[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

beastie

Re: Woman thread - Is it as good for you as it is for me?

Postby beastie » Sat May 31, 2008 9:04 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:Oh god, my parents are the kind that call me incessantly, and so this happens far too often. But if I don't pick up, they'll call me until I do; that failing, they'll call boy; if he doesn't pick up, they'll call his parents.

Mine used to do that too before I moved out. Oh how it was annoying...if I didn't give them his phone number they'd keep reminding me every day. "What if something happens to you?". I didn't like that amount of care.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Sat May 31, 2008 12:00 pm UTC

I loved teasing him while he was on the phone with his mum :D I don't allow him to do the same to me tho, my mum will notice as I can't multi task (nor keep quiet).

And I've been known to have picked up my phone when it was sexeh tiems. Only because my phone rings rarely. and it was a friend who called rarely. He was a tad angry after that, which was fair enough. I usually leave it when busy, and my phone only vibrates, so it's not terribly annoying.

I was peeing when my friend called yesterday, and I let it ring. That'd just be _weird_. I called him back after I came out of the bathroom.
This too shall pass

beastie

Postby beastie » Sat May 31, 2008 12:41 pm UTC

I keep sticking my tongue out at him or making funny faces when he's on the phone with his parents...great fun :D I can't focus for anything in the world if he does that or pokes me while on the phone :D

Sebeka2

Postby Sebeka2 » Sat May 31, 2008 4:09 pm UTC

message deleted
Last edited by Sebeka2 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Willpower lasts about two weeks and is soluble in alcohol. ~ Mark Twain(?)

kcr

Postby kcr » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:52 am UTC

The day my dad learned he could send text messages to me as emails from the computer was the beginning of a slightly unfortunate era of cell phone communication... Plus, they always get cut off so I never see the entire message. Cell phones = a blessing and a curse.

Quite a few real life events have left me feeling sort of lame lately. Oh teenager-dom, you are just filled with suck. Any words of consolation or advice from you wonderful women about how to not feel like a pathetic, petty blah when it seems like the very pretty girl with no personality is adored from a seemingly endless stream of boys who don't completely suck (so the "the shallow guys just like the pretty girls!" argument doesn't really work anymore) while you're just left wondering why exactly your fairly good personality and not-heinous looks get jack shit?
(It's stupid. I know. But that doesn't mean it doesn't suck.)

Sebeka2

Postby Sebeka2 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:58 am UTC

message deleted
Last edited by Sebeka2 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Willpower lasts about two weeks and is soluble in alcohol. ~ Mark Twain(?)

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:05 am UTC

I have a question about 'periods' (not real periods, hence the quotation marks) on the pill. I know a lot of women *like* being on the pill for the regular, week long periods. But what if I have regular, 3 day periods now. That I ... well, if not exactly love, find little bother, and appreciate the shortness of. When I go on the pill, will I be getting periods for the whole week of my lack-of-pills/placebo-pills? Because ... that will kind of suck. :( My periods are just perfect as-is!
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:05 am UTC

vqcg wrote:I have a question about 'periods' (not real periods, hence the quotation marks) on the pill. I know a lot of women *like* being on the pill for the regular, week long periods. But what if I have regular, 3 day periods now. That I ... well, if not exactly love, find little bother, and appreciate the shortness of. When I go on the pill, will I be getting periods for the whole week of my lack-of-pills/placebo-pills? Because ... that will kind of suck. :( My periods are just perfect as-is!

Shark Week is only five days on the pill. The thing to understand is that the tablets aren't divided into "the actual pill" and "tablets to make you bleed". The seven tablets for Shark Week week are just sugar pills, I don't even take them. So theoretically if you have three day periods now you should keep getting three day periods, because effectively you're just not taking the pill for a week, and the pill doesn't make Shark Week heavier or worse or anything which is why lots of women take it to sort out problems with nasty periods.

(Someone who knows more than me should have a shot at this. :P)

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:16 am UTC

hermaj wrote:
vqcg wrote:I have a question about 'periods' (not real periods, hence the quotation marks) on the pill. I know a lot of women *like* being on the pill for the regular, week long periods. But what if I have regular, 3 day periods now. That I ... well, if not exactly love, find little bother, and appreciate the shortness of. When I go on the pill, will I be getting periods for the whole week of my lack-of-pills/placebo-pills? Because ... that will kind of suck. :( My periods are just perfect as-is!

Shark Week is only five days on the pill. The thing to understand is that the tablets aren't divided into "the actual pill" and "tablets to make you bleed". The seven tablets for Shark Week week are just sugar pills, I don't even take them. So theoretically if you have three day periods now you should keep getting three day periods, because effectively you're just not taking the pill for a week, and the pill doesn't make Shark Week heavier or worse or anything which is why lots of women take it to sort out problems with nasty periods.

I understand that they're not a pill, most packs in the UK IIRC don't even have the placebo pills, you just don't take the pills for a little while. But ... Shark Week isn't a period on the pill, it's ... something different that I don't understand! I'm not sure what determines how long Shark Week is, so I'm not sure how the pill would influence this.
Thanks for the post, though, it's nice to have anecdotal evidence that not all women on the pill have 7-day periods. If you don't mind me asking, did you have 5 day periods before being on the pill?
Another n00bish-question: if you're on the pill, are you protected for your whole cycle, including sugar-pill days?

beastie

Postby beastie » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:19 am UTC

Google Health to the rescue! I'm on this stuff: Desogestrel-Ethinyl Estradiol - 0.15-0.02mg x21 /0.01 mg x 5

My periods are now so short and non-painful I always have a scare before. I feel absolutely no pain as opposed to my old despair :shock:

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:27 am UTC

oh, duh. I only just thought this through when I saw on google health, but OBVIOUSLY, if the egg isn't released, you are protected for your whole cycle. Somebody get me a dunce hat. :P Ta, beastie!

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:09 pm UTC

vqcg wrote:If you don't mind me asking, did you have 5 day periods before being on the pill?

Nope, I had week-long periods with four days of incredible pain. That is why I even started being on the pill. Now I have shorter, lighter periods and no crazy immobilising pain, which is pretty excellent! :D

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

...I suppose this means that when I was told in middle school that there is no part of the cycle that is naturally safe from pregnancy, they were lying.
I kinda feel like I should've thought that through before now.

Though, no, I'm not going to go off and have unprotected period sex now.
I suppose this is an interesting way to gauge how many of my real-life friends are actually reading the fora now....
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:17 pm UTC

I had five-day periods off the pill, and I still have five-day periods on the pill. And I never take the sugar pills either. 8)

vqcg wrote:I understand that they're not a pill, most packs in the UK IIRC don't even have the placebo pills, you just don't take the pills for a little while. But ... Shark Week isn't a period on the pill, it's ... something different that I don't understand! I'm not sure what determines how long Shark Week is, so I'm not sure how the pill would influence this.

It's called "withdrawal bleeding", your body's reaction to the lack of hormones. [url=http://thewelltimedperiod.blogspot.com/]
This blog [/url]tolls a bit about it somewhere, but that's all I know.

On another note: I've been taking active pills continuously and skipping my periods altogether...the first week I spotted, then I was great for a while (hm, maybe I should keep track of this...) and now I'm spotting again, argh! It's not bad enough that I need a pantiliner or anything, just enough to be annoying. /ramblerant
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:21 pm UTC

Eep. Is that safe? I was told I could do that once, but never two withdrawal bleeds in a row.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

eternal luna wrote:Eep. Is that safe? I was told I could do that once, but never two withdrawal bleeds in a row.

This. I was told I was fine to skip every second period for as long as I wanted to, but never to skip two in a row.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:09 pm UTC

@liza: No, they were telling the truth.

The big difference is that on the pill the only part of your menstrual cycle that gets to happen is the period (if I'm recalling the function of the pill correctly). There is no ovulation step. Hence, no ovum to get impregnated during Shark Week.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

Before the pill my periods were around the 6-7 day mark, on the pill they are around the 4-5 day mark.

Skipping periods on the pill really depends on what type of pill it is. I don't think I am technically supposed to skip on the pill I am on, but I have done so twice (with a month in between) and it just made me sore and achey, moreso than usual, the next time around. Also, hella spotting, for like, three weeks. Check with your doctor whether it's okay to go skipping girlweek with the pill you've been prescribed.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:07 pm UTC

liza wrote:...I suppose this means that when I was told in middle school that there is no part of the cycle that is naturally safe from pregnancy, they were lying.
I kinda feel like I should've thought that through before now.

Eh, yes and no. Factoring in the length of time that a sperm can live and the fact that humans aren't ideal machines and ovulation doesn't occur with clockwork-like regularity it makes it a lot trickier to judge when it is and isn't safe. I wouldn't ever feel comfortable with unprotected sex, but if you're curious, read up on the Fertility Awareness Method, where I believe you chart your temperature and cervical mucus to see when you actually are ovulating and really do need to avoid the unprotected sex.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:57 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:So theoretically if you have three day periods now you should keep getting three day periods, because effectively you're just not taking the pill for a week, and the pill doesn't make Shark Week heavier or worse or anything which is why lots of women take it to sort out problems with nasty periods.

It doesn't "not mess with Shark Week" so much as takes Shark Week away and replaces it with something that looks like a period. I had four-day (heavy) periods before that turned into five days of light bleeding. (it might've just felt longer. it felt longer.)

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:27 am UTC

the pill made my periods lighter and shorter. I used to bleed for 7 days, with the pill, it was like 5. I remember when I used Nuvaring I sometimes still bled when I put a new one in, but that was only in the beginning (and when I messed around with dates and such). I had that with the pill too (but, you know, naturally i had Shark Week for 7 days or over).

I love my IUD tho, noooooo periods for me anymore :D

Not that I'm an expert but your body is definitely not going to have more severe bleedings. Maybe it draws it out a little, to 4 days, but the amount of blood will def be smaller. And no-condom sex (or the presence of a safetynet) is very nice too.
This too shall pass

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:35 am UTC

...oh hm. Why shouldn't you skip more than two withdrawal bleeds in a row? Isn't it the same idea with the year-long ones?

(I have no doctor to check with save my pediatrician, and I didn't ask her; figured it was okay. I'm working on finding a GP.)
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:36 am UTC

Sebeka2 wrote:My boss is worse, though. He'll leave a voice message and then immediately call back and leave several text messages with identical information. (I don't have a data plan and check my voicemail regularly, so this is money wasted for me.)

Submit a copy of your monthly statement with the relevant message fees highlighted to whomever handles the paychecks at your place of work, be it an HR department or your boss.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

fuschia

Postby fuschia » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:04 am UTC

Obviously vqcg you should ask your doctor, I don't really know, but I believe that the volume of blood will almost always decrease on the pill - but like helen said, it might last a little longer. I went on the pill to sort out my crazy 7 day heavy bleeding with agonising pain and they are now 4-5 days with only 1 heavy day and a lot less pain. I don't know many people on the pill who get 7 day periods: it doesn't usually start instantly when you stop taking pills - mine takes 2 or 3 days to arrive and then lasts until the end of the first day when I start taking pills again (if that makes sense).

Get them to talk you through all the options though, because as there are pills that sort out acne and stuff, I suspect there are differences in how long/heavy the withdrawal bleeds are on mini-pill, combined, etc etc.

About missing periods on the pill: I was told I could miss up to 3 in a row (on femodette). I'm sure it varies with the pill, but it also depends on your cycle: when I tried to miss 3 in a row my body rebelled and I got unpredictable bleeding (not spotting...real bleedy bleeding) for about 2 weeks. I didn't try that again. Now I miss 2 in a row and then have one, and it's great, absolutely no problems or spotting. Maybe some doctors worry about saying "hey, miss all your periods for evar woooo!" because if you get pregnant on the pill it's probably good to be having periods at least every 2 months so you have some way to notice before a baby pops out?

I do know a gynecologist who basically takes the pill non-stop and never has a period, but doctors are famously blase about their own health so obviously I'm not advising that!

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:15 am UTC

Sebeka2, I haven't had a chance to check out your lecture link yet but I will soon, thanks for uploading it.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:20 am UTC

okay I really need to get round to getting on the pill. I *hate* how doctors' surgeries are only open pretty much during office hours, so I will have to miss some work to go.
But now, I need contraception, and the ganglion cyst in my wrist needs some more complaining about, and I possibly have tonsilitis. I think I have "saved up" enough reasons that I need to take a morning off work. :(

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:21 am UTC

vqcg is having a sucky Monday. *hug*
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:25 am UTC

Moo wrote:vqcg is having a sucky Monday. *hug*

aren't all Mondays sucky?
except bank holidays!

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 am UTC

... whereas I could never get the hang of Thursdays.

[/over referenced joke]

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:49 am UTC

:)

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:47 am UTC

Errr, I hate to break up this conversation, but I have a question for the collective-female-xckdrs [insert grovelling and acceptance that men are emotional weaklings and untrustworthy here]:

I have a prom date, but a friend, not GF. Making things more awkward is the fact that she doesn't go to my school, which prom it is. So, apart from looking buff in my dinner jacket, what is expected of me? Should I be constantly there for conversation/ dancing? Is letting her talk to other people while I talk to some other friends acceptable? Since she's just a friend, when walking in, should I hold her hand?

On the plus side, she's already excited to go, since my superior height to most other guys means that she can wear heels.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

beastie

Postby beastie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

I think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to ask her what she fancies doing, or just observe if she'd rather hang around with you or go on her own and talk to people :) If you pull the 'let her talk to people while I talk to others' stunt then it's nice to check on her from time to time and ask her if she's having a good time or if she wants a drink or something like that.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

Yeah, guessed as much.

I'm not entirely certain about my side on the whole dancing thing either... but then again, I might pull together some Dutch courage.

Though I'm right in thinking that limiting my alcohol intake to "only a little higher then hers" is a good idea?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

beastie

Postby beastie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

That's a bit touchy :D My nan used to say that I should never drink in the company of people I don't know very well but if I do and overdo it somehow, "he", whoever this "he" manly presence is should drink less than me so he can at least take me home so I don't look ridiculous. That is if I've not been a lady and couldn't refrain from intoxicating myself. :mrgreen:

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Yeah, guessed as much.

I'm not entirely certain about my side on the whole dancing thing either... but then again, I might pull together some Dutch courage.

Though I'm right in thinking that limiting my alcohol intake to "only a little higher then hers" is a good idea?

Aren't you at a school formal? Is there not some sort of no boozes deal? Anyway, seconding the it's okay to talk to other people as long as she is cool and you check on her regularly and introduce her to people you're talking to so she doesn't feel abandoned. Also seconding the drink less than her, if you absolutely have to drink. I do not think that you should be drinking, though, not until after the actual formal.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

Well, it's upper 6th, so most of us are 18, and we're organising it ourselves. The school doesn't want to know about it, basically. Thinking about it, apart from the wine with the meal, I don't think i'll be wanting to drink anyway, so I'll just match her or under, i guess.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:03 pm UTC

Ah, I see. Your use of the word "prom" threw me off.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

Sebeka2 wrote:
Belial wrote:I am endlessly confused that that wasn't the breakup point.

I'm guessing the breakup point was the day he didn't answer one of her calls?

They're married now.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:49 pm UTC

*breaking news*

I found this eyeshadow the other day, it arrived, I'm wearing it, and it looks awesome.

In other news, I am fairly concerned I'm going to fail my PhD. Mostly it hinges on stuff that I will have the results from in the next 3 hours.
:|

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

biggles, pretty much just ask her if she wants to dance. Ask her before hand. Same with any of these questions.

I assume she won't know anyone there, as she's not from your school. I would assume that checking on her, or having her around will most likely be the default unless she meets people she hits it off with.

Holding hands? Again, ask her what she wants to do. Really, you only have to do what you're comfortable with doing.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Return to “General”