[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Re: Girl Thread: Attack Wombs to the Ready!

Postby Twasbrillig » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:23 am UTC

Fossa wrote:
Twasbrillig wrote:
Fossa wrote:Empire waists... I always thought those dresses were simply VERY poorly fitted. I had no idea they were designed that way. I must say I do not find them the least bit attractive.

I second the motion.

Also, whenever I see your avatar I cringe, because I always remember that picture that Rat posted a long time ago... eurgh.

Sorry to derail, but which picture was this? You're the second person to make a connection to this "Rat"... My picture is a Fossa. Cryptoprocta Ferox. :?

Rat was a fora member that used to post a lot, but now only posts on rare occasion. A long, long time ago (maybe a year), in a thread long locked away, he posted an image that is now spoken of only in hushed tones. Tis not the animal, per se, that reminds me of him/the picture, but the monocle and hat.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:28 am UTC

Having viewed the catwalk model and the other "flattering" photo I have come to the conclussion that empire waists are the silliest, least attractive fashion development in the history of mankind. I find propeller beanies sexier and more flattering.

As for the monocle and top hat, I was under the impression it was somewhat of a running theme here since at least two other avatars featured the garb in question (I was a good little lurker).

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:31 am UTC

Fossa wrote:Having viewed the catwalk model and the other "flattering" photo I have come to the conclussion that empire waists are the silliest, least attractive fashion development in the history of mankind. I find propeller beanies sexier and more flattering.

As for the monocle and top hat, I was under the impression it was somewhat of a running theme here since at least two other avatars featured the garb in question (I was a good little lurker).

Bah. Let me see if I can get some pictures of the 3 empire waisted shirts I got for Christmas. Might count as 4. They are a nice style, but they have to be done very well, since they do have a habit of looking like maternity clothes. Apparently, I hit the right body type where they don't.

Course, I'm pretty ridiculously skinny too, but I'm hardly anorexic like most models.
~Kat

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:54 am UTC

Fossa wrote:Having viewed the catwalk model and the other "flattering" photo I have come to the conclussion that empire waists are the silliest, least attractive fashion development in the history of mankind. I find propeller beanies sexier and more flattering.

I second this. Whats the deal women? Why do you like Empire waist shirts?

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:15 am UTC

WraithXt1 wrote:

I third this, as Twas is awesome and seconded it before me. Whats the deal women? Why do you like Empire waist shirts?

*cough, ahem*
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:30 am UTC

OK as much as I like all the boys participating I'm not a fan of two pages of "the stuff you girls wear, and maybe must wear because you have very difficult figures, or just like, is ugly and what I think matters enough to second and third it and keep going on about it!" judgement crap.

I have a belleh. I am super selfconscious about it. I wear empire waist blouses. Carefully chosen empire waist blouses. No-one thinks I'm pregnant, they can see I'm just fat and that I need as much flattering as I can get. They're some of the only designs that means I can sit back in a sofa and not keep tugging at my top all evening or put my handbag or a cushion (very conspiciously) in my lap.

So lay off. Not everything you wear is probably up to our standards either.

edited: now with added ranting.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:43 am UTC

I'm going to echo Moo's sentiments here somewhat. Of course boys are allowed have personal preferences when it comes to a lady's attire, as much as girls are allowed similar opinions in relation to that the attire of a gentleman. But it is rather arrogant and I'll dare to say obnoxious of you boys to be so merciless in your slating of what is actually a rather fashionable trend, and can be an incredibly flattering and comfortable style for many a different size and shape of woman. Should a girl's first thought in choosing an outfit be "will -random boy- find me attractive in this" or "will I feel good about myself in this". Imagine if I stumbled into the shoe thread right now and started complaining about someone's ugly-ass shoes...show some tact and common sense for heaven's sake.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:46 am UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:
WraithXt1 wrote:I third this, as Twas is awesome and seconded it before me. Whats the deal women? Why do you like Empire waist shirts?

*cough, ahem*

He thinks you have access to a time machine.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:13 am UTC

Okay, here is a photo of a empire bust on someone that's not a model - spoilered for size.

I find the cut can be flattering, you'd never guess that dress is hiding a size 12* ass and an ugly pot belly (though it does emphasis the DD bust - not necessarily a terrible thing).

Spoiler:

/angell

*Assuming the following conversions:

US 2 = AUS 6 = UK 4
US 6 = AUS 10 = UK 8
US 12 = AUS 16 = UK 14
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:14 am UTC

Apologies then. I didn't mean to critique you as individuals. I wasn't aware you were so invested in your fashion choices. I guess I'm coming from a very different angle because for me, when I put something on, I *am* thinking about what others will think of me in said attire. Frankly if a variety of girls who's opinions I valued thought that a given, easily changeable, physical attribute on me was unattractive, unflattering, etc, I would want to know.

I tend to be a little blind to other peoples points of view when it comes to this kind of thing, so I really am sorry if I upset any of you.

As for Ghost's picture, for me at least I think a more traditional cut would still be more appealing. I don't mind curves. I do mind, well, empire waists. Again. This is just my extremely limited point of view. Please don't take this the wrong way. If the empire waist does something for you as an individual and makes you more confident, awesome.

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:18 am UTC

Fossa wrote:when I put something on, I *am* thinking about what others will think of me in said attire.

Fossa wrote:I tend to be a little blind to other peoples points of view when it comes to this kind of thing, so I really am sorry if I upset any of you.

Your entire opinion is defined by the opinion of others, yet, at the same time, you don't take into account their points of view. I see...
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:21 am UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
Fossa wrote:when I put something on, I *am* thinking about what others will think of me in said attire.

Fossa wrote:I tend to be a little blind to other peoples points of view when it comes to this kind of thing, so I really am sorry if I upset any of you.

Am I missing something here? Why the random quotes?

To clarify, I tend to be blind to other peoples points of viewing towards situations like this when they differ from my own (I.E. until they spelled it out for me I never would have guessed that someone could have been hurt, offended, or put off by my initial commentary). Hence my apology for upsetting cara and moo by critiquing the fashion trend. I *am* (in general) overly concious and anxious about how others percieve me. There's no contradiction there.

Edit: I quoted MT before the edit with the added explinatory text. I'm leaving the above unchanged though because I need to get my sheets out of the dryer, make my bed, and sleep.

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:24 am UTC

Thinly veiled sarcasm detected. However, Fossa, I wasn't talking to you specifically but the choir of "I hate them you shouldn't wear it!" posts.

Fossa wrote:I wasn't aware you were so invested in your fashion choices.
I'm not; I am however quite invested in buying what I want and caring about if I like it not random boys on the webz.

Fossa wrote:because for me, when I put something on, I *am* thinking about what others will think of me in said attire.
Uhm, so do I, it's called being well groomed. As long as I look respectable though - which is as much as random strangers on the street get to expect from me - I am going to wear what I like and what I am comfortable in. I don't go out of the house in my pajamas just because they're comfortable; I actually do have enough etiquette to care to an extent what society at large thinks of me. They don't have the final say though.

Fossa wrote:Frankly if a variety of girls who's opinions I valued
Ah now see here the flaw in reasoning is easily spotted. Notice how fora members who are on average 10 years younger than me, have never met me, will probably never meet me and aren't either my husband or one of my friends does not fall into the category of people whose opinions I value on this specific matter.

The point, ultimately, is that this is a GIRL thread so surely you can see how the boys critisizing all the girls is not the best move?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:32 am UTC

Damn my inability to convey tones via the internet. Those posts were sincere. No sarcasm.

Back to making my bed...

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:33 am UTC

Fossa wrote:As for Ghost's picture, for me at least I think a more traditional cut would still be more appealing. I don't mind curves. I do mind, well, empire waists.

You might be missing the point a little, while you may find that other styles are more attractive than the empire bust line, that is assuming all things are "equal". While a dress that you think is very pretty might look good on lady A, it might not look good on lady B. The lady in the photo was "blessed"* with a classic hourglass figure, it saddens me that the dress hides that somewhat, however, it does hide the lumpyness and the bulging tummy. I love curves, I don't love the feeling of a marshmellow tummy bulging out in front of me.

*apparently, the hourglass shape is not very popular anymore, apparently guys want the more "accessible" pear.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:06 pm UTC

What the HELL does that even mean? Accessible?

ashwa???
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:23 pm UTC

I have no idea.

Also, I like the empire waist thing, I just never knew it had a name beyond "freaky waist right below the chest the hell?"

I name things oddly sometimes...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:32 pm UTC

That was its original name. It was changed after a focus group determined it to be too "unmarketable".

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:06 pm UTC

Moo wrote:The point, ultimately, is that this is a GIRL thread so surely you can see how the boys critisizing all the girls is not the best move?
Eh, it was three of them. One is guaranteed to be a dick at any given moment, another seems to have/been mistaken and the third just QFT'd. It's not a grand inquisition.

And, since you can't actually tell the boys not to post, perhaps you should just return to, you know, talking about girl stuff.

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:31 pm UTC

Yeah, that was a bit hyperbolic. You get what I mean though. Fashion thread: go ahead and debate the hell out of the virtues and horrors of the higher waist line. Girl thread: if you can't say something nice and you have a Y chromosome...

Also, note my request for more talking about girl stuff earlier.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

COULD YOU MALES PLEASE GET YOUR FUCKING "NO ONE LIKES THE WAY YOU'RE SHAPED NO MATTER HOW YOU'RE FUCKING SHAPED" BULLSHIT OUT OF THE GIRL THREAD?! GO TALK ABOUT THE KIND OF GIRLS THAT MAKE YOUR DICK HARD IN YOUR OWN MOTHERFUCKING THREAD.

k thanks ^_^

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:00 pm UTC

Oh look. Parka screamed several such posts out of existence.

Yeah. That's the ticket.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:00 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:COULD YOU MALES PLEASE GET YOUR FUCKING "NO ONE LIKES THE WAY YOU'RE SHAPED NO MATTER HOW YOU'RE FUCKING SHAPED" BULLSHIT OUT OF THE GIRL THREAD?! GO TALK ABOUT THE KIND OF GIRLS THAT MAKE YOUR DICK HARD IN YOUR OWN MOTHERFUCKING THREAD.

k thanks ^_^

Whoa... jeeze. Tell us how you feel, why don't ya?

Anyways that was not the intention of my post... anyways who likes cake?
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:01 pm UTC

Let it be a lesson. Girl thread - boys are suffered here at our pleasure and need to keep in line!

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

This means I have to start watching more closely and stabbing more of twas's posts keeping a tighter rein.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Stabbing twas would solve the problem far more effectively...

And you all look great. Or at least your avatars do, which is the main thing I'm paying attention to, cause I don't actually go over to the picture thread to cross reference east post with the person who posted it. I know, I'm lazy and I should put more effort in, but...

Isn't that funny? everyone on this page has an avatar...
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:10 pm UTC

Empire waists are in fashion at the moment (meaning you cant actually buy anything else in stores right now), also those bag dresses. They look good on skinny girls. Anyone with anything to cover though just looks like your wearing a bag. Im not a fan. But as with empire waists.. Its all they have in the shops at the moment.

But really, clothing is so much about attitude. If you feel confident and sexy and attractive in what you are wearing that will show and you will look confident and sexy and attractive. The actual clothing doesnt matter so much. I think at least.
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.
-Neil Gaiman

lamarguerite

Postby lamarguerite » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:13 pm UTC

Pebbles wrote:If you feel confident and sexy and attractive in what you are wearing that will show and you will look confident and sexy and attractive.
Whee, yes!

off-topic: the skin on my face has been feeling super-soft the past two days! I'm not sure if it's my hormones or the weather or whatever, but it's really nice.

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

*rejoices with lamarguerite*
It makes you feel so good when your skin looks nice, doesn't it.

Elenion

Postby Elenion » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:22 pm UTC

Oh I so wish I had nice skin... :/

Is empire waist trendy again? Can't say I've seen alot of it in the stores here.. But I don't shop much, and when I do the only "girly" shop I visit is H&M.. :) I don't like wearing empire waist stuff.. its.. weird.
22/f/Oslo - Picz - Cyber

..it's not the end that I fear with each breath, it's life that scares me to death..

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

Empire waist is hit or miss for me. I know a girl who looks absolutely adorable with hers but on some people it just looks like a maternity shirt. It's probably more suited to girls with larger assets. (which the adorable girl fits)
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

lamarguerite

Postby lamarguerite » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

Somehow in my computer-ineptitude, I managed to lose my entire post. Oh well.

Nice skin ftw. I hope it stays.

I think make-up fits the whole helping you feel confident/sexy/attractive idea.

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

lamarguerite wrote:
I think make-up fits the whole helping you feel confident/sexy/attractive idea.

Absolutely, although the flip-side of that is forming a dependence and being unable to feel confident without. This is not helped when the boy in your life requests that you wear a full face to bed because you're just so much hotter with makeup on.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

lamarguerite

Postby lamarguerite » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

Ew, ew, yuck. Did that happen to you??? I'm so sorry if it did. That's incredibly asshole-ish.

I don't wear make-up (correction: I don't try to find time to put it on) partly because I'm afraid of that dependence.

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:53 pm UTC

That boy deserves to have his testicles dry-shaven, forcibly :|

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

Hmm yeah, but.... Well, to be honest, I like that he likes me with it, because I feel more "me" with it...and the boys that have complained in the past about my wearing it have made me feel less comfortable when I do wear it, and I enjoy wearing makeup, I prefer my face when it is made-up. But yes, it was a rather tactless request to make. Everything else aside, my God it would destroy my skin and pillows to do such anyway, and he knows I'm more restrained in kissing him when I've makeup on so the suggestion was soon put to bed.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:56 pm UTC

Moo wrote:That boy deserves to have his testicles dry-shaven, forcibly :|

I was going to echo that.

Can I still talk here?

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

As long as he accepted that. And it didn't scar you. Otherwise, I've got a blunt razor somewhere...

MJ - yes. As long as you're nice to us about the things we are most insecure about.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

.....can I get a list of those topics? I are am an idiot.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

Moo wrote:MJ - yes. As long as you're nice to us about the things we are most insecure about.

You clearly haven't met my wife. She beat that list into me with a hammer years ago.

Return to “General”