Boy Thread: put a hat on ur butt

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:14 pm UTC

Will wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:but here in BC we do have a very high Asian population, and a large number of really, really good Asian restaraunts.

It does help that you're right next to an ocean, too. I did go to a sushi place when I was in Vancouver over the summer, and it was pretty decent. Not amazing, but decent. I was sad I didn't have more time to explore Vancouver, it's an amazing city.

Well, you have about 9,000 sushi joints there, it takes time to find the best. A friend of ours (last name Lui ;) ) takes us out to the best restaraunts while we're there. Oh me yarm, I never thought bamboo could taste that good!!!

TiberiusM

Postby TiberiusM » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:19 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote: Stuff. A friend of ours (last name Lui ;) ) takes us out to the best restaraunts while we're there. Oh me yarm, I never thought bamboo could taste that good!!!

Are you a panda?

I never knew bamboo was served as a dish. That must mean that the entire House of Flying Daggers scene in the forest was actually one big food fight.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:23 pm UTC

Last edited by Mighty Jalapeno on Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:23 pm UTC

Bamboo sprouts are a very common vegetable in Asian cooking. You don't eat grown bamboo--it'd be like eating hardwood. Bamboo sprouts are generally harvested within a few hours of sprouting, while they're still soft. They still have a sort of woody texture to them, but they're absolutely delicious.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:26 pm UTC

you know what's real good?

water chestnuts
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:41 pm UTC

Oh, so long as we're comparing ages, I was 20, she was 17.

I probably could have done it four or five years earlier were I not completely socially inept until I graduated high school and realized a couple of key facts about social interaction.. mostly, no matter how bad it goes, you can just move on and forget about it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:42 pm UTC

Ooh Phenriz, something food-related we can agree on! Yes, water chestnuts are delicious. Whenever I am able, I really load up on these. The last chance I had to do this was at FiRE + iCE. For any of you Boston-area folk who have not yet been, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

I am still waiting for that bus...
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:43 pm UTC

Phenriz wrote:you know what's real good?

water chestnuts

Eat eat them wrapped in bacon. How many man points and/or internets do I win?
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

1/2 of a man point, a whole man point would have been awarded if you just said eating water chestnuts, because being a man implies eating everything with bacon.

it's so ingrained in out manliness that (X) = man food. where X is (a+bacon) a= anything that is not bacon.

bacon is thus implied in everything we eat.

eating some chocolate? it'd better have bacon on, or in it. otherwise no man-points are awarded.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:58 pm UTC

I was 17, she was 18. Though if we would have waited a week we would have both been 18.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:59 pm UTC

vosges haut chocolate

Bacon Exotic Candy Bar - New

Applewood smoked bacon + Alder smoked salt + deep milk chocolate

Deep milk chocolate coats your mouth and leads to the crunch of smoked bacon pieces. Surprise your mouth with the smoked salt and sweet milk chocolate combination.

Crisp, buttery, compulsively irresistible bacon and milk chocolate combination has long been a favorite of mine. I started playing with this combination at the tender age of six while eating chocolate chip pancakes drenched in maple syrup. Beside my chocolate-laden cakes laid three strips of fried bacon, just barely touching a sweet pool of maple syrup. Just a bite of the bacon was too salty and yearned for the sweet kiss of chocolate syrup. In retrospect, perhaps this was a turning point, for on that plate something magical happened: the beginnings of a combination so ethereal and delicious that it would haunt my thoughts until I found the medium to express it--chocolate.
--Katrina
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

TiberiusM

Postby TiberiusM » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:09 pm UTC

Phenriz wrote:1/2 of a man point, a whole man point would have been awarded if you just said eating water chestnuts, because being a man implies eating everything with bacon.

it's so ingrained in out manliness that (X) = man food. where X is (a+bacon) a= anything that is not bacon.

eating some chocolate? it'd better have bacon on, or in it. otherwise no man-points are awarded.

I so no reason to not have bacon-wrapped bacon. Say, some hickory smoked bacon strips wrapped around a nice slice of canadian bacon. Or vice versa. Sounds savory good to me.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:12 pm UTC

TiberiusM wrote:
Phenriz wrote:1/2 of a man point, a whole man point would have been awarded if you just said eating water chestnuts, because being a man implies eating everything with bacon.

I so no reason to not have bacon-wrapped bacon. Say, some hickory smoked bacon strips wrapped around a nice slice of canadian bacon. Or vice versa. Sounds savory good to me.

It sounds like the best tasting heart attack imagineable. The only way to make it better would be to surround the outer shell with some overly crispy bacon to give the entire thing some crunch while still maintaining the soft and tender texture.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."

-Charles Robert

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:24 pm UTC

hendusoone wrote:FiRE + iCE. For any of you Boston-area folk who have not yet been, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

Uhhh I dunno, I guess I'm waiting for someone to take me there and pay for me? I've never been. But hey, if you want to take me there I'll go.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:30 pm UTC

That Fire and Ice place looks pretty good.

There was a new bar and grill that just opened up near my place. A friend of mine was in from out of town and we decided to check it out. They had a great selection of beer on tap as well they had burgers on special since it was Monday night.

I order one called a Black and Blue, it had hickory bacon, cajun mustard and blue cheese. It was one of the best burgers I had ever had. Plus they served Rickards White Ale and they actually brought orange slices out. I was very impressed. For a pitcher of beer and 2 burgers it was like $25. Anyone every come by Regina, SK I suggest checking out Rock Creek.

-Charles Robert

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:49 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:
hendusoone wrote:FiRE + iCE. For any of you Boston-area folk who have not yet been, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

Uhhh I dunno, I guess I'm waiting for someone to take me there and pay for me? I've never been. But hey, if you want to take me there I'll go.

Dinner there Meaux? In H^2?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:50 pm UTC

@catproximity: You are my hero and new bacon-lord, i bow to thee.

Wilibus wrote:For a pitcher of beer and 2 burgers it was like $25. Anyone every come by Regina, SK I suggest checking out Rock Creek.

next time i make a road trip around 1,824 miles one way i'll be sure to swing by your neck of the continent ;)

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:51 pm UTC

Phenriz wrote:
Wilibus wrote:For a pitcher of beer and 2 burgers it was like $25. Anyone every come by Regina, SK I suggest checking out Rock Creek.

next time i make a road trip around 1,824 miles one way i'll be sure to swing by your neck of the continent ;)

If you ever make it here I'll buy.

-Charles Robert

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:51 pm UTC

Phenriz wrote:@catproximity: You are my hero and new bacon-lord, i bow to thee.

Thank you Phenriz. You're not coming to the meet up?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:00 pm UTC

Oh god if people are going to Fire and Ice tonight I AM COMING even though I shouldn't. I love that place but need an excuse to go, especially when I can't strictly speaking afford the expense. I will go anyway. Are we going?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:01 pm UTC

i'd love to, however i live in houston, and don't have the funds to splurge for a solo-man roadtrip of that magnitude atm.

i'd love to go.

too bad there isn't a contingent of texas XKCDers roadtripping to the september meetup. :/

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:07 pm UTC

I would road trip with you if I weren't already 40 hours behind on PTO : (
eristic wrote:
Clerria wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:08 pm UTC

Clerria wrote:I would road trip with you if I weren't already 40 hours behind on PTO : (

*sad panda face*

another thought, too bad there weren't enough texas xkcders to warrant a proxy meetup ;)

also note, i'd drive but i'm very good at getting lost then brushing it off as an excuse to "get to know the area".

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:10 pm UTC

I think there's like 3-5 active people I've noticed. That's enough to warrant a drunken proxy fest of doom at a local bar.

Not that I support drunken proxy fests of doom.

Not that I don't.
eristic wrote:

'maybe'

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:12 pm UTC

i'm down like a clown, and only been to dallas a handful of times, never been to austin. i'm good to go for san antonio as well (slightly more familiar with that area)

if there's a drunken proxy fest to be had, i want in.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:15 pm UTC

Oy. I am currently debating with myself about going to F&I tonight... an hour-ish (plus traffic) drive to Alewife, then the T in to Harvard Square (assuming that location is the chosen one). Meaning the earliest I could probably get there is 7, assuming traffic is not too bad. This is also assuming I overcome my reservations about going to dinner with internet people who know each other far better than I know any of them.

Why don't we just save it for meetup weekend? Or is that already going to be too busy?
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:18 pm UTC

I'm totally starting the drunken proxy fest thread
eristic wrote:

'maybe'

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

Clerria wrote:I'm totally starting the drunken proxy fest thread

too late done ;)

check the september meetup forum.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:22 pm UTC

We could do a pre-meetup dinner for area people at Fire and Ice some time next week. And PLAN. Muhahaha! Or not; this whole thing is getting incredibly complex. Anyway I talked a bit with Cat and I dunno if Fire and Ice will happen tonight, specially with the rain. Spontaneity is all well and good, but this place is worth a bit of advance notice. I am such a fanboy. I'm totally going to raise everyone's expectations and they will be disappointed with the reality. :(
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:44 pm UTC

I really want to go, I've never been, and I live like a 6ish minute walk from there! Just no Monday or Tuesday nights plz...I have class :(
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:16 pm UTC

Eh, I have a bunch of friends who lost it at 14/15ish. Not so strange, then again my friends might just be (man)whores. I live right next to the greatest sushi place, I eat there as much as I can. Unfortunately it is also like the only sushi place. :D / :(
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:18 pm UTC

Austin = Pretty decent sushi, along with pretty subpar sushi. I love that there is such a variety of food here, and most of it is pretty good quality if you know where to go. I could eat Thai food every day....
eristic wrote:

'maybe'

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:19 pm UTC

Clerria wrote:I could eat Thai food every day....

you don't already?

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:21 pm UTC

Well I had it today, but not yesterday.
eristic wrote:

'maybe'

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

sounds good, wish i did, tunafish sanguich for lunch today.

yay.....

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:05 am UTC

What makes a girly drink girly?

I say that if it has an umbrella in it, that's one umbrella too many.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:06 am UTC

Okita wrote:What makes a girly drink girly?

How about plastic swords?

*retreats back to girl thread*
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

hack124x768

Postby hack124x768 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:37 am UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:
Okita wrote:What makes a girly drink girly?

How about plastic swords?

*retreats back to girl thread*

Dude, swords are SO manly. However one thing is for sure, Man drinks are for drinking. Girl drinks are looking good drinking. If it is decorated at all, you either need to be a woman, or filthy rich.
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:43 am UTC

No, man drinks are for getting drunk and torturing yourself. Girly drinks are for actually tasting good.

At least in my experience.

Except the rum and coke. That's just delicious.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:57 am UTC

Tonight I openly rejected girly drinks and regretted it. Go with what tastes good to you.

I usually try to be manly and order whatever is super awesome, like a straight shot of whiskey or a dirty straight martini, or just beer.

But what I really wanted was a fizzy sweet grapefruit flavored something with alcohol in it that I couldn't taste.

Sigh.
eristic wrote:

'maybe'

Return to “General”