What the heck is there to do in Los Angeles?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:53 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:@ wing and Solt: Once again I am floored by the fact that people in the US actually have automatics! You can't even hunt with those!
I've been here 3 days and I've seen 0 automatic weapons, 4 cops, about a dozen hispanics, 0 of which were actually speaking anything other than English, only 1 meth'd out druggie on a bus stop, and no gas prices higher than $2.95/gallon

I'm not actually certain this is the same California that the media has been portraying as a coked-out North Mexico where everything costs 10x what it should.

I finally managed to procure a rental vehicle (only UHaul would even give me the time of day. So I'm driving a barebones F-150 (it has the V8, though) with a big yellow gouge down the side from someone dragging it past a school bus or something) and the rear license plate horribly deformed (I can't even FATHOM how they buckled the center of the bumper the way they did without damaging the bed of the truck). And all that damage accumulated in the first 10,000 miles. It's a *BRAND NEW* truck... So once girlie here is done her beauty nap, we're gonna go cruise... somewhere. In a rented pickup truck. With bigass UHaul decals on the sides.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Traisenau

Postby Traisenau » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:14 am UTC

That would be in little Mexico, I have a friend who lives there. Oh, and try to find House of Pie, it's delicious pie, but the restaurant has a C health rating... so you could die from eating it, totally worth the risk though.
<Will> Drew is the only woman for me

Aeltar

Postby Aeltar » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:41 am UTC

wing wrote:
Alpha Omicron wrote:@ wing and Solt: Once again I am floored by the fact that people in the US actually have automatics! You can't even hunt with those!
I've been here 3 days and I've seen 0 automatic weapons, 4 cops, about a dozen hispanics, 0 of which were actually speaking anything other than English, only 1 meth'd out druggie on a bus stop, and no gas prices higher than $2.95/gallon

I'm not actually certain this is the same California that the media has been portraying as a coked-out North Mexico where everything costs 10x what it should.

It isn't. Out-of-state friends used to always be like "California sucks. Move to [New Zealand/Colorado/Texas/Oz/ANYWHERE ELSE]" until I explained otherwise. Major media bias isn't cool, guys.
functionally_stupid wrote:If you ever feel the urge to say "I love you" to a friend, a lover, a parent, who-the-fuck-ever - say it. SAY IT. I cannot stress this enough.

williamager

Postby williamager » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:41 am UTC

wing wrote:I'm not actually certain this is the same California that the media has been portraying as a coked-out North Mexico where everything costs 10x what it should.

That's most likely because you haven't been looking at the house prices. More seriously, it is probably because you haven't been in the worst areas. Los Angeles is highly compartmentalised, with some very nice areas and some relatively horrible areas. The media tends to only deal with the horrible parts, which is understandable, as nothing newsworthy tends to happen in the nice areas.

Also, since no one here has suggested it, and in the interest of promoting one of my favourite places in Los Angeles, I should bring up the Huntington Library in Pasadena. It has some very nice museums and what are usually quite enjoyable gardens, though it tends to be overly crowded on weekends and the dreaded free Thursday each month.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:08 am UTC

wing wrote:I've been here 3 days and I've seen ... no gas prices higher than $2.95/gallon
Had you come to Southern California a few months sooner, you'd be hard pressed to find any place with gas prices lower than $3 / gallon, fwiw. Last best price for 87 octane I've seen is $2.659 per gallon. (Those of you who want that in terms of euros per liter: you do the maths.)
LOWA

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:45 am UTC

Nimz wrote:
wing wrote:I've been here 3 days and I've seen ... no gas prices higher than $2.95/gallon
Had you come to Southern California a few months sooner, you'd be hard pressed to find any place with gas prices lower than $3 / gallon, fwiw. Last best price for 87 octane I've seen is $2.659 per gallon. (Those of you who want that in terms of euros per liter: you do the maths.)
I paid $2.609 at a Shell near the Carson/Torrance border filling up the rental before I returned it. Which is just as well, because I overfilled it (You'd think that, since the gauge said I'd used half a tank,I could look up the fuel capacity in the manual and put in half a tank, and a rough calculation based on how far I'd driven and the EPA rating. Nope. That topped off the tank. Oops.)

Then I came home and put $2.669/gallon gas in the Focus. Grr.

And for the record, a few months ago, gas was also over $3 here. So it seems that things correlate nicely.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:05 am UTC

Aeltar wrote:
wing wrote:

It isn't. Out-of-state friends used to always be like "California sucks. Move to [New Zealand/Colorado/Texas/Oz/ANYWHERE ELSE]" until I explained otherwise. Major media bias isn't cool, guys.

I live in northern california, and I see little crime, but would be hard pressed to leave the house without seeing at least a dozen hispanic people. Actually, I didn't go anywhere today and saw three, one of whom gave me tamales (yum), another asked me to kill a rattlesnake with a machete, and the third ignored me.

And gas here ranges from $2.53 (safeway after 10 cent discount) to $3.03 (Shell) as of yesterday.

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:50 pm UTC

I'm in the US, and my car is a stick shift.

But my rifles are bolt action and semi-automatic (autoloading), and my pistols are revolvers or semi-automatic.

I live in a state where Class 3 weapons (fully automatic, or multiple shots per trigger actuation) are not permitted by state law. I have to drive a state over to play with those toys.

Return to “General”