[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

hermaj

Re: Woman thread - NO HOMERS CLUB

Postby hermaj » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:31 am UTC

Jessica wrote:Wait staff in Canada get payed minimum wage.
Minimum wage is technically enough to live on, if you're getting fulltime hours. Most Wait staff that I know is part time. In fact, most people payed close to minimum wage is part time.

Yes, you can live on minimum wage. Technically.
Tips are generally expected though. It's part of the culture. It turns someone who works a minimum wage crap job to someone who can afford to leave her appartment from time to time.

I just want to clarify that I wasn't saying that our wait staff/hairdressers/jobs associated with tips even get minimum wage, I don't know how much they're paid and I'm sure it varies greatly depending on the establishment. That said, standard minimum wage here will be (they've passed laws to increase it that come into effect in October) $14.31/h, and we also have really good social security and government handout schemes in place for people that earn less than a certain amount. So I guess that's also part of the reason why it's not big here, they're already well looked after.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:07 am UTC

I'm still bleeding, and it's been about 20 hours. Mostly dark brown now, but there was the strangest thing when I woke up- stumbling to the bathroom in pyjamas sans my usual underwear (crazy mother, don't ask), I felt something wet touch my thigh. Reaching the bathroom, I took a look, and there was a thick strand - thicker than my index finger - of the fluidy stuff hanging down almost to my knee. Mostly whitish, with red and orange mixed in. I'm hoping it's as Sophy said- just washing out the previous stuff, but there's just too much blood. I can't get to a doctor til Monday afternoon, so I'll ask him about it then, but I'm not sure whether to start worrying or not.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:39 am UTC

Thick strand? Sounds like menstrual blood to me. Any chance you're starting girlweek (late, early, or just plain freaky)?
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:53 am UTC

I'd probably agree with poxic there too.

Could you possibly give your doctor a phonecall at all? The thing is with blood being mixed with other fluids is that what seems like a lot may not be all that much. So I wouldn't panic too much and if you are going to your doctor on Monday, then I'd bring it up there if you are still worried about it. But to me it sounds like girlweek leftovers perhaps.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:08 am UTC

I should start from the beginning- during the last school holidays, I lost track of the days, and as such took my first active pill 4 days early. During my last girlweek, I had to see the doctor for unrelated reasons, and just asked about this in passing, as I’d continued that cycle as if I’d began it on the correct day. This is the period I was freaking out about earlier because it was late- it came a week ago. He told me that I should take the next active one when I started bleeding, and I did, but continued spotting – only very slightly – until yesterday. Then the sex and subsequent blood/fluid/gloop.

I’ll ask the doctor on Monday. I was mostly just seeking some reassurance.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

WOMEN!

I have come to you in a time of great need.

It's about hair.

I've got long hair, and I treat it well. I wash it almost once a day (I skip some days, especially if I've been up all night), I brush it and I generally enjoy it.

But lately my scalp just won't stop ITCHING. I've not got the lice. I checked. But I'm fairly sure I've got a case of dandruff. -.-

So I ask of you, oh sexy women of the fora, what the hell can I do to stop my head itching?

Oh, I use conditioner too. I use Tresemme shampoo and conditioner. I'm allowed to have good hair stuffs. I have good hairs.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

kriel

Postby kriel » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:WOMEN!

I have come to you in a time of great need.

It's about hair.

I've got long hair, and I treat it well. I wash it almost once a day (I skip some days, especially if I've been up all night), I brush it and I generally enjoy it.

... That's... kind of creepy. I was about to make the exact same start-post.

(PS: I'd suggest using anti-dandruff shampoo/conditioner. See how that helps.)

... But anyway. More Hair-questions.

I have seen women's hair. They have this nice, smooth, perfectly straight hair. No frizz, no flyaways. No random curlies. They somehow manage to keep it this way through an entire day.

I have seen guys achieve similar effects.

However, their methods are a mystery to me. My hair, after ~half an hour, starts frizzing, fluffing out, and generally looking like sh*t.

My usual hair-routine:
Shower. Shampoo. Conditioner.
Get out, lightly towel-dry
Alternate between hairbrush and hairdryer until it is just barely damp (Leave some moisture in there so I don't cook my hair)
Go do other morning stuffs. (Eat. Find clothes. Check email.)
Re-Brush hair.
If I'm going to work/school, ponytail it.

... But it still frizzes out after, it seems, no time at all.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

There are two ways I can avoid frizz:

1) Pure luck
2) Straightening my hair

A little bit of conditioner on dry hair can put down a lot of flyaways, though.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

Dandruff/itching: Try a shampoo with tea tree oil. Make sure it's something that actually contains noticeable amounts of the stuff. Go to a store (probably one with a decent selection of more natural products) and start sniffing them. Tea tree oil has a *very* distinct fragrance, so if you don't smell that then the shampoo doesn't have enough. If you don't know what tea tree oil smells like find your local health food store and find some in the essential oils section and take a whiff.

Frizz: I avoid it by having naturally sleek, straight hair. Granted, I don't have any body or sexy waves, but I don't really have any frizz either. I know that girls with wavier hair have to work at it. I think brushing is the kiss of death for people who don't want their hair to explode into a puff ball. Try detangling it with a comb once while it's still wet, and then not touching it again. Gel is also recommended but hair products like that are a big mystery to me.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

I just had a test over this stuff and got a 96. WOOHOO! When you shower, use an anti-dandruff shampoo. Make sure to leave it on your hair longer than you would normal shampoo. Rinse it out and wash it AGAIN. You can also go for professional dandruff (Tres is profession and good products, but as far as I know they do NOT have one specifically for dandruff) shampoo that will probably smell better and leave your hair in better condition than the tore stuff. After you wash it twice, use a rinse through conditioner. If you can do it yourself, massage your scalp using firm pressure. I do suggest going to a salon though, because a stylist who knows what they're doing will knead your scalp, which knocks dried sebum...

Ok. Dandruff is caused by a deficiency of natural oils or sebum. These oils keep your scalp happy and protected and make your hair shiny. The lack, if its only just happened recently, could be because you're using a shampoo that has too high a pH. Tres is probably ok, but use their moisturising line if you aren't. You could also have a build up of dried sebum in your pores, or underactive sebaceous glands. Going to a salon for scalp treatments that include scalp manipulation and kneading in conjunction with medicated shampoo will probably at least minimize dandruff if not get rid of it altogether.

If it persists or gets worse, see your doc for a stronger anti-dandruff shampoo. If you go to a stylist and they have no idea about this stuff, I wouldn't go there again.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

Kind of interrupting all the hair stuff, but I have spots on my boobs. I'm having a mild freak out about them and my sister didn't want to hear. (In fact she put a pillow over her head and told me I was really gross and embarrassing :D)

Technically I know there's nothing to worry about and there are worse marks on my body. (Like my SI scars...) But they're still not nice :(
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

Saltwater and sunlight are good for clearing up spots. So go topless swimming in the sea, worked for me :D
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:15 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:Saltwater and sunlight are good for clearing up spots. So go topless swimming in the sea, worked for me :D

If only I could do that round here without getting frostbitten boobs :lol:

The sea in scotland is cold :lol:
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Haha yes, the UK is not the place to do this, even down south! Thus why every year, before prime bikini season I head off to a hot country (europe is the most understanding to topless sunbathing) to clear up my skin, then head on home and can happily wear strap tops. Actually I wish I could do this, it worked this year but I can't afford every year!
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

Oh, I didn't see the smooth hair post. A lot of people are really lucky to have naturally bad ass straight hair, some are not so much. HOWEVER you can take steps to make it so. they key to any hair style is patience and products. Blow drying your hair to proper dryness won't cook your hair if you keep it moving and don't just point the dryer at the same spot for too long. If you're very concerned, use a spray on thermal protectant. Because of the way hair is structured, blow drying it improperly can cause frizzines and flyaways. The outer most layer of your hair is made of tiiiiny overlapping scales and if you just blow those whichever way, it makes your hair go nuts. When you blow dry, try to keep the airflow aimed down the hair shaft, away form your scalp. brushing the direction as well will help lay those scales down and make your hair appear smoothers and shinier. You can also spray on a thermal protectant and flat iron your hair to straight then use a high-shine finishing gloss, wax, cream or spray to keep it laying down and make it supershine. I haven't learned what ALL the products do yet, but my advice form earlier stands: go to a salon and ask. They should be able to give you something that will help.

However, some hair is just ornery and won't stay for shit.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:35 am UTC

NB: Alpha Omicron is in the same position as sleepygamer

My solution: Wash hair with dandruff shampoo (the zinc shit) everyday, or else mind-bendingly itchy scalp. (Like wake up bleeding from thrashing head against sharp corner of bed's headboard itchy.)
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:06 pm UTC

I also have fluffy hair..in fact, I'm pretty sure it's an entity of it's own, because it can change the way it behaves from one wash to the next :S My solution is to occaisionally tame it by cutting/layering, and hope for the best :P

Anyhoodles, slight de-railment of thread. Hope nobody minds. So, I have PCOS, does anybody else on here have it? I haven't been diagnosed with it long, and have just been put on the mini pill-Cerazette (I reacted badly to the normal pill). Which means I haven't had a period in months-go me(!). I was just wondering if you lovely people could advise on the best diet changes to make (am going to ask doctor, but have recently moved from uni->home->placement so haven't had chance to register with new doctor so I can ask for advice)

Cheers me dears :)
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

There are quite a few of us with PCOS, so you're not alone.

I would suggest heading to your nearest bookstore or library and looking up some books on insulin resistance and low GI (Glycemic Index) eating. I was advised by both my doc and a nutrionist to eat low GI foods as a PCOS sufferer.

Here's my idiot's understanding of the issue:
Insulin is a hormone, and the PCOS totally screws with your hormonal balance. So as a result your body doesn't properly respond to insulin which can even develop into diabetes in some cases. Low GI foods release the energy from the food slowly because they're usually more complex to digest like wholegrains, or proteiens etc that don't contain a lot of energy. Therefor the amount of glucose and accompanying insulin your cells need to interact with is stretched out over time and they respond to it better, than with something that releases a lot of glucose in your blood quickly (which means as a benefit also feeling fuller longer and better utilization of the energy from your food).
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:13 pm UTC

Moo wrote:There are quite a few of us with PCOS, so you're not alone.

I would suggest heading to your nearest bookstore or library and looking up some books on insulin resistance and low GI (Glycemic Index) eating. I was advised by both my doc and a nutrionist to eat low GI foods as a PCOS sufferer.

Here's my idiot's understanding of the issue:
Insulin is a hormone, and the PCOS totally screws with your hormonal balance. So as a result your body doesn't properly respond to insulin which can even develop into diabetes in some cases. Low GI foods release the energy from the food slowly because they're usually more complex to digest like wholegrains, or proteiens etc that don't contain a lot of energy. Therefor the amount of glucose and accompanying insulin your cells need to interact with is stretched out over time and they respond to it better, than with something that releases a lot of glucose in your blood quickly (which means as a benefit also feeling fuller longer and better utilization of the energy from your food).

Thanks for the advice :) My doctor just told me to loose some weight-will definitely go join the library and get reading, and then hopefully eating a bit better.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:35 pm UTC

You might also hop down to the fit club subforum. I haven't been down there in a while but last I checked there were some great threads on various methods of weight-loss and getting in shape. I mean, thats what its for an all. =] Heck, there might even be diet thread by now... I'll have to check that out later. Anyway, heed the disclaimer though; we're not docs or nutritionists and yours should have the final word on whatever path you take.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:28 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:It's from the vagina, and still hasn't stopped. Actually, the first two centimetres of the way in feels really sore and tender, just as if it's been subjected to too much friction. I've had problems with insufficient lubrication before, but it's never bled.

I echo the comment that it might be some leftover blood that has come loose, and encourage the use of lubrication. [edit] after reading your last post: yes, probably menstrual blood. Blood from a wound or friction is bright red. Menstrual blood is thick and brown, especially a break-through late bleeding. Never hurts to consult a doc tho.[/edit]

A condom decreases the friction because it usually has a fair amount of lube on it. It's not weird to use some additional stuff when you don't make enough yourself.

Personally, blood from my vayaya after sex has never severely worried me (but then again - I have a long history of painful sex) since I assumed it was because of too much friction, and things down there heal up pretty quickly anyway.
I bled for FOUR days after I lost my V-card. I probably didn't dare going to the doctor, but looking back, I guess I presumed something in there just got a little bruised and would heal up fine after that (and it did).

Mandatory disclaimer: "Don't do this at home". For christ's sake, do not continue when it hurts and you're bleeding.
This too shall pass

kriel

Postby kriel » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:50 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:Oh, I didn't see the smooth hair post. A lot of people are really lucky to have naturally bad ass straight hair, some are not so much. HOWEVER you can take steps to make it so. they key to any hair style is patience and products. Blow drying your hair to proper dryness won't cook your hair if you keep it moving and don't just point the dryer at the same spot for too long. If you're very concerned, use a spray on thermal protectant. Because of the way hair is structured, blow drying it improperly can cause frizzines and flyaways. The outer most layer of your hair is made of tiiiiny overlapping scales and if you just blow those whichever way, it makes your hair go nuts. When you blow dry, try to keep the airflow aimed down the hair shaft, away form your scalp. brushing the direction as well will help lay those scales down and make your hair appear smoothers and shinier. You can also spray on a thermal protectant and flat iron your hair to straight then use a high-shine finishing gloss, wax, cream or spray to keep it laying down and make it supershine. I haven't learned what ALL the products do yet, but my advice form earlier stands: go to a salon and ask. They should be able to give you something that will help.

However, some hair is just ornery and won't stay for shit.

Woo. Yeah, I usually blow-dryed from the bottom up, because, well, that's where all the water was. The top would dry fine and the bottom was still wet... This helped immensely. It's not perfect yet, but it helped a lot.

I glanced at my hair straightener, and decided not to use it today (had somewhere to run) but I think I may try that once I get a few spare minutes to play with my hair.

q: Is there something I can put in my hair that dosen't _feel_ like gunk to make it cooperate better? My last experience with spray (long time ago) felt like somebody had gotten glue in my hair, and it bugged me all day. I'm just not sure what specific brand of goop I might want. (Light hold hairspray, gel, mousse, and crisco all come to mind, but I have no idea what does/ is for what.)

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:56 am UTC

I have a Tresemme heat styling spray that feels wonderful. It says to use it on dry hair before straightening but I spray it on my barely-damp hair before finishing off drying and then straightening it. It works very well and doesn't make my hair feel like straw - I recommend it very highly.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:55 am UTC

I'm rather fond of my Schwarzkopf extra care liquid silk spray. It keeps the frizziness down, makes my hair super-soft, and doesn't look greasy. I have really superfine hair, so everything I've tried just makes it look like I haven't shampoo'd in a week. This is the best one I've tried.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:15 am UTC

Damn the internet and its sneaky anywhereness! I went to look for the Schwarzkopf thing you mentioned, and found it's only down under. Argh...

/edit: anyone else find a magic cure for fine-hair frizzies? That's available in N.America/Canada?
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

I'll dig through our product line at school and test some things out as soon as I get the chance. I'll also just ask and see what our instructors have to say. They're don't all use exclusively Redkin, even though thats the only thing we use in school.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:24 pm UTC

Lady News!
http://www.nationalpartnership.org/site ... fullreport

Sorry I am no help on hair, I have no idea how to make it do things.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Sebeka2

Postby Sebeka2 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:Thanks for the advice :) My doctor just told me to loose some weight-will definitely go join the library and get reading, and then hopefully eating a bit better.

Comments like those of your doctor drive me wild. Telling you to lose weight without saying how you're supposed to do that or even if insulin levels or insulin resistance is affecting your weight gain in the first place is as helpful as saying you should try to not have so many cysts or to treat infertility by getting pregnant -- you're basically being told to treat your symptoms by not having symptoms in the first place. Ugh. Although many women do see improvements when they lose weight (esp. if they do so by controling/treating insulin resistance), there are many skinny women out there with PCOS, as well as overweight/obese women whose symptoms are under control despite their weight.

When I was first diagnosed, I found the community forums at websites like http://www.soulcysters.com and http://www.pcosupport.org to be helpful. My own symptoms respond crazy-well on a very low carb diet (under 25 carbs a day) paired sometimes with metformin, but I know women for whom diets do nothing but birth control pills are a miracle drug. "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes is a massive book and says next to zip about PCOS, but I learned an awful lot about sugar, carbs, and insulin from it.
Willpower lasts about two weeks and is soluble in alcohol. ~ Mark Twain(?)

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

Confession. The pun in this name made me lol a little bit.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:29 am UTC

sophyturtle wrote:Lady News!
http://www.nationalpartnership.org/site ... fullreport

Sorry I am no help on hair, I have no idea how to make it do things.

"Given that at least 17.5 million women in America are in need of publicly funded contraceptive services ... we believe the department should be working to increase access to these crucial health care services, rather than working to limit them"

Emergency contraceptives and regular ol' birth control are NOT crucial healthcare services. They are a luxury. No, really really they are. They aren't, as far as I know, going to save anyone's life... Just make it easier to have a more fun life without it being interrupted by the consequences of irresponsibility.

That being said, I really hope they don't get this passed because I LIKE having this luxury available to me. Then again, I pay for my own. Publicly funded... feh.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:40 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:Emergency contraceptives and regular ol' birth control are NOT crucial healthcare services. They are a luxury. No, really really they are. They aren't, as far as I know, going to save anyone's life... Just make it easier to have a more fun life without it being interrupted by the consequences of irresponsibility.

That being said, I really hope they don't get this passed because I LIKE having this luxury available to me. Then again, I pay for my own. Publicly funded... feh.

For some of us, they are crucial healthcare services. Getting pregnant now (while nowhere near likely) would probably finish my kidneys for all time. I'd be on dialysis before the birth, and on a waiting list for transplant shortly after. My mother would have also been much, much worse off had she had a third child (which is why they adopted me).

So this leads to the basic conundrum of my life: had contraceptives and/or abortion been easy to obtain way back when, I wouldn't be here advocating easy access to same. Heh. (Yes, it kinda hurts my brain.) :|

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:56 am UTC

poxic wrote:For some of us, they are crucial healthcare services. Getting pregnant now (while nowhere near likely) would probably finish my kidneys for all time. I'd be on dialysis before the birth, and on a waiting list for transplant shortly after.
Yeah, but it's not crucial that you have penetrative intercourse. There's plenty of ways to have your fun, hence: luxury.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:06 am UTC

You, ah, don't even have to have ever seen a penis in your life to become pregnant by accident (or by guile). Admittedly, the odds are astronomical, but not impossible.

Which is to say: There is no 100% effective birth control. Not even abstinence. Ergo, for someone like poxic it can be classed as a necessity, if an unlikely one. And, of course, there are less than ideal circumstances.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:06 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:Emergency contraceptives and regular ol' birth control are NOT crucial healthcare services. They are a luxury
I'd say EC is crucial healthcare in situations like rape.

And BC maybe not be crucial from a health standpoint, but it is the primary factor in women's equality today. Without it, we'd still be stuck rearing families from the kitchen. I'd say that the primary tool allowing women to have proper careers is more essential than luxurious.
GhostWolfe wrote:Yeah, but it's not crucial that you have penetrative intercourse. There's plenty of ways to have your fun, hence: luxury.
Still, men get the luxury of penetrative intercourse without the repercussions. I'd say BC is more in the realm of leveling the playing field.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:45 am UTC

liza wrote:
parkaboy wrote:Emergency contraceptives and regular ol' birth control are NOT crucial healthcare services. They are a luxury
I'd say EC is crucial healthcare in situations like rape.
I agree that emergency contraceptives are a crucial service, but not your run of the mill birth control. The key to my argument is the word "crucial". I don't think it's all that crucial to be having sex. Yes, that men get to have all the fun without the drawbacks we have is not "fair", but no one's kidneys are about to fail because they didn't get laid.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:16 am UTC

I see BC as essential for a few reasons.
1) Some women use them fro hormonal regulation, without which they would be in too much physical pain to function normally for at least some portion of their month (making holding down a job harder and supporting themselves and their families near impossible).
2) Access to EC is much more difficult to get than BC. It also assumes that after, say, being raped, you are not trapped by fear and can get yourself down to the hospital, that the hospital will believe you and that you are lucky enough to be in a hospital that supplies it (unlike the ones that just give you a script for the pharmacy, where one would basically be proclaiming they had been raped in filling this script, if we are saying EC is only acceptable in rape situations).
For the many many women in partner rape situations, BC is essential. It makes it easier to get out of a crap relationship when you do not have forced offspring with the person.
Leading me to reason 3
3) A females biology should not continue to be used to suppress females. Without birth control, women like me who do not want to ever want to reproduce (or like my friend who medically cannot get pregnant without serious physical consequences) from ever having sex. While there are some people, say nuns, who can find fulfillment in their lives while remaining celibate, the idea that because I bear the brunt of the consequences from sex I should not be able to fully express or explore my own sexuality is insulting. I consider my IUD to be essential, because it helps me retain my physical autonomy. Most women in marriage would be trapped by their uterus to live in the home popping out children, since married couples also use birth control and you tell the average American (or any) man that even after he gets married he will have very limited access to penetrative sex.

Those are my main reasons for thinking BC is essential. You may be able to argue one but there are two that I see as fairly unshakable.
When you factor in that Viagra is considered 'essential' as it treats ED (showing that letting old men have healthy sex lives is seen as an important quality of life matter that even insurance companies will cover) the idea that BC would not be considered essential is insulting.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:52 am UTC

sophyturtle wrote:When you factor in that Viagra is considered 'essential' as it treats ED (showing that letting old men have healthy sex lives is seen as an important quality of life matter that even insurance companies will cover) the idea that BC would not be considered essential is insulting.

I think it's important to consider the definition of essential, in terms of medicine.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/essential wrote:es·sen·tial /əˈsɛnʃəl/ –adjective
1. absolutely necessary; indispensable: Discipline is essential in an army.

People are running with the essential = necessary definition, but I think in medical terms essential leans more to the indispensible side of things; it implies that a solution to the problem is only achievable through treatment. Erectile dysfunction is only treatable by medication*; pregnancy is not only prevented by medication. Therefore an erectile treatment is essential, birth control is not. Interestingly enough, the third definition from that site - "noting or containing an essence of a plant, drug, etc." - is also relevant when describing medicine in terms of essentialness.

* As far as I'm aware; I was reluctant to type erectile dysfunction into Google. :P

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:17 am UTC

While BC might not be the only way to prevent pregnancy, it is the most common.
And I would argue it is crucial for underprivileged women to have access to BC if they ever hope to improve their situation. Otherwise instead of being able to worry about improving their access to education, for example, they will be trapped into caring for offspring that can easily and safely be avoided.

Also, health care and medication are not just for saving life but for quality of life. Viagra is an example of such quality of life medication. So is BC.

There are courts that have decided people should cut back on the amount of toothpaste used rather than have to go without cable TV (my mother is a social worker, and when someone refused to pay for her services this was the suggestion). We are beyond simply surviving here. Even in places where survival is still the main goal, BC in the form of condoms at least are government supplied. In America you can also get condoms for free in many places. Why is the idea that a more reliable form of BC that empowers women by allowing them to literally take it into their own hands not seen as important?

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:30 am UTC

Uhm, I'm probably not the best person to say this, and I really wish the better person was available right now. . .

But, Sophyturtle, you've hit the feminist nail on the head. That is to say, it's pretty much entirely sexism that Hormonal BC is in question, when condoms and Viagra are not. As you said, the one that women are in control of, is the one that might be taken away.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:40 am UTC

I'm sorry Sophy, I think that maybe you're misunderstanding our intentions here? I should have been clearer in my first post.

I'm not arguing that access to birth control should be limited, restricted, or prohibited in anyway. In fact, I strongly believe that some forms of birth control should be *easier* to get. I'm not trying to trivialise your experiences or the great benefits to society that birth control has.

All I was saying is that on a heirarchy of needs, being deprived of air, food, water... you will die; but being deprived of sex: your existance might be unhappy, it might be unsatisfying, it might be downright miserable, but is is an existence. I'm afraid I agree with Parka that "crucial" is not the right word to apply to birth control.

Please understand that we aren't objecting to the use or free availability of birth control.

Again, Sophy, I'm sorry.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist

Return to “General”