[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Re: Girl Thread: Attack Wombs to the Ready!

Postby Twasbrillig » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:39 am UTC

Moo wrote:I globber for you Twas, really I do, but I really like the way you refer to the girls as "marks" and "targets".

Whilst I was vying for the two girls at the same time, I used the euphemism (when speaking to my friends about the matter) that I was a single soldier, and they were enemy forces. For instance, when I started to make passes at the second girl, I was a lone sniper, firing against enemy troops. I had taken out the primary defense bases and was picking off, one by one, the secondary units - and the tertiary units were beginning to flee.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 am UTC

I don't think you're helping your case Twas. Especially since you're in the girl thread.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:49 am UTC

Will wrote:I don't think you're helping your case Twas. Especially since you're in the girl thread.

I thought it was cute. :(

'Tis just a means of indirectly saying what was happening in the psychosocial 'battle' that is a relationship.

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:55 am UTC

if relationships are battles, you're probably doing it wrong.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

agreed, it sounds more like seduction, grooming or even manipulation but not a relationship.
in ur beanz makin u eveel

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:16 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
darwinwins wrote:that's pretty damn girly.
No. This is girly:
Notice the pink, and the tassels.

CatProximity wrote:Anyway, this is my bag.

And that is useful. The two are all too often incompatible.

you can't compare the two! the first is a purse and has a practical value for certain occasions. the second is a courier bag. it's shiny/glossy and has a big ass plastic clip with a white whirly design thingy. the first i can't really have an opinion on since i possess the Y-chromosome (i'm lying - i think it's hideous), but the second ... as a fan of courier bags and day packs, the thing is fugly. both are girly. i don't think there should need to be a demarcation betwixt feminine and girly cos in this context, they mean the same.
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:23 pm UTC

Twas wrote:Stuff

Okay, on top of the "girls as targets" foolishness...

Isn't the "whine about girls/relationships thread" over that way somewhere?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

darwinwins wrote:You can't compare the two!
Yes, I can. They are both bags. One is practical. The other is "girly". Neither is both.

i don't think there should need to be a demarcation betwixt feminine and girly cos in this context, they mean the same.
I have made no such differentiation. I am, in fact, using "girly" to mean feminine. The gender neutral courier bag is not feminine. There is certainly nothing wrong or objectionable about a girl carrying a courier bag. But being female does not make carrying a courier bag feminine -- or, in this case "girly."

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:47 pm UTC

A classic, elegant black dress which subtly accents the figure is feminine. A short pink dress with ruffled, poofy sleaves, a Hello Kitty! embossed on the skirt and a ribbon around the waste is girly.

They're different. Always.

Girly implies feminine. Feminine does NOT imply girly.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

And yet when someone refers to themselves or another as being a "girly girl" they aren't talking about dressing in pink hello kitty dresses. They're usually talking about things like wearing full makeup, having matching shoe-handbag sets, getting pedicures, etc.

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

Oh-Kaaaaay, the hello kitty thing wasn't an EXCLUSIVE definition of girly. It can include but is not limited to any subset or combinations of the following: pedicures, handbags, owning makeup other than a few basics, liking pink, giggling, fawning over generally accepted attractive music and film stars, giggling behind hands in public places, reading celeb and fashion magazines, having an unrealistic attachment to shoes, shopping addiction, watching soap operas, knowing who Laura Ashley is, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

I still stand by the assertion that girly is a subset of feminine.

Sarah Jesicca Parker's character in Sex and the City was girly, and feminine. Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's was feminine without being girly.

My point was not to try to define girly but to illustrate the difference between the two with an example. The above comparison is the same and should not be considered a complete definition, it is purely for illustrative purposes.

(edited during several "and another thing" moments)
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

lamarguerite

Postby lamarguerite » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:54 pm UTC

Twasbrillig wrote: story

That was a long story. :shock: I had no idea people thought about relationships that way. I join the camp of "We are not targets!"

I'm glad your friends with # 1, and try to stay friends with the others? Friends are good. Really.

Also, I wrote a card for Wolf pretty much saying "I don't wanna date you!", even though we'd been a little flirty, and we stayed friends for a year and then I was like "OK NEVERMIND YES I DO". So... it happens. We're crazy and unpredictable, and it's not your fault.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:21 pm UTC

@twas: What the confusingly named woman with a nice jacket said.

Concerning feminine versus girly: That's interesting. I never thought of it like that. It just seemed a usage difference to me. Girly being used in a condescending manner, or in jest, whilst feminine was always respectable. I will keep this in mind in the future *files it away in the candyfloss of her thoughts*
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

I request a return to a girl-led discussion of girl-things. Who's got something to share?

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

Me! Me! I have cake!

Wait... I'm not a girl, sorry, I can't share it here. It will be shared in the man-thread.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

Exceptions can be made for cake. It had better contain chocolate or have a yummy frosting though!

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:54 pm UTC

Okay then, it's got huge amounts of icing and marzipan on top of a fruitcake (with chocolate chips) base. This is actually my dream cake, and now I'm not sure if I want to share it with you all...
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

Marzipan is good in moderate amounts. Otherwise, it just kills everything.
As does fruitcake. *cue Jim Gaffigan*

Also, I'm a very picky cake eater. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a store-bought cake. Unless it's angel's food, because that cake wins by default. Of course, that leads me to believe that most of the taste of the cake lies in the frosting. This means, of course, that I am stuck making my own cakes for years to come, until stores come to the realization that they need to make better frosting. Until then, I am stuck either turning down cakes at parties or giving my slices to somebody else.

kcr

Postby kcr » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:31 pm UTC

darwinwins wrote:
Azrael wrote:
darwinwins wrote:that's pretty damn girly.
No. This is girly:
Notice the pink, and the tassels.
the first i can't really have an opinion on since i possess the Y-chromosome (i'm lying - i think it's hideous)

I would agree with that.

Ok, I won't try to hide my harmless ulterior motives for posting in the girl thread today. I got a gift card for Christmas and am using it to buy some clothing right at this moment (online shopping for the win), but I'm a bit conflicted and so am coming HERE for advice. Tunic type tops.. thoughts? Body types that they should and should not be on? Thanks to all of you with the womanly words of wisdom.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.

::clears throat:: Isn't the "whine about girls/relationships thread" over that way somewhere?

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

I'm not much of a fashionista, but a few things that I think are good to pay attention to:

Sleeves - the little puffed sleeves that are on a lot of things now aren't good if you have broad shoulders (like I do). They make you look like a football player. They're like the new shoulderpads. They look nice if your shoulders are more narrow.

Necklines - V necks make your neck look longer and thinner. I think square necks are almost universally flattering. Scoop necks or crew necks aren't so great if you have a big chest...they sort of make a big pear shape on the top of your figure that can look odd.

Waistlines - Empire waists are tricky, because they can look - even on thin people - like maternity clothes...but they're also very nice for creating waists and hiding bellies. With a tunic top you pretty much want something that goes away from your body instead of being clingy. Even if you're totally secure about your hips and waist (I'm not), if it's long and tight it will cling to all the lumps and bumps created by your waistband and your belt loops and the button on your pants and such, and it will look funny and lumpy. Long and tight only works if you're wearing a very smooth skirt underneath.

I tend to think the tops that have a seam that is meant to go sort of across the collar bones and have bubble hems are SO unflattering, even on people with nice figures, they just take away all shape. I also hate most prints and nearly always go for solid colors in earthtones, jewel tones or black but that's just a matter of personal preference.
Good luck!
Last edited by PictureSarah on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

Jesus Christ Belial, I have to type that all out again? Bah I say, bah!

...could have at least let me defend my case. Now everyone hates me (more) for the whole 'targets' thing, even though I thought I provided a quite good explanation of it.

For those of you who missed my post: the relationship is not the battle, the breaking of social-relation barriers is.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:01 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Waistlines - Empire waists are tricky, because they can look - even on thin people - like maternity clothes...but they're also very nice for creating waists and hiding bellies. With a tunic top you pretty much want something that goes away from your body instead of being clingy. Even if you're totally secure about your hips and waist (I'm not), if it's long and tight it will cling to all the lumps and bumps created by your waistband and your belt loops and the button on your pants and such, and it will look funny and lumpy. Long and tight only works if you're wearing a very smooth skirt underneath.

Can you explain what an empire waist is?

I sometimes really hate my body, but it is what it is.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:22 am UTC

An empire waist is when the narrowest part of the garment (I'm not sure if there *has* to be a seam there or not, but I'm not sure I've ever seen an empire waist without a seam at the waist) is right under the bust instead of at the natural waist. Some examples here.
Eugenia 4April.JPG
Eugenia 4April.JPG (15.03 KiB) Viewed 3401 times

empire-dress.jpg
empire-dress.jpg (60.91 KiB) Viewed 3397 times

0474750186763_ASTL_300x400.jpg
0474750186763_ASTL_300x400.jpg (15.63 KiB) Viewed 3395 times

Empire waists can be great because they can hide love handles, belly bulges, etc...but they can also look suspiciously like maternity clothes. I think they were invited by some mistress of a French king back in the day in order to hide her pregnancies for as long as possible. I think it has to do with the fullness of the skirt beneath the seam. Fluffier = more likely to look like maternity garb.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:44 am UTC

I really like empire waists because I've a naturally boyish shape with no real hips or natural waist and so when clothes are cut to display a normal waist, under the ribs, they just serve to illustrate how waistless I am, whereas waisting a garment just under the bustline serves to make my modest bosom look more impressive and gives the impression of my being in possession of some sort of shape rather than my trunk shaped torso.

Also, that ivory dress, (a wedding gown?) is beautiful.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:53 am UTC

Oooo pretty!
I will endevour to find more clothes like this, which might make me look less horrible.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Empire waists... I always thought those dresses were simply VERY poorly fitted. I had no idea they were designed that way. I must say I do not find them the least bit attractive.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:26 am UTC

I can't seem to find ANY skirts or dresses that accentuate my modest bust and very nice butt. It CANNOT go below the knee because I'm 4' 11" 32-27-35. As yo'uns know, you can't wear a floofy, shin-length skirt without looking like you're drowning in taffeta or whatever if you're shorter than 5' 5". It's either above the knee or floor-length, according to my fashionista friends.

I'm thinking something slinky and stretchy with a high hem but that feels...skanky. I have a bit of a tum, and I know women usually do, but I still feel weirdly S-shaped when I wear something that clings close to my abdomen. Also, I have very pretty back/neck/shoulders/upper arms, but I don't know what fashions show that off without being a damnable tubetop (too clubbin') or an evening dress (too dressy for work and school). I'm at a loss. I can't think of anything that does so without seeming way too prissy and/or skanky.

If I can't wear comfy, size 2 shoes with it, it's really not of any use for me. Pumps do NOT come in my size, nor do really nice boots (that I know of). I can't dress up in anything but suits or little girls' dresses because adult women's dresses are so fancy, they absolutely require something with a heel (or at the very least, a feminine shape) to pull off OR they just don't hang right at all.

GRR, ARGH. :evil:

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:32 am UTC

@Khonsu

Clearly you should go around naked at all times.

Well, perhaps you can wear sandals in inclement weather.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:34 am UTC

-__-; Not in THIS NW weather! Not on my life! It's been an annoying almost-drizzle three days straight!

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:51 am UTC

Khonsu, you could probably get away with wearing mini-dresses from the junior's department, and they wouldn't be so mini on you because of your height. They're not all in skanky styles. Also, I think there actually are some nice boots in the little girl's section. I have smallish feet and I have occasionally tried on shoes from the little girl's department just because I thought they were cute...my feet are a little too big for that, but yours aren't.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:07 am UTC

Even little girls' shoes don't quite fit because I have a very lean foot, whereas most little girls have wider ones because they're still growing. It's a SIZE TWO, I mean, my neice is thirteen and she already has bigger feet.

I've been trying to find custom cobblers online, but to no avail. :/

mandalynn

Postby mandalynn » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:32 am UTC

Khonsu wrote: Also, I have very pretty back/neck/shoulders/upper arms, but I don't know what fashions show that off without being a damnable tubetop (too clubbin') or an evening dress (too dressy for work and school). I'm at a loss. I can't think of anything that does so without seeming way too prissy and/or skanky.

Halter tops

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:53 am UTC

mandalynn wrote:
Khonsu wrote:I can't think of anything that does so without seeming way too prissy and/or skanky.

Halter tops

This does not compute...
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:57 am UTC

Bacon?

Wait, wrong thread.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:18 am UTC

Fossa wrote:Empire waists... I always thought those dresses were simply VERY poorly fitted. I had no idea they were designed that way. I must say I do not find them the least bit attractive.

I second the motion.

Also, whenever I see your avatar I cringe, because I always remember that picture that Rat posted a long time ago... eurgh.

lamarguerite

Postby lamarguerite » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:19 am UTC

empire waists = from Josephine, Napoleon's empress? I thinks. Personally I like some of them (usually as shirts, though, not dresses), because they flatter a lot of different people.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:
Fossa wrote:Empire waists... I always thought those dresses were simply VERY poorly fitted. I had no idea they were designed that way. I must say I do not find them the least bit attractive.

I second the motion.

Also, whenever I see your avatar I cringe, because I always remember that picture that Rat posted a long time ago... eurgh.

Sorry to derail, but which picture was this? You're the second person to make a connection to this "Rat"... My picture is a Fossa. Cryptoprocta Ferox. :?

Back on topic. Can you show me an example of an empire waist flattering someone?

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:46 am UTC

Fossa wrote:
Back on topic. Can you show me an example of an empire waist flattering someone?

Were the above posted dresses by Sarah not illustration enough, no?

I suppose there's little that doesn't flatter a catwalk model...but tell me this dress isn't flattering?
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

mandalynn

Postby mandalynn » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:22 am UTC

@trophy wrote:
mandalynn wrote:
Khonsu wrote:I can't think of anything that does so without seeming way too prissy and/or skanky.

Halter tops

This does not compute...

It depends on the halter top and the girl. I don't think these are skanky or prissy. The second one isn't really a halter top, but I think it's a slightly different example of the empire waist.
Attachments
haltertop3.jpg
haltertop3.jpg (2.37 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
haltertop2.jpg
haltertop2.jpg (2.05 KiB) Viewed 3058 times
haltertop1.jpg
haltertop1.jpg (2.1 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
Last edited by mandalynn on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”