what if... - on Pets.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Brineshrimp

Re: what if... - on Pets.

Postby Brineshrimp » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:38 am UTC

I just like ducks because they have attitude. They own the particular spot of land that they occupy. Plus, I'll wake up in the morning and they'll be on the roof in our workshop in the back yard, plus, they are muscovies so they're bulkier and a bit more clumsy when they try to climb things. SOOO very entertaining.

Muscovy:
Spoiler:
Cramped Crustaceans need love too.

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:43 am UTC

Sounds like Canadian Geese. The only ducks I ever see are Mallards, (Or loons? Are Loons technically ducks?) and they're shy as all heck. Like, the mallards I've seen that aren't shy are either beside the train, or in those duck ponds and really like bread crumbs.

Canadian Geese though... They're nasty. They'll chase you away, hissing, if you get too close to their nest. Nevermind that they put the nest right on the sidewalk. Lazy too. I love that I can chase them and they'll just kinda waddle off, not even bothering to open their wings until I pick up the pace.
~Kat

Brineshrimp

Postby Brineshrimp » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:45 am UTC

Yea, the muscovies by our ponds are relatively docile, when I fish there, they'll sit about 3-5 feet next to me waiting for me to catch a fish, and when I do, they essentially attempt to clamor into my lap to eat it. They also take food out of my hands. What's interesting is the park that they reside in is fairly new, about 10 years or so and I've been around to watch the ecosystem develop. The ducks weren't alwasy docile, and were very very shy. Each generation (yes I kept track, it's about .8 generations a year.) gets more and more docile and friendly.

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:47 am UTC

Okay, that is pretty cute. Though they normally warn against feeding the ducks so that they don't get docile like that.
~Kat

Brineshrimp

Postby Brineshrimp » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:48 am UTC

I can understand, but honestly what's bad about tame ducks? Seriously, I'm that much closer to my dream of owning one as a pet :P

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:01 am UTC

Nothing, really, I just don't see the appeal in general. I much prefer harassing the Canadian geese by half-assedly chasing the field. Come to think of it, I chase the squirrels on campus too. I think I spent 10 minutes chasing one around a pole one day (while waiting for a friend) when one of my profs walked by and asked if I was having fun.
~Kat

Brineshrimp

Postby Brineshrimp » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:03 am UTC

Squirells are cute, but they are quite violent at my house. I can't go outside without a rain of acorns dropped deliberately on my head.

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:14 am UTC

The ones on campus are just lazy. They know that there's hundreds of students on campus, all of whom will completely ignore the squirrel in the garbage can, so they don't bother to react. Which means when I jump at them, they get so spooked they tend to to fall INTO the garbage can. Otherwise I chase them up a tree.

Yes, I'm really 5 years old at heart.
~Kat

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:22 am UTC

Katastrophy wrote:The ones on campus are just lazy. They know that there's hundreds of students on campus, all of whom will completely ignore the squirrel in the garbage can, so they don't bother to react. Which means when I jump at them, they get so spooked they tend to to fall INTO the garbage can. Otherwise I chase them up a tree.

You're my hero. <3

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:34 am UTC

Kineticka wrote:
Katastrophy wrote:The ones on campus are just lazy. They know that there's hundreds of students on campus, all of whom will completely ignore the squirrel in the garbage can, so they don't bother to react. Which means when I jump at them, they get so spooked they tend to to fall INTO the garbage can. Otherwise I chase them up a tree.

You're my hero. <3

:D <3
~Kat

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:40 am UTC

Brineshrimp wrote:Squirells are cute, but they are quite violent at my house. I can't go outside without a rain of acorns dropped deliberately on my head.

Squirrels chuck Acorns at people? That's... AWESOME.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Stief

Postby Stief » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:34 pm UTC

Awesome suggestions so far :D

I'm liking the raven idea...They are pretty awesome...

As for me...

Most birds of prey, a huge wolf

OR

a lion, so I can take my friends home, point at the lion in my living room, and scream "JESUS CHRIST A LI-oh wait..." then burst out laughing in a maniacal manner until they leave me and my lion to watch Azumanga Daioh....
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:01 pm UTC

I want a flock of little blue fairy penguins, or a toy lion. Like a toy poodle but, obviously, a lion.

As for squirrels, I once trapped one in a school garbage can then proceeded to bang on the can for five minutes before opening it back up. That was an unhappy squirrel.

I've also chased them into lone, young (10-15-year-old) trees. After that you just shake the tree until the squirrel leaps away in fear. Or attacks.

I once had to extricate a skunk from a yogurt cup he had found in a trash can. It was at the bus stop. Other kids had decided it was a good idea to poke the thing for five minutes before I got there. I'm very surprised they weren't sprayed.

Return to “General”