XKCD Knitters Untie!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Weasel

XKCD Knitters Untie!

Postby Weasel » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:47 am UTC

I saw at least two other people mention that they knit, so I figure a thread would be good.

How many people out here knit? For how long? What have you made? Um... *insert other knitting-related questions here*

My friend taught me how to knit a few months ago. So I went out and bought my own knitting needles, and some cheap yarn. I made a VERY BADLY MADE scarf (my friend had problems with losing stitches, so I got paranoid and kept finding extra stitches and ended up going from 20 stitches to like 55 stitches).

But I got the basics down via that fiasco (I love the scarf though. It fits me <3 ) and have started two other scarves.

A thin, blue one, that is 2 inch wide and almost 5 feet long so far (for my boyfriend).
And a black and yellow one that I finished in two days. It was suppose to be twice the length it ended up being, because I didn't realize how not a lot of yarn I had. I gave it to my best friend's little brother. (amusing story: when I ran out of the black yarn, at first I thought the yarn was crap and had been cut or something and spent 5 minutes trying to find the missing ball of yarn before I realized I had simply ran out).

I only knit at the moment. I tried pearling a bit, but I never get it right and end up having to undo it out of the projects I've worked on. =(

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:58 am UTC

I can knit one row, perl one row, but that's about as complicated as I can manage. For some reason I always seem to pull the wool far too tight and as such the stitches are so tiny that I have trouble doing anything other than knit or perl them in the direction they were already going.

I want to try knitting a jumper, but the pattern I have is written in a knitting cypher and I'm not 100% on deciphering such patterns yet :)
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:06 am UTC

I knit. Being an engineer I tend to knit thing based on complexity rather than utility. Also, being a guy makes it hard to knit for yourself. So I usually knit something for a female friend and take commissions.

The last thing I knit was a double knit scarf/neck warmer (it's not really thick enough to be a scarf). I had to learn to knit right and left handed simultaneously. I wish I had learned when I tried fair isle ... :-/

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:16 am UTC

um...i totally read "xkcd knitters untie" the first time. weird. :D
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

Weasel

Postby Weasel » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:10 am UTC

It does say Untie. I was trying to be punny =X

I wish I knew local knitters to get pointers from. I've looked at videos and books and stuff, but that's just not the same as someone looking over your shoulder and going "You're doing it all wrong!"

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:08 pm UTC

[spolit] My mummy knits for me! She finished my newest scarf just now. [/spoilt]

One really easy thing to get into if you like to knit, if you are in Sydney at least, is the ABC Knit-in, where you send in squares and people sew them together and make blankets and things for people in need. I imagine that there are projects like this going on in all sorts of places.

foolscap

Postby foolscap » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:07 pm UTC

I can knit, kinda... I'm ~20cm into my first scarf, after over a year... That's what school does to you, gets in the way of everything!

But, I'd eventually like to knit a Mobius strip scarf for myself... that's why I started, actually...

F
"Cease, Man, to mourn, to weep, to wail; enjoy thy shining hour of sun. We dance along Death's icy brink, but is the dance less full of fun?" -Sir R. F. Burton, The Kasidah of Haji Abdu El Yezdi.

NinjaSimon

Postby NinjaSimon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:15 pm UTC

I knit :D .
Quite well as well. I've been knitting gloves lately, according to a pattern I got at Knitty.com. Using 2 circular needles.
You are reading my signature.

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:55 pm UTC

I've thought about knitting before, but I had this daydream about knitting socks instead of sleeping to the point where I was sitting on a pile of them, kind of like a throne made out of knitted socks, knitting socks.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:05 pm UTC

I'm a knitter! Right now I'm working on making an elephant toy for a coworker's baby girl. It's the most complicated project I've done yet.

I have the books Stitch'n'Bitch and Last Minute Knitted Gifts (which is kind of a misnomer; I think they timed the projects using speed knitters). The elephant is out of the second book, as are most of the projects I've done. I haven't been brave enough to a fitted garment yet, just scarves, hats, potholders, and toys so far.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:06 pm UTC

I'm currently working on a scarf. It is not very pretty.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:18 am UTC

hermaj wrote:[spolit] My mummy knits for me! She finished my newest scarf just now. [/spoilt]

One really easy thing to get into if you like to knit, if you are in Sydney at least, is the ABC Knit-in, where you send in squares and people sew them together and make blankets and things for people in need. I imagine that there are projects like this going on in all sorts of places.

If you are in Sydney there is a group that meets in Hart's Pub (near Circular Quay) alternate Monday nights. The next meet is the 23rd.

While I am between projects I mostly go there to drink ... heh

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:03 am UTC

My wife can knit Klein bottle touques, Fibonacci sequence socks, and Lorentz manifold.... things. Yay, knerd knitters!

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:05 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Klein bottle touques

I want one.

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:31 am UTC

::grumble grumble grumble::

Fucking knitters. Ever since knitting turned into the "cool thing," I can't find a decent fucking crochet pattern book to save my life. I've resorted to plotting my own patterns. So far, I have...... half a doll sweater. ::grumble::
You don't make them touch!

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:46 am UTC

search online for amigurumi. Oh me yarm Oh cute dolls. RECOCKULOUSLY CUTE. and once you get the basic idea down you can visually guess at a specific pattern.

i crochet and knit and dye my own yarn sometimes. ^_^ with knitting i mostly stick to rectangular objects, although i found a victorian lace for the modern day book that i'm terribly interested in. i'll just have to get smaller needles....

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:39 am UTC

Girlâ„¢ wrote:::grumble grumble grumble::

Fucking knitters. Ever since knitting turned into the "cool thing," I can't find a decent fucking crochet pattern book to save my life. I've resorted to plotting my own patterns. So far, I have...... half a doll sweater. ::grumble::

I crochet too. I didn't know knitting was the cool thing to do, but I did know that there were 5 or 10 knitting books to each crochet book in any given store. (The cross-stiching books also severely out number the embroidery books.)

Are you using granny-square type stuff, or just straight crochet (or whatever it's called)?
Dang, I should go through my closet for one of the dozens of skeins of yarn I have stored up and actually start and finish something...

Return to “General”