[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Furkins

Re: Woman thread - NO HOMERS CLUB

Postby Furkins » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

uuuh, woman thread, fancy!

How long is your cycle generally?

It's the funniest thing! mine ALWAYS starts on the 28th and ends on the first or second of every month. July, September, February, always the same... my body even knows leap years!

Does anybody have any good suggestions what to do about bad cramps? Even the strongest painkiller I have at home doesn't really help and I can barely stand up straight if I dont take anything and I dont want to pop pills like candy... Plus painkillers are rather expensive with the kind of budget I have and my parents wont pay for painkillers because my mom thinks any pain can be endured and pharmaceutical companies just want to make money and it harms your aura to take chemical pills or something.

On the subject of purses: I've never been very fond of purses. I usually take my Freitag bag. It's roomy, it's waterproof, it's made from recycled stuff, it's great :)

Mitora

Postby Mitora » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

If Shark Week is that pretictable, take a warm bath the night before Shark Week starts. Then that morning take a ibprofen and a aspirin (straight up little white pill kind). I had mindblowing cramps and I did that once, I felt great both cramp days when I'm usually about to die.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

Furkins wrote:Does anybody have any good suggestions what to do about bad cramps? Even the strongest painkiller I have at home doesn't really help and I can barely stand up straight if I dont take anything and I dont want to pop pills like candy... Plus painkillers are rather expensive with the kind of budget I have and my parents wont pay for painkillers because my mom thinks any pain can be endured and pharmaceutical companies just want to make money and it harms your aura to take chemical pills or something.

Convince your mum it's really bad and have her take you to a homeopath. I've used something called MSM that I took every day (also on non girlweek days) and greatly decreased the cramps during menstruation! its herbal & natural. However, those pills are pretty expensive so do discuss this with mum :)

Im sure you can get them without a prescription too tho. But checking with a professional is a good idea.
This too shall pass

Sebeka2

Postby Sebeka2 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:26 pm UTC

If this isn't your first year of menstruation and you can't stand up straight for the pain, see a gyn. I ignored that kind of pain for years -- I didn't realize it was out of the ordinary -- and it turned out to be ovarian cysts bursting, not "regular" cramps. Once I started treating for that, the pain went away. I'm not suggesting this is what you have, but what's the harm in making sure it's nothing more serious than regular cramps?
Willpower lasts about two weeks and is soluble in alcohol. ~ Mark Twain(?)

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:10 am UTC

I went on the pill to treat mine and it is working like a dream. I used to be unable to walk for the pain, and now I forget I even have Shark Week. Before I went on the pill I dosed myself up insanely with ibuprofen, and carried a hot wheatbag pressed to my abdomen.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:17 am UTC

Purses: I am in search of a new black hole purse. You know, the kind you can always find more room in despite its small size. My old one served me well for years, but... aged. I could fit a paperback in it along with whatever else I had, but I can't do that with my current one... so I'm in search of something slightly bigger and more capacitytastic.

I'm also in search of a largish messenger bag for school. My current one is a laptop bag I got for free at a yard sale a year ago, and it's falling apart, so I want something new and nice. Problem is, I don't want to pay horrible sums...

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:37 am UTC

my mom and sister went together for my last birthday and bought me the most beautiful leather satchel... i love it! i use it constantly! they both knew i was looking for something i could carry files/books/whatnot in, something more professional, and they got me the perfect bag! now i use it for almost everything (the exception, of course, being when the cute, black, going out purse needs to come out...).

i never used to be a purse girl, but all of the sudden i find myself with several (2 of which were gifts from family members who know my tastes well), all of which i love! the girlie side of my nerd-girl-ness is really starting to emerge! :D
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:48 am UTC

I love my purse. It works great. I can throw it over the shoulder across my body so I don't lose it, it's big enough for most of my stuff...
got it at Garage.

I love it.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:04 am UTC

I have too many purses. Everyone buys me purses. But I love them.

My favorite right now is this excellent largish sparkly brown one that is almost entirely covered with beads in varying stripes... it's hard to describe but it's shiny and hippie-ish and I love it far too much. However, I'm also in the market for a nice messenger bag. I'm off to college in the fall and want something I can sling over my shoulder and not worry about, and maybe haul a paperback or two in as well.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:07 am UTC

Do large totes count as purses? Because I use a tote. I really don't keep a small purse because I carry many items with me when I go places. I used to use small, super-girly purses alot when I was younger; but I, and the amount of things I carry, grew out of small purses.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:12 am UTC

I'm all about the backpack now. I did totes and occasional purses, and used to throw all my groceries into a cloth bag that hung off my left shoulder. I recall a checkout clerk, older than me, warning me that it would end up causing trouble.

Guess what? I now have a couple of broken disks in my neck (not caused by the bags, just exacerbated), impinging on the nerves that exit the spine down toward my left arm. Not cool. It's not crippling, but it does hurt and I've had to figure out other ways to carry things.

Now I use a backpack (both straps on, not one-shouldered like I used to do it) for light, everyday things. When I shop, I use my brand-new old lady bag. :twisted: It's just a canvas bag on wheels that lets me stack cans and cartons and veggies in it, and keeps my elbows from getting all tennisy from the weight of bags held in my hand. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_elbow, if you're curious. Hurts. Avoid it.)

Trust me, getting old sucks* (I'm only 39, for fuxakes).
--
* physically, anyway. Mentally and emotionally, it does get better. The mental sharpness decreases a bit after the mid-30s or so, but in exchange you learn how to use it more efficiently -- what's really worth thinking about here? Emotionally, I'm 500% better off than I was 20 years ago. 300% of that is probably due to therapy, but that still leaves 200%, mostly made of "I no longer give a BLOODY DAMN what anyone thinks. Ima do what I needa do." **
----
** many apologies for the impromptu hacheting of current cultural references. Old people get a pass on this, don't they?
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Furkins

Postby Furkins » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:53 am UTC

poxic wrote: Mentally and emotionally, it does get better. The mental sharpness decreases a bit after the mid-30s or so, but in exchange you learn how to use it more efficiently -- what's really worth thinking about here? Emotionally, I'm 500% better off than I was 20 years ago. 300% of that is probably due to therapy, but that still leaves 200%, mostly made of "I no longer give a BLOODY DAMN what anyone thinks. Ima do what I needa do."

It does? Ah that makes me feel a lot better. I hate that stupid teen angstyness... it stays, even though I'm not technically a teen anymore. It's great that therapy helped you. It made things only worse for me, so I stopped wasting all that money ;)

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:32 pm UTC

mmmh im very girlie and wear lots on my left shoulder (which occasionally does hurt indeed). If I have a bad day (tennis-y arm feeling) I refrain from wearing a bag and I'm ok. I dont wear ridiculously BIG or heavy bags tho, but its def something to think about.

I bought a moderately sized purse from primark the other day (£3,- on sale, its black with purple and white and two small front zipped pockets that are BRILLIANT!!) that I constantly wear. I have had one bag in my current residency for 10 months, but got tired of it, and brought my otter cute bag from Sacha (see pic) that I left at home previously. Small-ish, but carries my little note book (having pen&paper ready whenever FTW!) and my bottle o'water, and my wallet, ergo: big enough. that, and it's cute. I have three, four more girlie bags still at home tho. And about 8 more pairs o'shoes (i have like 10-ish here atm). I threw away about 15 pair already (mostly old and/or outdated) and about 10 purses.

Me, girlie?! :roll: that & a very good (=bad) saver o'Things *facepalm*

pic: kitteh loves the purses toooooo:
Spoiler:

(in case yr wondering: shes small. the purse is not big; she'd fit in there ;))
This too shall pass

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

Ah, i'm a bit of a creature of habit when it comes to bags and if I find the perfect one, i'll wear it into it falls apart. It must fit every possible, stupid criteria, so I usually end up going on epic searches for one. I usually look for one which can at least fit in an A4 sketchbook, is waterproof, has lots of inside pockets for Secret Things and is one I can sling across my body. Style wise, I usually go for vintage, leather satchel type bags. My current one is like this, but with an amazing green, paisley detail silk inside. It's like a William Morris party, and everyone's invited.

I'd post a 'what's in my bag' type photo, but i'm at work. Maybe when I get home.

EDIT: Heheeee, Artemisia, my friend Catherine back at home loves to do that too. Also, yay for Primark bags! I've got so many which i've bought on a whim, usually as my 'going out' bag.
i dare you to take me on...

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:32 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:as for the former, yea, hehe, we're cute ;) Ask Moo :D
*throws up from the cuteness, and the vomit explodes into candy*
:P nah they're adorable, everytime I look at them my face goes "squee".

So I coloured my hair purple. Well, Deadly Nightshade to be more accurate. If I can take a pic I don't hate I'll post it. I was worried that it would look too gothic/pale on me - I am very pale and last coloured my hair these dark funky colours when it was really really short, not shoulder length like it is now. But I love it. Hubby's always liked me with funky hair too, in fact it was purple black when he first asked me out. I just forgot how much bloody effort it is - everything in the bathroom had these bright purple stains everywhere, it took me ages and a lot of bleach to get the bath clean again. I had to sacrifice one facecloth and one towel and my left hand's nails are still slightly purple from rinsing out the dye. Still - fun!

Felt like sharing.

Also, where is my damned period? I've been pointlessly wearing pantyliners for three days now. Come on already.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Miffany

Postby Miffany » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:19 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:I went on the pill to treat mine and it is working like a dream. I used to be unable to walk for the pain, and now I forget I even have Shark Week. Before I went on the pill I dosed myself up insanely with ibuprofen, and carried a hot wheatbag pressed to my abdomen.

I've been on the pill as well...the only downside that I don't like is the paps that comes along with it....yeah, virgin here...and it hurt like hell. ouch. But the pill is pretty amazing, I'd say so myself.

I'm not a big purse person...if I do carry something around, it's more of a tote or a backpack. Although, pockets and wallet in the back pocket works for me. :)

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

On the handbag subject, most of my favourite ones are straight of second hand stores.. Anything that can be customised is also a good thing.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

I finally got myself fully assimilated into purse land this fall when I was in FL for 6 months. Before that I was a full time student with a permanent backpack, so that's where my crap ended up and not in a purse. But out of school, I wasn't going to carry a backpack and it was really freaking hot for the entire time I was down there, so I mostly wore skirts. With no pockets, naturally. Which means purse (or shove things down my shirt which only really works for things that I'm not planning to actually use). But my mom had spent years before that trying to turn me into a purse person so she buys them for me.

Current one is a purse that my mom bought me for my birthday and I just spontaneously decided to switch to it a few days ago. It's a little bigger than my old on but not by much. It's actually made out of almost messenger baggish material but is small/medium purse sized and shaped. It's also purple and well near indestructible. My requirements are generally: has a few inside pockets for stuffs, is big enough to fit a paperback inside and that I like it (this one's the hardest to meet).
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:27 am UTC

Ooooh, Moo, do post some pics please? I have hair dye waiting in my bathroom for me but it seems like so much effort, and it's so nerve wracking having to colour my own hair, I'm always convinced I'll forget some big block of hair at the back of my head. Also, before I bought the dye I was hating my hair colour, it seemed really mousy and dull, and yet since I bought it my colour is a bit more lustrous and glossy. Bah. I'll wait til I hate my hair again and then take instant action.

Anyway, bags. Yes. I am a little hoarder. One for every occasion. My mom loves her labels, and really just seems to buy bags because they fill a certain purpose in that they're a certain brand. I'll never forgive her for the Louis Vuitton phase. Ugh. That said, every now and again I get to inherit her hand me downs, and I have a pretty little Chloe bag beside my bed. However, it's seen the light of day once and I vowed never again, it being horrifically uncomfortable to use and not at all user friendly. I much prefer a Primark bag I bought at the beginning of the summer that was like 1% the price. I have a big beautiful DKNY bag, it's bright orange leather and falling to pieces, but I adore it, and I think age adds character to a leather bag. My prize possession though is a black Moschino clutch that I got on Sale for 70% off, it's timeless and a classic and my pride and joy. Hmm, do I seem like a bit of a label-whore with all the name dropping? I really shouldn't...as I said, the bag that got most use this summer was €12.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:56 am UTC

My "purse" is a nylon Victorinox sling bag. I can wear it across my chest, it is tough as nails (it's been with me for about 5 years now, and still looks fine), and it fits my phone, wallet, keys, chapstick...that's really all I need. It's not particularly stylish. I don't particularly care.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:09 am UTC

Thread.. so huge.. *dies*
But finished, finally. Now the readjustment to reading only a couple of posts each visit.

Bags:
I have a lot of trouble finding bags that I'm comfortable carrying around. Handbags I leave random places. I suppose that's because I'm not used to them, so would improve with practice? Backpacks catch my hair on zips and buckles if I wear them properly (over both shoulders), so I sling them over my right shoulder only, which makes my upper back unhappy pretty quickly. I like the 'green' bags of various colours, but they're only suitable when I'm not carting around lots of books and laptop.

I completely understand other people not being able to find specific items in your bag. In the inky blackness of a backpack with not enough sortable subsections, I tell things apart purely by texture, not sight.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

backslash

Postby backslash » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:35 pm UTC

I honestly can't tell if this belongs in the woman thread or the man thread, but I saw this bag and nearly fainted:

Must have one.
"...life's too long to bother with suing Andrew fucking Lloyd Webber." -- Roger Waters

hestia

Postby hestia » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

I am really bad at consistently keeping everything I need in my purse. Advil especially since I need to have little bottles everywhere in case of migraines appearing. I always end up moving things around and forgetting where I put them.

On the period thing, I use those disposable heating pads for when I have to actually go do stuff. Advil used to do the trick put either my cramps are getting worse or my body is building up resistance (I suspect both). The only issue is my current job requires me to haul computers around so sometimes it burns a bit when the pad gets shoved up against my skin or I sweat into it too much. The little bit of pain there though is much preferable to being without the heating pad.
NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

My 'purse' is made up of soda can tops. You know those little tabs? They are like a little chain mail bag with a liner. It fits lots o stuff, and changes shape to fit wheat I need.

Funny thing is, guys seem to comment on it more than ladies...

I would try to find a pic, but my sister brought it back from South America for me. I will see if I can find one..
http://s3.amazonaws.com/stylehive/blog/ ... oroBag.jpg
this is the idea but the bag is rounded at the bottom and the straps blend in and out of the bag part better...
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

Wow, Sophy, that's awesome!

I have a bag that reminds me a little bit of that- it's made of little metal scales sewed together somehow, but it's not very well made so the part where the scales are sewn onto the lining has ripped since it's heavy and thread isn't actually meant to hold up to such abuse. I need to find some wire and fix it. My life needs more shiny these days.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:03 am UTC

I have been kinda looking for a purse that I like and would actually use for a long time with no success. I generally use my pockets or messenger bag, or just put things into my girlfriend's purse if she is with me. It sucks that I am this picky though. Hopefully I find something soon.
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

IronyandParadox

Postby IronyandParadox » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:31 am UTC

(Sorry to switch to another topic)
Moo wrote:*snip*

So I coloured my hair purple. Well, Deadly Nightshade to be more accurate. If I can take a pic I don't hate I'll post it. I was worried that it would look too gothic/pale on me - I am very pale and last coloured my hair these dark funky colours when it was really really short, not shoulder length like it is now. But I love it. Hubby's always liked me with funky hair too, in fact it was purple black when he first asked me out. I just forgot how much bloody effort it is - everything in the bathroom had these bright purple stains everywhere, it took me ages and a lot of bleach to get the bath clean again. I had to sacrifice one facecloth and one towel and my left hand's nails are still slightly purple from rinsing out the dye. Still - fun!
*snip*

Oooh. Yes, pics! I've been toying with the idea of dying just the tips of my hair in a random color before my mother makes me cut half of it off...grr. My hair's slightly longer than waist length, so I figure that if I dye the tips a good couple of inches I can cut it off and it won't matter. It's also kinda blonde-ish brown, so if I don't bother bleaching it first and I use a dye that fades out after a few months, I won't have to cut my hair off at all!
So, my question is: is that hair dye really as short-lived as they say on their website?
Also, where the hell can you buy hair dye in something other than natural colors? Can you buy manic panic in stores? I haven't seen it...

As for purses: Backpack during the school year and purse during the summer. Since it's summer, my purse is a vera bradley one in "peacock," a very pretty teal pattern. Oh god...I feel hopelessly preppy now. Sorry, guys. In my defense, it's pretty! And big enough to a 400 page hardback and an ipod!
I'm on the lookout for a nice, subdued messenger bag, though. My poor backpack has seen better days, and I want to get something else *before* it breaks.

Edit: I've seen bags made out of soda tabs, and I keep wondering if I could make one. Hmm... I&P has a new project!
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:17 am UTC

IronyandParadox wrote:Oooh. Yes, pics!
Very well :D
DeadlyNightshade.JPG
DeadlyNightshade.JPG (58.14 KiB) Viewed 4812 times

So, my question is: is that hair dye really as short-lived as they say on their website?
I would say yes but with the disclaimer that my hair is really really bad at keeping any colour whatsoever, so YMMV. All colour fades fast on me but I've washed it once and it's already a lot lighter. I left it on for the minimum stated, 15 mins, because I was so unsure of colouring my longer hair for the first time. I see on the site people leave it on for hours so maybe that makes a difference. I also see that they have a gel formulation (in fewer colours) that supposedly lasts longer. Cool water for washing, less frequent washing and supposedly special shampoos can help it stay longer (thanks DJorgensen for the cool water tip).
Also, where the hell can you buy hair dye in something other than natural colors? Can you buy manic panic in stores? I haven't seen it...
I bought mine in Camden, London, at Cyberdog, a kinda cyberpunk clothing and stuff store, but I've never seen it anywhere else. A few of the mainstream haircolour brands do a few slightly funky colours, like bright reds, blue black and violet black in supposed permanent colour. Be careful if your hair is as ... porous? ... as mine to use an old pillowcase since my colour, especially blue black (my favourite) used to come off on it for days after colouring.

Edit: I just realised this is the first real picture of my face on the fora.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm UTC

IronyandParadox wrote:Oooh. Yes, pics! I've been toying with the idea of dying just the tips of my hair in a random color before my mother makes me cut half of it off...grr. My hair's slightly longer than waist length, so I figure that if I dye the tips a good couple of inches I can cut it off and it won't matter. It's also kinda blonde-ish brown, so if I don't bother bleaching it first and I use a dye that fades out after a few months, I won't have to cut my hair off at all!

OOOH! OOOH! A QUESTION I CAN ANSWER! :D

I have shoulder length blonde hair and before I had layers, I used to dye the tips burgundy, or sometimes that funky colour Moo has there. In my experience, for us it is not so short lived as it says because your blonde hairs will hold the dye like you would not believe, particularly red pigment. I used an eight wash burgundy rinse the first time, and the bottom of my hair stayed mildly tinged red until I cut it. After that I think I used whatever semi-permanents my mother and sister were using, since my mother has short hair and we all have fine hair, so it worked out more economically efficient if we all used the same colour, and similarly they faded but never completely.

As for finding hair dye other than natural colours, keep in mind that with light hair the colours will be more vivid. My sister has dark brown hair, so while her red-based hair dye gave her warm highlights, it was very bright on me. I wish I had photos of how it all used to look, but unfortunately I do not. I miss putting rinses in; now I only do it rarely when my hair needs super conditioning, and then I limit myself to the light blonde based rinses that will give me warmth and shine and something just a little different without jeopardising my natural colour.

IronyandParadox

Postby IronyandParadox » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Moo, your hair looks lovely! And ohmygoodness it's so curly, which is awesome!

Thanks for the information, ladies. I think I'll check a beauty supply shop for hair dye soon. I know I probably would have completely botched everything without your help and information, and it probably would have led to a rather unhappy girl with a bob. And I probably would never have thought of stuff like "use an old pillowcase" on my own. Now, I'll (probably) still do something wrong, but I'll mess up *less*!
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.

Mercy

Postby Mercy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

As far as purses go, I didn't use to wear anything but messenger bags. Then again, I also didn't wear heels or skirts, so go fig. (Got 3 new green dresses when shopping for a gym bag the other day. We almost forgot to get a gym bag after I aggrod on some shoes. :>)

I now wear a simple rounded black purse which fits a small armada and a beige one, both leather. Also a small red 'lookit how kewt I am!' date-type bag. Oh, also have a huge designer bag in some corner which I got for free at my last job. :)
"I don't have any solution but I certainly admire the problem." -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:My 'purse' is made up of soda can tops. You know those little tabs? They are like a little chain mail bag with a liner. It fits lots o stuff, and changes shape to fit wheat I need.

Funny thing is, guys seem to comment on it more than ladies...

I would try to find a pic, but my sister brought it back from South America for me. I will see if I can find one..
http://s3.amazonaws.com/stylehive/blog/ ... oroBag.jpg
this is the idea but the bag is rounded at the bottom and the straps blend in and out of the bag part better...

I love it! Very awesome.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Jadestone

Postby Jadestone » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:33 pm UTC

On purses- I don't usually use one. In school I have my backpack, stuffed as it gets, and I don't really go anywhere else. In tennis season I have my tennis racket bag thing, and I don't ever take stuff to hockey practice. Jade is not a very social person and doesn't have any free time, so there's nowhere else I go where I need things that can't fit in pockets, really.

But I'm in summer school right now (economics, getting ahead in credits (a year earlier before I"m supposed to be, but it is too late for them to kick me out now, HA)), and I don't have enough crap with me to use a backpack. I have a Modest Mouse tote bag I use now for ferrying stuff (book/journal/pens/pencils/sharpies for writing to-do lists on my wrist/water bottle/snacks/a folding fan I bought in China/my braces (oh crap I should be wearing those right now)/more crap) around, and I think I've filled it enough to qualify it as a purse.

But it is ver-r-r-ry big. Approximately a foot and 4 inches wide and a foot and three inches deep. The top was really gaping so I folded it in and put a few safety pins down the edge to make it smaller. They also look cool. I may be adding more modifications to it as one side has the band's logo but the other is blank.

I have one other green purse that's pretty and has a long over-the-shoulder-strap. It's small, though, I've only used it a few times when I want to carry a book around with me but don't want to hold it.

Also, Sophy, that purse is awesome!

On hair dye: Never dyed my own hair, but I helped my friend dye hers purple not to long ago. It looked cool. It faded pretty fast, though, even though she's blond; it was crappy dye.
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

@moo: prettttttyyyyyyy!! <3
This too shall pass

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

Moo! We're hairstyle, colour, and shopping twins! EEEK!
...well, a the moment mine needs re-dying, but that looks like my favourite of the range ;) *stamp of approval*

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:05 pm UTC

Hmmm. I wonder what I can get away with hair colour wise in the office...

No, Jess. Tattoo first.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:31 pm UTC

Moo, your hair looks fierce. As are those retro sunglasses. Anyway, that's a really nice colour. I'd love to dye my hair something along the lines of that, but that's way too much drama with the crazyness on my head.
i dare you to take me on...

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:44 am UTC

IronyandParadox wrote:I've been toying with the idea of dying just the tips of my hair in a random color before my mother makes me cut half of it off...grr. My hair's slightly longer than waist length, so I figure that if I dye the tips a good couple of inches I can cut it off and it won't matter. It's also kinda blonde-ish brown, so if I don't bother bleaching it first and I use a dye that fades out after a few months, I won't have to cut my hair off at all!

This is more-or-less what I did a couple of months ago. Sounds like we have similar natural colour too.
I greatly recommend doing it, but suggest that you avoid choosing blue. I used a 'Paint-Box' brand of dye, and it looked brilliant for the first week or so, then rapidly deteriorated into a murky green. It would work if you are prepared to redye it every week or so, or smother it with another colour when it begins to fade. My hair still has a tinge of both colours; it doesn't look like it's going to properly disappear any time soon. But I'm getting a 'trim' tomorrow so it doesn't matter.

Something that I was thinking about the other day - Is there a length limit for a haircut to still count as just a trim? Or would it be a fraction of the total length? I intend to get the lower quarter or so of my hair cut, so ~30cm will be lopped.

Your mother is making you cut it off? Mine gets annoyed when I mention cutting it. :(
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

namaize

Postby namaize » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:43 am UTC

IronyandParadox wrote:So, my question is: is that hair dye really as short-lived as they say on their website?

Whoo hair dye! As far as lasting... it depends. To keep it in longer: bleach, shampoo infrequently with cool water, hope for favorable interactions with the dye and your hair (no hard and fast rule here, sorry... test strands help), leave the dye on your hair wrapped in plastic (so it's heated by your head) for longer than it says... heat will help set it; the dye itself (unlike bleach) should not harm your hair if it stays on a long time. There's a lot of information online if you go looking for it
Some dyes stay in REALLY well. Atomic Pink by Special Effects (SFX) is a great example; I currently have two (pre-bleached) streaks in my (Asian) hair. I didn't bleach all that well, so it was never brighter than magenta, but I (with help from my roommate) dyed it once in September and touched it up in December and I'm still get compliments on the red in July. Word on the street is the best way to get rid of Atomic is with scissors. ^^ There are parts fairly faded down near the roots where it kinda missed the touch-up and is more orangish-pink, but the dye's still there. I could probably dig up/take timelineish pictures if you want. Reds tend to stay in better than blues; blues tend to fade to smurf-poop-green if not well-maintained.
If you don't bleach, it will probably stay in a couple weeks. My SO has medium brown hair and we used one of the dark Manic Panic (MP) reds without bleaching and it lasted... I wanna say 2-3 weeks? Pretty sure it was under a month. I've also heard many stories of people using [dye brand/color] and it washing out right away, where [dye brand/color] is just about anything. It really varies. I've heard the most positive reviews for SFX and MP, though. Punky and RAW are less common but some people like them too (RAW is scented, though... may or may not be to your liking. Wasn't to mine.)

Also, DEFINITELY try to get someone to help. ESPECIALLY if you're bleaching. Even if neither of you know what you're doing, it's a lot easier seeing the back of your head with a second pair of eyes (and maybe a camera). And extra hands can be very helpful.

For buying... I don't know where you're located, but Hot Topic has dyes. SFX goes fast (I got it online), but that's where I picked up RAW. Sally's Beauty also has dye, which is where I got the MP.

Oh, another two cents: if you've been toying with the idea... just do it! If your mom wants it cut off, she shouldn't care, right? And if you like it, you can always do it again later.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:44 am UTC

Jessica wrote:Hmmm. I wonder what I can get away with hair colour wise in the office...

No, Jess. Tattoo first.

Hehehe I got away with crazy hair at the office. No negative comments were sent my way either.

I have been putting off getting my tattoos for far too long now though. I had all my ideas drafted up a few years ago..... I need to get on it sometime soon here....
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Return to “General”