How do you think the world is doing?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

FrancisDrake

How do you think the world is doing?

Postby FrancisDrake » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:55 pm UTC

I decided to make a thread where people can say one thing they like about the world, one thing that is wrong with the world, and solutions to said problem. Also, anyone is free to create solutions to any of the problems mentioned.

I like that their is always going to be something new to learn. However, I don't like how most main stream clothing is made from cheap stitching and cheap materials, not to mention the lurking feeling that they could have been made by children or cheaply paid workers. Also, I don't like how many skaters have sold out by starting brands that make people feel less of a skater if they don't buy their shoes or boards. All in all, I would have to sum this entire rant up into the clothing industries' methods of success; psychology, (Thanks Watson,) and cheap materials made by under paid workers.

I think if everyone demanded quality clothing made by well paid workers, and if the companies supplying the clothing focused their ads more on the specifications of their product and not on psychology, we could start making something cool happen.
"What I thought I'd do was, I thought I'd pretend to be one of those deaf mutes"-J.D. Salinger

Jorpho

Re: How do you think the world is doing?

Postby Jorpho » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:15 am UTC

FrancisDrake wrote:and if the companies supplying the clothing focused their ads more on the specifications of their product and not on psychology
Sir, there is no reason why the companies would do something that would decrease their sales and make them less money, especially if their competitors decided not to do so.

And that, in a sense, is what is wrong with the world.

Proginoskes

Postby Proginoskes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:43 am UTC

I think the world is doing fine.

The people may be in trouble, though.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:34 am UTC

Proginoskes wrote:I think the world is doing fine.

Say, aren't we overdue for a major asteroid collision?
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:

We're overdue for any number of events that would alter or destroy civilization.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

I thought most of the major (moon-forming) objects have already collided or were tossed out of orbit. The Earth will keep spinning.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:06 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:

That's not how statistics work. You can't be overdue for a random event. If you could, they wouldn't be random.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:00 pm UTC

Psh, that's just what they want you to believe.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
thicknavyrain wrote:

That's not how statistics work. You can't be overdue for a random event. If you could, they wouldn't be random.

Next you're going to tell me that there's no law of averages.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

FrancisDrake

Postby FrancisDrake » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:00 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
FrancisDrake wrote:and if the companies supplying the clothing focused their ads more on the specifications of their product and not on psychology
Sir, there is no reason why the companies would do something that would decrease their sales and make them less money, especially if their competitors decided not to do so.

And that, in a sense, is what is wrong with the world.

I know, but all we need is one company to kill the market with quality and truth.
"What I thought I'd do was, I thought I'd pretend to be one of those deaf mutes"-J.D. Salinger

Proginoskes

Postby Proginoskes » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:14 am UTC

Garm wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:
thicknavyrain wrote:

Next you're going to tell me that there's no law of averages.

Nope, there's no law; it's just a good idea.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:08 am UTC

I think the problem can be summed up pretty simply: limited resources, unlimited wants.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:15 am UTC

IcedT wrote:I think the problem can be summed up pretty simply: limited resources, unlimited wants.

Hmm, I think "unlimited wants" gets oversold. It's often posited as a universal, all-overriding human trait, while in practice most historic societies do a somewhat workable job at managing demands to achievable levels. For example by channeling status competitions away from conspicuous consumption, by envisioning history as a constant, by giving high and ritualized importance to crucial resources, by encouraging leisure as response to good times, by using gifts and sharing as major forms of trade.

We just happen to live in societies with a recent history of material expansion, and as a result we're not very good at moderating demands. We know that we acquire lots of stuff that isn't really improving our lives, we're just not very good at turning that knowledge into an actual lack of desire for that stuff. We also acquire stuff that is truly life-improving, so we have found it easier to make more of everything, instead trying to separate the wheat from the chaff in advance.

In particular, we have a deeply embedded expectation of material improvement from generation to generation. Parents want to their children to have more than they had, and that shapes their children's expectations of a normal life. But this is partially a Red Queen's race: you have to keep improving to stay at the same place. At every generation the people who own and consume more stuff have less stress, better health, higher reported life satisfaction, a more positive outlook on the world, more sense of control over their lives. But when everbody gets more stuff, the levels required for those good things tend to shift upwards as well.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:30 pm UTC

FrancisDrake wrote:I know, but all we need is one company to kill the market with quality and truth.
"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." —H. L. Mencken

Spoiler:
Bah, people can't seem to agree if the quote is "intelligence" or "taste".

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:33 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
FrancisDrake wrote:I know, but all we need is one company to kill the market with quality and truth.
"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." —H. L. Mencken

Spoiler:
Bah, people can't seem to agree if the quote is "intelligence" or "taste".

…it works either way.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Return to “General”