[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Re: Woman thread - NO HOMERS CLUB

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

My doctor said not to get things with salicylic acid, because that will dry out your skin without actually killing your zits, so then you'll have dry skin AND zits. Instead get a product where the active ingredient is benzoyl peroxide.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

from wiki on the UK vaccination program:
When the HPV vaccination programme begins in 2008, women over the age of 18 will not be vaccinated as it would not be cost effective in preventing cervical cancer. This is because as soon as a woman becomes sexually active, she is at risk of infection with the virus.

So mostly it's cost of vaccination Vs liklihood you've already been exposed to one of the many HPVs. :|

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:My doctor said not to get things with salicylic acid, because that will dry out your skin without actually killing your zits, so then you'll have dry skin AND zits. Instead get a product where the active ingredient is benzoyl peroxide.

*writes this down* Will do.

crowey wrote:from wiki on the UK vaccination program:
When the HPV vaccination programme begins in 2008, women over the age of 18 will not be vaccinated as it would not be cost effective in preventing cervical cancer. This is because as soon as a woman becomes sexually active, she is at risk of infection with the virus.

So mostly it's cost of vaccination Vs liklihood you've already been exposed to one of the many HPVs. :|

Hm...but you could get it if you were willing to pay for it? It doesn't sound as though you're totally ruined just by one time.

...Holy shit, just found this on Feministe:
The federal government is considering making Gardasil vaccination, made by Merk pharmaceuticals, mandatory for female immigrants applying for citizenship. These shots, which vaccinate against certain types of HPV related to potential development of cervical cancer, are not mandatory for U.S. citizens

This? Not okay. I recommend the whole article.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

HPV vaccine only works against strains that you haven't already been exposed to. Since it's a very common STD, chances are that if you're sexually active you've been exposed to at least one strain of it. This doesn't mean that you can't get vaccinated if you aren't a virgin however. I'm glad to see it's still being backed up in studies. I need to go and schedule my third dose. (I've also heard that the last shot hurts a lot :()

I don't know how long my hair is in inches, but it's long enough that I can sit on the bottom of it. Sometimes I braid it at night and sometimes I don't. I can't sleep with a bun since it's too lumpy and a ponytail really does nothing for me since my hair is so very long. I like my hair better down- it's more comfortable and more flattering, but for work I generally take a shower when I wake up and go off to work with dripping wet hair shoved into a bun. I'm too lazy in the mornings to do anything else with it it actually does get in the way a bit if I'm trying to get things done. I don't like to use blowdryers, and they can be pretty damaging, so if I do want my hair to look good I need to wash it when I have an hour and a half to let it dry on its own. Luckily my hair is quite straight so it doesn't do anything worse than get an occasional weird wrinkle or two in the length.

I did get a bit irritated at one of the secretaries because I walked by her with my hair down one time and she made a huge deal about it being down. Yes, it was a nice compliment and I agree that it does look better down, but spending 5 minutes insisting that I should always keep it like that and that I *always* wear my hair up is annoying after I nicely explained why I usually (but certainly not all the time) do.

Ugh, my hair is positively disgusting right now. My power is out and I couldn't face the thought of a cold, dark shower this morning so I did without. No one knows when it's coming back, either. I've heard rumors ranging from Wednesday to two weeks. And of course I just stocked up on perishable food the day before this happened.

Edit-
Skin stuff: If you get benzoyl peroxide, test just a tiny patch first. My skin hates it to the point where my face gets red and itchy for about 40 hours. I would recommend a fairly gentle cleanser, an oil free moisturizer, and NO TOUCHING YOUR FACE on top of the benzoyl peroxide.A lot of acne stuff just pissesyour face off more.
Last edited by Flying Betty on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

crowey

Postby crowey » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:Hm...but you could get it if you were willing to pay for it? It doesn't sound as though you're totally ruined just by one time.

yeah, I think I'd still get it, some chance of protection is better than no chance, right? It's not like I'm going to suddenly stop using condoms so my risk of exposure would be the same....

now, where to find £500 :|

...Holy shit, just found this on Feministe:
The federal government is considering making Gardasil vaccination, made by Merk pharmaceuticals, mandatory for female immigrants applying for citizenship. These shots, which vaccinate against certain types of HPV related to potential development of cervical cancer, are not mandatory for U.S. citizens

This? Not okay. I recommend the whole article.

I can't decide what I think of this.
Some of the reactions in the comments seem a tad OTT.
It is a quandry though, I assume there are mandatory vaccinations for other things for immigrants? Measles, TB etc? I don't think those are mandatory for born USAians are they?
Is this just contraversial because it's about sex? :?

edit: quote fixing.
Last edited by crowey on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:27 pm UTC

I still haven't had my HPV vaccine. I should get it soon because I don't know for how much longer it is going to be free, and if I don't get it my mother will murder me. It just makes me nervous. I don't entirely trust it. And I hate needles. But I promised myself if I got it done I could get a new piercing (my fear of needles, it seems, is selective) and I want a new piercing.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:37 pm UTC

crowey wrote:It is a quandry though, I assume there are mandatory vaccinations for other things for immigrants? Measles, TB etc? I don't think those are mandatory for born USAians are they?

No, those things are mandatory for US citizens, like you have to have certain vaccinations before kindergarten, certain vaccinations before sixth grade, etc. I know I had to provide proof of measles vaccination in order to gain admittance to college. The fact that this is not mandatory for US citizens makes all the difference. There's a post linked in that one, here's a quote from it about some benefits Merk gets for making the vaccines mandatory for immigrant women:
1. profit - women would have to pay out of pocket for these shots making a sizable profit for Merk (even if they subsidize the shots, the government/tax payers will be paying $360 or more per applicable immigrant to Merk)
2. human subjects testing without IRB - altho Gardasil has already been approved by the FDA recent complications in patients using the drug, 3500 major complaints in a single year and 8000 since the approval, as well as multiple deaths, could indicate that more testing is needed. Why pull the drug off the market when you can study the results through a mandated population?

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:I still haven't had my HPV vaccine. I should get it soon because I don't know for how much longer it is going to be free, and if I don't get it my mother will murder me. It just makes me nervous. I don't entirely trust it. And I hate needles. But I promised myself if I got it done I could get a new piercing (my fear of needles, it seems, is selective) and I want a new piercing.

I like that plan (says the girl who got a rook piercing yesterday. It's purty!) I realized once after a shot or maybe giving blood that I really don't have an issue with needles, which kind of sent me into a minor piercing phase. And you can give blood after getting pierced if you attest that it was done in sterile manner.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

Quix- I think it would depend on the type of skin you have. I remember parka saying once something along the lines of "is your skin oily, or is it oily because it's dry?"
For me, I can go a couple of days without using a cleanser (I still use water on those occasions...), but if I miss using a moisturiser once, I break out terribly.

I find that anything that's marketed as anti-pimple or whatever just irritates/burns my skin, though that may be just me. Instead, I use Angels on Bare Skin from Lush. Gorgeous stuff (take a look at their other products, if you have time).

Re: Gardasil
I got all three shots a couple of years ago, but I was already sexually active at the time . The mandatory testing for immigrants is pretty terrible, but I'm somehow not surprised.

hermaj- where's the new piercing going to go?
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

crowey

Postby crowey » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:
crowey wrote:It is a quandry though, I assume there are mandatory vaccinations for other things for immigrants? Measles, TB etc? I don't think those are mandatory for born USAians are they?

No, those things are mandatory for US citizens, like you have to have certain vaccinations before kindergarten, certain vaccinations before sixth grade, etc. I know I had to provide proof of measles vaccination in order to gain admittance to college. The fact that this is not mandatory for US citizens makes all the difference. There's a post linked in that one, here's a quote from it about some benefits Merk gets for making the vaccines mandatory for immigrant women:
1. profit - women would have to pay out of pocket for these shots making a sizable profit for Merk (even if they subsidize the shots, the government/tax payers will be paying $360 or more per applicable immigrant to Merk)
2. human subjects testing without IRB - altho Gardasil has already been approved by the FDA recent complications in patients using the drug, 3500 major complaints in a single year and 8000 since the approval, as well as multiple deaths, could indicate that more testing is needed. Why pull the drug off the market when you can study the results through a mandated population?

Ah, well that makes a big difference. (In the UK all vaccinations are optional, though the standard ones like MMR and polio etc very heavily supported. The only proofs of vaccination I've ever needed were travelling to/from exotic places).

The mandatory for some and not for others is Not OK.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:17 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:hermaj- where's the new piercing going to go?

I'm not absolutely sure yet, but I'm still considering here. I think I'm just a little bit too chicken for a tragus piercing and it'd get in the way of my headphones anyway.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:41 am UTC

hermaj wrote:
eternal luna wrote:hermaj- where's the new piercing going to go?

I'm not absolutely sure yet, but I'm still considering here. I think I'm just a little bit too chicken for a tragus piercing and it'd get in the way of my headphones anyway.

If someone is considering one: I had it done and then found out about the headphone-thing. Still, I found a way to get around that problem. And it's just a gorgeous piercing :)

Re: HPV & vaccination. In NL it's not classified as an STD. I found out about its "STD" status elsewhere through this thread actually. Considering the number of partners I've had without using a condom, I don't think the vaccine will be of additional value to me.
Other than causing cervical cancer in some cases, does HPV do anything, and is it detectable?
This too shall pass

hestia

Postby hestia » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:52 am UTC

Ugh, acne...

I went through the entirety of my teenagerdom sans acne then I turn 21 and poof, breakouts. It drives me insane, why couldn't I have gotten acne when everyone else did?!

I use Neutrogena rapid clear acne eliminating spot gel on particularly annoying and painful zits. It usually gets rid of the smaller ones in a day or two and makes the big ones small enough that they do not hurt. I have been reasonably happy with it but I can't say that I have done much research on the topic.
NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:27 am UTC

Jessica wrote:I don't know how to braid my own hair...
The trick is working out exactly where your hands go and then practice. I can braid/plait my hair both normally and inside-out (really handy for when you're braiding past shoulder length).

If I can get someone to take the photos, I might post a bit of a how-to. I recommend practicing with your hair pulled into a pony tail.

---

1. During braiding, your hands should be palm-forward, thumb at the bottom.

2. Divide your hair into three and place your right thumb under the middle strand, holding it against your palm. The right-hand strand should be between your index and middle fingers; the left-hand strand between your middle and ring fingers. The three strands should form a pile seperated by fingers.

3. Pinch the central strand between the thumb and index finger of your left hand and the top-most strand between your left index and middle finger. Pull your hands apart so that the top two strands go left and the bottom strand goes right.

4. Bring the bottom strand to the top of the pile and pinch between your left middle and ring fingers.

5. Pinch the middle strand between your right thumb and index finger, and the top-most strand between your right index and middle finger. Pull your hands apart so that the top two strands go right and the bottom goes left. This step is the same as step 3, just mirrored!

6. Repeat step 4!

7. just keep repeating steps 3-6 until you can't reach any further down your hair or you run out of hair to braid.

---

The inside-out part is a little harder, but while my hair is in my left hand, I bring the braid around to the front of my shoulder, turn my palms back towards my body, and continue braiding with my hands in front of me. That's a bit harder to explain and my hair isn't long enough anymore for me to practice and write down the steps as I go.

These instructions also *roughly* translate to french braiding, only you have to remember to draw the next strand of hair up to the braid as you go. That, and it's much slower going.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:28 am UTC

I'm 20, and rather irritated that my acne is still hanging around in full force. Proactiv didn't do a whole lot, and now I'm using a tea tree oil wash with leftover benzoyl peroxide moisturizer to the exact same effect.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:35 am UTC

Artemisia wrote:Other than causing cervical cancer in some cases, does HPV do anything, and is it detectable?

What it does
Quick answer - Genital Warts. Though I'm not certain if the vaccine protects against the strain that causes that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:10 am UTC

Jessica wrote:I have wavy longish hair. It's a pain to deal with, as it tangles if you look at it funny. I've tried tying my hair back when I sleep, and it only helps mildly. I don't know how to braid my own hair...

Oh I miss braiding my hair. Its been years! @_@
I always got put to work braiding others hair though.

I wish I didn't cut my hair now :P
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:35 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Artemisia wrote:Other than causing cervical cancer in some cases, does HPV do anything, and is it detectable?

What it does
Quick answer - Genital Warts. Though I'm not certain if the vaccine protects against the strain that causes that.

Why do you call the whole HPV an STD, not just the genital warts? cold sore is not *just* sexually transmitted (and by the by: that's the exact same strain as the genital warts. If you get cold sores, you will never get genital warts)

[edit] according to the Dutch wikipedia page, the vaccine itself can have some nasty side effects. Source
Last edited by Artemisia on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This too shall pass

crowey

Postby crowey » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:39 am UTC

Uh, no.
HPV is Human Papiloma Virus, cold sore is Herpes simplex. Different viruses.

It's called an STD because that is the most common way it is transmitted.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:55 am UTC

I'm just confused as to why I remember genital warts being at the bottom of the top ten STD's in NL (Chlamydia being no. 1) and never been informed by the high amount of different HPV strains, most of which indeed are sexually transmitted.

Anywho, the vaccine itself hasn't actually proven to be successful yet.
It is promising, tho. But not enough (to me) to have that shot tbh. YMMV :)
This too shall pass

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

I got the HPV vaccine last year. I was already sexually active, but they recommended it anyway. I got it at Planned Parenthood, and my insurance covered it.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:01 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:I'm just confused as to why I remember genital warts being at the bottom of the top ten STD's in NL (Chlamydia being no. 1) and never been informed by the high amount of different HPV strains, most of which indeed are sexually transmitted.
I believe because the strain that causes Genital Warts is highly noticeable and affects both sexes equally... while the ones that cause cancer years down the line are.. hard to spot and don't seem to do much beyond that - and it's debatable as to how much they cause cancer and how much they simply act as an accelerative for something that was going to happen regardless.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

I'm right on the cusp of the age where they stop recommending HPV vaccination (26) so I'm not sure if I should go to the doctor and get it or not bother. My doctor is a little useless anyway.
Rice Puddin.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:12 pm UTC

I'm still a little leery of Gardasil. I think that the vaccine is a truly wonderful thing, but the lack of thorough testing makes me want to pass on it for now... I suppose I can get it in a few years if I want to, though; I'm only 19. *shrug*
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:14 pm UTC

The whole thing sounds wonderful, I wish they were working on a male version, but that being said, I also wish it had more testing to clear up some of the problems.

crowey

Postby crowey » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

The vaccine works for men and women.
There's not so much motivation for men to get it though, since for most of the HPVs they are a carrier and aren't affected.
Though some are thought to contribute to some penile cancers, and obviously the warts.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

Right, but I was under the impression that they were refusing to give it to men on the grounds that it hadn't been tested nearly as much on men as women, and that there was no reason (read: way to make money) or desire from the public to do so. But that may just be an FDA thing. Or I'm simply uninformed.

crowey

Postby crowey » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

according to the BBC it's licenced in the UK for boys aged 9-15, Drs will give it beyond that, but it has to be off licence....

I think possibly it's largly a public acceptance Vs need Vs money thing for men, it'll come with time.

The more I've read the more concerned about the lack of testing of the vaccine before it's gone out to the public.....

also: anal cancer :shock:

justaman

Postby justaman » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I believe because the strain that causes Genital Warts is highly noticeable and affects both sexes equally... while the ones that cause cancer years down the line are.. hard to spot and don't seem to do much beyond that - and it's debatable as to how much they cause cancer and how much they simply act as an accelerative for something that was going to happen regardless.

Not to derail the discussion with SCIENCE but the mechanism is through what is known as the E6/E7 protein of HPV, which all the HPV strains have. This protein interacts with tumour supressor proteins (usually p53 and Rb, if you are interested) causing them to be inactivated/degraded, which means that the cell can then continue dividing past the usual limits imposed by DNA damage from telomere shortening. If the cell is then able to switch on a telomere maintenance mechanism the cell will become essentially immortal i.e cancerous. As ST says, it isn't really known how much of a role the virus plays in this but it is possible to take perfectly normal cells from a person, put them in culture, and make them become cancerous at a rate of about 1% by adding a virus to the culture, while just leaving them to divide rarely, if at all (I can't think of any instances published), results in immortalisation. Gardasil only protects against two of the more common strains of HPV, but all strains are capable of performing the immortalisation. You may also be interested to know that viruses (not just HPV) are thought to cause up to 15% of all cancers worldwide. The other viruses use a similar mechanism to HPV but different proteins.

TL,DR: Viruses can cause the cells to get half way to being immortal (which = cancer), but it doesn't happen at a high frequency.
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

My insurance here in the States covered most of the Gardasil vaccine, so I got it. I think I paid either $15 or $50 (I can't remember which between that and the flu shot) per shot. I still have the last one to go in December when I come home from college.

I know it's not tested fully, but to me, it's worth it. I'm a virgin, but I'm sure that will change some day so might as well give it a try.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:05 pm UTC

My gyno had it recommended for women under 26. I paid the same $20 for a doctor visit under my then-insurance.

Their office hours were so weird that I had trouble keeping track/making appointments, though, and now I only have 2/3 of the shot (and a significant gap of time, and no insurance, and live in a different state). I'm just going to assume it won't kill me.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:My doctor said not to get things with salicylic acid, because that will dry out your skin without actually killing your zits, so then you'll have dry skin AND zits. Instead get a product where the active ingredient is benzoyl peroxide.
I have the greatest perscription only stuff that used to be my sisters. I'm sure it's considered expired but it kick some SERIOUS ass. I usually only use it when I have a serious problem because it does make my skin all red, but it kicks ass. Yey benzoyl peroxide!
Delalyra wrote:I'm still a little leery of Gardasil. I think that the vaccine is a truly wonderful thing, but the lack of thorough testing makes me want to pass on it for now... I suppose I can get it in a few years if I want to, though; I'm only 19. *shrug*
I'm JUST too old. Plus I don't really think I'm ever gonna have sex with anyone else. But maybe I will. the odds are my insurance won't cover it though, it covers NOTHING.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:58 am UTC

I have purchased makeup! I got a little suckered by the woman at Nordstrom's who did my color match and all that, but I managed to just buy about, uh, four things, and will purchase the rest at a drugstore or something. (The makeup brush she was selling would have cost me $28. I bought two at Icing for a total of $7.35)

She put many things on my face. I'm supposed to wash them off before I go to sleep, right? Do I just use a washcloth and water, or do I need gunk-removing gunk?

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:01 am UTC

Yeah I'd wash it before sleeping.
There are a few strategies for getting rid of makeup,

I usually just use a gentle cleanser and water and a facecloth. I do that in the shower as often as not.

If you have lots of gunk on your face you might want to use some face lotion to loosen it, then facecloth and water.
Rice Puddin.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:21 am UTC

What?! So I do need gunk just to remove the gunk. This strikes me as silly. *grumbles*

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:27 am UTC

Makeup is sort of like pretty dirt.

You want it on your face, but not all the time.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:40 am UTC

It's just like getting stains out of your clothes with detergent.

The moisturizer reactivates the pliability of the makeup and makes it easier to remove. So yes, simple answer, you do need more gunk to remove the gunk. Though, I tend to wash my face before I go to bed whether I wore makeup or not.
Rice Puddin.

mandalynn

Postby mandalynn » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:54 am UTC

You only need moisturizer if the gunk she put on you was waterproof. Otherwise soap/facewash and water will take it off. (soap if its what you typically use... if you have sensitive skin or are acne prone, a specialized facial cleanser blah blah blah)

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:16 am UTC

mandalynn wrote: if you have sensitive skin or are acne prone, a specialized facial cleanser blah blah blah)

I am both of these *sad face*

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:56 am UTC

NO SOAP ON FACE and yes it's best to wash off makeup before bed.

Especially if you have a problem skin, but even if you don't, pleeeeeeaaaaase take care of your face. The skin is more sensitive than most skin on your body and is constantly exposed to sun, wind, polution, aircon/heating, maybe makeup, etc etc etc.

Taking care of yourself is not the same as being vain and girly, a good skin care regime will stand you in good stead all your life and help you look your best naturally. It doesn't have to be complicated or expensive, but for the love of all that's good, consider getting into a pattern of at least washing your face before bed with a facial cleanser and moisturising morning and night. It's that simple. But it will remove built up sebum WITHOUT drying out your skin like normal soap (which would lead to more sebum production to make up for the dryness, which leads to more spots). It will stop dry flaky skin. It will help your skin regenerate when you sleep, when it does a lot of good stuff in the epidermal layers, which will help your skin look fresher and brighter right now and will help it keep elasticity when you're older.

Take care of your face. Seriously.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Return to “General”