[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Re: Woman thread - NO HOMERS CLUB

Postby Jessica » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:23 pm UTC

Not to you specifically. The quote was for the yay no baby blood.

I almost wish I had my old sex drive back. But, to be fair, it's increasing again. Just need to be more mental about it. nice vivid fantacies and... :)
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

losing my sex drive is one of my biggest fears about these pills. That and the idea that I could constantly bleed.
But we'll see.
Jessica, hurry up and get that question together, I'm curious! :lol:
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:57 pm UTC

I can't remember what I wanted to ask, but I'll ask something else.
What do you wear during the summer months? Generally, I wear jeans year round.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

Aw man, I heart the interwebs even more. Mon.thly.info.

It's a site where you can input when your last period is, and it'll help to work out when your next one is due. You'll also receive emails reminders, warning you of impending gushing. For girls like me who are rubbish at remembering when her last period was (i'm on the mini pill...they come when they damn well please), this is geeeeenius.

Ooh! I remembered another slice of awesome pie. Ovulation accidentally caught on camera. Ovaries, despite the monthly agony you cause, you're pretty cool.
i dare you to take me on...

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:What do you wear during the summer months? Generally, I wear jeans year round.

Yeah, I'm in jeans all year round as well, but they do sometimes get swapped out for shorts or a long skirt. Occasionally it'll be a shorter skirt, but I only have two of them.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:19 pm UTC

tin wrote:Ooh! I remembered another slice of awesome pie. Ovulation accidentally caught on camera.

That is so freaking cool!
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Mercy

Postby Mercy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

I am a dresses-skirts kind of girl in the summertime, or weirdly chopped off jeans/pants. Mid-calf length or so.

I didn't use to wear skirts/dresses all that much before, but in recent years I've started feeling a little bit more comfortable in my skin and with my femininity and I'm actually on a constant search for more 'girly' attire to add to my wardrobe. It used to just be witty tshirts and jeans. :] Skirts and heels aren't de ebil, it still surprises me sometimes.
"I don't have any solution but I certainly admire the problem." -- Ashleigh Brilliant

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:I can't remember what I wanted to ask, but I'll ask something else.

Me too, but mostly the other options are too much trouble (it's not the skirts, it's finding a top that actually fits my frame to match the skirts, and then that doesn't result in too many different outfit-combinations). I also have khaki-ish cargo pants that I wear year round. But I'm supposed to be all springy-er and colorful-er, and for that I pretty much hate summer. (Stupid cheap flimsy clothes that I don't want to buy. Yay for working indoors.)

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:39 pm UTC

I must be doing Mon.thly.Info wrong. It says my cycle is 6 days long with one day of bleeding. I think it made that up...
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:I must be doing Mon.thly.Info wrong. It says my cycle is 6 days long with one day of bleeding. I think it made that up...

Ooh er. Weeeell, admittedly, I haven't tried it out yet (still waiting for Shark Week to come. It's been a month and a freakin' half!). Maybe it can be a bit skewy sometimes? I hope it works for me when I try it.

Mercy wrote:I am a dresses-skirts kind of girl in the summertime, or weirdly chopped off jeans/pants. Mid-calf length or so.

I didn't use to wear skirts/dresses all that much before, but in recent years I've started feeling a little bit more comfortable in my skin and with my femininity and I'm actually on a constant search for more 'girly' attire to add to my wardrobe. It used to just be witty tshirts and jeans. :] Skirts and heels aren't de ebil, it still surprises me sometimes.

Ah, I had this revelation too, a few years back. I kind of decided to make an effort to not be so self-conscious and start wearing those gorgeously designed dresses I used to have my eye on. I still mainly wear jeans and some sort of top, most of the time, but skirts, dresses and shorts are very dominant in my summer wardrobe. Also, it's awesome feeling the wind on your legs on a super hot day.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

Yeah, that sounds like me too, although the reason why I used to not wear skirts that often is that I used to bike everywhere. I'm still well known for my witty t-shirts though.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

I would love to wear more skirts. Life gives me two problems with it though.
1) cat call increase, and I have anger issues
2) when shopping I have a hard time actually buying a skirt. It never looks right to me. I own 3 that are not broken, and 2 of those are too short to sit in without sitting on my ass so I don;t wear them much.

I do have a couple sun dresses... I like them, but not really work appropriate (says the woman in the shirt with a burn hole in the shoulder...)
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:23 pm UTC

My solution to keeping my witty shirts in the summer is to just wear shorts or capris with them. Same look as jeans, but more summery. I love shorts, because I actually like my legs okay. I have jean shorts and cargo shorts, but I absolutely cannot stand those crazy Bermuda shorts that are like halfway between being shorts and being capris. Just pick one!

I try to wear skirts sometimes... More so lately. But I recently realized that the jean skirt I had and wore all the time currently made me look really short (it was an awkward length, I guess I grew an inch or something) and so now I desperately need a go-to skirt. Suggestions are welcome.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:30 pm UTC

In California, I wear jeans all year. In Boston, it's so humid and gross that I decided I needed some shorts. Girl's shorts are the devil. They were all too small or too big, they ALL looked stupid on me, the fabric was so thin and crappy that my cellulite showed through it, they were expensive...blech. So I bought men's shorts. comfy, functional pockets, nice fabric, half the price. I imagine that's not the suggestion you were going for, though, Jessica, since it sounds like you'd rather keep things more fem. Skirts I adore, but it's too hot to wear them in the summer with tights, and without tights my thighs chafe a bit and it gets uncomfortable.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:02 pm UTC

Cool.
I have some skirts, some shorts and jeans. I'm gonna see if I can get some skirts which work for me.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:02 pm UTC

tin wrote:Aw man, I heart the interwebs even more. Mon.thly.info.

It's a site where you can input when your last period is, and it'll help to work out when your next one is due. You'll also receive emails reminders, warning you of impending gushing. For girls like me who are rubbish at remembering when her last period was (i'm on the mini pill...they come when they damn well please), this is geeeeenius.

Ooh! I remembered another slice of awesome pie. Ovulation accidentally caught on camera. Ovaries, despite the monthly agony you cause, you're pretty cool.

I use http://www.mycyle.com :)

Sebeka2

Postby Sebeka2 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:26 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:I can't remember what I wanted to ask, but I'll ask something else.

I wear jeans year-round, too. I don't know that I have anything in my closet right now that would show my knees, actually. No shorts and all of my dresses, gowns, and skirts fall lower.
Last edited by Sebeka2 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Willpower lasts about two weeks and is soluble in alcohol. ~ Mark Twain(?)

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

I tend to wear casual, plain colored skirts in the sumer and just go with whatever the hell shirt I feel like wearing and not really bother about what I look like. A few swipes of deodorant solves the chafing thighs problem nicely, unless you're going to be hiking or something in which case there is no substitute for pants/shorts.

I do put on jeans or something if I want to look nice, though. Skirts and shorts are incredibly unflattering on me because my calves are absolutely disproportionately huge. They really do look like they belong on someone 50-75 pounds heavier than me, and much as I try, I tend to feel really self conscious about that if I don't have anything better to think about.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Mercy

Postby Mercy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

Flying Betty wrote:A few swipes of deodorant solves the chafing thighs problem nicely, unless you're going to be hiking or something in which case there is no substitute for pants/shorts.

Does that actually work? I have the slight chafing problem as well, really annoying, been looking for an alternative to tights for a while now.
"I don't have any solution but I certainly admire the problem." -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Sebeka2

Postby Sebeka2 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:59 pm UTC

How about spandex bicycle shorts?
Willpower lasts about two weeks and is soluble in alcohol. ~ Mark Twain(?)

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:05 am UTC

Ah man, the ovulation pictures are SO COOL. Totally made my day, thanks tin!

Jessica, I wear shorts for the most part, though lately I've been wearing some skirts. I'm mostly a shorts person, though.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:53 am UTC

I must say, my life *changed* when I found skirts. No problems with length and having to find the right butt:waist ratio. While I still prefer jeans, I switch to long skirts to mix it up during the school year and knee length flowy skirts during the summer. I wear spandex bike shorts under them for the errant breeze/occasional forgotten notion that I'm wearing a skirt and must sit like a girl. I've no idea if the shorts would help with chaffing though.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:28 am UTC

You know, I wear skirts a lot in fall/winter. With tights and boots because I like the look, and you can wear any kind of sweater with the skirts I own. Summer = no sweaters = problems for moi.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:36 am UTC

helen wrote:You know, I wear skirts a lot in fall/winter. With tights and boots because I like the look, and you can wear any kind of sweater with the skirts I own. Summer = no sweaters = problems for moi.

Oh, I do this too. Skirts in the winter get to go with sweaters and tights and scarves and all sorts of fun things, while in the summer they are just... plain. I love autumn skirts, and they can be cute and short because of tights underneath. Summer, though, means no tights and so they have to be longer but not too long and it gets all sorts of confusing. Ugh.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:07 am UTC

Yeah, I used to love the skirt, tights and boots look with a chunky sweater, but alas my boots are splitting, and while I still adore them, they are only really suitable to wear under jeans now. Which means I have to go boot shopping, which I hate because I am short with big feet and every pair of boots I've found in my size has had only a shallow heel. :(

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:48 am UTC

I rarely wear skirts these days since I got tired of shaving my legs. I wear shorts at home (my friend Catherine doesn't care) when it's warm, otherwise slacks or jeans.

I did shave and wear a long, black broomstick skirt with sandals for Father's Day. (I thought we were going to the beach, but we ended up just staying at the folk's place all day.) Now my fur is growing back... at least I'm past the itchy stage now.

One day I might decide to start the monthly waxing thing. I'm not dating right now and don't need to wear skirts for work, so it's not really an issue. I've even stopped dreaming about being caught in public with hairy legs. No, wait -- I do still have that dream occasionally, but it doesn't bother me any more. I just think, meh, whatever, and carry on with defibrillating the antlered tea cozy.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:51 am UTC

I'm not a fan of tights in general. Then again, I've never really tried them. I just don't really like the look too much.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:38 am UTC

I generally wear jeans, or jean like pants (camo pants, cords, that type of thing).
I rarely wear skirts and need to find some good shoes to wear with the ones I currently have first (I am really really picky about shoes...).
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

HedgehogsAreFunneh

Postby HedgehogsAreFunneh » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:10 am UTC

vqcg wrote: *stuff*
Ovaries, despite the monthly agony you cause, you're pretty cool.

There was this movie about the human reproductive system we had to watch in Science class called "The Miracle of Life" (because that's not cheesy at all), and for the entire female section (where they explained how ovulation happened and stuff), they had the sort of music that usually accompanies deep-sea Discovery Channel programs. And somehow they made the inside of the fallopian tube look like silk passageways or something... yeah, ovaries are cool. x-)

re:summer attire: I wear shorts or pants unless there's something imporant that requires a more elegant dress code. Then I drag out the one elegant skirt that I own (which goes down to my ankles). I prefer it that way, tbh, I do not like skirts. "Tomboy" = awesome, for me.

EDIT::: Totally other-topic question: I shaved my armpits for the first time in a while this morning, and now, 10 hours later, they're still stinging enough to bug me. Normal?
I was thinking of either meditating or napping, but the way I do it, there's not much difference except in the explanation to the rest of my family.

"If anyone finds the plot of this book, tell it I love it very much and want it to come home."

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:35 am UTC

HedgehogsAreFunneh wrote:EDIT::: Totally other-topic question: I shaved my armpits for the first time in a while this morning, and now, 10 hours later, they're still stinging enough to bug me. Normal?

Was the razor sharp? That happens to me when I don't use a new one.

Pi is still tasty.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:45 am UTC

Mmmm, Pi wrote:Was the razor sharp? That happens to me when I don't use a new one.

Same for me, or if I press too hard with either a new or old one. Taking too many layers of skin cells off is an icky feeling...

Edited to clarify: with a new razor, lightly drag the thing over the hair as gently as possible. With an older razor, you can use a bit more pressure, but it's still too easy to nick the tops off of the hair pores (or whatever those ubiquitous armpit bumps are), leaving them raw. Better to leave a trace of stubble than walk around whimpering for a day.

/ow ow ow
Last edited by poxic on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:15 am UTC

Or if I don't bother to use enough/any shaving gel...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:52 am UTC

In winter, I either wear a multitude of ankle-length skirts or my one pair of man-jeans. I can't stand most female clothing, loose and flowy or just plain baggy is easiest for me. In summer, usually a single long skirt and a singlet. I'm not sure if I'm okay with wearing garments with a hemline above the knee anymore, I've grown fond of the idea that my body is for the viewing pleasure of my SO only (not that it's solely for viewing pleasure, but solely for my partner's eyes). Even without baring any thigh, I get comments like "God, put those things away, you look like a wooly mammoth." Yeah, I don't remove any body hair. It's just easier this way, and amusing to watch the faces of others as their sensibilities are offended.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:56 am UTC

weighing in on the summer clothes issue: I pretty much wear jeans-and-tshirts year round. The two skirts I have are for work (longer than knee length black skirts). If I'm going to the beach or it's a really nice day I might wear shorts - shortish baggy ones, or long boardshorts.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:36 pm UTC

There is no real pattern to my dressing. Summer tends to involve more skirts though, but always with tights because I am not so sure about my knees. It's all mood dependent. I'd wear dresses a lot more often if it wasn't so hard for me to find nice shoes. I'd do the skirt and boots thing too [because it's cool] but my calves are just to thin :( Narrow small feet, and scrawny ankles make for a lot of hard footwear choices.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:33 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:I'd do the skirt and boots thing too [because it's cool] but my calves are just to thin :( Narrow small feet, and scrawny ankles make for a lot of hard footwear choices.

E_E, I say rock the boots with dresses look. My ankles/calves/knees are scrawny too, so boots always look like wellingtons on me. I justify it to my insecure brain by saying i'm attempting to look like a cool, grunged up girl from the mid 90's, listening to The Breeders on her MP3 player.

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

as somebody who remembers the mid-90s pretty well, the mp3 player seems out of place in that picture...

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:44 pm UTC

Okay, so this is something that's come up loads of times before, I'm sure, but it's always nice to have answers actually directed at you...

Ladies in the UK: how easy is it to get the pill? Should I just be making an appointment with my GP and saying I want to go on the pill, or what?
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

Cassi wrote:Okay, so this is something that's come up loads of times before, I'm sure, but it's always nice to have answers actually directed at you...

Ladies in the UK: how easy is it to get the pill? Should I just be making an appointment with my GP and saying I want to go on the pill, or what?

From what my friends have told me, it's really is just as easy as making an appointment with your GP. My friend was actually in there less time then she was about her asthma.

Pi is still tasty.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

helen wrote:as somebody who remembers the mid-90s pretty well, the mp3 player seems out of place in that picture...

Cassette players, I remember those days.
I miss how, when your batteries were low, the music would slow right down. That's the kind of awesome you don't get on an mp3 player.

Return to “General”