[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Re: Woman thread - NO HOMERS CLUB

Postby Angelene » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:23 am UTC

liza, love the outfit, genuinely, that guy doesn't know what he's missing, fool. you have such a fab figure, and those jeans fit like a glove!
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

sooooo cute!!
I really wish I looked half that good.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:01 pm UTC

Jessica, it's all about finding shapes that work for you...and that is only achieved by a whole lot of trial and error!
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:46 pm UTC

I love shoe shopping because while my body from shoulders to knees is fat and unattractive, my calves are actually pretty ok, and my feet don't make me feel fat and discouraged. I hate shoe shopping because it always seems so pricey for what you actually get, and because I love the pretty heels, but they torture my feet. I usually end up with gorgeous, expensive knee-high boots that will last me 10 years or so, and I wear them every day it's cool enough but not snowy.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I love shoe shopping because while my body from shoulders to knees is fat and unattractive, my calves are actually pretty ok, and my feet don't make me feel fat and discouraged. I hate shoe shopping because it always seems so pricey for what you actually get, and because I love the pretty heels, but they torture my feet. I usually end up with gorgeous, expensive knee-high boots that will last me 10 years or so, and I wear them every day it's cool enough but not snowy.
are you talking about someone else's body from shoulders to knees? because i'm pretty sure i've seen pics of you that include at least part of that landscape and no part of you that i've seen is either particularly fat, or even the slightest bit ugly!!
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:09 pm UTC

Teapot wrote:
Flying Betty wrote:I bought a sexy new bra the other day. I hope it still fits when I don't have PMS swellage. If not, then at least I can have something to look forward to for that time of the month.

Finally got myself measured the other day (last time was more than a year ago... oops) and I've actually gone down a cup size since last time I was measured :(
On the other hand it is a very good excuse to buy nice new bras :lol:

Perspective is fun. I seem to have gone up a cup size from my usual measurements, and have been pouting about it all weekend.

Shoes! I'm hard to fit and have pretty sensitive feet, so anything that I can actually wear is generally going to be $80 a pair or up. I tried on a fun pair of shoes yesterday that I was just about ready to buy until I tripped on it and practically fell off and half killed myself. Since I was walking in them to test if I could walk around all day at work and not have sore feet, they failed :( I also had to restrain myself from trying these on in acse they fit, because then I wouldn't have been able to resist them and I have absolutely nothing to wear them with and no occasion to wear them anyway. (The purple ismuch more striking in real life. It's pretty)
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Lutetium

Postby Lutetium » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

eternal luna wrote:... Gallery Serpentine in Newtown ... Tree of Life...
Damn. I can't think of a single RL friend that wouldn't look at me funny for getting all gleeful over clothing. I normally hate shopping :|

YOU. ME. NOW. NEWTOWN. SHOPPING. :D

We have got to become shopping buddies. Newtown is less than three.

Re: the shopping rant I missed due to my not having a working keyboard. I can't find things that are small enough!! ARGH. Sometimes I wear children size twelve, but the sleeves and legs are usually too short and some shirt don't allow for boobies. BRAS! I can't find a 8C. There are never any 8s, so I have to buy size 10's and take it in at the sides - which is fairly bothersome. Pants tend not to fit me, either because my waist is too thin or my thighs are too fat. And has anyone else noticed that all the sizing has gone nuts? I usually wear a size 8, but now I have to hunt down the elusive size 6. But I haven't changed at all!

I love shoe shopping, right now I have 20 pairs of shoes not including those that have broke nor the ones that I've given away. Except I have really long toes which get squished and my right foot is bigger than my left so usually shoes don't fit both feet.

On another note, I finally got myself a working keyboard! But I'm at uni now! Blah, yucky, I finish at 8pm today and I got here at 8am.
I haz awesome procrastination skills, let me show you them .... laterz.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

shinybaby wrote:
PictureSarah wrote:I love shoe shopping because while my body from shoulders to knees is fat and unattractive, my calves are actually pretty ok, and my feet don't make me feel fat and discouraged. I hate shoe shopping because it always seems so pricey for what you actually get, and because I love the pretty heels, but they torture my feet. I usually end up with gorgeous, expensive knee-high boots that will last me 10 years or so, and I wear them every day it's cool enough but not snowy.
are you talking about someone else's body from shoulders to knees? because i'm pretty sure i've seen pics of you that include at least part of that landscape and no part of you that i've seen is either particularly fat, or even the slightest bit ugly!!

Hunney and I second! Having seen you in person many times you are one of my fav. female body types. In that yous is hot. Andrew agrees.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:37 am UTC

sorry for the unrelated note, Ive been a little too busy to read the last page of the WT. My belly was swollen for a day or two and I thought I was getting fat.
Now I also have cramps and I figured it might be Shark Week.

It explains my insatiable desire for chocolate as well for the past two days.

It hurts. It's bloody hot here too so that obviously doesnt help either.
IM BLOATHED AND I HATE IT :x :(
This too shall pass

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:05 am UTC

Lutetium wrote:And has anyone else noticed that all the sizing has gone nuts? I usually wear a size 8, but now I have to hunt down the elusive size 6. But I haven't changed at all!

Yeah, I've noticed this too, though I've always found sizing to be messed up. Example: one of my favourite outfits involves a slightly loose size 12 pair of jeans, a size 8 top and a size 14 jacket. The jeans and top are even from the same place. *shakes head in exasperation*

Trina

Postby Trina » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:17 am UTC

mmmk.

spinning off topic here for a few seconds to ... exercise routines. (yay @_@)

i started doing some walking as it's basically the only exercise i can afford at the moment. i have a bike but it's getting fixed. hubby says he will join me on walks but he isn't the athletic type at all and he's super thin as it is. my question is how does anyone stay motivated enough to get much done at all?

and now i return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:18 am UTC

sophyturtle wrote:
shinybaby wrote:
Hunney and I second! Having seen you in person many times you are one of my fav. female body types. In that yous is hot. Andrew agrees.

Shhh, we don't listen to Sarah talking like that because she is so very beautiful.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:22 am UTC

Trina wrote:i started doing some walking as it's basically the only exercise i can afford at the moment. i have a bike but it's getting fixed. hubby says he will join me on walks but he isn't the athletic type at all and he's super thin as it is. my question is how does anyone stay motivated enough to get much done at all?

I could never motivate myself to get up and walk for the sake of exercising. What finally did work was making myself walk instead of other forms of transportation, or in addition to them. Granted, this is easier when you live in a city.

When I leave work, I walk through downtown to the end of the bridge (either of the two that will get me home). That's about seven or eight blocks, depending on how much detouring I do. Then I take the bus over the bridge and decide how much more walking to do: lots = get off the bus on the other side of the bridge, less walking = stay on the bus for a few more blocks. When the weather is cloudy, or during the winter when it's dark at 5pm, I'll sometimes walk over the bridge, too. Not in the sun, though -- that's 20+ minutes with no shade, half uphill, in work clothes and no sunblock. Blechh.

This plus some small changes to my diet (no noodles, more vegetables, more lunches from home) helped me lose some 20 to 30 lbs over the last couple of years. I'm back down to my "good weight" again. :) I just need to watch that I don't keep losing -- if my once-monthly weighing looks too light, I'll go eat some noodles. :mrgreen:

I do want to get back to the gym as well. I need to work on arm and shoulder strength since I have a neck problem that's weakening things. Hard to get motivated, though. The question "what will I do today?" never seems to get answered with "yes! go to the gym and suffer! yay!"
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:57 am UTC

poxic wrote:
Trina wrote:Hard to get motivated, though. The question "what will I do today?" never seems to get answered with "yes! go to the gym and suffer! yay!"

That's why you need to plan gym time at least a day in advance. It is much easier to sign your future self up for suffering rather then decide to go right now. But of course you've got to be realistic and then actually stick to it. Best way is to have a workout partner and then your committed to meet them, so you have to go. (for best results you cannot live with your workout partner otherwise you can both agree to poop out.)
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:34 pm UTC

shinybaby wrote: are you talking about someone else's body from shoulders to knees? because i'm pretty sure i've seen pics of you that include at least part of that landscape and no part of you that i've seen is either particularly fat, or even the slightest bit ugly!!

sophyturtle wrote: Hunney and I second! Having seen you in person many times you are one of my fav. female body types. In that yous is hot. Andrew agrees.

GhostWolfe wrote:Shhh, we don't listen to Sarah talking like that because she is so very beautiful.

/angell

Thanks guys. It's girlweek, and I have been doing a little shopping to find something to wear to a wedding. Clothes fancy enough to wear to a wedding just don't suit me, and I'm bloated and cranky and away from home. The combination has done a number on my self-esteem lately.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:45 pm UTC

http://www.nationalpartnership.org/site ... fullreport
You know, my new habit of posting news in the woman thread cause it is lady news.
(On the Wayne State thing, I wrote their PR department at c.yurkovich@wayne.edu to thank them for standing against a group wanting to use school funding for propaganda that can be harmful to women)

almost on topic:
I should walk more, walking from home to work is actually doable. In the morning I am late, so I get here as soon as possible but if it is not horrid out today maybe I will walk home just to see how long it is...
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

Guys, might I reach for your advice?

I have an old school friend who's just gotten engaged, and, like a disproportionate number of my friends, is in the no-sex-before-marriage camp, which for some reason goes hand-in-hand with being completely ignorant about any sexytiems things. I know she's not overly comfortable talking about stuff, though I am clearly going to make her. Are there any particularly good websites on birth control that I might be able to point her toward that she won't be scared by, or any other informative literature I should point her towards? I'm no expert on a lot of things, so as much as I want to help her, I feel like I should be better informed myself, too.

Also, Sophy, that link made me smile!

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

You are a good friend, e_e.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

Well, okay, I don't know what level of knowledge your friend is at. A lot of the sites and literature out there are directed towards children (It's Not the Stork) or teenagers, such as the popular book It's Perfectly Normal, which I cannot recommend enough and might be what she wants. It takes a very positive attitude towards bodies and sex and learning about yourself; it includes information on masturbation and homosexual behavior and would help your friend get more comfortable with her body. The adult book that's classic awesome is Our Bodies, Ourselves. They also have a website which appears to be a combination of really good information and "in order to find out about this topic, buy our book!" If you go for a teen site, look out, because a lot of them use subtle scare tactics to sell abstinence. Sex Etc is a welcome break from that; they have a FAQ on birth control and I'm so excited, look at this:
Here are the effective rates in percentages (both "perfect use" and "typical use"):

Abstinence
Perfect Use: 100%
Typical Use: 75%

Birth Control Pill ("the Pill")
Perfect Use: 99.%
Typical Use: 92%

Squee! How awesome is this?

But more on birth control, directed towards adults:
Womenshealth has generally good information on a wide range of topics. I found a page on birth control myths which seem rather basic (you can't get pregnant the first time) but the failure of sex education systems is quite astounding, so it might be helpful. That page contains links to pages such as How to Use a Male Condom and The PIll: Just the Facts both of which contain enough links at the bottom to make me think they have a pretty good coverage, although unfortunately it doesn't look like there are any pictures. The main disadvantage of that site is that it might scare her away; it looks like it places a lot of emphasis on the possible failures of birth control. But I didn't look at all the links, so maybe it's okay overall.

Better for condom use is the American Social Health Association which actually has an animation. How awesome is that? Be sure to click on the little forward arrows.

The Association of Reproductive Health Professionals has an interactive questionnaire/quiz on determining which birth control method is right for you. It has a category for zip code, but don't worry, I took the quiz without entering it in and it was fine, so you don't have to be in the US. It looks good, although I can't be certain because my answers to the questions were sort of random given that I have not been sexually active and am not looking to be just now. Parts of the ARHP site would be good for you given that you're looking for advanced information; they have a neat page with tabs like Featured Research and Headlines.

Meanwhile Planned Parenthood is, as always, a godsend. Here is its page on Emergency Contraceptives. I chose Planned Parenthood for this because it is consistently the most nonjudgemental, non-scary, "this is normal and okay" site, and scare tactics abound for EC. In fact, I recommend Planned Parenthood's sites on birth control almost without reserve. Still no pictures (where are the pictures?) and if your friend hangs with the abstinence only crowd she may have a demonized view of it. You said you wanted to educate yourself too, though, so, like, go there.

ETA: on closer inspection Planned Parenthood also has a video on how to use condoms and some pictures if you go to the Teen section, which is just further proof of how awesome they are.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

You're a star, Quixotess, thankyou.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

The abstinence stats are LOLtastic. Also a bit depressing. :|

In more frivolous news. I need to pick an outfit....

Also, the red and blue shoes make me 6'5". Not bad in itself but fookin' hell that's tall :o

Please excuse stupid face/hair in some of these pics :oops: ....
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

oh and I need to put some darts in the blue dress because it falls down a bit :|
Last edited by crowey on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

Red. They both look great, of course, but if you're trying to make an impression, that red dress will be quite memorable. And I vote for red shoes.

(Though what do I know. I'm a guy who is not extremely fashion-versed.)

In other news, you are quite striking.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

No can see pictures. Maybe tonight I'll give you my choice.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

Red (I prefer the sleeves), with whichever shoes lend you more support. After your date, swear off heels and invest in flats. The belt is amazing. You're gonna kick ass.

@e_e: I wouldn't consider myself a good feminist if I couldn't show women where to find resources about their health and sexuality. No problem. Would you tell me what you end up using and why, please?

Gah, edited a typo into my post and now it looks like I've probably changed the entirety of the content. Curses.
Last edited by Quixotess on Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:36 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

crowey

Postby crowey » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:In other news, you are quite striking.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Jessica wrote:No can see pictures. Maybe tonight I'll give you my choice.

damn, they work for me, I don't know why they aren't working :|

Quixotess wrote:Red (I prefer the sleeves), with whichever shoes lend you more support. After your date, swear off heels and invest in flats. The belt is amazing. You're gonna kick ass.

Heh, I usually live in flats but some things just need heels :wink: Mind you, I will have some ballet pumps in my bag for when I'm too drunk to balance :lol:

I think I will wear the red, but I'm still torn on which shoes....

shinybaby
In-Tents

Postby shinybaby » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

another vote for the red dress!! :D as to shoes, they're all cute, but i'm a fan of the adorable black and beige pumps!! sexy! ;)

if he has any eyes/brains in his head, he'll be wanting you!! :D
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:46 pm UTC

It's ok. The site is just blocked at work.

crowey

Postby crowey » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:53 pm UTC

aaah, as long as it's not broken...

edit: spies everywhere....
Last edited by crowey on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

shinybaby
In-Tents

Postby shinybaby » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:06 am UTC

crowey wrote:aaah, as long as it's not broken...

quote edited for black ops purposes... ;)

edited out! :D
Last edited by shinybaby on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:58 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

crowey

Postby crowey » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:09 am UTC

edit: spies everywhere
Last edited by crowey on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:33 am UTC

Red with the red, without a shadow of a doubt. The halterneck style is incredibly flattering and you don't have to worry about spending the night fixing yourself which you're likely to do with strapless (at least if you're anything like me). The black and beige shoes are adorable but they don't go with the dress, they're too heavy and would be better suited for black I think. Also, scarlet red lips please!

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:46 am UTC

*sigh* Yeah, it had better be the red. Angelene is right, the other ones just don't go. Be kind to your feet!

Yeah, the blue dress makes things very horizontal. I just noticed the hem and how it's different from the red dress. That combined with the flat top...line...hem...thing creates two horizontal lines that basically cut you into thirds. And the belt too, which actually makes it quarters. Of course, that's not such a bad thing for you given your height, but it still makes it less flattering than the red. Which is kind of "ooh, bosoms!" the way it's cut.

crowey

Postby crowey » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:50 am UTC

Definitely red lipstick (secretly I bought the dress so I'd have an excuse to wear the lipstick I bought the week before :oops: Being shallow is fun! :wink:)
more camwhoring:
Spoiler:

I see what you mean about the blue dress, it's a bit more casual anyway, more mooching about on the beach style I think.... Plus, I bloody love the red one, I can't not be happy in it.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:50 am UTC

Like Angelene said. Red with red. You look like a totally sexy warrior princess! Go forth and wow them all. On your own damn terms. :D

Edit: red with red with frickin' RED! Love that lipstick on you. Do it! 8)
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:03 am UTC

Oh, definitely, the blue dress would be perfect for that.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:34 am UTC

crowey is gooorgeous! I also put in my vote for the red dress.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:40 am UTC

I vote red dress black and white shoes.
But I dislike wedge shoes.

hestia

Postby hestia » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:23 am UTC

I also love the black and white shoes, I think that wing tipped stuff is cool.

So on a totally unrelated note, I need some advice on birth control stuff. I have not used the pill or any other hormonal birth control ever mostly out of laziness. I recently started looking into it because my PMS symptoms are getting really bad and my husband doesn't like dealing with me then. Frankly, I don't like dealing with myself then either, I become a queen bitch. :oops:

But here is my issue, during my research I found this from a Columbia University website which confirmed what I heard from a not quite so reliable source originally about progestin:
alter the uterine lining so (in the event that an egg is released and fertilized) the egg will likely not be able to implant into the uterine wall. (A fertilized egg would then be discharged with the rest of the menstrual blood.)

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/0663.html
I have a very big issue with the possibility that a zygote could be discharged during Shark Week because of something I did. I know that this happens pretty frequently as early miscarriages that one just doesn't know about but I see a key difference in it just happening naturally and it happening because I did something to my body.
I guess my issue is just trying to decide if I went on birth control and used condoms or something, if that would settle my moral issues with the whole thing. If there was birth control that didn't mess with the uterine lining and made my periods suck less, that would be tops but I don't know if thats possible! Does anyone know of any sort of solution or do I just have to deal with being grumpy once a month?
NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:04 am UTC

*jaw hits floor*
r... r... red. yeah.
go with red...
*melts*

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:57 am UTC

sophyturtle wrote:I vote red dress black and white shoes.
But I dislike wedge shoes.

But they're black and beige, so they clash the slightest bit with the white in the dress. Go with the red shoes. Or maybe the blue! The blue ones may be cute with the red dress.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

Return to “General”