[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Re: Woman thread - NO HOMERS CLUB

Postby parkaboy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Lutetium wrote:This is as girly as it gets:

WAH! PERIOD PAIN!! >_< I'm going to bed now to sleep it off.

Yeah I'm getting that right now too. I have a squishy cold/hot pack that does pretty well, but one of those wheat bags would rock something hardcore. I'm pretty against taking any kind of medication unless I'm dying (or its fun, only not so much at this stage in my life) so I usually just suffer through it. Thankfully the cramps only last about 2 days, sometimes 3... its the gastro-intestinal upset that really gets me. :evil:

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

What I don't get is that when I do get cramps, then my thighs decide to cramp as well. This is *not cool*, and hurts like, well, your thighs cramping. Just means I can't go out on my bike, which sucks, as that's mainly how I get around.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

Yup. They run at LEAST halfway down my legs and usually end up in my calves too. =( no fun.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

dreadfulduck

Postby dreadfulduck » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

there's something wrong with me, cause I only get Shark Week every 2 months. And when I do it's pretty heavy. But every 2 months??? who knows...

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:19 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:Yup. They run at LEAST halfway down my legs and usually end up in my calves too. =( no fun.

Same here. Was an absolute nightmare when I was house-hunting and walking from pace to place where there was no good bus route. It's ouch on top of ouch, and no meds seem to actually help it. I mean, ibuprofen does nothing, and paracetamol is practically useless. It's just unfair - why can't it stay in one goddamn place?

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:26 am UTC

Ugh.
All this diarrhea and vomiting = not absorbing my pill, most likely.
I got into the habit of 'tricking' my pill by waiting until I'd thrown up to take it, and then realised that because of the diarrhea I can't trust that anyway :(
Condoms this weekend then ... assuming I can even persuade the boy to have sex with an invalid! :p
The fact that my sex drive is returning has got to be a sign I'm getting better though?
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:49 am UTC

Discovered this week that my boyfriend actually knows nothing about periods. (Well he knows why they happens, but that's about it.) Apparently during sex ed at school his teacher used to take the girls into a seperate room, because apparently guys don't need to know about periods. Also, he lives with his mum and his sister. Why didn't they tell him anything? This week has been lots of awkward explaining. Fun.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:53 am UTC

I gave my best friend a tampon leaflet to read when it became clear he also kinda sorta knew what they were and what they were for but not really. Things were getting serious with his gf and I thought I'd save her the hassle of trying to answer the questions he obviously had. Hilarity indeed.

Good for you girl, education ftw.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:07 am UTC

Favourite thing my boyfriend has said on the subject:

"You mean the bleeding can last all week?!?" accompanied by a kind of screwed up face.

I was trying so hard not to laugh, but it was kind of cute :lol: Also I'm pretty sure that's the reaction I had when my mum explained periods to me when I was about 9 :lol:
Moo wrote:

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:26 am UTC

Lutetium, on the previous page, wrote:GO. TO. THE. DOCTOR. NOW.

Believe me, I know. The last time, I was at the doctor's within an hour of the first instance of burning. This time, I had to wait for nearly two days (no money/no medicare card).

I'm experiencing pregnancy paranoia atm. It's highly unlikely- I'm on the pill, and we use condoms, but I am on antibiotics, so...
We shall see in... *checks pill pack*... 6 days.

Sort of on this topic: does anyone here know anything about the price of abortion in Australia, specifically, Sydney?
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:35 am UTC

Hehehehe. This whole topic makes me laugh.
I got my first period while on a three month camping trip with my parents and my younger brother. The total lack of privacy was interesting.

But yeah, cramps suck and I hope you all feel better soon. My legs don't cramp, but it spreads up my entire back instead. Fun times.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:40 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:Sort of on this topic: does anyone here know anything about the price of abortion in Australia, specifically, Sydney?

I have no idea, so this is a stab in the dark, but would it come under Medicare? Also, would it have something to do with your age? *goes on Google safari*

EDIT: Here y'are. http://www.arha.org.au/factSheets/medic ... essnew.pdf

hestia

Postby hestia » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:29 pm UTC

My cramps go into the soles of my feet, though ibuprofen generally does good things for me..

I just finished my girl week but my moon cup came in the mail yesterday. My husband looked at it and said "will that really fit inside you?" I laughed at him but to be honest I was sort of thinking the same thing. :oops:
NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

It feels a bit more akward getting it in the first time - for me at least - but it feels comfortable once it is and I got used to fitting it pretty quickly.

The sizing on the package worries me though - in the mooncup at least there are two sizes, and the only women who seem to need the other (presumably) bigger size is women who have had vaginal births. I am even more apprehensive of the process knowing that...

Anyhoo. I try not to complain about my occasional mild uterus ache, because I know how much worse some women have it, but the cramp-all-the-way-down-to-the-legs-or-back thing makes me feel even more thankful.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:23 pm UTC

Teapot wrote:Favourite thing my boyfriend has said on the subject:

"You mean the bleeding can last all week?!?" accompanied by a kind of screwed up face.

I was trying so hard not to laugh, but it was kind of cute :lol: Also I'm pretty sure that's the reaction I had when my mum explained periods to me when I was about 9 :lol:

I was utterly shocked when i found out my boyfriend knew nearly nothing about menstruation, or for that matter the method of birth control we were using for like four months before he mentioned it. I told him I had an IUD in the beginning, and he nodded but had no idea what that meant. Yep, never questioned it at all. What the hell. I sat down with some paper and markers and explained it all to him.

I maintain that if you're going to put your penis in something, you should understand how it works first. Sheesh.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:I maintain that if you're going to put your penis in something, you should understand how it works first. Sheesh.

:lol:
I might have to sig that :lol:
Moo wrote:

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:I maintain that if you're going to put your penis in something, you should understand how it works first. Sheesh.

Yeah, all my male friends have had periods and stuff like that explained to them, and some of them have even to buy either painkillers or period stuff for one of the women. My friend's boyfriend keeps track of when Shark Week is so he knows when to turn up with chocolate and painkillers.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

Good advice in any situation.

I'm better at keeping track of my wife's period than she is, so I can tell her the cause when she gets more cranky/depressed immediately before.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:13 pm UTC

IUD's are nice. Except they make me afraid to try the moon cup. I have been using glad rags and sea sponges. The sponge thing was sort of hard to wrap my head around, and may have the same dangers as the moon cup in terms of tugging my string... but I was never a fan of pad to begin with.

It is funny being so regular that when I am a grump (which you know, because I walk around saying "I'm a grump today") and irritated that my clothing is tight hunny reminds me I am about to have girl week. Since we first met he has been paying attention to such things... I sometimes wonder if it is left over from being raised catholic (and being used to rhythm method ideas) or having 2 sisters.

Oh, my weekly women's news came in today, so I am sharing:
http://www.nationalpartnership.org/site ... fullreport
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

msfayzer wrote:I just finished my girl week but my moon cup came in the mail yesterday. My husband looked at it and said "will that really fit inside you?" I laughed at him but to be honest I was sort of thinking the same thing. :oops:

I had exactly the same thought, and when I looked on websites and saw the comparison size of the divacup..! That thing is huge! But yeah, don't worry, it's actually really comfortable. I cannot feel mine at all.

Also - I, uh, don't know what an IUD is. I will google it away. I've been assuming it's a coil, but I could be wrong.
Edit: yes, it is a coil, and I feel less silly now

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:19 pm UTC

Depending on what country you're in, yes, it's a coil.

Intra-uterine device of awesooome. \m/
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

namaize

Postby namaize » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

Mmmm, Pi wrote:My friend's boyfriend keeps track of when Shark Week is so he knows when to turn up with chocolate and painkillers.

D'aww.
My boy doesn't mind if I complain to him about cramps/bleeding and will fetch me chocolate/ice cream :D

IUDs kind of terrify me in that "Well, we have no idea why this works but hey, it works!" way. Though hey, it works, so I'd consider getting one if I wasn't leery of it setting off my nickel allergies. (...I blame that episode of House.) I mean, tiny tiny amount of nickel, but since I'm already allergic I'd rather not have the risk.

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:
Teapot wrote:Favourite thing my boyfriend has said on the subject:

I was utterly shocked when i found out my boyfriend knew nearly nothing about menstruation, or for that matter the method of birth control we were using for like four months before he mentioned it. I told him I had an IUD in the beginning, and he nodded but had no idea what that meant. Yep, never questioned it at all. What the hell. I sat down with some paper and markers and explained it all to him.

I hope they were those big fat Crayola markers, or those kind that smell good.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

Mmmm, Pi wrote: My friend's boyfriend keeps track of when Shark Week is so he knows when to turn up with chocolate and painkillers.

That's so awesome!

(Unfortunately mine are irregular. Started taking the pill to control them though, so hopefully I won't have to worry about them starting anytime I stay over at someone else's house for very much longer. :D)
Moo wrote:

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:58 am UTC

Thanks, hermaj! Very useful, though now I feel the urge to set up some form of "Emergency Abortion Fund" for myself. Alas, I have no income.

Boy and I are taking a short break at the moment, and so I've been comforting/distracting myself with shopping. There is about one shop I've been to (apart from The Gallery Serpentine in Newtown- that's full of yummy, but incredibly expensive, corsets) that usually has something I'll like- Tree of Life; think colourful, floor-length skirts and lots of scarves. They were having a sale, and I stocked up- I got a gorgeous green, blue, and brown scarf (very wide, long, soft, and smooth); a really soft cream-coloured jumper; and a floor length black satin dress with those trailing lace sleeves and corset-style ribbon design at the front- for $29! *glee*

Damn. I can't think of a single RL friend that wouldn't look at me funny for getting all gleeful over clothing. I normally hate shopping :|

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:59 pm UTC

Luna, that place sounds awesome...color me jealous!
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

moocow

Postby moocow » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:53 pm UTC

Luna - clothes are awesome. Shopping for them sucks, but the products are so worthwhile!

I dunno what to doooo! Met Nice Boy at club last night, had a decent conversation about religion and bass guitar. He's invited me to watch his band this afternoon. Thing is I'm having a down day and feel kinda socially inadequate. You know when someone you don't even know looks at you and says 'are you feeling a little sad?'? Yea. It threw me, because I am but hadn't admitted it to myself. So now I feel like a social fool but don't want to ruin chances with Nice Boy. It's been a long time since I've had a chance with a nice boy. Advice? Really really quickly?

There went my woman thread virginity!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:52 pm UTC

moocow wrote:Luna - clothes are awesome. Shopping for them sucks, but the products are so worthwhile!

I dunno what to doooo! Met Nice Boy at club last night, had a decent conversation about religion and bass guitar. He's invited me to watch his band this afternoon. Thing is I'm having a down day and feel kinda socially inadequate. You know when someone you don't even know looks at you and says 'are you feeling a little sad?'? Yea. It threw me, because I am but hadn't admitted it to myself. So now I feel like a social fool but don't want to ruin chances with Nice Boy. It's been a long time since I've had a chance with a nice boy. Advice? Really really quickly?

There went my woman thread virginity!

Advice: GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This isn't a question. You have to go.
If you feel not great, then leave. But for now, you have to go.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

moocow

Postby moocow » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

Jessica - of course your advice was right. And of course I didn't go... But I managed it in a way that doesn't ruin chances with Nice Boy as we are going for coffee sometime - yay me! I was so pissed off at my sudden low today, don't know where it came from.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

moocow, it happens to the best of us. There have been so so many instances where I've stood up dear friends because I just couldn't bear to be in company...because I've felt I looked repulsive, or that I'd be entirely incapable of holding a conversation, and I have to say I've regretted it every single time, and the odd time that I've pushed myself out the door? I've never regretted it, not once ever. But knowing this doesn't make it any easier when I get anxious about walking out the front door.

Welcome to the woman thread, by the way.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

Going someplace and feeling awkward about it is way better than staying home because it might be awkward. (Still working on learning that myself)

I feel a little better knowing that I'm not the only one who gets cramps down my legs. I tend to ache all the way from my thighs to my boobs on Shark Week, with extra special soreness in my lower back. Blargh. Luckily, ibuprofen usually helps. I've discovered that diarrhea medicine is about the only thing that does anything for my classic, lower belly, gut wrenching cramps. Luckily those have eased off in the past few years. It's kind of interesting seeing how Shark Week symptoms change as I get older.

I bought a sexy new bra the other day. I hope it still fits when I don't have PMS swellage. If not, then at least I can have something to look forward to for that time of the month.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

Damn, an hour was too long :(
Sorry!

But, I'm glad things will still be well with you and the niceboy!

Argh! I hate this depressive state! Think happy thoughts...
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

moocow

Postby moocow » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

*Offers Jessica a biscuit* - here, these make the depressive state more bearable at least! Still yuck but more bearable.

Angelene and Flying Betty - I agree. Usually it is far better to just go, since you feel less of an idiot than passing off excuses for not going. I still have not mastered the technique of persuading myself though.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:39 pm UTC

Flying Betty wrote:I bought a sexy new bra the other day. I hope it still fits when I don't have PMS swellage. If not, then at least I can have something to look forward to for that time of the month.

Finally got myself measured the other day (last time was more than a year ago... oops) and I've actually gone down a cup size since last time I was measured :(
On the other hand it is a very good excuse to buy nice new bras :lol:
Moo wrote:

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:54 am UTC

Ugh, I hate bra shopping. I hate having to undress, I hate the lights in the changerooms, I hate having to stand there adjusting the straps because they always display the bras with the straps at the tightest possible adjustment... I hate it more now that I am 12DD! The affordable department store type places often don't seem to stock beyond a D in size 12, and the speciality places that do are expensive. I managed to find two bras at Myer on clearance, and luckily one is a t-shirt bra and the other is 5-way convertible so I'm okay for the moment. Unluckily, they are bright aqua and hot pink respectively so I'm going to have to track down a good fitting neutral-coloured bra in the next few months when it starts to head into summer.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:02 am UTC

Wait, 12? How does that work? Rib removal surgery? Or different sizing systems.

Trying on any clothing is generally an exercise in sweating. Those damn bright lights. I like pulling 'em off the rack, but once you're in there tugging on the third shirt that makes no allowance for boobs (why do they do this? why?) with mussed hair and damp pits while your shopping buddy complains about how slow you're going, the fun tends to wear off. The price tags tend to be downers, too.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:13 am UTC

Angelene wrote:There have been so so many instances where I've stood up dear friends because I just couldn't bear to be in company...because I've felt I looked repulsive, or that I'd be entirely incapable of holding a conversation, and I have to say I've regretted it every single time, and the odd time that I've pushed myself out the door? I've never regretted it, not once ever. But knowing this doesn't make it any easier when I get anxious about walking out the front door.
This is me, so many times over. It's almost a little comforting that the feeling happens in other people too.

I'm sort of on the other end of it tonight - my date canceled last second :( So I'm home eating curry and watching British comedy. But! I really like my outfit tonight, so it's getting posted. The shoes and pants are new and were cheap - pants for $20 and shoes from $10 :D I love second-hand stores.
outfit.jpg
outfit.jpg (60.75 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
(I'm standing funny in this photo :?)
Aaand close up on the shoes, because I love them.
omgshoes.jpg
omgshoes.jpg (31.5 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:18 am UTC

the third shirt that makes no allowance for boobs

Meanwhile, any shirt that fits over my shoulders will inevitably sag miserably across my chest.

Luckily, an uncle of mine in Bangladesh is an awesome designer- I have a stack of one-off pieces like a sleeveless grey and orange tunic with whirl and wave patterns; a bright green long-sleeve tunic with red, orange, yellow, green, blue, white, and purple pattern; and a gorgeous red (but again, covered in other colours) shirt. He'll also send me a bunch of clothing that sells for around $50 here, but costs him about 40c. I think I'm just gloating now.

I'll post pics later- I'm famished.

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:21 am UTC

very, very cute shoes!! :D
i need to do a little shoe shopping myself, actually. i have 3 pairs in mind that i need and haven't found yet. i get the idea in my head and then window shop until i see them... but i haven't been shopping in a while! i think i'm just going to have to make some time... :D
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

moocow

Postby moocow » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:21 am UTC

Shoe shopping.... *drifts off on happy cloud*...
Those shoes are super cute.

Return to “General”