What the heck is there to do in Los Angeles?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
wing
the /b/slayer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

What the heck is there to do in Los Angeles?

Postby wing » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:55 am UTC

Specifically, I'm staying in either Carson or Lomita (or both), depending on if the person I'm staying with moves before, during, or after my stay.

I won't have access to any sort of car, so public transit (or walking but we're both fatasses so walking isn't preferred) is the way to go.

In particular, I'm looking for 6 days worth of "dates" - the more xkcd, the better... She's lived there for a couple years now, and has no idea what the heck is available (other than Disneyland). Cheaper is better, but I have a few hundred to throw around safely. Nothing too obviously "Oh me yarm this is a date" - we ARE just friends. But, er, I aspire to other things. So heh. You know what I mean. Basically, I have 6 days to not-so-subtly convey the idea of "HEY BONEHEAD, I STILL LIKE YOU. I'M NOT FUCKING KIDDING."

I figure there must be a FEW people here that live in the United States' largest metro area. If it matters, I'll be there early morning August 21 to late night on the 27 (the 27th is a wash during the day since she starts school, so I'm just going to pack my shit up and we'll have a nice dinner before I leave). We're also under 21, so nothing of the bar/club sort.

I'll start with the obvious:
- Picnic dinner on the beach at sunset (plz suggest non-crap beach with a good view of the sunset).
- FUCKIN' DISNEYLAND.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

User avatar
niko7865
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:47 am UTC
Location: All over washington state, USA
Contact:

Postby niko7865 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:53 am UTC

Gang Fights!
Riots!
Police Beatings!
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???
Image

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:55 am UTC

wing wrote:In particular, I'm looking for 6 days worth of "dates"

Whores?

User avatar
wing
the /b/slayer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Postby wing » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:03 am UTC

niko7865 wrote:Gang Fights!
Riots!
Police Beatings!
I should clarify: We're white.

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
wing wrote:In particular, I'm looking for 6 days worth of "dates"

Whores?
And I already have the girl lined up kthx.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:13 am UTC

wing wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
wing wrote:In particular, I'm looking for 6 days worth of "dates"

Whores?
And I already have the girl lined up kthx.

Manwhores?

ks_physicist
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:09 am UTC

Postby ks_physicist » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:15 am UTC

The Griffith Observatory.

The Getty Art Museum.


Edited to add: You MUST GO TO THE ABOVE. And if you like modern art, LACMA.

The La Brea Tar Pits are a great museum and location to visit.


Visit university campuses like USC and UCLA.



And of course all of the cheesy Hollywood stuff that the locals never visit.

Hypothetical Lighthouse
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:33 am UTC
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Hypothetical Lighthouse » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:22 am UTC

DO. NOT. GO. TO. VENICE. BEACH.

You have been diverted from becoming a tourist sheep. I expect to be well paid.
"'Hey baby', he said, winking as he walked into a high table, knocked off a globe with his face, and landed ass-first in a bowl of salsa."

User avatar
Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:35 am UTC
Location: Apple, CA

Postby Phi » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:32 am UTC

Go look at Westwood (pretty much right next to UCLA). Walk around like you own the place though, and do not buy those "maps of the houses of celebrities!" You do not want to be a tourist with this woman.

I live a 6-hour drive from LA though, so I don't really know anything specific about the area, sorry :(

[I went there once for a Dodger game, and once to check out my dad's old neighbourhood.]

User avatar
wing
the /b/slayer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Postby wing » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:35 am UTC

ks_physicist wrote:The Griffith Observatory.

The Getty Art Museum.


Edited to add: You MUST GO TO THE ABOVE. And if you like modern art, LACMA.

The La Brea Tar Pits are a great museum and location to visit.


Visit university campuses like USC and UCLA.



And of course all of the cheesy Hollywood stuff that the locals never visit.
HELL YES. Now, what's the most relevant transportation infrastructure for getting around?
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

User avatar
wing
the /b/slayer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Postby wing » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:37 am UTC

Hypothetical Lighthouse wrote:DO. NOT. GO. TO. VENICE. BEACH.

You have been diverted from becoming a tourist sheep. I expect to be well paid.
Funny. She lives there and she swears it's the best place on the planet.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

User avatar
Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:35 am UTC
Location: Apple, CA

Postby Phi » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:44 am UTC

wing wrote:HELL YES. Now, what's the most relevant transportation infrastructure for getting around?

Bus, bus, and more bus. Public, of course. I'm sure with a tiny bit of research you could find the routes/schedules.

User avatar
wing
the /b/slayer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Postby wing » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:54 am UTC

Phi wrote:
wing wrote:HELL YES. Now, what's the most relevant transportation infrastructure for getting around?

Bus, bus, and more bus. Public, of course. I'm sure with a tiny bit of research you could find the routes/schedules.
FTLOF, a city that big and there isn't even functional rail transit? Even BALTIMORE has that.

I might have to rent a uhaul and just use that as a rental car.

Oh, wait. Traffic.

Edit: Found the transit maps. Apparently I should be expecting to spend roughly 4 hours on public transit per day if I adhere to the above-mentioned cool shit.... No thanks. Really. I'm barely spending that much time ON A PLANE FLYING ACROSS THE WHOLE DAMNED CONTINENT. Maybe one or two days, but beyond that... That's insane.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Hypothetical Lighthouse
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:33 am UTC
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Hypothetical Lighthouse » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:49 am UTC

wing wrote:
Hypothetical Lighthouse wrote:DO. NOT. GO. TO. VENICE. BEACH.

You have been diverted from becoming a tourist sheep. I expect to be well paid.
Funny. She lives there and she swears it's the best place on the planet.
Huh...

Either aforementioned female is a tourist sheep (possible), she just likes looking at guys' muscular bodies (very possible), or she enjoys high levels of pollution and congestion (slightly possible).
"'Hey baby', he said, winking as he walked into a high table, knocked off a globe with his face, and landed ass-first in a bowl of salsa."

User avatar
Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:35 am UTC
Location: Apple, CA

Postby Phi » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:08 am UTC

wing wrote:
Phi wrote:
wing wrote:HELL YES. Now, what's the most relevant transportation infrastructure for getting around?

Bus, bus, and more bus. Public, of course. I'm sure with a tiny bit of research you could find the routes/schedules.
FTLOF, a city that big and there isn't even functional rail transit? Even BALTIMORE has that.

I might have to rent a uhaul and just use that as a rental car.

Oh, wait. Traffic.

Edit: Found the transit maps. Apparently I should be expecting to spend roughly 4 hours on public transit per day if I adhere to the above-mentioned cool shit.... No thanks. Really. I'm barely spending that much time ON A PLANE FLYING ACROSS THE WHOLE DAMNED CONTINENT. Maybe one or two days, but beyond that... That's insane.

The traffic isn't overly bad in L.A., it's MUCH more manageable than, say, New York City. And if your friend is somewhat familiar with the roads, then it shouldn't be awful. (What I mean is, the traffic actually flows. It's nice, not completely stop-and-go everywhere. And please, avoid South-Central L.A., I think you already know about it.)

Hypothetical Lighthouse
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:33 am UTC
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Hypothetical Lighthouse » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:58 am UTC

Phi wrote:
wing wrote:
Phi wrote:
wing wrote:HELL YES. Now, what's the most relevant transportation infrastructure for getting around?

Bus, bus, and more bus. Public, of course. I'm sure with a tiny bit of research you could find the routes/schedules.
FTLOF, a city that big and there isn't even functional rail transit? Even BALTIMORE has that.

I might have to rent a uhaul and just use that as a rental car.

Oh, wait. Traffic.

Edit: Found the transit maps. Apparently I should be expecting to spend roughly 4 hours on public transit per day if I adhere to the above-mentioned cool shit.... No thanks. Really. I'm barely spending that much time ON A PLANE FLYING ACROSS THE WHOLE DAMNED CONTINENT. Maybe one or two days, but beyond that... That's insane.

The traffic isn't overly bad in L.A., it's MUCH more manageable than, say, New York City. And if your friend is somewhat familiar with the roads, then it shouldn't be awful. (What I mean is, the traffic actually flows. It's nice, not completely stop-and-go everywhere. And please, avoid South-Central L.A., I think you already know about it.)
Uh...
Rule 1 of LA traffic: Never get on the 405 unless it is an absolute necessity, and even then do it at the least convenient possible hour.
Rule 2 of LA traffic: Freeways are not always faster than surface streets.
Rule 3 of LA traffic: AM 980 has the best traffic reports.
"'Hey baby', he said, winking as he walked into a high table, knocked off a globe with his face, and landed ass-first in a bowl of salsa."

User avatar
Solt
Posts: 1912
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:08 am UTC
Location: California

Postby Solt » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:53 am UTC

wing wrote:
ks_physicist wrote:The Griffith Observatory.

The Getty Art Museum.


Edited to add: You MUST GO TO THE ABOVE. And if you like modern art, LACMA.

The La Brea Tar Pits are a great museum and location to visit.


Visit university campuses like USC and UCLA.



And of course all of the cheesy Hollywood stuff that the locals never visit.
HELL YES. Now, what's the most relevant transportation infrastructure for getting around?




AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! HAHA! HA! TRANSPORTATION INFRASTRUCTURE? LOS ANGELES? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

California is the second biggest state in the lower 48, why the hell would we pack in our cities when everyone can have plenty of room? This area is so big that a comprehensive rail system would be cost prohibitive. Just not enough people need to cross the city that can't drive to justify building trains.

If you don't live near one, get to the beach if you can. Newport beach is the best in the Area, IMO, but it's a bit far for you I'm betting. I suggest you just go west until you hit the coast. I'm not kidding. Find a couple of bikes, it's under 8 miles. According to Google maps there's a fine looking beach due west of Carson/Lomita call Redondo State Beach and another north of that called Manhattan Beach.


I actually live pretty close to Carson, about 10 miles (east), and Disneyland is only a couple miles past me. With the freeway system it would be no problem for me to get there and back in about 30 minutes, but I have a car.

Try to take the bus to various places if you can, but it will take a while. Disneyland is in a different county (Orange county, city of Anaheim), so you'll have to change bus systems but there might be a convenient way to go straight there since it IS a popular destination.

You CAN get to a fair number of places if you can get to the light rail system, but the closest station is a few miles from you. Maybe catch a bus to it? Look at http://www.mta.net Walking in Los Angeles is NOT an option. Don't even think about it, unless it is AT the destination or TO a bus.

A UHAUL might actually not be a bad idea. Like I said, we have plenty of room. No narrow/crowded streets. Parking at attractions might be awkward, though, if you'll have a full blown truck.

If you're interested in the Griffith Observatory, you need to make reservations, apparently. If you're looking for nerdy things to do, LA has a shit load of museums, three world class Universities (UCLA, USC, CalTech), and stuff like Griffith and the tar pits. Goto Hollywood Boulevard since that's where all the damn tourists go. You can get there from the subway.

If you end up in Carson, DO NOT wander north. There lies Compton, home of many gangs. Go around it on your way to LA if you can. Or go through it to sight see, if that sort of thing turns you on.


If you have more specific questions I can help you out. I don't actually live in LA, but we go there often enough, since it's about 5 miles to the county line...
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

User avatar
wing
the /b/slayer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Postby wing » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:13 pm UTC

Solt wrote:If you end up in Carson, DO NOT wander north. There lies Compton, home of many gangs. Go around it on your way to LA if you can. Or go through it to sight see, if that sort of thing turns you on.


Touring the ghetto would actually be pretty fun, but I won't be partaking in such because of the nature of the law in California and the nature of the TSA. Those things in tandem whittle down my emergency procedure from "AK47" to "RUN" and their offensive procedure from "RUN" to "AK47"
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

User avatar
Solt
Posts: 1912
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:08 am UTC
Location: California

Postby Solt » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:03 pm UTC

wing wrote:
Solt wrote:If you end up in Carson, DO NOT wander north. There lies Compton, home of many gangs. Go around it on your way to LA if you can. Or go through it to sight see, if that sort of thing turns you on.


Touring the ghetto would actually be pretty fun, but I won't be partaking in such because of the nature of the law in California and the nature of the TSA. Those things in tandem whittle down my emergency procedure from "AK47" to "RUN" and their offensive procedure from "RUN" to "AK47"



Actually, our assault rifle of choice here in the United States is the M16 :P
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,

produced a more reliable product. But sailors do

not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a

most annoying habit of splitting in two."

-J.W. Morris

User avatar
wing
the /b/slayer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Postby wing » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:04 pm UTC

Solt wrote:
wing wrote:
Solt wrote:If you end up in Carson, DO NOT wander north. There lies Compton, home of many gangs. Go around it on your way to LA if you can. Or go through it to sight see, if that sort of thing turns you on.


Touring the ghetto would actually be pretty fun, but I won't be partaking in such because of the nature of the law in California and the nature of the TSA. Those things in tandem whittle down my emergency procedure from "AK47" to "RUN" and their offensive procedure from "RUN" to "AK47"



Actually, our assault rifle of choice here in the United States is the M16 :P
Uh. In the military, maybe. But we civilians like our AK47's. At least, around here we do. Since you know, they cost $400 max, and you can't even start LOOKING At M16-family weapons until you have at least double that.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

User avatar
lone_psychonaut
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:01 pm UTC

Re: What the heck is there to do in Los Angeles?

Postby lone_psychonaut » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:26 pm UTC

Dude, I live right next to Lomita, that's crazy. That fact should make me helpful, but it actually really doesn't, since people who live here usually don't know what the hell to do around here either (I'm 20, so no bars for me either)
"FORGET ABOUT THE GILGAMECKS!!!??!! *rabble rabble rabble rabble!*"

Image

User avatar
Shro
science genius girl
Posts: 2139
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:31 am UTC
Location: im in ur heartz, stealin ur luv.
Contact:

Postby Shro » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:01 am UTC

So, I don't have any actual suggestions, but I do have some feedback from a female perspective.

Biking to the coast sounds ridiculously romantic. If you don't have bikes, maybe it would be possible to rent some? Then have a picnic. Doing cliche things aren't so bad if you don't mention them beforehand and just do them kind of spontaneously. You are totally allowed to watch the sunset on the beach if you're not all "Hey, wouldn't it be romantic if we watched the sunset on the beach" And then take a walk in the moonlight, etc.

Oh, god, I think I just fell in love with myself for thinking that up.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

User avatar
wing
the /b/slayer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Postby wing » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:50 am UTC

argyl3 wrote:So, I don't have any actual suggestions, but I do have some feedback from a female perspective.

Biking to the coast sounds ridiculously romantic. If you don't have bikes, maybe it would be possible to rent some? Then have a picnic. Doing cliche things aren't so bad if you don't mention them beforehand and just do them kind of spontaneously. You are totally allowed to watch the sunset on the beach if you're not all "Hey, wouldn't it be romantic if we watched the sunset on the beach" And then take a walk in the moonlight, etc.

Oh, god, I think I just fell in love with myself for thinking that up.
Actually, the initial plan was to sit on the Atlantic watching the sunrise alone, munching on some half-stale sandwich, then travel, and then hit the beach with her that evening. But alas, the flight that was conducive to that schedule filled up before I could book, so I have to be at the airport at 4AM :(
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

User avatar
MurdocRocks
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:56 am UTC
Location: Isla Vista, CA

Postby MurdocRocks » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:33 am UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strand_%28bicycle_path%29

A beach strand that goes through several cities, and you can rent bikes in Venice to ride. It's romantic, and not too exhausting because there really aren't any hills.

Hermosa Beach is a really cool beach, with plenty of shops and restaurants and often there's some sort of event going on.

Torrance Beach (where I live) is an alright beach, that isn't really touristy at all, but it's still incredibly crowded.

Oh yeah, Catalina is really fun to spend a day in.

ks_physicist
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:09 am UTC

Postby ks_physicist » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:41 am UTC

wing wrote:Since you know, they cost $400 max, and you can't even start LOOKING At M16-family weapons until you have at least double that.


Build your own piece-by-piece. I'm buying a lower receiver (legally, the actual "firearm") in a month or two, and will get the lower parts kit, furniture, and assembled upper as I can afford it. Still, end result will be closer to $500-$600, rather than the $800 or so it takes to buy a factory weapon.

User avatar
wing
the /b/slayer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Postby wing » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:41 am UTC

ks_physicist wrote:
wing wrote:Since you know, they cost $400 max, and you can't even start LOOKING At M16-family weapons until you have at least double that.


Build your own piece-by-piece. I'm buying a lower receiver (legally, the actual "firearm") in a month or two, and will get the lower parts kit, furniture, and assembled upper as I can afford it. Still, end result will be closer to $500-$600, rather than the $800 or so it takes to buy a factory weapon.
Good point. But I'm a big fan of the AK47 and SKS. To me, they're the ultimate democratic weapon (which is funny, because the "official" weapon of democracy is the M16/M4, and the AK47 was originally produced by the exact opposite of democracy) because due to sheer production volume, it's been the number one force behind damn near every change in government worldwide for the past 50 years.

Re: The Strand. Bingo. Quick, easy, inexpensive way to find the "right spot(tm)"

Now I just need to break out the bike and hit the trails around here so I know I'm still in good enough shape to not look like an idiot. We have a trail here that parallels an old railroad. Very grueling, and a good 60 miles round trip. If I can pull off 5 miles on that trail with my TERRIBLE bike, I should be able to pull off a full 44 on some cutesy little beach trail with a rental.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Hypothetical Lighthouse
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:33 am UTC
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Hypothetical Lighthouse » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:42 am UTC

MurdocRocks wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strand_%28bicycle_path%29

A beach strand that goes through several cities, and you can rent bikes in Venice to ride. It's romantic, and not too exhausting because there really aren't any hills.

Hermosa Beach is a really cool beach, with plenty of shops and restaurants and often there's some sort of event going on.

Torrance Beach (where I live) is an alright beach, that isn't really touristy at all, but it's still incredibly crowded.

Oh yeah, Catalina is really fun to spend a day in.
The strand is always nice. Hermosa's great, Torrance (where I live too, go us!) would be great if it was less crowded. Venice is too touristy, and Santa Monica is too touristy *and* too windy close to the water. Ideal (in my not-at-all humble opinion) would be Newport beach (crowded but worth it) or Redondo beach (not as crowded as some, and totally bitchin').
"'Hey baby', he said, winking as he walked into a high table, knocked off a globe with his face, and landed ass-first in a bowl of salsa."

jwwells
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:47 am UTC

Postby jwwells » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:29 am UTC


User avatar
wing
the /b/slayer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Postby wing » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:34 am UTC

Bumpity for any last minute ideas.


Thus far, the timeline looks like this:

Tuesday
- 8:30 AM - Arrive. Dick around for a few hours. Eat breakfast with her mother.
- Noon - Check into my hotel room.
- ???
- 6:30P - Off to the beach for picnic sunset dinner
- ???
Wednesday
- 8:30 AM - Breakfast with her, her mom, her biological father (who also happens to be in town on a rare visit), and possibly her boyfriend if I don't already hate him.
- ???

Thursday - Sunday
- ???

Monday
- 8:00AM - Check out of hotel, stash bags at her house. Go hang out at her college while she's in class.
- Noon - Lunch, then more hanging out while she's in class.
- 3:00P - ???
- 10:00P - Arrive back at LAX

I am the *MASTER* of planning!!!

Essentially, we're just going to make shit up as we go along, except those
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

User avatar
SpitValve
Not a mod.
Posts: 5130
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:51 am UTC
Location: Lower pork village

Postby SpitValve » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:36 am UTC

On a similar note:

What is there to do in LA airport for 7 hours when you're half-way through your New Zealand to Canada trip?

User avatar
Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist
Posts: 3446
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:06 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:57 am UTC

^ Wear a tinfoil hat while lurking around muttering (or yelling) "I am not a mod" or some variation thereof.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby Hawknc » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:00 am UTC

Don't worry, after arriving in the US, your beard will ensure that you spend at least 6 of those 7 hours undergoing "random security checks".

ks_physicist
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:09 am UTC

Postby ks_physicist » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:56 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:On a similar note:

What is there to do in LA airport for 7 hours when you're half-way through your New Zealand to Canada trip?


Eat at McDonald's, take a brisk walk, browse the magazine racks, and people-watch.

User avatar
bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢
Posts: 3137
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:27 pm UTC
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Postby bbctol » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:26 pm UTC

I suggest you drive down to Carlsbad for some LEGOLAND!!!!!!!!

User avatar
Aeltar
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:07 pm UTC
Location: Yes, please!
Contact:

Postby Aeltar » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:20 am UTC

bbctol wrote:I suggest you drive down to Carlsbad for some LEGOLAND!!!!!!!!


You live in C-bad? I lived there until I was 14. I went to Legoland twice in the opening week - grandma was an elementary schoolteacher, and my class went on a field trip. Come to think of it, I went to a lot of places like that often...
functionally_stupid wrote:If you ever feel the urge to say "I love you" to a friend, a lover, a parent, who-the-fuck-ever - say it. SAY IT. I cannot stress this enough.

User avatar
bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢
Posts: 3137
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:27 pm UTC
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Postby bbctol » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:10 am UTC

Aeltar wrote:
bbctol wrote:I suggest you drive down to Carlsbad for some LEGOLAND!!!!!!!!


You live in C-bad? I lived there until I was 14. I went to Legoland twice in the opening week - grandma was an elementary schoolteacher, and my class went on a field trip. Come to think of it, I went to a lot of places like that often...


No, I don't. I wish I did, though, and now I'm all envious.

User avatar
Nimz
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:49 am UTC
Location: the origin

Postby Nimz » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:11 am UTC

One of the nice things about LA is that there are tons of museums. Car Museum, Natural History Museum, California Science Center, Gene Autry Museum (to name a few that haven't been mentioned yet). Staples Center is in Downtown LA. Don't know if there's going to be anything interesting there, though.

USC, and UCLA are indeed in the city of Los Angeles, but CalTech is in Pasadena. Shouldn't be too far away, though.

There are alot of biking trails and alot of beaches in Southern California. More than that, I don't really know on that subject.

Theme Parks: If you want to ride roller coasters, Six Flags is a bit farther away than Disneyland, but it should be less expensive AND better rides.

If you're interested in seeing a HUGE display of old Bible manuscripts and ancient texts, the Los Angeles University Cathedral is without parallel. It's only open on Sundays and you have to have a reservation to the church service in order to enter, but the tickets are free.
LOWA

User avatar
Aeltar
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:07 pm UTC
Location: Yes, please!
Contact:

Postby Aeltar » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:56 pm UTC

Just bum around the city. Definitely drive to Carlsbad. Go to SeaWorld for the night Shamu Rocks! show. It's wonderful. The day show isn't great, but the park is worth it. Bring snacks and food from home - the food is bad and expensive. Go to Legoland. Go to the San Diego Wild Animal Park and if you want, the Zoo. And of course, wander around.
functionally_stupid wrote:If you ever feel the urge to say "I love you" to a friend, a lover, a parent, who-the-fuck-ever - say it. SAY IT. I cannot stress this enough.

User avatar
Vaniver
Posts: 9422
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am UTC

Postby Vaniver » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:48 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:On a similar note:

What is there to do in LA airport for 7 hours when you're half-way through your New Zealand to Canada trip?
Read a (multiple) book(s). Don't buy it at the airport, the prices will be inflated.

Look for the lounge. There will probably be at least one with comfy chairs and (possibly) wireless internet (which you will probably have to pay for).
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

User avatar
Sabatnoogen
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:31 pm UTC

1000 steps

Postby Sabatnoogen » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:18 pm UTC

if you don't mind driving down to laguna beach, this is pimp daddy central for a picnic on the beach. it's the absolute PERFECT spot.

http://www.goodtime.net/lbe/lolbe050.htm

User avatar
Alpha Omicron
Posts: 2765
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 1:07 pm UTC

Postby Alpha Omicron » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:27 pm UTC

@ wing and Solt: Once again I am floored by the fact that people in the US actually have automatics! You can't even hunt with those!
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests