Maps

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

tastelikecoke

Re: Maps

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon May 14, 2012 5:09 am UTC

I do fictional maps in my free time too, but mostly cities, since those form a lot of roads and alleys. Basically this fills your notebook with straight lines and curves, and it's fun to plan the forks and the intersections. Then I connect them together to form a big sprawling city, and drive a car in the docks 8) .

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue May 15, 2012 4:08 am UTC

Mhm. How does one judge the size of the city or some such? I feel that I'm bad when it comes to scale on a city level. I guess I've always been more interested in the huge picture... national and regional boundaries, and other such things.

I'm always terrible with geographical features like rivers and such. Huh. I guess my speciality is political maps. Or at least in some cases geopolitical.

And names. I always get stuck on the names.

On a side note, anyone have an interest in Vexillology?

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Tue May 15, 2012 11:51 am UTC

Spoiler:
Nordlandia.png
Currently trying to make this topographic map show road systems and forests and such. Maybe power stations and what all that go with that.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

ElWanderer

Postby ElWanderer » Tue May 15, 2012 12:34 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:And names. I always get stuck on the names.

It's been ages since I've done much map creation (and mostly it was some kind of game map created on a computer), but names were always the fun part for me. For one game map, every town and feature was named was named musically, after bands, band members and solo artists. So the villages of Lennon, McCartney, Harrison and ? (can't remember if I went for Ringo or Starr) would be located close to eachother and near to the George Martin Cliff Railway. For much of the map, the theme was just a way of creating natural-sounding names*, but quite a few names were overt or indeed over the top. I was particularly proud of the They Might Be Giant's Causeway. My father partially re-designed the map to add more of a coherent (and harder) scenario, which ended up requiring you to ship uranium to Los Alamos - it only struck me later I should have insisted he name it Los Lobos instead. I think that was the one place on the map that was named after a real-world place. As a result I tried putting Los Lobos in as a capital city in my next map, but that never got finished.

* It always annoyed me in Frontier: Elite 2 that the star system names consisted of a small bubble of realistic or indeed actual star names surrounded by a sea of bland, auto-generated names along the lines of Alvarak, Kalvara, Alcopa, Calpoa, Pocola, Drecka, Susan (argh, I can't help but jazz up these pretend examples)... I know now this was because the vast majority of the galaxy was procedurally generated rather than designed. Pity the name-generator wasn't more complicated.
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed May 16, 2012 3:57 am UTC

Ah. I had people help me with location names a lot one time when I was constructing a continent for a game I was hosting. I get my inspiration from various eclectic sources. I'm somewhat reluctant to use real names of stuff I know just because of the association factor (Unless it's a non-Proper noun like "Jade" or "Flag" or something). I only steal a select few, such as Seguin (an island on the Seine which I have a mini-obsession with), and Scargo (a lake with accompanying tower in Cape Cod, MA whose name and locale I like).

I generally improvise when it comes to names. For instance I came up with the name "Khamritsar" from Amritsar in India and, well, Kham-something. Or Honduli from Honduras and, well, something-li. Or Tricily from Tripoli and Sicily.

I remember once I was making a fictional map of a nation of Space Egyptians (A nation on a desert planet with modern technology but Ancient Egypt-esque culture) and I named everything either directly or indirectly after an element of Egyptian History, Religion, Myth or etc.... Or I just translated to the Egyptian Language, which was a bit difficult (they never wrote vowels)... that was an awesome map...

I like having stories for my maps though, especially. It's fascinating to look at the map and say "Oh yeah, there's the great Citadel of X" and have this backstory in your head.

ElWanderer

Postby ElWanderer » Thu May 17, 2012 10:20 am UTC

That sounds cool :)
Though Scargo makes me think of snails ;)

Looking back, I realise my musicians example wasn't brilliant - the Beatle names did stick out somewhat. Though once I was going through less well known bands, there were lots of interesting surnames to use.

I guess the other trick is to create your own language endings - something to use consistently instead of ton, ham, ville, bridge, ford etc.
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu May 17, 2012 3:39 pm UTC

I love maps! I'm getting into surveying (specifically - cave surveying) and the part I am enjoying most is keeping book/sketching, and then doing the cartography. Here is my first cave map, accepted into the cave survey association =) Spoilered for huge....last names/specific info removed for conservation and 'cause who needs to know last names here.
Spoiler:
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu May 17, 2012 8:25 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:I love maps! I'm getting into surveying (specifically - cave surveying) and the part I am enjoying most is keeping book/sketching, and then doing the cartography. Here is my first cave map, accepted into the cave survey association =) Spoilered for huge....last names/specific info removed for conservation and 'cause who needs to know last names here.
Spoiler:

Egads, another surveyor!

I just stamped my first boundary survey this week, almost three years after getting my licence.

I love all kinds of maps - fictional ones included. If a book contains a map, I am twice as likely to pick it up as not.
My boss (who is 86ish) just gave me a stack of maps of the Solomon Islands and Guadalcanal from when he was a surveyor in the Army in the early to mid 1950's. I'm going to give them to my grandfather, who served there during WWII.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu May 17, 2012 9:23 pm UTC

Congratulations!

I'm not sure how it compares to above ground surveying. Here's a link to basics on how cave surveying works. Certainly a challenge in the dark and in difficult terrain!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Mon May 21, 2012 12:27 pm UTC

Gears wrote:
Spoiler:
Nordlandia.png
Currently trying to make this topographic map show road systems and forests and such. Maybe power stations and what all that go with that.

Estonia + Latvia, upside down?

Maps are the reason I play paradox games.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Tue May 22, 2012 4:47 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Congratulations!

I'm not sure how it compares to above ground surveying. Here's a link to basics on how cave surveying works. Certainly a challenge in the dark and in difficult terrain!

Its really different - above ground, we tend to use radial surveying methods as opposed to station-offset (except when working in things like mines or long linear features that you can't really do radially, like steam tunnels or maintenance shafts.

I wish we had more caves around here, I really enjoy spelunking. Also, 'spelunking' is one of the best words in the English language.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Wed May 23, 2012 5:10 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
Gears wrote:
Spoiler:
Nordlandia.png

Estonia + Latvia, upside down?
That's exactly what it is! I'm writing a war scenario up. Wanted some decent topography, that's what I found.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed May 23, 2012 5:29 am UTC

Interesting.

Today I saw an episode of "The West Wing" (because my class has nothing to do anymore) in which there were lobbyists arguing in favor of the Peter's Map and the South-Top map.

I was about to roll out of my seat in agony. I have issues with those maps for everyday use... at the very least they didn't try one of those Americas-Central maps that bisects Eurasia. I would've lost it.

All maps are interesting. I just have my preferences for normal everyday use.

Return to “General”