Hilarious Encounters With Celebs

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jillton

Hilarious Encounters With Celebs

Postby jillton » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:57 am UTC

So I shared my meeting with Joff from GoT in the films and TV shows section... I was wondering if anyone else on here has any hilarious celeb encounters?

The idea of this is not to name-drop or show off about how cool you are, but if you made a tool of yourself in front of your idol I wanna know about it!!

My favourite story ever is about my best friend. A few years ago he was waiting for a bus and saw this groovy looking couple walking along. As they passed by he realised that it was Rodrigo y Gabriella who were playing here around the time. He was tempted to say something, but was too nervous and chickened out. After they'd walked on a few feet he shouted after them "I think you're cool". They did not respond. I laugh so hard every time I think about it!

When I was 14/15 Damien Rice was the most important thing in my life. O was, as far as I was concerned, the greatest album ever made yada yada yada. I got tickets to see him play an underage show. I was in the queue with my friend, when he walked out and along the queue. Everyone stopped what they were doing and chased after him. He was chatting with a few people and taking pictures and signing things. Soon it was my turn for a photo with him. I really cannot put into words the level of fandom I had for this guy. Not quite fainting at a Beatles concert in the 60s, but not far from it either. Basically I was crazy nervous and didn't know what to say and just... starstruck. He put his hand out to shake mine and I kind of whispered "I... Love... You". My friend who was with me has never let me live that one down.

So yep! Go!! Share!!
"you get sloppy drunk, I stay whiskey neat"

Zarq

Re: Hilarious Encounters With Celebs

Postby Zarq » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:12 am UTC

I've never met anyone even remotely famous, not even Belgian. I've seen Tom Felton, Dina Meyer and Kenny Baker from afar at a convention, but that's about it.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

jillton

Postby jillton » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:44 am UTC

That's cool.

I guess Dublin is such a small city it's not too difficult.

Although Rufus Wainwright walked past me on my street in Paris...

Evengeduld

Postby Evengeduld » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:54 am UTC

Well the entercounter itself wasn't that hilarious the aftermath was funny for some other people though:

I do athletics and I had bought new spikes for the summer season because my old ones where falling appart. During the first training with them (the training where you will lose the fight with gravity at least once) I saw the Belgian 4*100 women team training which was not that uncomon because I happen to train on a good track.
Now after my second or third 200m training run I was finishing and running out and I would have passed the ladies at reasonable speed and be able to avoid them. As they where discussing something with their trainer right behind the finish line. However fate decided now would be a good time to fall over my own feet. So I fell and took down both Frauke Penen and Hanne Mariën in my fall.
So I got to say Hi to Frauke Penen, Hanne Mariën, Kim Gevaert, Elodie Ouedraogo and Rudi Diels while laying on my back and Frauke sitting on top of me.

A year later I got into University and started studying P.E. in Leuven. Rudi Diels however happened to teach Athletics there and in his first lesson he always teaches about the point of running spikes and the fact that you will trip a few times if you are not used to them and since he recognised me as the one taking down half of the 4*100 team I became prime example of what could happen. The next day I was known as the guy who took down the 4*100 team. About 450 other students refered to me as Crash Test Dummy for the next few weeks...
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:09 pm UTC

I met James Early Jones at LAX. Alec Baldwin ran over my feet with his wheelie suitcase at the Denver airport. The lead singer from Low Millions gave me a hug because I didn't want to take his picture?
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:21 pm UTC

I remember a story but not the source sadly. Might have been on these very same forums!

Anyway, someone and his/her friend were lunching at a restaurant, sitting outside. They had ordered fries, and were enjoying those on the very same moment that a famous celebrity passed by. I don't know which, but oh well. Said celebrity paused his pace, and in one fluid movement bend over and grabbed a fry from someone's plate. The celebrity looked him in the eyes, and whispered, 'No one will believe you', then resumed his way.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:28 pm UTC

At a Bruce Campbell book signing Q&A session

Fan : They put out a Evil Dead DVD, an Evil Dead Special Edition, Evil Dead Directors Cut, Evil Dead Chainsaw edition, Evil Dead Classic Cut, and Evil Dead No Damn Good Reason New Edition. When are they going to stop putting out new editions of it?
Bruce : When you idiots stop buying them.

<3
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:28 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:I remember a story but not the source sadly. Might have been on these very same forums!

Anyway, someone and his/her friend were lunching at a restaurant, sitting outside. They had ordered fries, and were enjoying those on the very same moment that a famous celebrity passed by. I don't know which, but oh well. Said celebrity paused his pace, and in one fluid movement bend over and grabbed a fry from someone's plate. The celebrity looked him in the eyes, and whispered, 'No one will believe you', then resumed his way.

Bill Murray. It's always Bill Murray in that story.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:38 pm UTC

Probably because he has a habit of turning up unexpectedly. I like #4, where he goes to a college party and... does the dishes.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:34 pm UTC

Not particularly hilarious, but months later this almost encounter still amuses me.

My wife & I were in LA for a short vacation and we went to see a couple shows at the Upright Citizen's Brigade. At the second show as we were waiting for it to start this guy walks in front of where we were sitting towards another seating section. I thought, "wow, he looks really familiar. Kind of looks like the guy on Reaper."

I let it pass for a few minutes, then looked over to where he was sitting and I should couldn't avoid it. It looked an awful lot like the dude, so I mentioned it to my wife. Of course, it's kind of dark in the theater now so she couldn't get a good look at him. Maybe it looked like him? Hard to say. So the show starts, we have a good time. We both occasionally look over to him and there's certainly a similarity there.

Finally when the show ends we get another look at him as he leaves and she says "Oh, yeah. That's totally him. That's totally Tyler Labine. Think we should say hi or something?"

"I dunno, I'd feel weird just going up to him. And he was obviously trying to get in and out quick. If he doesn't want attention I don't want to bother him, you know?"

"Yeah, but he also seems like the kind of guy that wouldn't mind to much if we just said hey, we're fans and loved you on Reaper."

In the end we chickened out and just left. On the way back to the hotel I was checking him out on imdb because I was trying to remember what else he'd done. That's when I found out that, yes, while it was the guy from Reaper we were thinking of, it was totally the wrong name. Bret Harrison not Tyler Labine. At that point we were kind of relieved we didn't say anything to him, because it would've been super embarrassing to be like "Hey, Tyler, we're big fans!"

Oops
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

lucrezaborgia

Postby lucrezaborgia » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:42 pm UTC

RuPaul came though my register buying smokes. We laughed about cancer and I told him about how my grandma smoke until the day she died and that she was such a bitch that no one was upset about it. He replied: "Yeah my mom is an evil bitch too!"

jillton

Postby jillton » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:59 pm UTC

This is one that happened to my sister.

She used to travel a lot for work (works for an Irish/American company), and had taken some time off from work while in the states to hang out with a good friend of hers. Said friend is Irish, not really famous himself (but kind of), but knows a lot of REALLY famous people.

So they're out for dinner when her friend says "Oh, my friend Olly just walked in.." He called him over, Olly was there on his own, so sat with them for dinner. They were just chatting and having a nice time when my sister couldn't hold it in any longer. She looked Olly dead in the eyes and said "Y'know... You look *really* like Orlando Bloom..." Olly laughed and said "Well, that's because I am Orlando Bloom". My sister, thinking this guy was taking the piss then said "No, no, no in all seriousness you do look really like him, you could get work as a look-alike!" He informed her once again that he was in fact the real deal Orlando Bloom.

I might add that this was at the height of the LoTR film madness, and the peak of my love for Legolas. I was about 14. You can imagine how much I hated her when she came home and told me that one...

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:39 am UTC

I don't remember this much myself, but when I was three years old my parents and I met Pavarotti... somewhere in Italy... I'm not sure about the details. He was signing autographs and when I went up to him he noticed that I didn't speak any Italian, so he asked me where I was from. I told him the name of the tiny Italian village in the middle of nowhere I lived in at the time, and he laughed because he though I made it up. :D

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:37 pm UTC

It was 1999, I had gone with a couple of friends to see The Who at Sheperd's Bush Empire in London, 2 nights in a row, front row both nights. My 2nd and 3rd Who concerts to be exact (many more would follow). One of my friends hadn't seen them before and on the first night, he was front row, right in front of Pete Townshend, who smashed his guitar. So my friend manages to grab a pretty big chunk of it.

After the show, we're milling about outside and Pete Townshend comes out to go back home. So some people go up to him to get autographs and stuff, and my friend is standing right in front of me. So I think to myself: "great, I'll just let [friend] talk to Pete for a bit and when he's done I shove him aside and then I get to meet my hero". But my friend takes out his chunk of guitar and asks Pete to sign it, despite Pete being known for absolutely not doing that. So Pete goes: "No, I'm not going to do that", dashes off, gets into a taxi and is gone before we realize what's going on.

I laugh at it now, wasn't so funny back then.
Quack!

jillton

Postby jillton » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:26 am UTC

Oh no!

Evilduckie that's heart-breaking!!!

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:35 pm UTC

jillton wrote:Evilduckie that's heart-breaking!!!

I've learned to cope. Funny enough I never had a second opportunity to meet Pete so far. Did get to shake hands with some other band members over time.
Quack!

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:34 pm UTC

somewhere around 2001-2002 i spent new years eve in new orleans. we went to this neat bar on top of some building that rotates. i got EXTREMELY drunk (EXTREMELY). when we went to get on the elevator to leave i saw a familiar face. it was Trichelle from the MTV "reality" show "The Real World". i asked her what she was doing, as she looked somewhat confused (seems to be a permanent defect) to which she replied "all my friends left me, i'm trying to find them". i responded with "those bitches" (probably), which she heard as "probably because you're a fucking psycho-she-beast-bitch-fuck-ass-donkey-cock" (or so i assume based on her reaction). she went into a rage and started flailing and trying to fight me. my wife and friends grabbed me and pulled me into the elevator. i was quite confused as to what had happened. while walking out of the building we saw "the miz", who she was dating at the time. i shook his meathead hand and told him is girlfriend was upstairs looking for him.....then i don't remember anything else about the evening.

also, when in london in 2005, i saw David Hasselhoff walking down Knightrider street in london.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

iChef

Postby iChef » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:41 pm UTC

Back in about 1998 I went to a music festival. The bands playing were Ben Harper, Barenaked Ladies, Alana Davis, Blues Traveler and a couple smaller acts. At about 2 in the afternoon my friend Ben and I went to go stand in a massive line to get burritos. Ben is a HUGE Blues Traveler fan and seeing them was the main reason we were at the show. While standing in line I notice Ben staring at the guy in front of us. He touches my shoulder and goes "I think that's Brendan Hill" (the drummer for Blues Traveler). Brendan heard us talking and turned around. Ben starts fanboying out (not too bad) and Brendan talks to us for a while during the 40 minutes or so we had to wait in the burrito line (it was worth it). We were both seniors in high school at the time and meeting someone from Blues Traveler was already the highlight of our year. By the time we got to the front Brendan bought us each a full lunch (I tried to pay myself but he was having none of that). So we each got a huge burrito, chips and a soda. We went to say bye to Brendan and go find somewhere to eat, but after looking around for a second we saw the few picnic tables they had out were crammed full of people and trash. I am wandering away a bit and I look back to Ben who starts frantically waving me back. Brendan offered to take us to the artists area so we would have a table to eat on and he said it was cool if we ate lunch with him!!! Ben is nearly having a heart attack. We went back, Brendan explained to security who we were and they gave us each a backstage pass. We ate lunch with Brendan and got to meet the rest of Blues Traveler. Ben got a T-shirt signed and I got a CD I had bought signed. We also got to meet Ben Harper (I really didn't know who he was at the time, I think the festival was the first time I had heard his music, but he was super cool.

That was the best concert experience I had ever had. After lunch we had to hand our passes back, but we had got to meet everyone in Blues Traveler and Ben Harper. Plus we got to hang out with Brendan Hill for a couple hours, who is the nicest and coolest guy I have ever met. I still can't believe he took the time to have lunch with a couple high school kids, even bought it for us and went backstage to eat. I think it was probably because John Popper is the face of the band and the other members don't get recognized so I got the feeling Brendan thought it was really cool that we were big enough fans to notice him without the rest of the band. I guess this isn't really hilarious, but I want to get word out that Blues Traveler really takes care of their fans and Brendan Hill is the nicest, coolest musician ever.

I got a slightly more hilarious story about meeting the guitar player for Cheap Trick with my dad, but I'll save that for later after I get out of work and also so I am not bombing you guys with huge text walls
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

Dr.Buck

Postby Dr.Buck » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:20 pm UTC

Not really hilarious, per-sé, but it was rather amusing (and awesome!) at the time....

Many years ago now, was at Leeds Festival (think it was 2002), queueing up to go in one of those bungee-ball things.

Andrew WK (of "Party Hard" fame) joined the queue behind us, going on about hos crazy these rides were, how it was mad that he was going on it. I turned round and told him that it wasn't so bad, really, if he was that worried he should have a quick beer or two first as the queue was rather long. He muttered something to one of his accompanying people and five minutes later, said person returned with two beers for Mr. WK, two beers for me and two beers for my mate queueing with me. :D

In short, Andrew WK bought me two beers! :mrgreen:

The ride was pretty cool, too.

Socks

Postby Socks » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:55 pm UTC

I was in a restaurant and the server told us that the singer of ACDC was at the bar. I quickly Googled his picture, then said, "Hi Brian Johnson!" while looking at him. The guy I'm looking at doesn't respond, but down the bar a ways a guy is signing autographs. I was too embarrassed to actually say hi to the real one.

jillton

Postby jillton » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:13 pm UTC

@ichef - that's an awesome story!! I love hearing things like that about famous people being really cool.

In 2006 Arcade Fire were playing a show in Dublin. I went online to get tickets but to no avail, it sold out in under a minute. Because the show was booked before they exploded everywhere and became huge it was in a small enough venue (googled, capacity is 1,300). Anyway, it turns out that the ticket company messed up, instead of allocating a minimum of 3 tickets per person, it was 30 tickets per person. So louds of scummy touts got tickets.

A group of my mates got tickets and on the day said I should pop down and see if anyone had a spare ticket they'd be willing to sell me. One guy had a ticket he was going to give me at face value, when I asked if he was certain his friend wouldn't be there he said it was his ticket, and he only got the ticket because a friend said they were good and clearly I was an actual fan and I could have his ticket. I said no 'cause I would be asking for mega bad karma taking someone's ticket from them... A lovely lovely guy in the queue behind me started a fund to get me a ticket and a few people said they'd donate money towards it (horrid touts were selling them for €100 instead of the €25 actual price). Anyway. Doors opened and people were heading in, one girl came up to me and said a few of them had just gone out for dinner and if I hung out at the stage entrance I might get to meet them.

So I was hanging around the stage door with 2 or 3 other people when Win Butler rocked out with a coffee in his hand, and he was all "oh hai guys, what's going on?" So we explained the ticket thing and he told us that they'd heard and were really annoyed but couldn't do anything about it. So after a few minutes he just said "come on in" so in went and he chatted with us for ages and took pictures and signed stuff and was just a lovely person to all of us, and then in we walked to watch the show! Which was incredible and is in my top 5 gigs I've been to.

Afterwards they all came outside and hung out with fans and all that stuff. Nicest band ever =)

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:14 pm UTC

Not sure how much of a celebrity Max Brooks is but he came to my university to talk about his zombie survival guide book. He is quite the performer and comedian on stage, he very much so humiliated some of the people who asked questions. But afterwards when those people got autographs from him they were very cool about it and not upset. Brooks is super nice offstage. He stayed for two hours + signing books, taking pictures and talking with the fans. He even took a picture or two with my dismember me plush zombie.

Not sure if this actually counts as a hilarious encounter.. I just got to be "crowd control/body guard".
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Return to “General”