[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Fossa

Re: Girl Thread: You make me feel like a natural womaaaan

Postby Fossa » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:11 am UTC

That is some of the most amazingly awesome cosplay I have ever seen.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:13 am UTC

That's top hat guy. You'll notice he's the only guy wearing a top hat.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:17 am UTC

Top Hat Guy looks a bit like Belial. Only I don't fear for my life.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:22 am UTC

Berengal wrote:That's top hat guy. You'll notice he's the only guy wearing a top hat.

No, the girl in the black vest and black hat. Isn't that a top hat? Perhaps a bowler. Yes. Bowler. I want her anyway, top hat or no!

Berengal wrote:*cyberpunkgasm*

Top hat guy is my favorite.

STEAMpunk. Victorian (or some past era of culture) culture mixed with steam technology, sometimes in the modern era. You get things like D&D's Eberron campaign world, as well as things like Wild Wild West. Cyberpunk would look more Matrix-y, or be cosplay of Snow Crash, Neuromancer, or similar. Wiki steampunk, cyberpunk, and dieselpunk (only seen in one forgotten video game that wasn't that great anyway) and soak in the awesome.
Last edited by Khonsu on Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:24 am UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:Top Hat Guy looks a bit like Belial. Only I don't fear for my life.

I can see it in the last picture, but in the other two you can clearly see facial hair.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:25 am UTC

Top Hat Guy has a gallery. No, I don't gain anything from linking to him, just thought I'd throw my two pence into the thread.

If I were going to gain something, I'd link to myself instead. I am not entirely without shame. I don't have any steampunk goodness, though.
Last edited by Kithplana on Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:26 am UTC

*dies* GAAAAAAAAAAAAH. HE'SSOCOOLZOMG. FANGIRLISM.

I don't know if I should do a steampunk novel or a steampunk graphic novel, but I need to do something like that, or I'd never forgive myself for making the money based on steampunk's popularity AND having that much fun making that money. Nichole and I plan on forcing a few friends on cosplaying steampunk folks with us at some point--we already know how we'd do it, and it would be so fun. *squeal*
Last edited by Khonsu on Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Berengal

Postby Berengal » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:28 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:
Berengal wrote:That's top hat guy. You'll notice he's the only guy wearing a top hat.

No, the girl in the black vest and black hat. Isn't that a top hat? Perhaps a bowler. Yes. Bowler. I want her anyway, top hat or no!

STEAMpunk. Victorian (or some past era of culture) culture mixed with steam technology, sometimes in the modern era. You get things like D&D's Eberron campaign world, as well as things like Wild Wild West. Cyberpunk would look more Matrix-y, or be cosplay of Snow Crash, Neuromancer, or similar. Wiki steampunk, cyberpunk, and dieselpunk (only seen in one forgotten video game that wasn't that great anyway) and soak in the awesome.

Girl != Guy

Also, I meant steampunk. I've no idea where that came from, as I don't even like cyberpunk that much (regular sci-fi > cyberpunk, but steampunk > all)
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:36 am UTC

When I said "tophat butchie" I meant the not-very-girlie girl wearing what I thought was a tophat--which would be that girl between the pigtailed girl and the redheaded jetpack boy with the pistol in the group shot.

ANYWAY. I love steampunk, but I know if I'd hate it if Neo Vic culture caught on, because that'd just mean patriarchy and stupid formality and repression all over again. Unless it was just fashion and generally good principles instead of the creepy, Freudian ones. Those old clitordectomies and male chastity cages and Battlecreek San I could do without

Berengal

Postby Berengal » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:16 am UTC

If the world turned steampunk, I'd screw formality and repression and go explore the moon in my airship.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:51 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:Steampunk girl #1
Kinda cool. Worried about those candles on the lovely WOODEN piano, but otherwise I like the dress.
Khonsu wrote:Steampunk girl #2
But she has... are those?... SHE HAS A SERIES OF TUBES IN HER HAIR ... O_O ... ^_^

Khonsu wrote:Steam punk group pictures
I never really got steampunk (mostly because of the "punk" bit - misnomer? I am an ignorant idiot). It should also be mentioned that while I very much don't give a crap what you do and who with as long as no-one (that doesn't want to) gets hurt and it makes you happy, I have never shared more than a hug with another girl. And had no inclination to (except this once but we were playing truth or dare and I was young and drunk but nothing happened anyway). HOWEVER since Khonsu's photies I would pretty much offer myself instantly and unconditionally to any and all of the people in those photos.

So awesome. That was the only thing that could have made being awake to finish work at 4am less sucky. Well that and this coffee. Mmmmmm.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

lamarguerite

Postby lamarguerite » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:30 am UTC

I am vaguely reminded of A Series of Unfortunate Events .

Aside from that:
o.0 So f*cking awesome.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:36 am UTC

Steampunk... so beautiful. I could cry. Yumiko Re{e|a}dman kept distracting me though :'(.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:51 am UTC

This is for the gals that asked for pictures of my dress after it's finished. I also made the boutonniere for my date, so I thought I'd include that too. I blurred his face in case he doesn't want it on the internet. Anyhow, I was pretty pleased with how it came out considering I got the fabric a week and a half ago.
Attachments
P1050518.jpg
P1050518.jpg (54.13 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
00510214.jpg
00510214.jpg (43.12 KiB) Viewed 3426 times

null

Postby null » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:46 am UTC

Its a nice dress...but it needs more tubes and brass.

Oh wait, are we still doing steampunk fangirl/boy-ism?

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:48 am UTC

Kithplana wrote:Top Hat Guy has a gallery. No, I don't gain anything from linking to him, just thought I'd throw my two pence into the thread.

If I were going to gain something, I'd link to myself instead. I am not entirely without shame. I don't have any steampunk goodness, though.

*SQUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAL!!!* OOOOooo man the black, demon Alucard outfit... asdfjkl;asdfjak;l *falls over* and.. everything else too *falls over again*

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

mandalynn

Postby mandalynn » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:52 am UTC

Windmill, that dress is absolutely beautiful on you!
I really wish I could make my own clothes. I envy you so much right now.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:59 am UTC

Agreed. I really like how the fabric looks all soft and undulaty. Very pretty.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

::spaz, flail, die:: Steampunkgasm. Oh. Em. Gee.

Moo wrote:
Khonsu wrote:Steampunk girl #1
Kinda cool. Worried about those candles on the lovely WOODEN piano, but otherwise I like the dress.
Khonsu wrote:Steampunk girl #2
But she has... are those?... SHE HAS A SERIES OF TUBES IN HER HAIR ... O_O ... ^_^

It's a little known fact that 68% of internet traffic is routed through that chick's hair.
You don't make them touch!

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:50 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Agreed. I really like how the fabric looks all soft and undulaty. Very pretty.

The entire dress weighs about 4 oz. It's really flowy and pretty comfortable. The only problem I had was walking around without my shoes on, but I would just grab a lump of fabric hold on to it while I walked. Now for another occasion to wear it to...

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

a) <3 steampunk!
b) That dress is quite beautiful.
c) <3 steampunk again! I want to dress up like that.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

Windmill wrote:This is for the gals that asked for pictures of my dress after it's finished. I also made the boutonniere for my date, so I thought I'd include that too. I blurred his face in case he doesn't want it on the internet. Anyhow, I was pretty pleased with how it came out considering I got the fabric a week and a half ago.

Hot damn. As a girl who sewed her own prom dress as well, excellent job!
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Hey on the topic of birth control, I'm all for women being in control via the pill, depo, the ring thing, etc, but ladies, if your man was taking an as of now hypothetical pill that rendered his sperm infertile (and hopefully not his ego too), would you trust him to take it and not want to 'double up' so to speak?
I ask because I'm a huge fan of the male birth control pill, which is apparently in R&D. I think its an interesting turn though to see that some women I've spoken to about it wouldn't feel comfortable letting a man be responsible like that.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

I think its an interesting turn though to see that some women I've spoken to about it wouldn't feel comfortable letting a man be responsible like that.

Considering how many people I know who've gotten roped into marriage or at least fatherhood because the girl either accidentally or, in one case, intentionally forgot her pills, I'm not sure one should really trust the female to be responsible like that, either.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Even if/when a good option for male birth control hits the market, it will still be new and I wouldn't expect anyone to feel completely safe without backup until it had been around a while. And what about side effects? If both genders have an option for birth control with some hormonal side effects, how do you decide who goes on it? It seems like choosing between the equality/burden-sharing of alternating months and that of just both taking it simultaneously is an exercise in impracticality.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:09 pm UTC

Personally, if I was biologically a woman, I would double up. I say that because, while I would trust the man in my life to take the pill, a) it probably won't be 100% effective, b) if by some chance he did forget (which people do), I'd be the one carrying the mistake for 9 months.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

Moo wrote:I never really got steampunk (mostly because of the "punk" bit - misnomer? I am an ignorant idiot).

You're not totally ignorant--most people don't know the backstory to the whole schtick. Essentially, steampunk is speculative fiction relying on the Victorian aesthetic, much in the same vein as cyberpunk is speculative fiction relying on hacker aesthetic, though both are different from classic sci-fi and fantasy (cyberpunk and steampunk both can blend elements from sci-fi OR fantasy to explain the hows and whys of their fantastic settings). They have grit. They can be very dark and they often involve post-apocalyptic events or just totally occur off the beaten path of sense and stray purely into fun. The "-punk" part comes from the general chaos, anti-establishment, and historical anachronistic settings, attitudes, and tone set in the novels/comics featuring steam- or cybernetic-based power. If a novel features strong female characters in an alternate timeline to actual Victorian events, if it features a scary occult secret society, if it features generally modern sentiment juxtaposed with genteel fashion, it's steampunk.

Neuromancer was the first cyberpunk novel. The books of Jules Verne and H. G. Wells, even though they were actually contemporary to the Victorian period, are some of the first steampunk novels. Steampunk is the "path not taken," whereas cyberpunk is "the path probably not to be taken someday."

EDIT: If I couldn't trust my male partner to be honest, mature, and capable enough to take a male birth control pill if I couldn't or wouldn't and we AGREED why his pill would be better for us...I wouldn't be fucking him. If they're afraid of their boyfriends or husbands sabotaging their lack of children because they're not taking sole responsibility for that lack of children (which I've always thought odd), then they need to reevaluate who they're fucking and why. Creepy to imagine I couldn't trust someone.

I mean, I think non-sexual intimacy to be more emotional and meaningful than sex (I could have sex without love, though I don't often choose to, but I could NOT cuddle someone and watch Fido or Shaun of the Dead or Stranger Than Fiction or The Big Sleep or any of my other favorite movies with them unless I really, really cared for them. I don't necessarily put friends below lovers--if I can love someone that deeply, I could make a friend a lover for a night and then go back to being friends, totally casual, no strings attached. But I couldn't cuddle a person I'd just met, but I could fuck 'em if I knew they were clean and I had protection. Maybe I'm weird, but if my lovers had ever cuddled someone the way two people who truly love each other cuddle (a bit different than a couple friends cuddling) and didn't tell me, that is, cuddle-cheating on me with someone else, I'd feel more hurt than if I found them in bed together doing all sorts of crazy kinky stuff. Why? Sex is fun, feels good, it's just another fun activity for me. Cuddling is different. Most humans don't go around being affectionate in our Western culture. We like to keep our distance. You can fuck and get off and not love the person (lots of people do, sadly), but you need to WANT to be close to someone to just cuddle and not escalate it into fucking.

Then again, I'm not one to be jealous about pretty much anything. Even if a lover cheated, I'd diffuse their fun by not ever getting jealous--I'd just sever it so they could be happy with the other person. I don't care. I don't OWN anyone's dick or pussy--I always tell my lovers EXACTLY what I expect in a relationship, and I listen to what they expect. I want to be respected and loved--if I get that, and the boundaries are set (I set loose boundaries, too), I don't have a problem with what would usually set a jealous lover off. If a girl or guy broke my very understandable boundaries, though, (fucking a new lover without protection and then fucking me, not getting the sexual history on a person and getting full-spectrum blood tests, ignoring comfort zones and doing whatever they want in bed without discussing it first) I would be very hurt, but I still wouldn't be JEALOUS. It wouldn't be the extra-relationship fucking, it'd be the way it was done. Of course, I think I'm alone in this. I'd rather be cuddling my lover than watching them cuddle someone else--but sex...well...you can be nutty with sex and still be safe and respectful to all involved. Cuddling though...I like it. :<

I'm a freak, aren't I?

Mandiful

Postby Mandiful » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

Actually, I believe that stuff can be better classified as "steampunk."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
I think its an interesting turn though to see that some women I've spoken to about it wouldn't feel comfortable letting a man be responsible like that.

Considering how many people I know who've gotten roped into marriage or at least fatherhood because the girl either accidentally or, in one case, intentionally forgot her pills, I'm not sure one should really trust the female to be responsible like that, either.

Because... Nothing fixes a mistake like another?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mandiful

Postby Mandiful » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

Nevermind . . .
Seems I've been beaten to the catch.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Belial wrote:

Because... Nothing fixes a mistake like another?

That seems to be the philosophy

They/them

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

@Khonsu: I've always thought peoples boundaries were interesting. I've attended make out parties and swapped spit with some bearded manly men, but don't feel comfortable wearing womens clothing.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

People like that are dumb; they're more horrified in being improper than being miserable. I'm the exact opposite--thus, I am a bit of a disappointment to my folks, my grandmother worries about me, and all my friends say I'm "unabashed" and "hilarious" when really I just don't like being unhappy, and though I like being kind and polite, I don't do it if it's going to make something unbearable later (like little white lies that will grow into regular lies later).

For some reason, few people agree with my worldview on this matter.

Izawwlgood wrote:@Khonsu: I've always thought people's boundaries were interesting. I've attended make out parties and swapped spit with some bearded manly men, but don't feel comfortable wearing womens clothing.
Boundaries are what make us who we are. I have very few boundaries beyond "no fluids I wouldn't normally eat or drink beyond the usual, and nothing that could look like abuse/torture out of context, because that doesn't turn my crank, and don't fold dollars lengthwise and crease them with your fingernail, because that sound makes me want to kill myself, and I don't really know why." I'm not nearly as kinky as I sound, I just don't have a viscerally negative reaction to most kinky things. I don't feel a burning need to do crazy shit, but if crazy shit found me, I'd probably respond much the way Kyon from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya does--though I'd be more excited and happy than he is, the big ol' crankypants.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

H. G. Wells may have influenced steampunk, as an eminent Victorian SF writer, but he is certainly not steampunk. I can't think of a single one of his novels that I've read which mentions steam as connected to anything other than tea. (Among other things.)
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:H. G. Wells may have influenced steampunk, as an eminent Victorian SF writer, but he is certainly not steampunk. I can't think of a single one of his novels that I've read which mentions steam as connected to anything other than tea. (Among other things.)

Steampunk fiction doesn't actually have to actually incorporate steam technology, just steam-era technology in fantastic situations.

They/them

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

Khonsu wrote:Boundaries are what make us who we are.

Indeed! I agree whole heartedly. You also give me a run for highest predilection towards run on sentences. We should have a run on sentence party.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:H. G. Wells may have influenced steampunk, as an eminent Victorian SF writer, but he is certainly not steampunk. I can't think of a single one of his novels that I've read which mentions steam as connected to anything other than tea. (Among other things.)

Steampunk fiction doesn't actually have to actually incorporate steam technology, just steam-era technology in fantastic situations.

Before I go and suggest splitting this off into a steampunk thread in Books, just wondering how much of Wells you've read, as opposed to seen movies of, etc. I mean, I think it'd be an interesting discussion, but that's assuming you (or Khonsu, or whoever) are more than passingly familiar with his novels, otherwise it'd probably just be me talking about Wells, you talking about Steampunk, and random people interjecting about Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

I read the time machine a long time ago, but that was about it.

They/them

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

Yeah, I wouldn't call Wells' stuff Steampunk either. No more than I'd call Asimov Cyberpunk, though he wrote about robots and such.

Nothing of what I recall of his works bears much resemblance to what we'd call steampunk... the attitudes of the characters just aren't right.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

I agree with your conclusion, but, like Belial said, Steampunk doesn't necessarily mean that they talk about steam power. Steampunk is concerned partly with aesthetics, and partly with various aspects of Victorian society, but it also involves the perspective of an author that lives outside that society. Wells and Verne were pretty much just writing straight Science Fiction.
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

Return to “General”