Wear-XKCD-Day

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

foolscap

Wear-XKCD-Day

Postby foolscap » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:17 am UTC

Hey all,

So, after being ridiculously impressed and touched by Friday's comic (http://xkcd.com/c289.html), And after hearing, on that thread, that there were a couple of folks who'd also like to know who around them reads XKCD, I think we should come up with a Wear-XKCD day.

I'd like to go with the 13th of the month, if it's a monthly thing. Personally Friday 13th wouldn't happen often enough [a lot like Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings =) ].

What does everyone (who reads this, anyway) think?

F
"Cease, Man, to mourn, to weep, to wail; enjoy thy shining hour of sun. We dance along Death's icy brink, but is the dance less full of fun?" -Sir R. F. Burton, The Kasidah of Haji Abdu El Yezdi.

ccromwell

Postby ccromwell » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:36 am UTC

I'm not quite sure I understand just what you mean by 'wear xkcd.' Like, wear a t-shirt from the store so that xcdians the world over can identify each other? If that is the idea, then remember that the probability that the entire readership reads these fora is pretty low; there will always be forum lurkers and people who read the comic while being blissfully unaware of the fora.

Maybe I'm making a bunch of wild assumptions here, though, and I just don't understand what you're getting at here.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:38 am UTC

I like the idea. And even if most XKCD-ans (XKCD-ers?) don't go on the fora, it still gives those who do more of a chance of meeting each other. I also like the idea of having it on, for instance, the 13 rather than something like the third Saturday, because people go different places on different days of the week, hopefully increasing the chances of meeting more XKCD-er-ans.

Unfortunately I don't actually own an XKCD shirt. =( *might have to buy one now*

Also HOMG I'm not the only person who calls them fora!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:41 am UTC

13th of every month isn't sufficiently nerdy to be a wear-XKCD-day. We need dates like March 14th and October 24th.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:45 am UTC

Those only come twice a year, though. Also, what's October 24th? October 23rd is Mole Day, right?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:49 am UTC

It's 1024. I know those only come once a year each; help me think of some more nerdy numbers that fit in date format.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

shill

Postby shill » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:49 am UTC

Darcey wrote:Also, what's October 24th?

It's 2^10 :)

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:02 am UTC

I'm very disappointed, that I missed 1337 day (it was the thirteenth of march, this year, 13/3/7, which doesn't make much sense). We had planned to screw with certain things to make Google's image be a special "International Marxism/Leninism" day (we made it up) logo at school but we didn't get things running in time. The next one is the first of March, 2037. I've got it marked in my calendar!

foolscap

Postby foolscap » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:43 am UTC

ccromwell wrote:I'm not quite sure I understand just what you mean by 'wear xkcd.' Like, wear a t-shirt from the store so that xcdians the world over can identify each other? If that is the idea, then remember that the probability that the entire readership reads these fora is pretty low; there will always be forum lurkers and people who read the comic while being blissfully unaware of the fora.

Maybe I'm making a bunch of wild assumptions here, though, and I just don't understand what you're getting at here.

I could have been clearer... What I'm trying to get at is, it sound like there are a good few people on these forums/fora that might actually get along in person. Facilitating our meeting couldn't be a bad thing, methinks...

Since I'm not altruistic, on a personal note, I'd just like to see how many people around me know what XKCD is, read the forums, and who they are. It may be a sweeping generalization, but perhaps folks who find XKCD funny, cute, adorable and smart, may see these qualities in like-minded people.

Bakemaster wrote:13th of every month isn't sufficiently nerdy to be a wear-XKCD-day. We need dates like March 14th and October 24th.

This is true... perhaps something more dynamic, that requires more thinking... Something along the lines of dates that can be read as pi (March 14th)? But then we run into the 'it doesn't happen often enough' problem. Any other ideas?

And, it's high time I bought an XKCD shirt... I'm leaning to the No Raptors one; not a big fan of text on shirts... keeping the Paleo students away would be an added bonus! (kidding, I'm no better; geology student)

F
"Cease, Man, to mourn, to weep, to wail; enjoy thy shining hour of sun. We dance along Death's icy brink, but is the dance less full of fun?" -Sir R. F. Burton, The Kasidah of Haji Abdu El Yezdi.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:13 am UTC

What's nerdy about October 24th?

MordorIsBad

Postby MordorIsBad » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:38 pm UTC

Specifically that it's 2^10 and it's use in computers(It's a kilobyte).

Return to “General”