Which Ancient Culture Would You Live In?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:24 pm UTC

__Kit wrote:
LoonRadio wrote:I don't know. Somewhere warm and has plumbing.

Eqypt?

Can I have "places where it also wouldn't be particularly terrible to be a woman" for 500?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:51 pm UTC

Probably Post-Medieval, to be cliché, or around the Iron Age. Maybe the Vendel era.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:18 am UTC

If I can be specific, I'd say either the pre-colonization Lakota tribes of North America because I'd probably be a Two-Spirit shaman, being that I 'walk as man' (being with a woman, short hair, athletic, interested in storytelling and horticulture). This means I'd probably have a lot of power. I don't see how being reborn would change me all that much, so I'd 1. have a sweet deal and 2. the Lakota were amazingly interesting.

If not the Lakota, than I'd like to be around in the Age of Piracy. Colonization did a world of harm all over the world, but it gave women a particular amount of freedom at the time they didn't otherwise have. I realize if I was on a ship and didn't hide my gender, I'd probably be pregnant with rape bastards most of the time, unless I was on a privateer (which had a code of conduct). I still am enamored with the dress, style, literature, and overall strange bout of openness that occcurred in the time period that Venice was a major cultural center. Plus, who doesn't love the smell of black powder in the morning?

Also, corsets are hot.

Plamo

Postby Plamo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:23 am UTC

Aztec, Mayan, Prussian, Egyptian, Greek.

All of em sound pretty cool

Of course, Japanese. I'd totally be a Samurai and a Ninja combined.
Uselessnesses... what a silly word.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:39 am UTC

Belial wrote:
__Kit wrote:
LoonRadio wrote:I don't know. Somewhere warm and has plumbing.

Eqypt?

Can I have "places where it also wouldn't be particularly terrible to be a woman" for 500?

Also, Ancient Greece (especially Athens, and to a lesser extent SPAR-TAAAAA!). Not to mention, um, well anywhere during the European dark ages.

ifeedlions

Postby ifeedlions » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:50 am UTC

If I wanted to live in an ancient civilization, the largest settlement of Amish is about 20 miles from here.
Let me fall out of the window, with confetti in my hair...

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:31 am UTC

What about a thread of favourite BOOK places to live in. e.g. middle earth, hogwarts...
=]

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:33 am UTC

I'd want to go to the indo europeans when they had only one language to see what thier religiose belifes were

Invisible Queen

Postby Invisible Queen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:44 am UTC

Polynesia for me. It's probably as close to the paradise of Eden as you can come; abundant food and warmth and water all year led to a mostly peaceful, homeostatic pre-agricultural civilization with such interesting customs as a wealth being determined by how willing a person is to give to everyone else, and topless fridays.

(Not that every day of the week wasn't topless day.)

It's not even that ancient. It lasted until us whiteys came there. Might even be a few islands still untouched by the corruption of western civilization.
Last edited by Invisible Queen on Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything a person can imagine is a concievable reality."

Sunshine

Postby Sunshine » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:57 am UTC

I'm going to have to go with SPAR-TA.
The Spartans had some really interesting ideas about relationships. Firstly, the Spartan marriage ceremony was a simulated abduction. After that, the only way the husband could meet with the wife was by sneaking out of the barracks. She would get ready for him by shaving her head and dressing as a boy. This appeals to me. (the shaven head and boy clothes part)
The really interesting part was that since there were typically so many more males than females, and since husbands were so often out in the field, any married Spartan woman was legally allowed to approach any Spartan male and propose a romantic relationship, in the interesting of producing more Spartans. (And having fun) This led to a very strong community bond. In Sparta, you didn't marry one person. You married Sparta.
Plus they had cool uniforms, and were utter badasses. You know that bit in "300" where Leonidas is all "COME AND GET THEM" to the Persians? Yeah, historical quote. It's written on Leonidas' tomb, and is the motto of the Greek First Army Corps. Any culture that had its one-liners remembered after 2400 years is pretty cool, in my opinion.

EDIT: spelling hurrrrr
Last edited by Sunshine on Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ShadeWolf
Not to be confused with the well-lit variety

Postby ShadeWolf » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:07 am UTC

Medieval Times
The wolf that walks in the dark is no more.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:26 am UTC

Invisible Queen wrote:Polynesia for me. It's probably as close to the paradise of Eden as you can come; abundant food and warmth and water all year led to a mostly peaceful, homeostatic pre-agricultural civilization with such interesting customs as a wealth being determined by how a person is willing to give to everyone else, and topless fridays.

It's not even that ancient. It lasted until us whiteys came there. Might even be a few islands still untouched by the corruption of western civilization.
yeah and plus they use the least traumatiaeing way of raiseing a child I know of

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:39 am UTC

Invisible Queen wrote:Polynesia for me. It's probably as close to the paradise of Eden as you can come; abundant food and warmth and water all year led to a mostly peaceful, homeostatic pre-agricultural civilization with such interesting customs as a wealth being determined by how a person is willing to give to everyone else, and topless fridays.

Pre-Christianity/Pre-European Polynesia would be good, living in paradise, all that stuff. However, "mostly peaceful"? That's not right. Look at Easter Island. Look at the inter-tribal and inter-island wars. Look at pretty much the entire history of Aotearoa. They were very warlike. But they are the most beautiful race on the planet, so I'd have to say I agree. Where, though. It's quite a distinct range of cultures, the Polynesian Triangle. Look at Hawaii, compare it's culture with New Zealand Maori, compare that with Easter Island Birdman culture. I reckon somewhere in the middle. Or Rarotonga, because it is the most beautiful place on Earth, and most Rarotongans look like gods or goddesses, especially when they are moving.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Invisible Queen

Postby Invisible Queen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:44 am UTC

They had wars all the time, sure, but they were nice and polite wars. They might spend several hours beating on each other with non-lethal weapons, and if people on one side got winded they'd take a break until everyone was rested. More like sporting events than wars, really.
"Everything a person can imagine is a concievable reality."

pollywog

Postby pollywog » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:53 am UTC

Invisible Queen wrote:They had wars all the time, sure, but they were nice and polite wars. They might spend several hours beating on each other with non-lethal weapons, and if people on one side got winded they'd take a break until everyone was rested. More like sporting events than wars, really.

True. The Maori had very strict terms of warfare, which was pretty much: No fighting after dark, and if the people you've trapped inside the fortress want to come out for water, let them. Also, they did deal some hefty damage to the British in the Land Wars, and apparently invented modern trench warfare. There's one story I remember from somewhere about a Maori tribe defending a pa (fortress) in the North, when they ran out of ammunition, so they sent a messenger to the British Commander asking for more so that they could continue fighting. So they really did like their fighting.
i'm fucking magic

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:59 am UTC

I didn't realise you were into Maori so much, I don't really agree with/admire/like the culture. Each to his own.
=]

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:01 am UTC

Invisible Queen wrote:They had wars all the time, sure, but they were nice and polite wars. They might spend several hours beating on each other with non-lethal weapons, and if people on one side got winded they'd take a break until everyone was rested. More like sporting events than wars, really.
that's what warfare goes toward if you don't need to get rid of your enimy, then just have to prove that you are dominent

that's why refuseing to surrender sometimes works so well, you aren't playing by the rules

pollywog

Postby pollywog » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:05 am UTC

__Kit wrote:I didn't realise you were into Maori so much, I don't really agree with/admire/like the culture. Each to his own.

Ex-girlfriend was Maori. And there are parts I disagree with. For example, I massively respect Pita Sharples, but don't really like Tariana Turia. Most of them are ok, and the culture is really interesting, I find, especially the language. Although the violence is bad. And the whole "We were here first, so we should have everything" attitude pisses me off, as does the "We're much more connected to the land and more spiritual than Pakeha" also grates, especially when coming from urban Maori who don't have an iwi and couldn't name their whakapapa past their grandparents. Also the "Maori are much better environmentalists than Pakeha". No, you're not, you wiped out the coolest species in the entire country.

So, yeah, parts cool, parts not so cool. Just like any other culture.
i'm fucking magic

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:06 pm UTC

None....but I was really into Greece and Egypt as a kid, mostly just their mythology though. So, if I could be like, a Greek God, well, I'd be all about that. Otherwise, the world used to be a very smelly place. I'm sure one was used to it...but infant mortality was hella-high, and we probably wouldn't have made it.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Return to “General”