Year of Birth

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

When were you born?

1993 or later
5%
1990 - 1992
24%
1986 - 1989
40%
1982 - 1985
17%
1977 - 1981
10%
1967 - 1976
3%
1966 or earlier (older than dirt)
2%

Total votes: 500

I Zimbra

Postby I Zimbra » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am UTC

I was born in '81 and after reading this thread I feel old.

My birthday fun facts:
The Donner party expedition set out
Lincoln was shot/Seward was attacked
The Titanic hit the iceberg
The Clutter family killers were hanged (last execution in Kansas)

Luckily Pete Rose, Bruce Sterling, Loretta Lynn and me were born, or the day would be a total loss.
Take your play seriously

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:14 am UTC

It was early morning in Aus when it happened.. possibly even late at night? Dont know, but when I got up for school in the morning it was everywhere.. we watched it all through breakfast just completely amazed. And then I remember we still had to go to school, so the school held an assembly to talk to us about it, and they set up a councilor in case we needed to talk to someone about it. It was all very surreal.
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.
-Neil Gaiman

dnel

Postby dnel » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:42 am UTC

1983 but I'm past the epiphany that I am getting old when I remember I left high school more years ago than I spent there. My age group was disadvantaged by many a moronic and failed change in government policy, missed out on the university grant system and now we can't even afford to buy our own homes unlike those born on a year or two earlier. We were screwed from birth. But I'm not bitter, I could be really old already :)

Verator

Postby Verator » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:37 am UTC

Pebbles wrote:It was early morning in Aus when it happened.. possibly even late at night? Dont know, but when I got up for school in the morning it was everywhere.. we watched it all through breakfast just completely amazed. And then I remember we still had to go to school, so the school held an assembly to talk to us about it, and they set up a councilor in case we needed to talk to someone about it. It was all very surreal.

Jesus, they kept the kids in the dark while I was in school, had an announcement on the PA the next day, then pretty much jsut made it a do not discuss topic for the rest of the school year. Seriously. Kids would be flat out told not to talk about it, and some kids got in trouble for mentioning it!
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

djn

Postby djn » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:34 pm UTC

On 11.September I was at home, in my room, listening to the radio. I'm still moderately impressed with the channel in question; when they first announced it, the first plane had barely hit the first tower. We got the TV on shortly afterwards, and the rest is familiar. This was just after I got home. The reaction at school the next day was fairly moderate, as far as I can remember.

Also, I preferred the world as it was before the US reacted to it. As mentioned earlier, it's scary that there's people around that only remember the post - 11.09.01 world.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:57 pm UTC

There be a thread for this, guys.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?t=6266
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

nrioq

Postby nrioq » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:36 pm UTC

Enough 9/11 war stories please....everyone realizes this is only going to get worse as people age, right?

So, in that year...
-Pluto moved inside the orbit of Neptune becoming the 8th closest "planet" to the sun.
-Iranian revolution, Shah booted from power, religious fundamentalist seize control
-Soviet Union invades Afghanistan

Those are the only things that happened in 1979.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:40 pm UTC

According to wikipedia, Bart Simpson was born on April 25, 1979
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

nrioq

Postby nrioq » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:49 pm UTC

Wilibus wrote:According to wikipedia, Bart Simpson was born on April 25, 1979

I knew that at one point, but forgot it. The Simpsons went on air as its own show when I was in 4th grade. Bart was in 4th grade on the show which I thought was cool.

nuggetmonkey

Postby nuggetmonkey » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:34 pm UTC

Some of you don't remember a time when you didn't have the internet.

My first internet connection and email address was in college. On a green screen.

1976, around the bicentennial.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:33 pm UTC

Anyone born in the 80's or sooner is young.
Anyone born in the 70's is middling, and wiser than the young.
Anyone born before that is AWESOME (blatant pandering to the geriatrics).

On the day of my birth, Son of Sam got sentenced.
In the month of my birth, Ian Botham scored a centuray AND took 8 wickets in one innings.
In the year of my birth, the first bulletin board was created in Chicago.

Computers - You don't know the internets unless you started with bulletin boards, and you know what Gopher is. You don't know about media unless you have loaded the operating system and the program you intend to use from a cassette (cue cranky punchcard operators).

Seriously though, when looking through the Wikipedia entries for various years, does it seem like there was much MORE terrorism 30 years ago than there is now? I wonder if anyone has done some kind of study to determine the 'amount' of terrorism over time. You could measure it geographically, or by destruction / deaths.

EDIT: just noticed this - "August 25 - U.S. Army Sergeant Walter Robinson "walks" across the English Channel in 11 hours 30 minutes, using homemade water shoes" - what the hell?

schumi_girl
Human sacrifice for hire

Postby schumi_girl » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:42 am UTC

Yup 1990 girl here. I love the 90's...especially the music. Spice Girls ftw! *hides in shame after crazy outburst*

Nothing really cool happened on my birthday in that year... Jim Henson died *tear*

Adam: "This could be trouble."
Riley: "We'd better make a fort."
Adam: "I'll get some pillows."

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:49 am UTC

Verator wrote:
Pebbles wrote:It was early morning in Aus when it happened.. possibly even late at night? Dont know, but when I got up for school in the morning it was everywhere.. we watched it all through breakfast just completely amazed. And then I remember we still had to go to school, so the school held an assembly to talk to us about it, and they set up a councilor in case we needed to talk to someone about it. It was all very surreal.

Jesus, they kept the kids in the dark while I was in school, had an announcement on the PA the next day, then pretty much jsut made it a do not discuss topic for the rest of the school year. Seriously. Kids would be flat out told not to talk about it, and some kids got in trouble for mentioning it!

I think we were far enough away for it not be so touchy a subject here. I think only one or two kids even used the councilor set up. And who knows, they were prolly just looking to get out of class.

-Pluto moved inside the orbit of Neptune becoming the 8th closest "planet" to the sun.

Crazy to think some people will grow up without learning Pluto as the 9th planet in our solar system.
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.

-Neil Gaiman

unjovial
Note to Belial: Is Female

Postby unjovial » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:41 am UTC

I haven't seen many of my fellows from 1982 in this thread.

1982 (and 1971?) is the year of the Dog and we dogs are all about justice and equality, apparently. It suits.

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:42 am UTC

dubsola wrote:Anyone born before that is AWESOME (blatant pandering to the geriatrics).

Geria....? HEY!!!!
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:28 pm UTC

born on christmas in april 87

prime

Postby prime » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:58 pm UTC

Another super young'n here - 1993.

Same birthday as Queen Elizabeth II too.

mjec

Postby mjec » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:09 pm UTC

d3adf001 wrote:born on christmas in april 87

Wait, what?

July 87 here. Charles & Di!
For context: early-20s male born and living in Australia of UK [Norman]/USA [Western European Jewish] heritage. My blog.

My avatar isn't me, it's "Law Girl". I even did an xkcd ripoff about it one time. She's kind of like my version of nerd girl.

Ebonyi

Postby Ebonyi » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:48 pm UTC

Winter of '89. I wish I was a newborn baby for futuristic reasons. :)

Aviatrix

Re: Year of Birth

Postby Aviatrix » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:02 pm UTC

My apologies (not really): this is long
lukkucairi wrote:or is there someone even more ancienter lurking around here? :D
Yo, that would be me.
pollywog wrote:... will become the "Do you remember where you were when Kennedy was shot?" of our generation. Does anyone here actually remember? Because that would be huge.
Yo, that would be me. Again.

It's unlikely to sprout a long series of rememberances from the grasshoppers here, so: I was in 2nd grade, and an announcement came over the PA for all the teachers to come to the office. That was seriously odd. Our teacher put some girl who made straight A's in charge (not me) and went away for 15 minutes, and when she came back she was sobbing, and she told us. About an hour later our parents and the busses started showing up to take us home. I rode a bus to school, not so much for desegregation (a little early for that) but because I lived outside the city limits and they bussed the county kids to the schools which had lower enrollments.

The next day I went to a friend's house to play. I remember she had an Easy Bake Oven, one of the very first, and I was jealous. But she lived in the tony part of town, in fact in the subdivision that had the country club and the golf course. Later her mom let us go out to play on the golf course, thinking nobody would be playing golf the day after the President was assassinated. We were running around being kids when we heard, "FORE!" and a ball cracked into a tree nearby. My friend said we had to go in, and we told her mother, who got this totally disgusted look on her face and said with contempt, "Oh. I forgot about the caddies."

dubsola wrote:Anyone born before (the 70's) that is AWESOME (blatant pandering to the geriatrics).
Why, thank you!

Okay, for the record, 1955. And I'll take a bunch more lines for the meme, beg forgiveness for that, and many thanks to Wikipedia for the assist.
    January 7 - Marian Anderson is the first African American singer to perform at the Metropolitan Opera in New York City.
    January 22 - Pentagon announces plan to develop ICBMs (intercontinental ballistic missiles) armed with nuclear weapons.
    February 12 - US President Dwight D. Eisenhower sends the first U.S. advisors to South Vietnam.
    April 3 - My mom goes to the hospital and has a full anesthesia for something relatively unimportant.
    April 5 - Winston Churchill resigns as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
    April 5 - Richard J. Daley defeats Robert Merrian to become mayor of Chicago. (Note: King Richard would serve as da Mere of Shicaga until I was in college.)
    April 15 - Ray Kroc opens a McDonald's fast food restaurant; later he took over the company and made it what it is today. Note that the McDonald's I remember, which looked a lot like this, only employed young men because they were being trained for business, and women employees were considered less professional.
    May 5 - West Germany becomes a sovereign state.
    July 17 - Disneyland opens, in Anaheim, California.
    July 27 - El Al Airlines Flight 402 from Vienna to Tel Aviv-Yafo via Istanbul shot down over Bulgaria.
    August 25 - The last Soviet forces leave Austria. (Note: Why were they there? World War II. The Soviet Union was formally at war with Germany until January 25, 1955. Tell that to your history teacher who insists that WWII ended in 1945.)
    August 27 - The first copy of a Guinness World Records book was printed and sold.
    August 28 - 14-year-old African-American Emmett Till is killed in Mississippi after he spoke to a white woman. He was beaten, shot, and thrown into a river, weighted with a cotton gin. The white defendants were acquitted by an all-white jury, but later admitted their guilt. Before his (natural) death in 1994, one of them complained that he hadn't made enough money off of the death as he deserved.
    September 30 - Actor James Dean killed in an automobile accident.
    December 1 - Rosa Parks, refuses to give up her bus seat to a white man and is arrested.
    December 14 - Tappan Zee Bridge in New York opens to traffic.
    December 31 - General Motors becomes the first American corporation to make over USD $1 billion in a year.

My first contact with a computer of any sort: 1971, when I beat the computer at East Tennessee State University at 3D Tic-Tac-Toe (I still have the printout). My first program for a useful purpose, 1978 (in BASIC, which I taught myself from the HP manual; it took data from a spectrometer and calculated areas under the curve). My first experience with interactive, networked computing, 1979 (PLATO at the University of Illinois).

I have lived in interesting times.

Vekter
Now I am become Beth, the employer of squirrels

Postby Vekter » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:09 pm UTC

'89, baby. About to turn 18 next weekend. :D

ALSO:
Pebbles wrote:Crazy to think some people will grow up without learning Pluto as the 9th planet in our solar system.

The hell they will. *grabs shotgun and marches on Johnson SPC (In Houston, kiddies.)*
:lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:

SoapyHobo wrote:Where there's penis, there's Narsil

>:3

Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing

Postby Number3Pencils » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:54 pm UTC

I was born on March 24, 1989, as the Exxon Valdez was crashing in Prince William Sound. And I didn't even need to look on Wikipedia to know it; I always have.

Okay, I did look to see if I had the name of the sound right. But I did, so that doesn't count.
Spoiler:

libellule

Postby libellule » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:06 pm UTC

I was born during the Summer of Love
or The Six Day War.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:09 pm UTC

1986:
January 20 - The first federal Martin Luther King Day, honoring Martin Luther King Jr., is observed.
January 24 - The Voyager 2 space probe makes its first encounter with Uranus. (There's a joke here somewhere)
January 28 - STS-51-L: Space Shuttle Challenger disintegrates 73 seconds after launch...
February 21 (The day after I was born) - The Famicom Disk System and The Legend of Zelda are released in Japan
April 26 - In Ukraine, one of the reactors at the Chernobyl nuclear plant explodes, creating the world's worst nuclear disaster.
August 20 - In Edmond, Oklahoma, United States Postal Service employee Patrick Sherrill guns down 14 of his co-workers before committing suicide. (this incident is credited as the origin of the phrase "going postal")
November 3 - Iran-Contra Affair: The Lebanese magazine Ash-Shiraa reports that the United States has been selling weapons to Iran in secret in order to secure the release of 7 American hostages held by pro-Iranian groups in Lebanon.

Also, Frank Herbert died, which makes me a little sad *sniff*
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

BVD

Postby BVD » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

June '88

and I believe Aviatrix was the only one to understand what pollywog was trying to get at with the "where were you" question....

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:08 pm UTC

1993 has one much more important event: ME! I'm still 13 till November 30. I usually just tell people my birthday is early December. It works.
I think I win.

Is anybody else prior to this?
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:45 am UTC

1990, 10 days within 1989.

1990 was the year to be born in, man...

MikeBabaguh

Re:

Postby MikeBabaguh » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:58 am UTC

davef wrote:1979. Christ, most of you lot are younger than my little brothers! (They're twins, 21)

1979 here also.

Courtesy of Wikipedia:

February 7 - Pluto moves inside Neptune's orbit for the first time since either was known to science.
February 18 - The Sahara Desert experiences snow for 30 minutes.
March 25 - The first fully functional space shuttle orbiter, Columbia, is delivered to the John F. Kennedy Space Center, to be prepared for its first launch.
April 20 - President Jimmy Carter is attacked by a swamp rabbit while fishing in his hometown Plains, Georgia.
April 25 - Bart Simpson's birthday (a fictional character made by Matt Groening).
August 3 - I am born.
November 4 - Iran hostage crisis begins: 3,000 Iranian radicals, mostly students, invade the U.S. Embassy in Tehran and take 90 hostages (53 of whom are American). They demand that the United States send the former Shah back to Iran to stand trial.
December 6 - The world premiere for Star Trek: The Motion Picture is held at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC.

I could've copied another dozen interesting scientific and political events, but I figure these are the most interesting. I didn't know Bart was actually older than me. :/
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

_TiM_

Postby _TiM_ » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:23 am UTC

Yay for us young people.

Too mant ye olde folkes round these parts.

Just kidding, teach us your wisdom, o all-knowing elders.
http://www.myspace.com/mr_t1m0thy
^^ Feel free to add ^^

Zimia

Postby Zimia » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:21 pm UTC

_TiM_ wrote:1993

Yay for us young people.

Too mant ye olde folkes round these parts.

Just kidding, teach us your wisdom, o all-knowing elders.

aye, teach us your wisdom.... *bows* (1993 :wink: )

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:38 pm UTC

... Once again, the 'x' is next to an option that I didn't vote for. Has the migration to phpbb3 messed up the polls, or did phpbb2 just not record choices, and so 3 automatically gives you the first option?

(I was born in 1991, btw)
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

fragsta

Postby fragsta » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:30 pm UTC

Nooo! I'm common!

Stief

Postby Stief » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:55 pm UTC

on my actual birthday...Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev arrives in Havana, Cuba to meet with Fidel Castro in an attempt to mend strained relations...also; In WrestleMania V, Hulk Hogan defeats Randy Savage (with Miss Elizabeth in the neutral corner) to become the WWF Champion. :mrgreen:

the year? 1989, everything has probably been posted about it...I'm gonna add something...
David Hasselhoff thinks he's the sole reason the wall came down...

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:20 am UTC

I want to humbly and gratefully thank all of the posters born in or after 1993 who have logged an entry in the poll. They have pushed that demographic to 2% while the Cow, LoonRadio and I are holding steady as the top 1% of all xkcd'ers.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:57 pm UTC

Yay for being at the height of the distribution...and the height of my youth! *mocks the old men and women*
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:06 pm UTC

1990. When I was little I thought it was so cool that I could easily know how old I would be in any given year by just taking the last number...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Grlmm
Would like to buy a vowel

Postby Grlmm » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:07 pm UTC

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:25 pm UTC

Cassi wrote:1990. When I was little I thought it was so cool that I could easily know how old I would be in any given year by just taking the last number...

Hah, I was happy I could do that simply by adding 1 (born in '79).
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

ehird

Postby ehird » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:39 pm UTC

For the record, I am in the top option.

mrorange
Something from Reservoir Dogs, perhaps?

Postby mrorange » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:18 am UTC

91. im reaally surprised im not one of the youngest people on here. i guess its really neat that even younger people get to experience this awesome sort of community based thing. (the "real internets" as i call them, which i was previously too afraid to adventure out into)
Truth be told/If I can be so bold/Your sig did inspire/What here did transpire/So that you would me admire/cause me to aspire/to greater heights/of lyrical plights.
-ThorFluff
BomanTheBear wrote: but then i started playing rugby and breakdancing.

Return to “General”