[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

abitha

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread-The thread that gives (every month)

Postby abitha » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

So you haven't trimmed the stalk at all? Most people seem to say that you need to trim it, because the correct position is so low down that it would be sticking out otherwise. I'm not sure i can get it in any further, anyway!

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

Sometimes if it 'pops' too close to outside I'll just push it back from the base. The place it sits for me is far enough in that the stem does not protrude and I haven't trimmed it because it doesn't bother me.
Rice Puddin.

abitha

Postby abitha » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:36 pm UTC

Further progress! It is now fully inside, without the stem protruding, about as far up as a tampon. Achieved using origami fold and squatting.

However, as far as i can tell it still hasn't popped open properly, and it kinda hurts (feels a bit like period pain, except it can't be because i didn't have any period pain before i put it in).

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:38 pm UTC

If you can reach the base, try turning it 360, that usually causes it to pop for me.
Rice Puddin.

abitha

Postby abitha » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

Weird. I can't feel any foldedness now, i think it must have popped without me noticing - i guess i was expecting it to do so suddenly, like it does at the surface, but if it was just opening gradually and further in maybe it'd be less noticeable?

Still not entirely pain-free though - presumably my vaginal muscles aren't used to it being there and are having a bit of a spasm around it, but i'm hoping they'll relax in a bit. Am not in too much of a hurry to take it out, after all the trouble it was to put in!

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

thanks to sophy and delalyra.
i think i will look into an IUD, not having to keep track of my pills would be nice, though the extra cramping sounds unpleasant considering i got put on the pill to lesson the cramps. deffinitly going to look into it though!
ImageImageImageImageImage

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:42 pm UTC

I just got back from my gyn appointment. I have to wait until I have Shark Week so that my cervix is more open and it's easier to insert, and then I can has IUD!

I also talked to her about my whole long sad history of weight loss/gain, wonky periods, etc., and she started asking me questions - Have you noticed a lot more acne when you weren't on HBC. Howbout facial/body hair? And period irregularity? And trouble losing weight?

She thinks I have PCOS. I have to go get tested for various hormone levels. I am sad.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:46 pm UTC

I was worried about baby jesus the second minus no message from the Lord but my gyno said that every thing is fine and it's normal that I missed a period in my third month on the pill. Good! So, I don't have to worry about something being wrong or virgin births. :)

Aaaand, I am le excited for my plush uterus and prom is coming up! This was my first experience at a nail place and we were looking at colors and desgns for my pretty and unique prom dress (it's a silk chinese dress ^^). I'll send pictures when they..get taken.

Btw, part of my school got to view the science experiment before I even got to! We're not sure what happened but it ended up playing at the very end and some parts of the school saw it..so..yeah. I didn't expect that to happen but Mike said it was funny and awesome. g0g0 pads! They also thought "Doctor Muffin" was funny.. OH GOSH! I completely forgot about the slang attached to that!! I just called my assistant that since I call him Muffin.. yikes! Eventually, gals, you'll finally be able to see if the entire ocean came out of your vagina, could the pad hold it.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:01 am UTC

I enjoy being able to predict Shark Week to an hour or so of onset. I do not enjoy getting back to my room, pleased that I've escaped cramps for the day (which means for the month, yay easy Shark Week!). And sitting down to do some work and then feeling my uterus laugh at me. Luckily, they were of the "couple of twinges to remind you you're bleeding from the vage" variety and not the "curl up in bed in a cold sweat, wishing for death" kind.

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:10 am UTC

good for keep on trying! I think maybe you just aren't pushing it up in there far enough. I completely cut the stem off and it goes way up in there. My cervix is high, but I am very very familiar with my insides. It really takes a lot of patience, persistance, and desire to learn about your body to get the best results.

abitha

Postby abitha » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:24 am UTC

Hurrah - mooncup FTW, and woman thread FTW! I seem to have got the hang of it now - still not the easiest thing in the world, but i'm sure i'll get better at it. Thank you woman thread, and special thanks to sophyturtle, rinsaikeru, enuja, SDIX, picturesarah, existential_elevator and cassi (and anyone else i've missed!) - couldn't have done it without you!

Also, i said i'd share the top tips once i'd mastered it, for the benefit of anyone else who's having the same problems. For me, these were:
1. Push it in much further than the packaging seems to suggest. The end of the uncut stalk is at least an inch inside when it's in the right place for me, although it sounds like for some women (possibly those with a lower cervix?) it's much lower than that. Rim of the cup needs to be above the pelvic floor, otherwise it pushes out rather than holding it in. Am thinking of trimming the stalk still, because it seems to be digging in (i think that's why it still hurts a bit), but i want to be confident i'll still be able to get it out before i do that!
2. Getting it that far in is quite tricky unless you're using the right fold. The only way i can get it that far in is to do the origami fold (sort of like the push-down but with a double fold at the top), and hold it between my thumb and index finger with the thumb on top on the smooth side and the index finger underneath on the folded side. That way the index finger can continue to hold it closed once it's half-way in, and continue to push back until it's in position. The origami fold also seems to pop open by itself more easily than the others once it's in.

Thanks once again to all who have shared in my mooncup quest! :D

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

so today i went to the salvation army and scored big, and i felt the need to share the additions to my wardrobe.
Spoiler:
awesome leopard tank
polka-dot halter top and top of skirt
bottom of skirt and shoes
better but not great pic of shoes

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm UTC

the polka dot halter looks awesome on you!!!

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:39 pm UTC

SDIX wrote:the polka dot halter looks awesome on you!!!

I second this! It was exactly what I was thinking, it looks amazing.

And congrats on your mooncup success abitha! I'm not even sure if you can get them in New Zealand, or where the hell I'd look to find one? I'm not sure if I'm ready to venture that way anyway though, need to go back through some of these pages and read more about it I think. Wow this thread makes me feel lucky sometimes. Sure I've had the tampon-insertion issues and most issues described here but I've never had Shark Week cramps. Not once I don't think? :D
(sorry....)

I did used to be able to predict with quite short notice its arrival based on the irritability, screaming, stomping, and uncontrollable crying that would occur in quick succesion within an hour before it came. Thank goodness that stopped with the teenage years.

Van

Postby Van » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:45 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Speaking of, what do you all do for pimples?

I'm like 2 pages late to the party, but I wanted to add a vote in favor of tea tree oil. I started getting cystic acne in my late 'teens, you know, the kind that stays under the surface, takes a month or more to go away, and then leaves a red splotch for another month or two after that. It's also seemingly immune to normal treatments, Neutrogena and so on. Fun. I stumbled into a tea tree oil acne medicine (which is just diluted tea tree oil, basically), and with using it twice a day their life cycle has dropped from 2+ months to 2-4 days.
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:00 pm UTC

Van wrote:
Sungura wrote:Speaking of, what do you all do for pimples?

I'm like 2 pages late to the party, but I wanted to add a vote in favor of tea tree oil. I started getting cystic acne in my late 'teens, you know, the kind that stays under the surface, takes a month or more to go away, and then leaves a red splotch for another month or two after that. It's also seemingly immune to normal treatments, Neutrogena and so on. Fun. I stumbled into a tea tree oil acne medicine (which is just diluted tea tree oil, basically), and with using it twice a day their life cycle has dropped from 2+ months to 2-4 days.

Cool! Well it's like day three now of trying it? I'm just putting it on at night. I figure I'll need to use it a month or so to be sure of anything, but it does seem to help some so far. :D
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:10 pm UTC

Congrats Abitha!! So, awesome. :D
Rice Puddin.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

abitha wrote:Hurrah - mooncup FTW, and woman thread FTW! I seem to have got the hang of it now - still not the easiest thing in the world, but i'm sure i'll get better at it. Thank you woman thread, and special thanks to sophyturtle, rinsaikeru, enuja, SDIX, picturesarah, existential_elevator and cassi (and anyone else i've missed!) - couldn't have done it without you!

Also, i said i'd share the top tips once i'd mastered it, for the benefit of anyone else who's having the same problems. For me, these were:
1. Push it in much further than the packaging seems to suggest. The end of the uncut stalk is at least an inch inside when it's in the right place for me, although it sounds like for some women (possibly those with a lower cervix?) it's much lower than that. Rim of the cup needs to be above the pelvic floor, otherwise it pushes out rather than holding it in. Am thinking of trimming the stalk still, because it seems to be digging in (i think that's why it still hurts a bit), but i want to be confident i'll still be able to get it out before i do that!
2. Getting it that far in is quite tricky unless you're using the right fold. The only way i can get it that far in is to do the origami fold (sort of like the push-down but with a double fold at the top), and hold it between my thumb and index finger with the thumb on top on the smooth side and the index finger underneath on the folded side. That way the index finger can continue to hold it closed once it's half-way in, and continue to push back until it's in position. The origami fold also seems to pop open by itself more easily than the others once it's in.

Thanks once again to all who have shared in my mooncup quest! :D

Awesome!!! Thank you for the tips, they are what I do but am unable to articulate.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:20 pm UTC

I can feel my Shark Week coming. My 3 days of pre-cramps are beginning. I guess that means I better get going if I want to use a mooncup for this round. :(
milk from space is good for you!

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

thanks sdix and turtle, that was great to wake up to! =]

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

Hey, woman thread... I'm back.
Had a pretty terrible week, that's for sure, but I'll be back at work tomorrow, and ready to keep going forward.

Yay!
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

Yay!

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Fri May 01, 2009 12:27 am UTC

@Jessica - *hugglesandcuddles*
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Fri May 01, 2009 1:10 am UTC

*hugs for Jess*
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Aiko

Postby Aiko » Fri May 01, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

more *hugs*... although idk if you really want them from me, since I really lurk more than post and you don't even know me.... but *hugs* all the same, I guess :)

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Fri May 01, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

I just got my nails done for the first time! I got a manicure and weekenders, which are fake nails that usually just stay on for about a weekend or so.

They're not terribly long, honestly, but I bite my nails so I am not used to this. It's for prom btw. Any other lady get their nails done often or have trouble getting used to them (although I just got them on). Anyone have any suggestions for keeping them nice?
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri May 01, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

Find something to fidget with that's safe for your nails. Rubik's cube? Make origami? I know I most often wreck my nails by fidgetting.
Rice Puddin.

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Fri May 01, 2009 10:25 pm UTC

Don't chew on them. I had mine done awhile ago and chewed on them till they popped off.
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Fri May 01, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

I use to nibble on the corners of then and pop them off. I wasted SO much money on fake nails!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat May 02, 2009 12:31 am UTC

I'm sad that work doesn't want me back. They want me to get a note from my doc that says I'm ok to be working again. That and not be sick.

Argh.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Sat May 02, 2009 1:45 am UTC

SDIX wrote:I use to nibble on the corners of then and pop them off. I wasted SO much money on fake nails!

I did too. 40$ for a set and they would be off in four or five days.
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.

Jadestone

Postby Jadestone » Sat May 02, 2009 3:18 am UTC

On the subject of nails, I do this thing when I am bored where I draw little designs on them with pen, mostly flowers/vines. It looks really cool but smears easily, and I can't really do my right hand well as it's my dominant. I was thinking maybe if I did someone else's and put on white nail polish first, then drew the designs, then put clear nail polish over to protect them it could look really cool. I'd feel kind of weird just asking a friend though, manicures are very much not my thing. Maybe I could try it and offer to do my friend's for prom or something? That might be cool, though I'd want to make sure it worked first.

On the subject of prom (I am not going to mine), my friend was grounded from it. For apparently being rude to her parents. From what I heard from her and others who were there she wasn't saying anything *that* bad, just made a snarky comment to her mother. Her mom then started screaming at her--where she works, in a library-- and drove home without her. She cried for a long time in the back of an office and finally her dad came to get her, and she appologized when she got home but her mother then grounded her and told her she couldn't go to prom. She's already ordered a dress that was supposed to arrive yesterday, and had plans. They made her get her ticket refunded.

Is it just me, or does this seem totally out of line? I mean, it is her junior year prom. She's been excited for it all year. Women, opinions?

I told her she should come and watch movies with me that day or soemthing so she wouldn't be alone, but... iasugfbiebhrgd honestly her parents have this control thing and I just want to tell them off. Or punch them.
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Sat May 02, 2009 3:49 am UTC

@Jadestone:
Yes, in my mind that's incredibly harsh, but then I grew up with liberal verging-on-hippy parents. Are her parents always that harsh/controlling? Is it possible to speak to them about how much going to prom would mean to her or will that simply make matters worse? I'm guessing it wouldn't resolve anything. Good plan with the movies thing. Do her parents always treat her like that? You make it sound as though they're always so harsh/controlling, rather than just being stresst or getting into arguments with her once in a while. I had some pretty full-on arfuments with my parents during the teenage years, but they were pretty good overall.

Magic Smoothie

Postby Magic Smoothie » Sat May 02, 2009 4:30 am UTC

Maybe I'm an impulsive idiot, but if you can't get her mom to change her mind I'd say to invite her over for the "movie night" and see if you could sneak her off, if she was that excited about it. Reminds me of when my mom threw away the birthday cake my friend made me for spilling silverware.
The Smoothie has started blogging. OH NO.

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Sat May 02, 2009 11:27 am UTC

so, i'm not pregnant, as per usual
i have an apointment tommorow to get my HPV shot and to talk IUDs
and my purse got stolen, namely my planner, notepad and fave jewelry got stolen. i don't really care about the money
the woman thread is my best girl friend, so you all get to here me whine

dragonridingsorceress

Postby dragonridingsorceress » Sat May 02, 2009 12:54 pm UTC

Hello all.

I'm fairly new to the xkcd threads. I've posted a bit in the xkcd slight worse thread. (And I believe I've spotted abitha there.)

I've read the first page, and the last page of this thread so far.

On the topic of:

Unshaved legs and Unplucked eyebrows - I'm usually ok re: legs in summer - the chances are always high that I'll decide to go swimming. I get a bit lazy in winter, coz I'm always wearing long pants then...
But when it comes to my eyebrows, Mum pretty much has to hold me down in order to be able to pluck them. I wear glasses, and I'm not in the habit of staring into mirrors for hours on end, so it never crosses my mind. Plus, it hurts.

Contraceptives - I'm on the pill, and so glad of it. My periods used to be quite unpredictable, start off very heavy, and I'd get a lot of cramping. Now, next to no cramping, a lot lighter, shorter duration, and I know when they'll come to 1 day's accuracy. It's pretty sweet. Doesn't seem to have done anything to help with pimples, but so far, I've not had the misfortune to get a severe acne breakout - I'll usually get two or three at a time, and that's it.
My boyfriend and I are each other's first sexual partners, and we found out early on that he has no sensation whatsoever through condoms.
Does having an IUD mean you can never have children? That surely can't be right... but that's what Meaux_Pas' post seemed to say to me
...I started talking to my doctors about getting an IUD, cause hell, I'm childfree anyway so I'll just take the 10 years of birth control in one hospital visit. Rock On.
First doctor, said no. Told me nobody'd give a 19 year old nulliparous woman an IUD.

Sanitary items - Ok, these cups sound interesting. Some questions that occurred to me:
Does anyone know if they're available in Australia?
Is it easy enough if I'm away from home - say at work - and have to use public toilets?
Are they any impediment to sex?
wrt the last one - I'm more squeamish about sex during my periods than my bf is. I'm generally the one saying "But there's blood!"

Nails - I'm dreadful. I bite, twist, and pick at my nails. :(
Anyone have advice for stopping? I've tried the polish-y that tastes bad, but it only really works for one or two 'licks', and then I'd need to put it back on again or it has no effect.

@Jadestone - Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend :( The only advice I could give you has pretty much already been given - she needs to sit down and have a calm, logical talk with her parents, explain why the formal/prom means so much to her, and why she feels the punishment is an over-reaction (except phrasing it better than that).

So yea... Hi all. Glad to see a thread like this. :)

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sat May 02, 2009 1:32 pm UTC

dragonridingsorceress wrote:Nails - I'm dreadful. I bite, twist, and pick at my nails. :(
Anyone have advice for stopping? I've tried the polish-y that tastes bad, but it only really works for one or two 'licks', and then I'd need to put it back on again or it has no effect.
Welcome to the thread! The only way I've found to cut down on chewing my nails is to channel the habit into something else. I know I chew them when I'm nervous or bored, so now I make an effort to scribble with a pen or play with something to keep my hands busy. The rest of the time, I keep my hands in my pockets or holding my bag or something. It's the only good advice I have.

Funny story: My mum took me to a chemist when I was, oh, thirteen or so (and looking a lot younger than my age) to look for nasty-tasting polish, on my request. I used to be super-shy, so I asked mum to ask the woman at the counter so that I didn't have to. Mum was told that it was a form of child abuse. We didn't get any polish.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat May 02, 2009 1:59 pm UTC

Re: Chewing Nails

I always have a pack of cards on me, and shuffling those is a good way to distract yourself.

*retreats back to the man thread.*

abitha

Postby abitha » Sat May 02, 2009 2:24 pm UTC

dragonridingsorceress wrote:Sanitary items - Ok, these cups sound interesting. Some questions that occurred to me:
Does anyone know if they're available in Australia?
Is it easy enough if I'm away from home - say at work - and have to use public toilets?
Are they any impediment to sex?
wrt the last one - I'm more squeamish about sex during my periods than my bf is. I'm generally the one saying "But there's blood!"

Hello, welcome!

You can buy cups in most countries it seems - you might need to order them over the internet rather than getting them from a shop, but a large pharmacy is reasonably likely to have them. This page lists some places you can get them (mooncup is the name for them in UK and some other places, keeper and lunette are basically just the same thing but with a different name).

Unless your flow is particularly heavy, or your work shifts are particularly long, you probably won't need to change it at work. To be fair, i haven't yet used mine on the heaviest day of Shark Week, and i don't think my periods are very heavy anyway, but on the lighter days it was nowhere near full when i emptied it after 8 hours (like, literally only a few mls, and it'll hold 12ml). I don't think i'd be that keen to change mine in a public toilet unless there was a basin inside the actual toilet cubicle, but other people say you can (either wipe it out with toilet paper, or carry a bottle of water in your bag to rinse it with).

The mooncup website says you can't have sex with it in, but someone a few pages back in this thread said she'd had sex with it in and neither she nor her partner had even noticed it was there. Go figure. It probably depends whereabouts the cup sits for you, which seems to vary from person to person. It's definitely not a contraceptive, but it didn't sound like you thought it was anyway.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sat May 02, 2009 3:19 pm UTC

dragonridingsorceress wrote:Does having an IUD mean you can never have children? That surely can't be right... but that's what Meaux_Pas' post seemed to say to me
...I started talking to my doctors about getting an IUD, cause hell, I'm childfree anyway so I'll just take the 10 years of birth control in one hospital visit. Rock On.
First doctor, said no. Told me nobody'd give a 19 year old nulliparous woman an IUD.

Oh no no no! I'm never having children, but an IUD is a completely reversible implant procedure.
Sophyturtle also has one, and I think a couple other people around here might too?
My Paragard will last 10 years, but I could remove it at any time. Doctors are often wary of this procedure for nulliparous (haven't ever been pregnant) women because of the Dalkon Shield fiasco of the 70s, but for me the risks were far outweighed by the benefits.

Return to “General”