[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

hermaj

Re: Woman thread - NO HOMERS CLUB

Postby hermaj » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:27 am UTC

I like how my legs are after shaving and doing it doesn't bother me much, but I think while it is winter and I can get away with some growth then I might as well get it waxed or epilated. My leg hair is very fine and very light anyway, and it already grows patchily so a few more waxes and I should only have to shave to catch the odd few hairs. Yay!

Does anyone have any experience with hair removal cream, actually? I've been thinking of using that stuff in summer rather than shaving just to see what the differences are, but I don't know anyone who uses it so I'm not sure what it's like.

EDIT: I briefly considered posting a picture of my leg hair... kind of glad I didn't since it would have been all top of the page and everything. :P Here, check out my new frames instead. (Pardon the slightly goofy look on my face.) Frames!

Spoiler:

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:34 am UTC

I used to use creams over shaving, but as it doesn't destroy the root, I have the same itchy problem as I do with shaving.

The creams/mousses/sprays are all dead easy to use, so long as you can stand the smell. Spray or smoothe on, wait, rinse, exfoliate, done!

/angell
Last edited by GhostWolfe on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Lutetium

Postby Lutetium » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:47 am UTC

Nice frames hermaj, they make your eyes look pretty. ^__^ I was actually expecting a picture of leg hair before I read your post. Hehe.
I haz awesome procrastination skills, let me show you them .... laterz.

dreadfulduck

Postby dreadfulduck » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:58 am UTC

now i hate that when I shave, I can never quite get the hairs on the back of my calves to disappear -- you can always see the root. It makes it look like I have abnormally large pores. I wish I could get rid of it!! But I am too lazy to try anything other than shaving like waxing or plucking or something...

Mitora

Postby Mitora » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Speaking of hair....I cut mine today. @.@ My head hair that is. This may not sound like a big deal, but my hair is very very very thick and extremly curly. I've had it just about destroyed by hairdressers so I have a lot of anxiety about it. So I started out slow, managed to get five layers in. Its actually pretty cute. I may clean it up a little more later on. ^^

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:32 am UTC

Mitora wrote:Speaking of hair....I cut mine today. @.@ My head hair that is. This may not sound like a big deal, but my hair is very very very thick and extremly curly. I've had it just about destroyed by hairdressers so I have a lot of anxiety about it. So I started out slow, managed to get five layers in. Its actually pretty cute. I may clean it up a little more later on. ^^

I know what hair anxiety is like. *hugs* That is great that you got something you like! Thanks for the frame love too, guys. Hopefully I can put the script in tomorrow and have them ready for next week.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:11 am UTC

Going back to hair removal creams, pretty much what GhostWolfe said. I'd add on that from what I remember, they last longer than shaving but not quite as long as waxing. They're also entirely painless. You can get some that are scented, so they don't always smell too bad. The only problem I ever had was stealing the bathroom for long enough! Although there is one that your can use in the shower now that I've been meaning to try.
I generally prefer to wax rather than shave. I'm bad at not cutting myself.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:16 am UTC

only SLIGHT on-topicness to girly stuff ...
my dad has persauded me to go to the doctor's since the pain in my adobmen-ish-area is way beyond usual girly pains ... as in, usually I don't get them at all and these are making me cry (and I have a high pain tolerance). And because I'm throwing up and having headaches and toilet-stuff that shouldn't be mentioned in polite company ... I just REALLY don't want to. I don't want the doctor to say "stomach bug, go home you wuss!"
Buuuuut ... it HURTS.
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:49 am UTC

vqcg - don't be silly, you are obviously not well. *frowns at vqcg until she stops being stubborn*

hair removal cream - they're fine, I never had a problem (although I still much prefer waxing). I mostly used to use it on my lip and sometimes under my arms although I did try that "use in the shower" one on my legs and it was rubbish, it didn't stay on at all.

@angell, I'm not sure at all but my gut instinct tells me you are just as likely to get ingrowns with elipation; the hair is going to be thinner, weaker and tapered when it grows back so isn't it going to have even more trouble breaking through the skin? Do you exfoliate your legs at all, cause if it is the reason you get bumpy red itchiness it will help to remove the dead skin cells so the hairs can come through the surfice more easily. Please note I may be talking total rubbish here, it is just my understanding of ingrown hairs and related bumpiness.

I waxed my legs last night for the first time in... like... three months? I want to start wearing my skirts a bit more. It is actually good to be smooth, it makes a nice change :)
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Lutetium

Postby Lutetium » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:01 am UTC

vqcg wrote:only SLIGHT on-topicness to girly stuff ...
my dad has persauded me to go to the doctor's since the pain in my adobmen-ish-area is way beyond usual girly pains ... as in, usually I don't get them at all and these are making me cry (and I have a high pain tolerance). And because I'm throwing up and having headaches and toilet-stuff that shouldn't be mentioned in polite company ... I just REALLY don't want to. I don't want the doctor to say "stomach bug, go home you wuss!"
Buuuuut ... it HURTS.

Sweetkins, it sounds similar to a virus I had. Funny thing is, they just sent me home with painkillers and told me to wait for it to pass. Fat lot of good doctors are. -___-. I suggest hot soup and nice soothing things, that always make it just that bit more bearable.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:04 am UTC

Make sure you keep your fluids up, but it does sound like something you should see a doctor about.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:18 am UTC

vqcg wrote:only SLIGHT on-topicness to girly stuff ...
Buuuuut ... it HURTS.

£10 on a bladder infection. Go to the docs you'll get antibiotics and/or painkillers and you get to drink gallons of barley water.

Similarly, I have a kidney infection, well probably. The doc says infection despite the fact that I have NO symptoms of infection apart from PAIN, but he (rightly) says I am so unlikely to have stones or anything else we might as well assume I'm being weird and not getting all the symptoms. My wee is being analysed, so we will see.....
meanwhile: PAIN :(

Lutetium wrote:Sweetkins, it sounds similar to a virus I had. Funny thing is, they just sent me home with painkillers and told me to wait for it to pass. Fat lot of good doctors are. -___-.

To be honest that's about as good as treatment for viruses get.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:44 am UTC

crowey, hugs.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:53 am UTC

doctor says I have COLIC. What a big baby I am.
But yeah, I basically got "you big wuss, go home and take some paracetamol".
They also want to test for a UTI.

Lutetium

Postby Lutetium » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:06 am UTC

£10 on it not being a bladder infection :P Bladder infections turn up with pain in urinating and increased frequency. Doesn't have much to do with abdominal pain as such. I've at at least 8 or so in the last year. Nasty things they are. But crowey, if they think it's a kidney infection (and that's pretty serious) they should give you antibiotics before they start analyzing, at least that's what they do here.

Yeh, I know they can't treat viruses, but the first idiot doctor gave me anti-diarrhoeals, which blocked everything up causing more pain. Then the second one said "dear god, we can't treat viruses so you need to get rid of it as soon as possible" - then promptly prescribed me laxatives. *sigh*

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:26 am UTC

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a bladder infection. I've got one atm.
Lute, how do you deal with that? I mean, I'm crying and clutching at crotch after every attempt at urination...

Also, since the lack of gorilla-leg love is making me sad, I'll post a pic of one of mine.

DSC_00006.jpg
DSC_00006.jpg (20.25 KiB) Viewed 4827 times

I'm furrier than most of the guys at my school (predominantly Asian population), but my thighs are super-smooth and soft. It's a nice feeling, and the extra time is fantastic. Plus, people like to pet my legs now.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:30 am UTC

:P damn, I'm down £10 then.
Colic? is that even a real disease? I thought it was code for "grumpy crying infant with no discernable symptoms" :oops: I hope you're feeling better soon vqcg.

I'm on Trimethoprim 200mg for the next week, and as much barley water as I can keep in me (can't stand cranberry) to try to flush it out.

*woe*

I'm not actually feeling too bad at all, considering...I'm still at work so I can't be that ill :lol: My friend who had nephritis once is freaking out though, bless him.

Lutetium

Postby Lutetium » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:36 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:Lute, how do you deal with that? I mean, I'm crying and clutching at crotch after every attempt at urination...

GO. TO. THE. DOCTOR. NOW.

Only a few bacterial UTIs will go away on it's own. Some will ascend your ureters and get into your kidneys which can then enter your bloodstream - you need antibiotics, and fast. If you wait you can end up with scarring on your urethra which will cause difficulties later on. I don't mean to scare you - but this is pretty serious.

If you can't get to a doctor for a while: increase your fluid uptake, and take urinary alkalizers which can reduce the stinging.

After the ordeal you may want to take some cranberry capsules, depending on the cause.

And dear girl, have a cookie (^__^)>O
I know how it feels oh so well.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:43 am UTC

Oh dear, so much suffering in the woman thread today, hope y'all feel better soon!

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:56 am UTC

crowey wrote::P damn, I'm down £10 then.
Colic? is that even a real disease? I thought it was code for "grumpy crying infant with no discernable symptoms" :oops: I hope you're feeling better soon vqcg.

Well, it's pretty much a description of a symptom rather than a disease ... acute abdominal pain like someone clenching and unclenching a fist inside you :(

But yeah, in infants it is used to describe the "grumpy crying infant with no discernable symptoms", because they *think* it's abdominal pain that causes it.

Doctor said I'd probably had gastro ... something or other, basically a tummy bug, although I maybe have a UTI on top of that.

dreadfulduck

Postby dreadfulduck » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

I dunno where you live, but I live in North Carolina and a stomach bug similar to that is going around. very very similar. I just got over it in fact. Abdominal pain, diarrhea, some people vomiting, but not me..anyway, it lasted about 4 days, and I was going to go to the doctor today if it was still there, but I woke up this morning and felt a feeling I haven't felt in a few days ........ hunger!!!! yes yes yes !! eat eat eat...

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

dreadfulduck wrote:I dunno where you live, but I live in North Carolina and a stomach bug similar to that is going around. very very similar. I just got over it in fact. Abdominal pain, diarrhea, some people vomiting, but not me..anyway, it lasted about 4 days, and I was going to go to the doctor today if it was still there, but I woke up this morning and felt a feeling I haven't felt in a few days ........ hunger!!!! yes yes yes !! eat eat eat...

well, I'm a looong way from North Carolina (UK) :)
but FOUR DAYS? I was going to go back to work today, I only didn't because I was convinced to see the doctor. Though I really didn't feel up to it. :? Hope I do tomorrow

Glad you're feeling better. Ah yes, that strange ... hunger thing. I managed to eat and keep down a Subway sandwich today, so, we'll see.

dreadfulduck

Postby dreadfulduck » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

well if you're eating well, then you should probably be ok soon!!! i hate it when stomach bugs go around...

get well soon!!! good luck

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:41 pm UTC

People were talking about 'what can we do?

sign petitions maybe?
http://www.nationalpartnership.org/site ... takeaction
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Aylology

Postby Aylology » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:38 am UTC

helen wrote:Not to be redundant, but I think the idea was to talk about things that aren't really discussed in "polite" company but happen to girls in real life. Like hairy legs and messy chunky periods.

But that's the thing - I don't think hairy legs are a thing that shouldn't be discussed in 'polite' company. I don't think there's anything particularly off-putting about them.

cecikierk wrote:Well not every woman need to shave (myself for example) or care to shave, and I don't really believe everything we do is some conspiracy against feminism.

I do agree that not every woman needs to shave. I don't. I also agree that not everything we do is a conspiracy against (or for, for that matter) feminism. I'm not a feminist or anti-feminist, to begin with. (More of a humanist.)

shinybaby wrote:i don't know much about the history of hair removal, especially from a specifically female or feminist perspective, but i was at the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) not that long ago and found an interesting tidbit of information: in Ancient Egypt, the men at least (and perhaps both sexes, i don't honestly remember if it said) removed all of their body hair.

Hmm, interesting. It's easy to understand though, because in the dusty desert, I imagine it would be much easier to keep clean without a lot of hair. Modern shaving practices are a little more vague, since it's much easier to keep hairy areas clean as long as you are hygienic.

Also, I am jealous of your ROM visit. It's been years since I was there. I loved the Egypt and ancient China displays!
Ayla!
----
"There's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation." - Pierre Elliot Trudeau (1919-2000)

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

I don't mean to be pushy with these, but this is another petition. This is saying that BC should not be considered abortion. Warming, they will send you other petitions concerning women's issues (which I sort of see as a good thing, but some people dislike)
http://www.hillpac.com/action/hhspetiti ... m_medium=e
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Sebeka2

Postby Sebeka2 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Aylology wrote:
cecikierk wrote:Well not every woman need to shave (myself for example) or care to shave, and I don't really believe everything we do is some conspiracy against feminism.

I do agree that not every woman needs to shave. I don't. I also agree that not everything we do is a conspiracy against (or for, for that matter) feminism. I'm not a feminist or anti-feminist, to begin with. (More of a humanist.)

Agreed. I'm in the camp that prefers my legs without hair, though. Speaking of which, yesterday I had my first appointment to get my legs lasered.* :D

* Saying it that way makes me imagine them lasering my legs off, or maybe inserting lasers so I can zap people while performing graceful ballet moves, shooting beams from my pointy shoes.**
** I don't actually know any graceful ballet moves nor do I own pointy shoes, although I tried on a friend's pair once and got blistered toes from it. Still, I like the image.
Willpower lasts about two weeks and is soluble in alcohol. ~ Mark Twain(?)

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:31 pm UTC

Ballet is where my sig comes from (in that once I could do the beautiful moves whenever I want, and now I need to get rid of gravity first).
I has legs, sometimes they has hair, other times not. I shave for skirts most of the time but no more than 3 times a week.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

How was it sebeka?

I shave my legs usually weekly. It's been less lately.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Sebeka2

Postby Sebeka2 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:How was it sebeka?

I shave my legs usually weekly. It's been less lately.

It took about an hour. The doctor used a pencil to divide my legs into portions about the size of my hand and used that to keep pace. I felt it more on places with fine hair and thin skin (like ankles and toes) than places with thicker hair or fatter skin. On places with scars I felt nothing. I had to remember to keep my muscles relaxed because sometimes (and I don't know why) the zaps would cause a muscle to twitch just a little if I didn't.
Last edited by Sebeka2 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Willpower lasts about two weeks and is soluble in alcohol. ~ Mark Twain(?)

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

I don't think I could laser any other part of my body. Face was enough for me.

Though, if I can find someone who does actual electrolysis, I'll probably book an appointment to get the few stray hairs on my face.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

thats a dare sebeka!

On the topic of bumpyness and itch after shaving: I hope I'm not kicking in open doors, but have you tried WET shaving? by which I mean shaving cream and/or shaving under the shower? I shaved my legs dry once, in a terrible rush, and ZOMG itch!

I get itchy and bumpy when I shave my vayaya more than once a week. I shave my underarms mostly once like my legs and female bits, but sometimes during summer twice.

I've tried shaving cream, but after trying it out on a small spot on my calves first, I thought it was fine and safe, then tried my whole leg, and it fucking burned!!
I left it on because it wasn't that bad, but the hairs didn't come off. Grr.

*hugs* for all the ill people!! must be suck-y :(
Im a bit sniffly but no real reason to complain. I feel fine. and happy ^^
This too shall pass

dreadfulduck

Postby dreadfulduck » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:57 am UTC

i despise those hair removal creams...

but anyway, as soon as I got un-ill, my hubby got sicker :(...poor boy. So I gave him a massage with lavender, eucalyptus and rosemary oils to hopefully ease his tension and get him to sleep through the whole night for once...

...i hate it when we're sick

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:37 am UTC

Moo wrote:@angell, I'm not sure at all but my gut instinct tells me you are just as likely to get ingrowns with elipation; the hair is going to be thinner, weaker and tapered when it grows back so isn't it going to have even more trouble breaking through the skin? Do you exfoliate your legs at all, cause if it is the reason you get bumpy red itchiness it will help to remove the dead skin cells so the hairs can come through the surfice more easily. Please note I may be talking total rubbish here, it is just my understanding of ingrown hairs and related bumpiness.

I don't believe the problem is ingrown hairs, because none of them are ingrown, just itchy as all fuck.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

hestia

Postby hestia » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:52 am UTC

dreadfulduck wrote:but anyway, as soon as I got un-ill, my hubby got sicker

Being sick at the same time sucks.

On the topic of hair removal. I have been pondering getting my eyebrows waxed. They aren't that bad but I don't really like sporting the whole unibrow look and I don't enjoy plucking. I hate spending money on beauty treatments though. It is probably related to my crazy aunt making comments about how fat/pimply/not girly enough I am. I suppose I still have that rebellious streak in me! :)
NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:05 am UTC

dreadfulduck wrote:i despise those hair removal creams...

but anyway, as soon as I got un-ill, my hubby got sicker :(...poor boy. So I gave him a massage with lavender, eucalyptus and rosemary oils to hopefully ease his tension and get him to sleep through the whole night for once...

...i hate it when we're sick

I wish I had someone here to look after ME like that! Bet your husband really appreciates it.

It's 7:04. Plan on eating some breakfast in about 10 minutes and then going into work as long as it stays down.
Has anyone else noticed - the longer you're off work, the less you want to go back? :(

Lutetium

Postby Lutetium » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:26 am UTC

This is as girly as it gets:

WAH! PERIOD PAIN!! >_< I'm going to bed now to sleep it off.

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:31 am UTC

I actually had period cramps for the first time in a while last night. Well, with me they're not period cramps they're PMS cramps. I think it was probably mostly the paracetamol that helped but I prefer to think most of it was down to this guy, who has a microwavable wheat bag in his tummy.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:01 am UTC

Moo wrote:... microwavable wheat bag in his tummy...

These are incredible, but you have to be careful to let them cool down *completely* before re-microwaving. If they build up too much heat, they can (in really rare cases) catch fire.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist

hestia

Postby hestia » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:28 pm UTC

I have always wanted one of those things but never have been successful in acquiring one.
NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

Return to “General”