[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

liberonscien
-ce

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7757&start=240

Postby liberonscien » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:06 am UTC

Moo wrote:I think you mean menstrual cramps, as the entire menstrual cycle is a continuous cycle going on 100% percent of the time.

As to the pain level, it differs hugely between women. Some women feel nothing. Some have dull aches. Some, especially sufferers of certain medical conditions (cystic fibrosis, polycystic ovarian syndrome, endometriosis etc), do have incredibly painful menstruation. I don't think (jeez I hope not) anyone has that level of pain continuously though (and if they do they probably need to see a doc asap).

I can't talk to the comparability to a broken bone as I luckily fall into the "dull ache" category 90% of the time (and also have never broken a bone). My ovulation is far more painful than my menstruation.

I do mean that.

Ah. I am very ignorant on this subject.

I don't know how to respond to this. Good job? Lucky break?
Moo wrote:Just "thanks for the info" should cover it, I think.

I was referring to this:
Moo wrote:snip
I can't talk to the comparability to a broken bone as I luckily fall into the "dull ache" category 90% of the time (and also have never broken a bone). My ovulation is far more painful than my menstruation.

When I said this:
liberonscien wrote:I don't know how to respond to this. Good job? Lucky break?
snip
Last edited by liberonscien on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:13 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Warning: This user is currently questioning its beliefs. This user offers its sincerest apologies if it accidentally offends another user. This user never offends others on purpose and may accidentally offend other users because it lacks knowledge regarding how to be a normal human.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Moo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:36 am UTC

Just "thanks for the info" should cover it, I think.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Re: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7757&start=160

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:03 pm UTC

liberonscien wrote:
This thread has been very informative. I shall return here at a later date.

I'm considering reading the entire thread or at the very least a dozen pages and to remember my place in it, I am posting a link:

[...]

*entering robot mode* I hear a menstrual cycle can be compared to breaking a bone, but continuously. Is that correct? If so, then I probably can't sympathize correctly since I've never really broken a bone.

liberonscien, you seem like someone who is super desperate not to upset people but I feel like you made some mistakes in your post and I'd like to point them out because it's made me feel uncomfortable about posting here again.
- This is a thread tagged safespace, it's for people to share and vent. It's not intended as a learning resource or a 101 on identifying as a woman. By starting your post with 'this has been very informative' kind of makes me feel like you are cataloging a bunch of personal stuff that's been written by folks for years. Stuff about sex, contraceptives, gender identity that gets buried for a good reason. I mean, only posts ago there was a small discussion about what it feels like to get an IUD put in. I'd rather you didn't attempt to learn what it's like being a woman from this thread because it is not there for that. This is not your space.
- Asking about period pain is very 101. You can find a whole bunch of resources/descriptions of period having folks talking about how they feel all over the internet. Again, this is not the point of the thread. The point of the thread is to provide a point of contact for the ladies here.

---

The reason the thread exists is usually because women are usually a minority in geeky areas and it is nice to have a space (a safespace if you will) which allows women to talk freely amongst each other without feeling as though someone is going to jump in saying 'Periods, huh? Those are weird because I don't have them!' I also don't like the feeling that someone is creeping along all the thread afterward to read about things that I've posted in here about. We're not here as your resource or for you to study.

If you are interested in women's experiences, start a thread detailing your questions or even google it. If you are interested in sexual experiences, I'd also suggest starting a thread, maybe in the Love, Sex and Relationships subfora. There are appropriate places to take your questions and I don't want to be rude, but this is not the place.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

liberonscien
-ce

Re: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7757&start=160

Postby liberonscien » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:16 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:
liberonscien wrote:
This thread has been very informative. I shall return here at a later date.

I'm considering reading the entire thread or at the very least a dozen pages and to remember my place in it, I am posting a link:

[...]

*entering robot mode* I hear a menstrual cycle can be compared to breaking a bone, but continuously. Is that correct? If so, then I probably can't sympathize correctly since I've never really broken a bone.

liberonscien, you seem like someone who is super desperate not to upset people but I feel like you made some mistakes in your post and I'd like to point them out because it's made me feel uncomfortable about posting here again.
snip

I am.
I'm sorry. I accidentally did the thing I was trying to avoid doing.
I'll just not post here again.
Edit: Wait, does anyone else feel this way towards me?
Warning: This user is currently questioning its beliefs. This user offers its sincerest apologies if it accidentally offends another user. This user never offends others on purpose and may accidentally offend other users because it lacks knowledge regarding how to be a normal human.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:35 pm UTC

liberonscien wrote:I am.

I can't speak for anyone else but thank you for taking this on board, I appreciate it. I hope that you can find the answers to your questions in other parts of the fora and if you'd like to ask me any specific questions about what it's like to be a lady, I might be able to provide answers if you want to PM me at some point.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:59 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:
liberonscien wrote:I am.

I can't speak for anyone else but thank you for taking this on board, I appreciate it. I hope that you can find the answers to your questions in other parts of the fora and if you'd like to ask me any specific questions about what it's like to be a lady, I might be able to provide answers if you want to PM me at some point.

Alright.
Thank you.
Unrelated note: The text underneath your username says it is your birthday today. If that is accurate, then have a happy birthday.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:33 pm UTC

How about trying https://www.reddit.com/r/AskWomen/? Tons of history to dig through, FAQs, and it's explicitly for asking women things, so absolutely everybody involved knows and agrees to what they're getting into.

Like most questions about people, the answer to whatever you're asking about women is a lot of times going to be "it depends". Possibly slightly more often, because solid research has been harder to come by. You can draw some generalizations, sure, but it's never going to be easier than evaluating Amazon reviews. People, man, I don't even know anymore.

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:02 pm UTC

ameretrifle wrote:How about trying https://www.reddit.com/r/AskWomen/? Tons of history to dig through, FAQs, and it's explicitly for asking women things, so absolutely everybody involved knows and agrees to what they're getting into.

Like most questions about people, the answer to whatever you're asking about women is a lot of times going to be "it depends". Possibly slightly more often, because solid research has been harder to come by. You can draw some generalizations, sure, but it's never going to be easier than evaluating Amazon reviews. People, man, I don't even know anymore.

Thank you. This is the kind of thing I'm looking for. I may be one step closer to understanding a sub set of people now. Thank you.

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 am UTC

The question of us having another kid has come up four or five times in the last three days (from respectively both my grandparents, my kid and a checkout lady at the fucking store) and wow that is just super I love it it makes me feel awesome.
The kid is excused from my ire, he is sweet and inquisitive and would love a sibling and doesn't understand that my body sucks.

Edit: Fuck it I've just made an appointment with my gynae for next week
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:02 pm UTC

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but my first reaction was "what's wrong with the one you already made?"
ImageImageImageImageImage

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:56 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:Maybe I'm a weirdo, but my first reaction was "what's wrong with the one you already made?"

An only child?? But it'll grow up all weird and antisocial and selfish and who will it ever talk with and they'll hate you forever for not giving them the precious and perpetual joy that a sibling guarantees!!

Not saying anyone here espouses that belief, just a bitter only child who's sick of all the assholes out there who unthinkingly do. Christ, are people ridiculous about reproduction.

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:26 am UTC

jesus thanks guys so helpful I'll be sure to come back here for support and venting when I'm hurting ever again

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:38 pm UTC

As a grateful only child who doesn't ever want to have children, it's hard to know what to say that doesn't seem hollow.

If you want more children, then having trouble with that must be horrible and painful and I'm sorry.

I'm also sorry that everyone feels entitled to ask you about the current/future state of your uterus. That really sucks and I'm sorry.

I don't care what anyone says, it isn't your fault and you shouldn't feel ashamed or guilty. I know it's probably hard not to, because our culture sucks, but here's one voice telling you you don't have to, if it does any good.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:18 am UTC

Zomg posting again.
So i gave up shaving leghair because my texture sensitives decided to hate even hour old stubble. In the middle of summer. When it is like 110° and 80% humidity. *rage*

It is relativly longish now and finally settling down and i can stand it texture wise again. But this is longer than its ever been since i started shaving, and holycrap it is dark and thicker post puberty!

I tried moom (sugaring) twice, years ago. I did like the super smooth for three days (yeah thats all it lasts before stubble city again). But i did some research and shaving cuts off the finer tops so maybe hair from scratch would feel better and look finer? Also is it true that repeated sugaring eventually thins out/gets rid of hair?

Honestly due to my sensory issues Id love to lazer it off but cost wise that is not an option. My main issue is even hour or two old stubble from shaving I cant stand all the way through this almost-grown stage.

So what do you think texture wise?
- leave as is, itll grow out more and eventually new hair will be finer tipped
- sugar once, for a clean slate and faster fine tip
- sugar lots to make it less dense and die off (if this acrually happens? How many times does one have to?)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/her/they/snug/gender neutral

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:35 am UTC

Apparently only some people get finer/less hair over the years with constant waxing/sugaring. Many don't. I wouldn't decide based on that alone.

If you'd enjoy the post-sugar experience better than the keep-growing one, do that if it won't break the bank. You're probably right that you will end up with soft-tipped hair faster that way.

I gave up shaving a while ago and just wear pants all the time (or long skirts with socks) because ingrown hairs suck. (And so does all depilating, frankly, in all its gnarly forms. Can I get a hellya from folks who shave face every day?) Going au naturel does cause a bit of anxiety now and then, and I sometimes get envious of people who wear nice things that show calf. Still worth it.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:44 am UTC

I've waxed for years and my follicles did give up and shrivel, my hairs are sparse and fine, but obvs I don't know that that will necessarily be your experience. I'm a fan, for the record.

I will say though that what you may gain in stubble you might pay for in ingrown hairs. If you do wax/sugar, please exfoliate well for the first week after. I also have some lovely tea tree oil based anti-ingrown-hair lotion I use, but then again sensitive skin won't like the tea tree oil.

Good luck and if you do just go straight up bushy don't let anyone make you feel less than. You go for what works for you.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:21 pm UTC

I might give it one go at least then.
Moo how many times did it take before your hair lessened, if you dont mind me asking?

I will never just wear pants. I used to in michigan. But down south its just too friggin hot. And like today, off to be an instructor for a wilderness rescue class, todays stuff is in a high bay with no AC and its a good day to wear shorts. But i already have troubles as a well chested person with male students (especially from Good Ol Boy fire and rescue squads) getting them to listen to me. I actually had to think uhm I need to wear pants because if i have leg hair (its dark and thick by now) AND breats this is gonna be double hard.

And then i hate i have to think that way and plan as such. Just to be accepted as an instructor.

Hopefully it goes well. Two years ago I had to quietly requwst from our unit lead to not be assigned as the instructor to any group with two certain dudes in it. They litterally refuses to listen to me. In a three day crash course I dont have time to fix their misogyny AND teach. Luckily our unit lead is great and didnt ask questions (hed observed some issues already but is not the kind to assume and step in unless we ask) just assigned me to a different group.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:38 am UTC

Sungura wrote:I might give it one go at least then.
Moo how many times did it take before your hair lessened, if you dont mind me asking?
I honestly don't know, it was gradual and one day I just realised "oh hey you guys are looking kind of like you gave up on life". But I think we're talking order of years, not months. I want to say 1-2? But I'm kind of making up stuff tbh.

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:26 am UTC

I haven't shaved in at least two years now.

Fresh hairs are definitely softer.

I happily go out in cute clothes with pits and legs showing, or to the beach with my bikini line not all trimmed.

If I want shorter hair, I use a beard trimmer I bought for my lady-beard. Using it on my pits doesn't feel very stubbly, but ymmv.

Hallelujah for lack of ingrowns, though.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:42 am UTC

I think I must be lucky with ingrowns.
I think Ive had a few over the (15?) years but none that bothered me and they fix themselves.
I take it that is not normal...?

The annoying bit is my leghair from knees down is wirey dense and black. On very pale skin. Knees up is sparse and mostly red and thinner (Im naturally pretty red toned in my headhair, like half medium brown and half red). So it kinda looks like i inverse shaved hahaha. Very interesting stark delineation.

On one hand I dont give two fucks.
On other hand the delination is bothering my aspie brain something fierce. And texture.
On one hand I like bucking culture.
On other hand i feel bad that I dont like (especially the knee down) hair and want it gone. And then I feel bad I want to go with modern beauty standards.

The black hair is definitly thicker and more wirey. I think we are definitly sugaring at least knees-down. My comfort is a legit reason, right?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:54 am UTC

Yep.
TEAM SHIVAHN

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:30 am UTC

The legitest

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:33 pm UTC

I did it. Knees down and a bit on inner thigh where the texture gets me the most. I dont want to wash the strips so i threw them away LOL.

Interesting observation - my legs feel quite smooth (i did run a razor after to get the few pathes i missed) and the fine red hairs did not pull out. Only thick wirey dark ones did.

Im okay with this. Ill still need to shave a bit every few days as I did a patchwork job but right this moment i am loving it

Also my hair is back to purple highlights. Woot!

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:31 am UTC

Won't shaving undo what you were aiming for?

But anyhoo well done.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:50 am UTC

Maybe I should cover up my acne and wear makeup again. A five-year-old just asked me what's wrong with my face.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:16 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Won't shaving undo what you were aiming for?

My skin was too sensitive when it missed like 0.5-1cm wide spots between strips to re-do those spots, and apparently a few spots on my thighs are SUPER sensitive and so I did a few tiny bits on inner thigh where they touch (i hate stubblerub, makes the heatrash rub that happens 5x worse). So the spots I didn't get is all I shaved. Maybe next time around I can get more.

Moo wrote:Maybe I should cover up my acne and wear makeup again. A five-year-old just asked me what's wrong with my face.

That sucks. I have no solution to this other than do what makes you feel happy.

Spoilered for a bit of related self-rant and what I've gone to doing.
Spoiler:
30 and still get super deep huge painful oozy zits that make me feel so super ugly. My partners insist I am beautiful and they dont really notice and none of them are fans of makeup...but they never notice when I do wear it to cover up zits either.
My mom's solution? Have a boy 'cause hers cleared up when she had my brother. :roll:
I dont have money for dematology treatments and I cant stand most makeup textures and I wash my face a lot -I try to just use water since I know over drying is a bad cycle of oil-dry-oil-dry, but i hate any oily feeling on it...FWIW I've been using the LUSH makeup and it hasn't made my breakouts worse and it does a decent job of covering it up and it doesn't feel oily. And since I only use it as cover up it only takes a minute or two. For me it's the balance of when I'm going out of the house and feel self-conscious it makes me feel good and confident but it isn't a ton of effort.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:59 pm UTC

Sungura/Moo, I'd love to help you find skincare solutions that work better for you if you're interested at all. Very happy to do some research/legwork. I've succumbed to the /r/asianbeauty cult and have never had happier, clearer skin in my life.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:31 am UTC

Wednesday wrote:Sungura/Moo, I'd love to help you find skincare solutions that work better for you if you're interested at all. Very happy to do some research/legwork. I've succumbed to the /r/asianbeauty cult and have never had happier, clearer skin in my life.

Thank you, I really appreciate the offer. The solution, for me, is to back the fuck away from the carbs so my insulin resistance goes back into hiding, but my recent bout of self loathing has made it hard. I probably have a binge eating disorder. Keto has helped in the past with that too, but I'm struggling to stay on it at the moment. Three days in this time, here's hoping.

I'm not saying the right skin care routine won't help the symptoms but due to said self loathing I am unlikely to follow it. A total abandonment of (physical) self care has been characteristic of the current bout. I barely manage to make myself brush my teeth at the moment. /overshare. Seems to slowly be getting better?

But, really, I'm not just saying that, your interest and offer made me feel cared about which really helps at the moment.

On that note I should NOT have started participating on reddit again. I forgot how awful the internet (world?) is. Got spoiled by this place.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:38 pm UTC

That's all really fair! I've dealt with my fair share of binge eating and disordered eating, I'd like to hope I understand some of that struggle. Caring for my skin specifically has turned into a way to show myself care when I feel really, really shitty - which was a long battle, and a long transition from doing the opposite, but it feels a little bit better now.

You are cared about, and the offer is open whenever you're interested, if ever.

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:13 pm UTC

I have an iud. Usually I have standard periods on it, but not always. The last two were kind of sketchy. Last time I was pregnant, I had atleast one sort of period.

I've gained a lot of weight this month. I assumed it was the significantly less exercise due to hip injury combined with much eating out, but now I'm worried.

So today I go to pharmacy and pee on stick, just in case. I don't believe I am pregnant, but now that I've come up with the idea, I'm screwed until I negate it. Ugh.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:35 pm UTC

I have a pregnancy test hanging out in a drawer because I got pregnant while on an IUD and waiting to get to a store sucked. I hope you are fetus-free!
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:27 am UTC

Fetus free and now cramping with terrible period on vay-cay! Woo!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:35 pm UTC

aEwjE0M_700b_v2.jpg
TEAM SHIVAHN

- Zach Weinersmith

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:12 pm UTC

Give Aunt Flo a hug for me.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:31 pm UTC

I miss my periods. I'm on the woo-ier end of the spectrum and I miss feeling connected to my body every month. My periods were pretty ok, not irregular, not usually that painful, but when I started dating my current partner it became clear that I needed some Really Reliable birth control, because I would <not> be capable of aborting a kid with him....so I got Mirena implanted ~9 months ago. Since then my periods have all but disappeared, I spot for half a day and get super hungry, and that's about the worst of it. I miss it though. Wah.

Babyfeels. Wah.

Hekateras

Postby Hekateras » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:34 pm UTC

Aw, is this thread dead? Where'd you all go?

AFAIK the "period = NOT PREGNANT" thing is ... ngh, not really reliable, hell, my mom initially disbelieved she was pregnant because she'd had what passed for an abnormal period a short time before. Spoiler alert, obviously she WAS in fact pregnant. (It's not actually menstruation, but it's similar enough that many people don't know the difference and wrongly assume they're menstruating when it's just the vagina doing... weird stuff in response to the pregnancy.) So assuming that one is not pregnant due to some vaginal bleeding could be pretty risky.

My periods hit me like a truck on days 2 through 4, thereabouts, but I'm way too leery of doing anything to my body or messing with my hormones to ever consider anything against it. That stuff freaks me out. Plus, the cramps are usually not that bad, it's more the inconvenience of having a SUPER high flow volume, ruined sleep from sleeping too lightly but usually ruining the underwear and/or sheets ANYWAY, and having to plan in a pad or tampon change literally every three hours.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:40 am UTC

Hi Hekateras! It feels quiet, that's for sure!
I still read, every now and then, but sometimes the gaps have been 8 months or so.

It makes me sad because the fora, but the women's thread especially, was a defining part of my growing up... going from shy and sheltered into the world of the internets and discovering more about moon cups, IUDs, polyamory, transgender issues etc. Discovering other webcomics through xkcd and the stories that those comics are telling. I don't know.

The names in here are names I've been seeing for 11 years, but most of the time I don't feel like I've got anything to say anymore. I'm mostly OK with who I am now so the anxst has gone, and maybe that's all I really used to talk about?

Well OK, I'm in a long-term monogamous relationship despite the part of me that would be interested in trying other things. And we're buying a house and ignoring the part of me that wants to flip the bird at settling down and take off around the world to travel and not have much money but at least not be tied down. That's normal though right? Is it possible to do EVERYTHING that makes you happy and is inline with what you want? I want, or think I want, such conflicting things... and am eternally envious of those here who seem to be so comfortable being themselves and knowing themselves.

I'll sure as hell be posting for help if I ever felt inclined to sugar or wax though. I don't deal with pain well, and would have no idea what I was doing at all. Thankfully I'm pretty ineffectual at growing leg hairs. How is it after 2 months Sungura? Was it better than shaving?

Return to “General”