Ideas/Brain Crack

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dr. Diaphanous

Ideas/Brain Crack

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:20 pm UTC

Based on this video.

And on this comic:

Basically, this is a thread to dump all of your ideas that you can't follow through because of the effort/expertise/time/money it would require.

If you do have these but lack ideas, feel free to browse the thread to find ideas.
(Don't forget to ask permission before taking someone's idea).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start with a meta example: A website to do this, where users can vote for ideas or trade/buy them. Does this exist yet? I couldn't find it.
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

dudiobugtron

Re: Ideas/Brain Crack

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:04 am UTC

That sounds like a good idea.

Recently, I've 'always' wanted to make a webcomic which had multiple endings (all funny, of course), and readers chose which ending they wanted to see.

Of course you can go back and choose a different ending, and vote for which ending you think is best etc...

My initial idea for a comic strip was about a human spaceship which thought it was on a collision course with an alien spaceship. It would have two possible endings, one where it turned out that the alien spaceship was actually so small it just splattered on the windshield, and the other where it was so big that even though the humans managed to avoid it, it took out Earth instead.

I definitely couldn't make any money out of this idea though, since I suck at drawing *and* at doing stuff, *and* my comic ideas aren't actually funny.

Drowsy Turtle

Postby Drowsy Turtle » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:27 am UTC

A lot of my ideas are patentable, so on balance I won't post them here (nor do I have any real interest in making money from them or spending time pursuing them, so I'll probably die with them).

Some of my less good ideas include trying to make money brewing beer (at present I save money by giving it to people when they come over), and starting a band with my brother and sister (he claims he can play the drums but I doubt he can; she can sing but is to scared to sing in public, can play the piano a bit; I play a bit of guitar and sax, and could probably write a few songs if I could be bothered. Overall, we'd suck as a band).

I do get weird ideas all the time that I never follow up though, so I'll try to remember to offload them here.
Any offensive material posted is a consequence of societal pressure, the New World Order, the Mayans and David Bellamy. No responsibility will be taken for offense caused.
So suck it.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:08 am UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:I'll start with a meta example: A website to do this, where users can vote for ideas or trade/buy them. Does this exist yet? I couldn't find it.

I had a similar idea, but for narrative ideas - so if you had a great idea for a story, or a character, or just a random word, you'd put it up on this website and if someone wanted to use it they could, and presumably give credit (but probably with some disclaimer that there was no compulsion to, since it's hard to police that kind of thing anyway).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:33 am UTC

dudiobugtron wrote:That sounds like a good idea.

Recently, I've 'always' wanted to make a webcomic which had multiple endings (all funny, of course), and readers chose which ending they wanted to see.

Of course you can go back and choose a different ending, and vote for which ending you think is best etc...

My initial idea for a comic strip was about a human spaceship which thought it was on a collision course with an alien spaceship. It would have two possible endings, one where it turned out that the alien spaceship was actually so small it just splattered on the windshield, and the other where it was so big that even though the humans managed to avoid it, it took out Earth instead.

I definitely couldn't make any money out of this idea though, since I suck at drawing *and* at doing stuff, *and* my comic ideas aren't actually funny.

No, don't just have the ending up for the vote. Have a fairly loose release schedule for QC-sized strips and at the end of each strip have a vote for what the next one is. Week+ later, do another one with a vote for what the next one is.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:03 pm UTC

DayZ stole my frikkin' idea.

Seriously, though, I've had an idea like that for years, doodled and contemplated during boring classes and break periods. Take the open world sandbox of Mount and Blade, mix a little S.T.A.L.K.E.R, and add a dash of Walking Dead before baking for a four year development cycle.

Specifically, though, it's a tactical (MMO)FPS/RTS/4X with a dash of tower defense. Start out on your own, it's FPS and scavenging. Shoot zombies in the head, find food, sell copper wiring to the trade outposts. Team up with another guy, use a tacmap to order him around. Set up an outpost (anywhere!), enter a construction editor to set up your defenses, place you defenders, and let it sit. Go out with the scavenging parties yourself or manage them remotely with RTS elements.

The world will move with our without you, with other players/factions battling it out and reshaping the game. Eventually, the zombies win, spawning endlessly into a server that doesn't refresh loot (though that part is sort of iffy, it'd be interesting to implement SOME sort of resource scarcity based on depletion of finite supplies but difficult to implement).

And then DayZ happened. Rocket stole mah idea.
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:26 pm UTC

I.. hate to tell you, but everyone had that idea.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:09 am UTC

Is there an online One Thousand Blank White Cards engine anywhere? Because if there isn't, there needs to be.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:16 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I.. hate to tell you, but everyone had that idea.

No kidding, I think that's why it went from 0 to 1 million so fast. Wish fulfillment at its finest.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:35 am UTC

My idea is very basic, and undoubtedly someone has thought of it before.

You know how you're on the train reading a book, and people keep bothering you? Or, inversely, you're on a train reading a book just to kill the time, and wouldn't mind people talking to you, but you're to shy to initiate and the others think you don't want to be bothered because you're reading a book? My solution is the following. I don't know what you guys do with your bookmarks when you're reading, but I stick them somewhere further in the book. What you need is a bookmark on which half says "Do not disturb!", preferably with a red background and a frowny face, and the other half saying "Feel free to talk to me.", preferably with a green background and a smiley face. Then just put the bookmark with the correct half up in your book, and voila.

I have another idea that deals with a similar problem, but that one's more complex and I don't feel like typing that one out now.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:34 am UTC

I saw something like that before. But I couldn't find it in a couple lazy google searches, which means there's space on the market!

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:26 pm UTC

Problem is that printing of bookmarks is relatively expensive. I had thought about making a couple of designs and placing them on a website, for people to print themselves (not planning on making any money of this), but very few people would be able to.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:12 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Problem is that printing of bookmarks is relatively expensive. I had thought about making a couple of designs and placing them on a website, for people to print themselves (not planning on making any money of this), but very few people would be able to.

Might not be as expensive as you think. It would be expensive if you did it all yourself, that is, bought all the equipment and supplies. Check into some printing services. Make economy of scale work for you. I found one in just a few minutes where the per bookmark cost, full color front and back, was about 2 cents per bookmark. You could get 100,000 for around $2000. Even if you only sold them for $0.10 a piece, that's $8,000 in profit. Assuming you could sell them all, that is. But that's a different problem.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:15 pm UTC

Not really planning on selling it. Would be too much of a hassle.
You rang?

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:24 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Problem is that printing of bookmarks is relatively expensive. I had thought about making a couple of designs and placing them on a website, for people to print themselves (not planning on making any money of this), but very few people would be able to.

http://www.kickstarter.com/

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:20 pm UTC

If you're not selling it, just make one, for yourself. As long as it's self explanatory (huge font). If that doesn't work, print a dust jacket and a T-shirt. If it still doesn't work you may need to talk to people. :P

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:43 am UTC

I work at an astronomy organization, and we are working on mapping millions of the stars of a certain brightness. We have this sort of pattern-matching program for matching stars to their fields, but some images have to be mapped manually, which is kind of cool but gets tedious after a while. I want to turn it into an actual game or app that people can download, and help us do it for fun and also contribute to astronomy. This is the kind of project that Kickstarter would be perfect for, but I don't think anyone in our organization would have the time to set up the campaign even if it was something we wanted to do. The other problem is that we have a limited number of fields to match, and if it were too fun we'd probably run out of images too quickly!
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:42 pm UTC

I want to make a test for the paleontologists and other scientists who try and figure out how prehistoric animals looked and acted. My plan is to take skeletons and bone pieces from living, known animals and then scanning them and 3-d printing replicas. Some of them could be distorted to mimic being compressed in the fossilization process, or scaled to different sizes to make them less recognizable. Using the techniques and processes that back up claims about dinosaur physiology, how much could they get out of the ankle joint of a bear, or a carp's vertebrae, or flattened out fragments of a rabbit's skull?

I had an idea like that "mind reading", picture compositing thing everyone got excited about a few months ago (before it happened, I mean). I was thinking about how I find websites, or files, and have strong feelings about them, but then can't find my way back to them later. So I thought something could go o my head like a head band and keep track of the physiological responses of my mental state, while the computer keeps track what I'm looking at. Then when I wanted to get back to those places, I could remember how I felt about them, recreating the physiological responses, which the computer could use to bring me the things that correlated with them in the first place.
Now though, I don't think I would actually like for this to be a thing that exists.

I've read about how authors basically have to avoid fan-fiction, and fan ideas, because the fans that make them could turn around and sue the authors if they make something similar. Is there a way to give up your rights or claims to ideas?
I would kinda hate to talk about movies I wish would happen, and in the process, paradoxically, keep them from ever existing.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:05 am UTC

Liquid nitrogen cooling pack. Having dealt with shin splints and being annoyed by various methods of cooling (melting ice packs, bulky water cooling systems, etc), I've always wondered whether a "cold sink" air cooling system would work. Take a tank of liquid nitrogen (w/ pressure release, unavoidable), use metal rods to conduct heat to aluminum pins that air is run through. Air cools, is distributed through the system. It'd be more energy efficient than units that redistribute heat in the system (like AC units), and would just require a few computer fans to get air moving; with proper energy management a single unit could last hours.

Without testing, though, I can't tell how well the energy transfer will be or how long the nitrogen will last, or even if it'll be too efficient for a personal platform.

Integrating it into a Warhammer/"Space Marine of Any Kind" cosplay suit would be pretty cool, though, if it worked.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:45 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Is there a way to give up your rights or claims to ideas?
Speak in generalities.

A movie about space miners who find an alien ship and bring something terrible back is general enough description to not be protected as Your Idea.

A movie about space miners who find an alien ship full of alien eggs and one of the eggs hatches revealing an entity that attacks and lays a different egg in a crew member only for the egg to later hatch in a bloody and terrifying way and the resulting Alien Creature spends the rest of the movie hunting down the crew leaving a single survivor alive as s/he escapes after blowing the ship up is ... well, pretty undeniably the plot of the movie Alien.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Argency

Postby Argency » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:55 pm UTC

I had an absolutely ACE idea for a way to keep dust off solar panels using static electricity when I was twelve years old. Of course I was too young to actually do anything about it back then, and then when I was in first year university I read an article in New Scientist about how somebody had put MY IDEA into spectacularly successful use on a Mars Rover. Anyone who has an idea for building a time machine, please get in touch with me so we can go back in time and become the team responsible for developing that technology.
Gonna be a blank slate, gonna wear a white cape.

Return to “General”