[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Re: Woman thread - Is it as good for you as it is for me?

Postby parkaboy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:02 am UTC

where do you *hide* clothes? in the cookie jar? oh, look i found a pair of jeans stuffed into the sofa!

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Sissi

Postby Sissi » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:35 am UTC

Victoria's Secrets, yeech. They have nice garments and everything, but they seem to lack Plus Size wear; while some of their models do look nice, I don't like the way they glamourize them.
I turned my smilies off.
ParanoydAndroid wrote:I'd like to keep my sexuality firmly ambiguous in their minds

hestia

Postby hestia » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:43 am UTC

I find their bras comfy. I find B cups at other places only barely fit but their cup sizes seem to run a bit large so they fit perfectly.
Lately my underwire bras from there have been breaking just from regular wear and tear which is sad because I can't really replace them.
I never really paid attention to their models. I usually would stay in the clearance section of the store which was in the front, away from the giant posters of skinny women.
NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

elephantitis

Postby elephantitis » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:48 am UTC

K, since there was mention of BCP, I'm going to throw a question out there. I was on Yasmin forrr ten months, I believe. I quit taking the pills in November, but still haven't had my cycle - WHAT THE EFF. Yes, I've taken a pregnancy test. I haven't had any signs whatsoever of having made a *shudder* child, (no weight gain or morning sickness or anything at all). I've had friends who stopped taking the pill and didn't get Shark Week for a couple months, but FOUR months?? I set up an appointment for the gyno, but apparently my mother terminated my health insurance without talkign to me about it since she just quit her job and my insurance was under hers. Since I'm moving this freaking weekend, I can't afford to go. So I'm wondering, if any of you have had experience with this, would you please give me an idea of what could be going on? HEH.

And yeah, there's nothing like wearing a bra that FITS after being properly sized. ^_^ Makes them feel so much more yummy. I was wearing a size 36C in high school, when all the while I'm a size 38D. Thanks be to Victoria's Secret - even though their models are icky.
"All I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Hmmm, I should get myself fitted; I didn't know you could! Also, my sister and I are totally different sizes for everything (she's like a stick and I'm pretty curvy), so there is basically no clothes sharing whatsoever. That and we have way different tastes in clothes, too.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:54 am UTC

i was fitted once a while back but i've lost a bit of weight since then, so it would be a good idea to go back... i dont even know if theres a VS in the mall around here. TO THE INTERNET!

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Sissi

Postby Sissi » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:57 am UTC

What in the world is a boythong? Is it something I might like to wear?
I turned my smilies off.
ParanoydAndroid wrote:I'd like to keep my sexuality firmly ambiguous in their minds

aeki

Postby aeki » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:03 am UTC

I'm basically guessing about my bra size - I know I should get fitted, but I get really weird about strange people touching me. Is there any way I can fit myself, or is that only possible with highly specialized Victoria's Secret Boob-Measuring Technology?

My sister and I wear pretty much the same kinds of clothes, so when we got to the point where we were the same size, I separated all my stuff from the family pile of dirty clothes and did my own laundry. Problem solved. Of course, we didn't go sneaking into each other's rooms in order to steal each other's clothes, so maybe my family was just weird.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:07 am UTC

With non-standard womens' sizes, you kind-of have to be fitted where you want to shop. I think some may provide an online sizing guide, though.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:09 am UTC

actually, i could just do it myself, but i keep losing my cloth tape measure and using string is a pain in the butt. but yeah, its the interwobs!! i'm sure there are some pretty comprehensive guides out there.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:10 am UTC

aeki wrote:Is there any way I can fit myself, or is that only possible with highly specialized Victoria's Secret Boob-Measuring Technology?
This guide comes highly recommended, and I imagine there are others out there. and that, you know, actual women will also have advice for you...
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Sissi

Postby Sissi » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:12 am UTC

Is fitting the same thing as checking your bust? As in, grab the measure, around your bust, and underneath your boobs or whatever? I imagine this could be a problem only if you had one hand or had short arms and an ample bust.
I turned my smilies off.

shorty

Postby shorty » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:15 am UTC

It's possible to fit yourself, as long as you know which parts of your body to go around, I think it is around and under. They don't really touch you when they measure you though, it's just you in your old bra and them putting the measuring tape around you. It's the best way to go if you want a proper fit. I find the salespeople really helpful in knowing which bras are the best cut for you, and I've had times when I couldn't decide between two sizes and they helped me with that.
As for hiding clothes, it's more like, I wonder what goodies I'll find under this pile of old clothes at the top of my sister's closet :wink: she hates me so much when I ransack her room; I just tell her to start buying more clothes for me.

mandalynn

Postby mandalynn » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:12 am UTC

Sissi wrote:What in the world is a boythong? Is it something I might like to wear?

Only one way to find out. Doesn't really look like something I'd find comfortable, but you may enjoy it.

When I got sized, they measured above my breasts, then around them, then under them. I used online instructions and they pretty much all told me I was the wrong size. My bras fit much more comfortably now that I have been professionally sized. Maybe I was just using bunches of bad instructions? Or maybe I was doing something wrong? Who knows.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:18 am UTC

Sissi wrote:What in the world is a boythong? Is it something I might like to wear?

Is it... a hybrid of boyshorts and a thong? That's about what it looks like (assuming the back is thong-styled, since we can't see). Or maybe between hipster panties and a thong?

Oh, and I'm amused at the huge difference in connotation/acceptability between the words "boythong" and "man-thong."
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:07 pm UTC

I love and hate bras at the same time. There's no way I can just go without, and I'm far more comfortable in one than out, but I guess as a matter of economy I take a bit of issue with paying more for a small scrap of cloth with a specialized function than I do normally for a pair of pants or a nice shirt. >_< I've tried investing in the somewhat cheaper bras, but they never last for me, and I tend to end up paying more in the long run as I have to keep replacing them.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

All this bra talk has given me a wonderful gift idea for my Girl. Thanks, kids!
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

oh yes!! as a gift, a well fitted (ideally cute) bra is an excellent idea!! now i'm jealous... ;)
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

hestia

Postby hestia » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:00 am UTC

Girl week just started :(
In the middle of a band concert too, I had to get myself taken care of during intermission while trying to keep the blood off of my uniform (we wear the whole Scottish military deal). My fiance is nice though and took me out for ice cream. Yay Coldstone chocolate cake batter!
NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

Sissi

Postby Sissi » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:50 am UTC

Ladies, I have a can of Nair that says "hair remover spray" and "smooth skin," yet, on the back, it states that "With Nair Pretty Spray, it's easy to get soft legs..."

Uh, what? What is Nair for? It states, on the back, that it can be used for arms and legs, but avoid genital areas and breast nipples. Does that mean I can't use it on my happy trail or my underarms?

Female Products in general: So damned confusing
I turned my smilies off.

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:54 am UTC

I've only used Nair once, on my legs, so I'm honestly not quite sure. I figured I'd give you a warning though: The stuff smells like shit. You have to leave it on for a few minutes, and I spent the whole time trying not to gag.

Mine was a lotion, though. I have no experience with the spray. Just be sure to brace yourself.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:57 am UTC

What confusing about that? It's intended for leg hair removal. Don't use it on sensitive skin - it will likely burn. I'd be wary of using it on underarms. As for the happy trail, I'd say that'd depend on the sensitivity of your lower abdomen. Don't use it too close to the genitals though. Have you used it anywhere yet? If not, try it on a less sensitive place (like the leg) and gauge your reaction. I know people who swear by it, but for me? That shit burns, yo. And like Kineticka said, it smells horrible horrible horrible.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

Sissi

Postby Sissi » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:04 am UTC

Well, the canister says "soft kiwi" on the front, so I imagine I'll smell fruity after using it. The worst, I imagine, is smelling like rotten kiwi.

Yeah, I'm going to have to leave this on for four minutes before wiping off with a "damp washcloth." Can I not just take it off using the water from the showerhead?

Liza--I haven't used it, and don't know where I'm going to try it. Just a small spot, as the bottle suggests, and wait the suggested 24 hours.

Thanks for the input, ladies.
I turned my smilies off.

mandalynn

Postby mandalynn » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:12 am UTC

They make different formulas of Nair for different parts of the body. They all make my skin hurt and/or bleed, and none of them remove hair. Two of my friends had the same results. I guess it must work for someone, though, or it wouldn't still exist.

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:39 am UTC

Sissi wrote:Yeah, I'm going to have to leave this on for four minutes before wiping off with a "damp washcloth." Can I not just take it off using the water from the showerhead?

I think the idea behind the washcloth is that it will help pull the hair up, while just rinsing won't have enough force to dislodge it. The time I used it had a bare-minimum effect, so I'm not really the expert on this.

Is there a reason you're using the Nair as opposed to shaving/waxing?

Sissi

Postby Sissi » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:16 am UTC

If I shaved my legs, it'd clog the bathtub. d= I'm not sure if I want to go get a wax. I'm kinda wanting to get rid of my body hair, and I am very easily embarrassed.

I may get a cup of water tomorrow morning and just shave on a couple or towels or something, so I don't have to clog the bathtub.

Oh, and it turns out it didn't work so well. I think human error is too blame--I sprayed some on and waited about four minutes, but I don't think I had sprayed enough on. And after reading those horror stories, can you blame me?
I turned my smilies off.

koneko

Postby koneko » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:40 am UTC

nair never worked for me either, it got rid of the skin alright but not the hair. if you're thinking of waxing at home you should really try sugaring. it's the same thing, except you don't have to heat the wax and it's water-soluble so if you need to get it off painlessly you can. nads is a sugaring whatever-it-is, though they sell cheaper kinds.
ImageImage

silverwmoon

Postby silverwmoon » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:14 am UTC

Bras: I just kinda wear whatever weems to fit.. though sometimes I get bruises that way from the underwires.. >_>

Do people use shaving cream? I tried but I thought it was horrible so I end up just using soap and water...

... he was wearing a condom because a) We weren't sure how far we were going to go (turns out I wasn't quite ready) and b) there doesn't have to be penetration to get pregnant >_>; women in my family are high fertile. And pan B was both our ideas as (again) we're just plain paranoid and not ready for a child. (emotionally, financially, and it's a long distance thing, one of us would have to move or yeah.. just ugly all around) =/ I know I'm strange. >_< :oops:

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:26 am UTC

koneko wrote:nair never worked for me either, it got rid of the skin alright but not the hair. if you're thinking of waxing at home you should really try sugaring. it's the same thing, except you don't have to heat the wax and it's water-soluble so if you need to get it off painlessly you can. nads is a sugaring whatever-it-is, though they sell cheaper kinds.

I brought up sugaring, I think in this very thread, about 2 weeks ago and no one seemed to know anything about it (or at least have anything to say).

Do you have any experience with it? A lot of information I've found is incomplete or contradicts other information I've found. I'm curious to try this on some sensitive parts of my body where I'd rather not have hair (chafing is oh so annoying) but I'd like more reliable information first for obvious reasons...

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:46 am UTC

silverwmoon wrote:... he was wearing a condom because a) We weren't sure how far we were going to go (turns out I wasn't quite ready) and b) there doesn't have to be penetration to get pregnant >_>; women in my family are high fertile. And pan B was both our ideas as (again) we're just plain paranoid and not ready for a child. (emotionally, financially, and it's a long distance thing, one of us would have to move or yeah.. just ugly all around) =/ I know I'm strange. >_< :oops:
edit: using condom because there is a possibility you'll have sex - responsible, a good idea. Using an emergency contraceptive if nothing went wrong with the condom: a bit unnecessary?

edited to show more clearly what I meant/should have meant, as hermaj is quite wise.
Last edited by Moo on Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:24 pm UTC

This is going to sound awful, but I think that's leaving "responsible" a bit behind and heading a little into "paranoid" land. My family is crazy fertile - my aunt conceived twice while using the Pill and every woman in the family has had a baby exactly nine months after deciding to try for one - but I'm not going to run and take Plan B if there was not even a chance of me being pregnant. If you actually had sex and you thought something was a little strange with the condom, of course you would take Plan B. But there's no need for an emergency contraceptive if there was a condom, with which you haven't mentioned any problem, and no sex. It's not something you should do to your body unless you've had something like unprotected intercourse or a failed contraceptive, where there's a real chance of an unplanned pregnancy.

EDIT: After a bit of thinking, I should clarify that I didn't post that just to be awful and call you out, I posted that because emergency treatments like Plan B that are potent enough to prevent a pregnancy shouldn't be taken lightly or without reason. It was out of concern that if you felt like you needed to take this without even having sex, what's going to happen when you do have sex? You don't want to be taking emergency contraceptive each time - if you're that worried about falling pregnant you should consider using another form of pre-coital contraception, in addition to a condom.

koneko

Postby koneko » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

Fossa wrote:
koneko wrote:nair never worked for me either, it got rid of the skin alright but not the hair. if you're thinking of waxing at home you should really try sugaring. it's the same thing, except you don't have to heat the wax and it's water-soluble so if you need to get it off painlessly you can. nads is a sugaring whatever-it-is, though they sell cheaper kinds.

I brought up sugaring, I think in this very thread, about 2 weeks ago and no one seemed to know anything about it (or at least have anything to say).

Do you have any experience with it? A lot of information I've found is incomplete or contradicts other information I've found. I'm curious to try this on some sensitive parts of my body where I'd rather not have hair (chafing is oh so annoying) but I'd like more reliable information first for obvious reasons...

What exactly were you wanting to know? Basically it works just like regular wax, you can even find organic versions out there. The advantage is that you can easily do it yourself and it's much less messy than true wax. Your hair needs to be long enough for the wax to grip though, but any longer than about 1/4" or so and it's just going to hurt. Most if not all kits come with instructions, which should help.
ImageImage

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

now i kind of want to know exactly what plan B is... the horrible symptoms that people are describing sounds like you'r ebasically ingesting a poison thats (in some cases) mild enough to not really harm you in the long term but (in most cases) strong enough to kill a "life form" that depends on a clean system to develop in. Which makes me wonder why you cant just eat a good dose of Amanita Muscaria and kill the thing - it IS a toxin, thats why makes you go all trippy, plus you get that trippy side effect; who cares about dying cells when there are TECHNICOLOR GECKOS DANCING ON YOUR CEILING?!?! (i know this is completely scientifically unfounded, i was just wondering is all) *goes to research ingredients of Plan B*

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

Plan B is a pill that has the same hormones as birth control pills only in very high doses. Once when I was taking birth control pills, I ended up missing two or three days in a row. I called my doctor, and she said to just take the pills I had missed in one go. I did, and was sick all night. Pretty much the same thing that happened the one time I took Plan B. I don't think bodies are fond of hormonal overdoses.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

aeki

Postby aeki » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

shorty wrote:It's possible to fit yourself, as long as you know which parts of your body to go around, I think it is around and under. They don't really touch you when they measure you though, it's just you in your old bra and them putting the measuring tape around you. It's the best way to go if you want a proper fit. I find the salespeople really helpful in knowing which bras are the best cut for you, and I've had times when I couldn't decide between two sizes and they helped me with that.

Yeah, that counts as touching for me though, I'm kind of weird and defensive about personal space. But it looks like that's the best way to get fitted anyway - my measurement changes by an inch or two when I move the tape up or down by a fourth of an inch and I can't really tell how level the tape is without twisting around in front of a mirror.

Google says there are three measurements - above, around, and under. The above measurement is supposed to be the band size, and it's supposed to be five inches longer than the under measurement (which mine isn't). Some of the online measurements only measure under and add five inches which is wildly inaccurate for me personally, although I don't know if my body is weird or I'm not measuring correctly. Then you take the around measurement, subtract the band measurement, and go up a size for each inch you have (40" - 36" = 4" = 36D, 36" - 34" = 2" = 34B, etc).

JayDee wrote:This guide comes highly recommended

All right, a guide that doesn't rely on self-measuring skills! Thanks, that looks really helpful.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:22 pm UTC

koneko wrote:
Fossa wrote:

What exactly were you wanting to know? Basically it works just like regular wax, you can even find organic versions out there. The advantage is that you can easily do it yourself and it's much less messy than true wax. Your hair needs to be long enough for the wax to grip though, but any longer than about 1/4" or so and it's just going to hurt. Most if not all kits come with instructions, which should help.

Well, every time I've heard of it in passing its been a DIY thing. Mixing X cups of sugar with Y cups lemon juice, heating it at some temperature for some period of time, etc. Instructions vary on the ratio, temperature, time, application, or are just terribly vague. I was unaware that this was something you could go out and buy as a kit. I've never seen it, though I've never really looked. To be honest, I'd be much more likely to try the DIY version since I'd feel less awkward buying a bag of sugar and a thing of lemon juice than a hair removal kit from my local supermarket/pharmacy.

koneko

Postby koneko » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

You can buy various types of kits at Walgreen's (they all do pretty much the same thing, you just want to make sure you buy a kit that comes with strips although if you run out you can cut up an old pillowcase and that will work too). Here's what you'll be looking for:

* Quick, easy and ready to use.
* All-natural hair remover gel washes away with water.
* Smoothness lasts up to 8 weeks!
* Results in as little as 3 minutes!
* Helps reduce the appearance of hair regrowth.
* Salon Tested - Dermatologist Tested.
* Kit Includes:
No Heat Gel Hair Remover, Ultra Soothe Skin Relief Lotion with Benzocaine, 20 Cloth Strips, Orange Stick, Reusable Spatula, and Complete Instructions in English and Spanish.

Note that it does not say the word "sugaring" anywhere but the main idea is that it's no-heat and washes off with water. And as far as purchasing a kit, most kits are for multiple body areas so it's really no different from buying shaving cream or razors. Buying a brazilian bikini wax kit would be another story, but to be honest any wax kit can be used for that. In the long run you're much better off buying a kit since homemade waxes, besides being incredibly messy, take a lot of effort and are hard to make if you don't really know what you're doing.
ImageImage

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

I'm actually a fan of prewaxed strips, it's the least messy solution out of everything.
Those are the ones I use for my FACE, but they're small so they would be impractical for arms or legs, although they do make prewaxed strips in larger sizes. They are very quick, and less messy, which is my favorite part about it.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

argyl3 wrote:I'm actually a fan of prewaxed strips, it's the least messy solution out of everything.
Those are the ones I use for my FACE, but they're small so they would be impractical for arms or legs, although they do make prewaxed strips in larger sizes. They are very quick, and less messy, which is my favorite part about it.

those things are very nifty. Sally Hansen makes some freakin' bad ass products. i ALWAYS use the Hard as Nails clear polish b/c my nails break pretty easily otherwise.

Unrelated: shopping. I have a little money to toss around, so i'm going to go investigate a store that calls itself 1/2 of 1/2 clothing. The place looks pretty huge, I wonder whats in there... Anyway, I'll post a report of my findings and, if any, purchases later.

koneko

Postby koneko » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:32 pm UTC

yes, the pre-waxed strips are much easier but not as good a value for money unfortunately.
ImageImage

Return to “General”