was kinda wavy up north. But down south higher humidity...my hair looks oh so cute sometimes when it gets these big wavy curls! but alas. I brush it out to get tangles gone, and it frizzes and uncurls =( if i don't touch it it feels tangled which is an odd sensation. Ideas to keep the awesome and still be able to brush?

NovaNatalia

Postby NovaNatalia » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:07 am UTC

Have you tried only brushing while it's damp? I find that's the only way to stop mine from going incredibly frizzy. There are also defrizzing sprays you can get, too.

Return to “General”