[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Hyphe

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread-The thread that gives (every month)

Postby Hyphe » Sat May 02, 2009 3:23 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:Sophyturtle also has one, and I think a couple other people around here might too?

I would have one by now, if my doctor wasn't being such a complete bitch about it. So I'm going to wait until I move and find a better, nicer doctor to do it.

obituary

Postby obituary » Sat May 02, 2009 3:34 pm UTC

Jadestone wrote:On the subject of nails, I do this thing when I am bored where I draw little designs on them with pen, mostly flowers/vines. It looks really cool but smears easily, and I can't really do my right hand well as it's my dominant. I was thinking maybe if I did someone else's and put on white nail polish first, then drew the designs, then put clear nail polish over to protect them it could look really cool. I'd feel kind of weird just asking a friend though, manicures are very much not my thing. Maybe I could try it and offer to do my friend's for prom or something? That might be cool, though I'd want to make sure it worked first..

they sell nail art pens at CVS. I have two and theyre pretty cool.. you do need clear nailpolish to go on top though..
hey. i like you. <3.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sat May 02, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

The reversability of the IUD is actually one of the good points about it that my doctor brought up when I saw her on Wednesday. She said "the Paragard doesn't mess with your ovulation, so when you do decide to get pregnant, you just have it removed and you should be able to conceive within a year." Of course, that's before she brought up the PCOS, which might cause difficulties, but is unrelated to the IUD. Also, she didn't give me any grief about getting an IUD, even though I am 22 and have never had kids. It's really nice to have a doctor who actually *listens* to me for a change, though. I've been telling my symptoms to doctors for 4 years, and she's the first one to consider the possibility of PCOS, when I check almost every single symptom for it.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Sat May 02, 2009 4:27 pm UTC

Hyphe wrote:
Meaux_Pas wrote:Sophyturtle also has one, and I think a couple other people around here might too?

I would have one by now, if my doctor wasn't being such a complete bitch about it. So I'm going to wait until I move and find a better, nicer doctor to do it.

Move here! :D
Or I guess Sweden could work for you *teehee*
You wouldn't even have to change your location!
*hugs*
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Sat May 02, 2009 6:32 pm UTC

Hmmm, most doctors won't put IUDs in nulliparous young women, but do we think a planned parenthood or other clinic might? I wonder.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sat May 02, 2009 7:16 pm UTC

I think it's much more dependent on the culture in your area than necessarily the place you go, for example I went to a downtown Cambridge, Mass women's health clinic for mine, and they were all for it. I would expect an organization like PP to be more encouraging of such methods, but I didn't go there, and even if I had, it would still have been a very urban area, and I've found that doctors in cities are way more pro-birth control for one reason or another.
In order to best find a doctor for this, I would specifically request an appointment to discuss IUD insertion and ask whether the doctor you will see is willing to place an IUD in a nulliparous woman, so you'll know if you're wasting your time and money.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Sat May 02, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

The doc I saw didn't even bring up the fact that I was nulliparous, and she wasn't at a women's clinic or a PP. She is just a obgyn at a medical center that has a GP and a few other flavors of doctor.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sat May 02, 2009 7:28 pm UTC

Sweet. I had two or three doctors before one would talk to me about an IUD with sentences that didn't start with "no."
I definitely noticed that the closer I got to the city the better informed and more liberal my doctors were, though I was surprised to have the lady who put in my IUD express that she was flabberghasted by the Diva Cup. Never heard of the thing. No idea about using it with an IUD.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Sun May 03, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Magic Smoothie wrote:Maybe I'm an impulsive idiot, but if you can't get her mom to change her mind I'd say to invite her over for the "movie night" and see if you could sneak her off, if she was that excited about it. Reminds me of when my mom threw away the birthday cake my friend made me for spilling silverware.

You Mum threw away a birthdaycake that your friend (not even her!) made you because of an accident?!
Wow.
Was she seriously PMS-ing or something?
That must have made you feel so damn hurt and angry!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sun May 03, 2009 2:35 am UTC

DJorgensen wrote:
Hyphe wrote:

Move here! :D
Or I guess Sweden could work for you *teehee*
You wouldn't even have to change your location!
*hugs*

Clearly Hyphe should move here, not there... you have crickets already! :P
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Sun May 03, 2009 5:23 am UTC

Plasmic-Turtle wrote:
Magic Smoothie wrote:Maybe I'm an impulsive idiot, but if you can't get her mom to change her mind I'd say to invite her over for the "movie night" and see if you could sneak her off, if she was that excited about it. Reminds me of when my mom threw away the birthday cake my friend made me for spilling silverware.

You Mum threw away a birthdaycake that your friend (not even her!) made you because of an accident?!
Wow.
Was she seriously PMS-ing or something?
That must have made you feel so damn hurt and angry!

My mum is an over-reactor too. She recently nearly killed my laptop when she splashed a mug of water over me during an argument. It was the equivalent of throwing a martini at a rude man in a bar.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun May 03, 2009 6:04 am UTC

This is a bit of a trigger for me. Mothers (and fathers, but mothers are a particular trigger) who react to their children in ways that would horrify a neutral observer, but which are accepted as normal by the child. Because, for the child, it is normal. That's what happens, all the time, without the child being able to change it.

One of the most valuable things that my (good) therapist did for me was to normalise those reactions. I would describe a situation and he would react the way a normal person would (should). "Dad took me to see Mom at her office and everyone seemed to think I was cute. Later, Mom said she was ashamed of me because I hadn't brushed my hair." You can all -- I hope -- see what I couldn't, that it was her reaction that was out of line, not me. (Guess what: I wouldn't let anyone see me without makeup until I was almost 30. I was ashamed of how I looked.)

I wish that I could wish that perspective on everyone, everywhere, so they could see that it's not you, it's the weird things you've been taught. You were a whole, happy kid when you were made. Stuff went wrong and it's not your fault, but now you have to figure out how to make it right. For some people, this isn't hard. For others, it will take your whole life to make yourself feel like you belong. I wish I could wave some magic dust, but you'll just have to find it for yourself. This might rather belong in the Coping With Depression thread...
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Magic Smoothie

Postby Magic Smoothie » Sun May 03, 2009 6:28 am UTC

This thread was made to go off-topic. Anyways, I'm aware that my mom is crazy.
The Smoothie has started blogging. OH NO.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun May 03, 2009 8:42 am UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:IUD express that she was flabberghasted by the Diva Cup. Never heard of the thing. No idea about using it with an IUD.
How is an IUD/cup combination?
poxic wrote:it's not you, it's the weird things you've been taught
This is so true. I had [still have] an awkward home situation, and it took me till my late teens to realise that a lot of what happened in my life wasn't my fault. I still suffer from it now, and it's very hard to look back without being angry, or sad. Worse still, if she remembered my screen-name and decided to e-stalk me again, that last sentence would put me in a whole heap of shit. ~sigh~

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Mon May 04, 2009 1:15 am UTC

This is my second uterus:
Spoiler:
Uterus_plushus.jpg
Uterus_plushus.jpg (48.18 KiB) Viewed 4726 times
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon May 04, 2009 1:39 am UTC

I love your uterus! Our uteri should hang out :)
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Mon May 04, 2009 6:28 pm UTC

I need some help with a weight issue.

I am retaining fluid like there is no tomorrow. I am so very thirsty... so.very.thirsty. I have to pee all the time, I gained like 6lbs last week even though all I ate was raw fruits and veggies and the occasional chicken! WTF? Shark week is soon, but I don't normally bloat like this until it starts. I am taking a couple of drugs for allergies.
Any advice? help me pick my brain!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon May 04, 2009 7:00 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:
Meaux_Pas wrote:IUD express that she was flabberghasted by the Diva Cup. Never heard of the thing. No idea about using it with an IUD.
How is an IUD/cup combination?

No problems for me so far, no worries at all. I am generally careful to break the suction seal on my Diva before I start yanking it out, just in case. I do know one girl who accidentally tore out her IUD with her mooncup, but she suspects that she grabbed the strings when she pinched the cup, so YMMV.

poxic wrote:I wish that I could wish that perspective on everyone, everywhere, so they could see that it's not you, it's the weird things you've been taught. You were a whole, happy kid when you were made. Stuff went wrong and it's not your fault, but now you have to figure out how to make it right. For some people, this isn't hard. For others, it will take your whole life to make yourself feel like you belong. I wish I could wave some magic dust, but you'll just have to find it for yourself. This might rather belong in the Coping With Depression thread...

Girl thread, this just hit me like a ton of bricks. I am having kind of a rough day. And it's not me. It's my mom. And it's not, "My mom is crazy!" it's, My mom used to be this whole, happy kid when she was made, and I realized yesterday just what weird things she'd been taught. Specifically, her mother (adopted, at the age of 6) was manic depressive and paranoid delusional. My childhood memories associated with 'grandma' were her calling to scream at my mother, who would take it and take it and spend the rest of the day crying.
Now, my father does it to her. He's an alcoholic and also depressed/delusional. He accuses her of being a cheating whore, and makes jokes about how I'm not really his kid. I'm 27 years old. This shouldn't be happening. It happened when I was in High School too. Then he kicked her out for a while. I think she's finally to the point where she'll listen to me when I tell her not to take it anymore. Yesterday, I just had to tell her that no, it isn't her fault. She isn't the reason these people are treating her in this way.

She's nearly 60, and she's just realizing for the first time that this isn't her fault.

I can't really take it. And I don't know what to do.

This probably belongs in dear SB, yeah. I don't know.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon May 04, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

It's not as extreme as what's happening with you, but I also am in a spot where I feel like I'm teaching my mom that she can act independently of my dad. And she is light years away from recognizing that not every little thing that has ever gone wrong is her fault.

Shit is fucked up. I have hugs if you want them.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon May 04, 2009 10:46 pm UTC

Meaux and HELeN, hugs aplenty. My mom has gone through a lot of this as well. She had to do it without my help, partly because she didn't let me in on it and partly because I had more than enough of my own things to deal with.

Don't be afraid to look after yourself, first. When you have some energy and centeredness to spare, then help if you can, where you can. If you run yourself down looking after other people, you won't be any good to them or to yourself. (How many people can a doctor help if she has to keep taking stress leave?)

Love and being-grounded-in-ourselves.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Jadestone

Postby Jadestone » Mon May 04, 2009 11:47 pm UTC

Plasmic-Turtle wrote:@Jadestone:
Yes, in my mind that's incredibly harsh, but then I grew up with liberal verging-on-hippy parents. Are her parents always that harsh/controlling? Is it possible to speak to them about how much going to prom would mean to her or will that simply make matters worse? I'm guessing it wouldn't resolve anything. Good plan with the movies thing. Do her parents always treat her like that? You make it sound as though they're always so harsh/controlling, rather than just being stresst or getting into arguments with her once in a while. I had some pretty full-on arfuments with my parents during the teenage years, but they were pretty good overall.

They are very controlling most of the time. She's nearly constantly grounded, for things like being on the phone after 9 PM or not doing enough dishes, or not getting enough sleep (because she has to stay up late doing homework and washing dishes! Gah!) They recently installed software on the family computer that tracks all the sites she visits, blocks any they don't like (such as forums, DeviantArt, Facebook, ect; she doesn't go on many but anyplace where she might "talk to people instead of doing chores/studying" is off-limits), and it logs any conversations she has on instant messengers.

So you. Pretty controlling. And it's not like she's a bad student--she gets in trouble for not having straight A's, she has a very limited social life, she has a job as well as being in ballet classes. I mean, it's not like my family is perfect and I get along with them all of the time or even most of it, but it makes me angry to see them so dissatisfied with such a good kid.

We did discuss this, but I'm not sure we'd be able to pull it off, if my mother would be okay with it if she knew (though she does agree with me that it is entirely unfair and my friend's mother has control issues), if her mom would call her during the night/ect (very likely). She would also probably have to be back at her house earlier than she would return from prom.
It's too late to get her ticket back now, but... ahhhhg. >.<

And D: Threw away your birthday cake?

dragonridingsorceress wrote:@Jadestone - Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend :( The only advice I could give you has pretty much already been given - she needs to sit down and have a calm, logical talk with her parents, explain why the formal/prom means so much to her, and why she feels the punishment is an over-reaction (except phrasing it better than that).)

Firstly hello, I like your name.
I am certain she tried this. Her parents told her that she was no lnger grounded from being on the phone (as long as it was before 9 and she was doing something productive at the same time) and possibly ungrounded form going places because "they knew that going to prom was really what mattered to her."

It just makes me angry. She basically cried all the night and then got yelled at for keeping her sister awake because of it (I don't think her sister even complained of this--she tried to convince her mom to let my friend go too).

Anyway, yeah, I'm just mad that they would do this to her still. As if junior year isn't hellish enough to live through.

obituary wrote:they sell nail art pens at CVS. I have two and theyre pretty cool.. you do need clear nailpolish to go on top though..

It would make sense those exist now that I think about it! I shall look into some, thank you.

And many hugs to poxic and Meaux and H.E.L.e.N. if they wish them, issues like that suck. Utterly. :(

Edit: Long post is longer than I thought O.o

Also, I seem to not have gotten Shark Week for the second month in a row. There is zero chance I am pregnant, so I am okay with this. Uterus, take a break whenever you want, it is fine by me, really.
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Tue May 05, 2009 3:55 am UTC

Hi everyone! I have a quick question. I just got the pill today (I'm 22). I got it because my periods are seriously starting to affect my life. Not that they haven't for years now, but in college it was ok to skip classes; now I'm in the "real world" where I can't afford to take days off anymore to deal with this every month. I'm hoping the pill helps because this is sort of my last resort.

So here's my question: They said you have to take it at the same time of day, every day. What time of day do you guys recommend? I'd like to take it in the morning before I leave for work, but that would be 7 a.m.-ish, and I am almost never awake that early on the weekends. Has anyone had trouble taking it every night with dinner, or during lunch? I know I'll slip up, I'm just trying to minimize it. >.<

Also when I asked the nurse what the time window was on "same time of day", she just shrugged and said "oh, approximately the same time." ?!?!? Anyone have more insight on this?
milk from space is good for you!

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Tue May 05, 2009 3:59 am UTC

i take it at 9PM every night. and it works great for me.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue May 05, 2009 4:05 am UTC

If I remember correctly from previous posts in the thread, if you're trying to keep your hormones very stable you should aim to take the pill at precisely the same time every day. If you have too much leeway you might have some problems--mood swings were mentioned etc.

You might try setting a daily google alarm for yourself? Or one on your phone--to prompt you to take it. The consensus was take it at exactly the same time of day if possible....whatever time that is.
Rice Puddin.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Tue May 05, 2009 4:26 am UTC

http://www.pillpaks.com/

Birth control pill cases with an alarm that you only have to set once, and it goes off at the same time every day...handy.

Magic Smoothie

Postby Magic Smoothie » Tue May 05, 2009 4:45 am UTC

Life768 wrote:why do women need to take pills.,? if the men can use contraceptives in that way it will harm the health of men and the women.
Kudos for the super clear wording there.
The Smoothie has started blogging. OH NO.

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Tue May 05, 2009 5:04 am UTC

Life768 wrote:why do women need to take pills.,? if the men can use contraceptives in that way it will harm the health of men and the women.

Uh I guess I'll take this one, or at least try.

First of all, if you're just taking them to prevent pregnancy, a condom isn't 100% effective (neither is the pill). But if you use both, you increase your protection. Also, if you're willing to take a risk using just one type of protection (gasp! 1% chance!), it supposedly feels better having sex without a condom.

I'm not taking the pill for this reason, since I'm not even having sex right now. I got it because the pill also helps with menstrual cramps and pains, heavy periods, and irregular periods. Shark Week has gotten to the point where I pass out from the pain, so it's severely hurting my life. Also, the pill helps prevent ovarian and uterine cancer, cysts in the breasts and ovaries, bone thinning, acne, anemia (which I have a problem with - I'm getting tired of my blood being rejected when I go to donate :( ), and tubal pregnancies. (I just typed these from the info sheet the nurse gave me today)

Ok now I'm rereading your question and realizing that you're proposing men take the pill . . . ? I think? And that it somehow harms women? And men? Uh no. The pill doesn't do that. It has some minor side effects, and in some cases it can amplify a pre-existing condition (like high cholesterol or blood pressure) but that's about it.

P.S. You can set a signature in your user control panel, which you can find in a handy link near the top of the page, right under the "Board Index" button.
Last edited by Spacemilk on Tue May 05, 2009 2:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Tue May 05, 2009 5:58 am UTC

Well I started taking the pill for the first reason Spacemilk gave:
Spacemilk wrote:First of all, if you're just taking them to prevent pregnancy, a condom isn't 100% effective (neither is the pill). But if you use both, you increase your protection.

And I think I'm rather small down there and pretty sensitive, so now my reason is this:
Also, if you're willing to take a risk using just one type of protection (gasp! 1% chance!), it supposedly feels better having sex without a condom.
By gosh does it feel better to me. Also, as selfish as it sounds (and possibly/probably unhealthy) you are allowed to run the hormonal pills together sometimes, although they don't advise you do it more than twice in a row because of the risk of blood-clots and the rest I guess? Running the hormonal pills together means you get to avoid shark week altogether, and in all honesty I've never been a huge shark-week fan. If I'm hiking for 5 days in the mountains with 6 men and no toilets, the last thing thing I want is a horrible pad between my legs, I find if I'm hiking or similar they can sometimes chafe pretty badly. So it's nice to be able to plan ahead and skip shark week occasionally.

Cashew

Postby Cashew » Tue May 05, 2009 7:11 am UTC

SDIX wrote:I need some help with a weight issue.

I am retaining fluid like there is no tomorrow. I am so very thirsty... so.very.thirsty. I have to pee all the time, I gained like 6lbs last week even though all I ate was raw fruits and veggies and the occasional chicken! WTF? Shark week is soon, but I don't normally bloat like this until it starts. I am taking a couple of drugs for allergies.
Any advice? help me pick my brain!

odd question... When was your last physical? You actually have listed 2 of the 3 major symptoms of Diabetes.. Hows your appetite, because if you're hungry all the time, that's the third...

Not to be overdramatic, but it is a concern..

Then again, it could just be wonky hormones (which affect us all at times)

Just something to think about
--Nut

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Tue May 05, 2009 10:27 am UTC

Yeah, I was going to suggest diabetes as well. Get thee to a doctor at the very least, defo sounds like something you'll want to get checked out by somebody.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue May 05, 2009 10:40 am UTC

For reference, if it says something blatantly incoherent but semi-relavent, and has a commercial link in its signature, it is probably a spambot. Don't talk to it.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Tue May 05, 2009 11:14 am UTC

Dear Woman Thread,

I'm so sorry I haven't frequented you that much lately. I would like to let you all know though that I got married last week! :D

I have a gorgeous pic of me and my husband Andrew that I'd like to share. Despite having a somewhat conservative family and my dress being moderately revealing, I received a LOT of compliments about it :D Everyone loved the colour, and the way it looked on me ^^ The ceremony and the reception were lovely, it was much more than I expected, my family had really made a lot of effort to make it special. With success!

Andrew is now in Dusseldorf to hand in his application for a Family Permit which will should be issued to him in 5 to 15 days without problems. I am back in London, alone, working. But in less than three weeks Andrew and I will finally be reunited in London, and I am very much looking forward to it :D

This too shall pass

abitha

Postby abitha » Tue May 05, 2009 11:24 am UTC

SDIX - getting checked for diabetes would indeed be a good idea, although you'd be much more likely to lose weight rapidly with that rather than putting it on (with type 1 diabetes, that is - and with type 2 you'd be less likely to have the raging thirst and constant need to pee).

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Tue May 05, 2009 2:13 pm UTC

Cashew wrote:odd question... When was your last physical? You actually have listed 2 of the 3 major symptoms of Diabetes.. Hows your appetite, because if you're hungry all the time, that's the third...

It has been a while, last time I went was actually for similar issues. They checked my sugars, my thyroid, and the other normal tests... and everything came out normal. My mom has similar symptoms, she even has worse ones that *scream* diabetes, but she has been to 2 doctors and now a specialist and her sugar is perfectly fine.

It is possible I screwed up my sugar by changing my diet. I've added a lot of fruit to my diet, which I normally eat little to none. It could be all the natural sugars in them?

I do have very very screwy hormones. I quit ovulating last year and still haven't according to my charting. I can't take hormonal birth control, and I'm starting to wonder if I might have PCOS. I do have a lot of the signs of it. Irregular periods, weight issues, all the hair on my body decided to turn black... I have started to get weird spotting in the middle of my cycle. I should probably go in for a checkup, but I don't have insurance and we don't have clinics around here :?
abitha wrote:SDIX - getting checked for diabetes would indeed be a good idea, although you'd be much more likely to lose weight rapidly with that rather than putting it on (with type 1 diabetes, that is - and with type 2 you'd be less likely to have the raging thirst and constant need to pee).

I should clarify that the peeing isn't like a constant need to pee... it is that I am expelling as much fluid as I am taking in. I would think if I were truly dehydrated, I wouldn't be wasting so much fluid? Also my urine is of normal concentration, often times almost clear, if that means anything.
I've also been somewhat constipated. I have IBS and my depression and stress have been up lately. I haven't been caring much about anything and been drinking too much. I've also had indigestion, which I almost never get unless I am stressed.
It also has warmed up dramatically here, temperature is about 20* more now than it was a few weeks ago.

I wonder if it could be that I have screwed my sugar up with my change in diet...

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Tue May 05, 2009 2:35 pm UTC

Belial wrote:For reference, if it says something blatantly incoherent but semi-relavent, and has a commercial link in its signature, it is probably a spambot. Don't talk to it.

Sorry. :oops: Edited out the link.

abitha

Postby abitha » Tue May 05, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

SDIX wrote:It is possible I screwed up my sugar by changing my diet. I've added a lot of fruit to my diet, which I normally eat little to none. It could be all the natural sugars in them?

It doesn't really work like that - unless you have a deficit of insulin (type 1), or unless your eating habits and lifestyle over many years have caused your tissues to become resistant to the insulin you do produce (type 2), adding a bit more sugar to your diet won't raise the amount of it in your blood, because your body is very good at regulating stuff like that normally. Your blood sugar levels will rise transiently after a meal (for about 30 minutes or so), but will be rapidly brought down to normal, because insulin is secreted in response to this rise, and it tells your muscles/liver/other tissues to take up the sugar and get it out of your bloodstream.

Also, in type 2, a high blood sugar is usually symptomless for many years. That's not to say you definitely don't have type 2 diabetes (especially if you have PCOS), but I think it's unlikely to be what's causing your current symptoms.

A change in diet could conceivably have caused your symptoms in some other way (don't ask me how exactly!) but on the whole, the benefits of eating more fruit almost certainly outweigh the risks, so don't stop eating it!

I do have very very screwy hormones. I quit ovulating last year and still haven't according to my charting. I can't take hormonal birth control, and I'm starting to wonder if I might have PCOS. I do have a lot of the signs of it. Irregular periods, weight issues, all the hair on my body decided to turn black... I have started to get weird spotting in the middle of my cycle. I should probably go in for a checkup, but I don't have insurance and we don't have clinics around here :?

It sounds fairly likely... current diagnostic guidelines say that you have to show two of the following three for diagnosis, after other endocrine disorders have been excluded:
- oligo-ovulation or anovulation
- excess androgen activity
- polycystic ovaries seen on ultrasound
You say you have the first of these, and the darkening of your body hair is suggestive of the second. If you can get it checked out, it would be a good idea - but i hear what you're saying about it being difficult with the insurance issue.

abitha wrote:SDIX - getting checked for diabetes would indeed be a good idea, although you'd be much more likely to lose weight rapidly with that rather than putting it on (with type 1 diabetes, that is - and with type 2 you'd be less likely to have the raging thirst and constant need to pee).

I should clarify that the peeing isn't like a constant need to pee... it is that I am expelling as much fluid as I am taking in. I would think if I were truly dehydrated, I wouldn't be wasting so much fluid? Also my urine is of normal concentration, often times almost clear, if that means anything.

You're probably right about not being dehydrated. The most likely thing is probably just that you're drinking more fluid than your body actually needs, so it pees it out again. However, there is a rare condition called diabetes insipidus, in which the body fails to concentrate the urine properly. Do you find you still keep peeing dilute urine even if you deliberately don't drink anything? If so, it could be DI - if not, it's probably just normal.

EDIT: DI wouldn't cause you to retain fluid, so i don't think it's likely to be that.

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Tue May 05, 2009 3:41 pm UTC

I haven't tried to not drink, it almost hurts. I get so parched, and my throat kind of closes up.

Did I mention I am on anti-histamines right now?

abitha

Postby abitha » Tue May 05, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

SDIX wrote:I haven't tried to not drink, it almost hurts. I get so parched, and my throat kind of closes up.

Did I mention I am on anti-histamines right now?

Ah, i think you did, but i forgot. They could definitely be what's giving you a dry mouth (it's a recognised side effect), which of course makes you drink more, which of course makes you pee more.

You could try sucking ice cubes instead of drinking all the time, that might help. Or see if you can try a different antihistamine that doesn't give as much of that particular side effect.

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Tue May 05, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

Hmm... I wonder if gum would help? Or some hard candy thing?

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue May 05, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

Sour hard candies works very well for making your mouth produce spit at least.

Also, if you've recently done some drastic changes to your diet (less than a month ago or something like that?) there's a very large chance it will make your body act all kinds of weird for a period while it adopts to it.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Return to “General”