Tattoos?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cloud Walker

Re: Tattoos? (Recently merged: "Nerdy Tattoo Idea")

Postby Cloud Walker » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:28 am UTC

Jessica wrote:Funny you should say that. It's actually been something that's been bugging me recently. I was looking for something, but I keep finding symbols which technically mean "strength" or "love" or whatever, but they don't really mean it to me. Like... if I believed in it, it would mean something. And, the same with some of the math symbols, because I find they mean something, but not the something that I could find reassuring to put on me.

Damn, being without a belief structure, and not really enjoying math anymore is making things hard :P

You don't need a "belief structure" per se to find your own symbolism.

I, for example, was deeply involved in/addicted to Diablo II:LoD during college. I played for hours and hours over years and years, and got extremely good at an aspect of the game that I focused on (long story about that). I ended up learning a lot about myself and what I was capable of doing if I really put my mind to something. Not to mention I made some great friends, whom I will never forget. The game has ever since had a place close to my heart.

For those that haven't played the game, there's these little collectible items called "runes" that have certain powers when paired with other items. Each rune also has a little, somewhat tribal-looking graphic, as you can see here.

If I wanted a tattoo that means "strength" to me, I might get a Fal rune as a tattoo. I do want something like "strength," actually, but I'm not going with the Fal rune. I'm going to step it up a notch and get a Zod rune. I'm also going to get 5 other particular runes together, and they will mean "honor."

If I wanted something like "love" as a tattoo, I'd consider a small version of the FFVIII logo (without the words/letters, of course). If you haven't played that game, you probably won't understand, but my point is that symbolism is everywhere, and if what matters is that the symbolism means something to you, then all you have to do is sit back and take a trip through your past to find it.

(If these don't qualify as "Nerdy Tattoo Ideas," nothing will :D )
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

DeltaOne

Postby DeltaOne » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:54 pm UTC

http://www.bareflix.com/stonecutters/hammer_symbol.png
I'm going to get this on my bum as an eighteenth birthday present to myself.

BabyfootAssassin

Postby BabyfootAssassin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:19 am UTC

I've been interested in getting a mythology inspired tattoo but I can't find much mythology based art. Does anyone know any good sites, or would I be better off looking for something in a video game that's mythology based?
1. Receive beating until opponent falls asleep.
2. Maul opponent’s unconscious body.
3. Realize that the celebration banana was a trick and that you’ve once again been led into a cage for safe transport.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:45 am UTC

I know some of the symbols for planets are based on mythology.

Also: YAY! Today I just found out about a new tattoo place that's about half as far away as the previous nearest!

attempt

Postby attempt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:55 am UTC

Cloud Walker wrote:
If I wanted something like "love" as a tattoo, I'd consider a small version of the FFVIII logo (without the words/letters, of course). If you haven't played that game, you probably won't understand, but my point is that symbolism is everywhere, and if what matters is that the symbolism means something to you, then all you have to do is sit back and take a trip through your past to find it.

(If these don't qualify as "Nerdy Tattoo Ideas," nothing will :D )

this is for you my first and only tattoo so far. if i were to have any money what so ever, I would be covered in tats. I plan on getting a sexy lady tattoo that will be the black queen chess peice on my inner arm.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:36 pm UTC

attempt wrote:this is for you my first and only tattoo so far. if i were to have any money what so ever, I would be covered in tats. I plan on getting a sexy lady tattoo that will be the black queen chess peice on my inner arm.

Very nice, and very well drawn!

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:25 pm UTC

ok, thread revival time. i came across this slice of awesome yesterday and got intrigued by the ethernet pinout portion of his ruler idea.

dicked around for a bit in illustrator and came up with these modifications:

Straight through AB Pinouts:

AB pinout diagonal
ET1.png

AB pinout vertical offset
ET2.png

AB pinout vertical
ET3.png

Crossover AB pinouts:

Crossover DNA (looks like DNA to me from here)
ET4.png

ET5.png

Crossover Diagonal
ET6.png

ET7.png

crossover vertical
ET8.png

crossover vertical tilt
ET9.png

any thoughts?
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:30 am UTC

It bothers me that that site refers to them as octagons.
They do make a pleasing design. Particularly the ET5.png arrangement. I've spent a few minutes reading up a bit more on home wiring of ethernet connections, so they make some sense. I like it.

The impermanence of computers is a factor in considering a tattoo like this. In the event that the current wired LAN conventions are superceded in coming years, your tattoo will be obsolete. How would this sit with you?
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:59 pm UTC

i don't know about impermanence of computers, we'll always have some form for quite a while....plus, Tattoos aren't just for now, they're to remember things as well, so if CAT6(or whatever) is ever completely replaced, it will instantly be a memorial tattoo instead of a utilitarian one. plus IMO if impermanence is an issue for you, then tattooing isn't the art medium you should be concidering.

i have no idea why the guy called it an octogon, maybe that's why he needs a ruler? can't count?
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

People who have gotten tattoos! Especially people who got custom tattoos! Did you go in for a separate consultation before getting the tattoo? I'm planning to get my first tattoo. The first tattoo artist I liked is in a different city. The second is booked for a long time. The third is also booked for a little while, but when I told the guy on the phone about what I wanted, he said the artist probably wouldn't need a consult, that he would just draw it on me. I told him I'd think about it and call back.

The thing is...I kind of want to see the design, and have the design for a while before getting it done. Is that reasonable? Should I call back and just explain that to him?

I also don't know if I should really be spending this kind of money right now, lol, but that's beside the point.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:27 pm UTC

I haven't gotten a tattoo yet. I was told it is best to design it and then put it away and wait 6mo-1yr or so and see if you still like it. Another idea I had myself is www.straytats.com and you can get cheep custom temp tats made to test out sizing and placement. Good way to try-before-you-buy! I started thinking back last Nov about getting a tattoo, had ideas in my brain, designed it in January (I designed it myself) and I still think about getting it decently often and I still like the design. Probably later this year if/when I have money I'll get it.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:32 pm UTC

Well, I've had the idea for awhile, but I can't draw for shit, so I was going to describe it to the tattoo artist, and have them do it. Then bring the design home, and keep it for a week or two. I've also read that it's best with this type of thing to have it drawn by a tattoo artist, and not some other artist, since the tattoo artist knows what looks best as a tattoo.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:43 am UTC

Yeah I figure I'll get their input but I wanted to design it myself. : )
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

kriel

Postby kriel » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 am UTC

Ashlah wrote:I've also read that it's best with this type of thing to have it drawn by a tattoo artist, and not some other artist, since the tattoo artist knows what looks best as a tattoo.
I have several friends that design tattoos, one of them even gets regular commissions for them, yet they've never touched a needle gun. (I think that's what they call the tattoo-giver-machine.)

Just something to consider.

Low Caliber

Postby Low Caliber » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:35 am UTC

I have promised myself that if I stick to my workout schedule for atleast a year I will allow myself to get a tattoo, and if Holland wins the cup I know what I will get,

GoodRudeFun

Postby GoodRudeFun » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:29 pm UTC

I've had this idea for a tattoo floating in my head for a while, and I'm wondering what people think about it. I want a cyborg gorilla, reading a book.

I'm not really one for a tattoo having to have symbolism, but this one does. I have a bit of a fascination with gorillas and other apes, for their connections to our species (I'm aware there are closer relations) and the similarities between us, specifically socially and psychologically. It also has a little bit to do with Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn. The cyborg bit has to do with my deep interest in post humanism and cyberpunk as a genre. I also enjoy learning and reading, which is why the book is there.

I'm sure someone is going to think this is a rather idiotic tattoo. Which is fine with me. I'm just wondering if there's anyone that actually likes this idea.
Oh. Well that's alright then.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:28 pm UTC

Cyborgs + Gorillas + Books

Sounds good to me.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:08 pm UTC

I'm considering at the moment. I think I might get this
Spoiler:
in about a year when I start med school, because everyone's first stop when they're ill is Aspirin. Then getting some version of the staff of aesculapius when I graduate.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:59 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:The thing is...I kind of want to see the design, and have the design for a while before getting it done. Is that reasonable? Should I call back and just explain that to him?
Seeing the design is not unreasonable. Taking the design from the tattoo artist is unreasonable, as you're essentially asking an architect to draw you up some plans and... without paying for them... walking out the front door. Or asking a programmer to whip you up a quick'n'dirty program to do some function, with the promise that if you like it you'll have them program a better one and actually pay them for it.

There's then absolutely nothing that prevents you from taking that design to some other artist/architect and having them do the work. Now, you may be able to negotiate some sort of fee from the tattoo artist in exchange for the drawing, but... I wouldn't bet on it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:54 pm UTC

I don't mean I want to just take it from the artist. Obviously some awful people probably would, and that's a risk that tattoo artists unfortunately take. It's not uncommon for the actual tattooing session to be completely separate from the design session. The guy on the phone seemed to think he would just draw it on me without letting me really have time to explain what I want and ask for any changes.

And it varies by artist and shop whether they charge you for the time they take to draw up your tattoo. If they didn't charge me outright, I would certainly leave a larger tip than if I did something from a book.

Baldur

Postby Baldur » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:21 pm UTC

I actually put together a rough idea of the design I wanted, with the component pieces printed off. I took this to the tattoo parlour and they gave me a finalised design about a week later, at my needling appointment. I was shown this design and asked if it was ok. It was then drawn on my arm in ink and I was again asked if it was suitable. The actual needling went ahead from there.

I didn't search around different parlours as I knew I could trust this particular one, having seen the results on other people who'd gotten needled there, so I didn't actually take the finalised design away.
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:37 pm UTC

Mmm... now I see what you were saying before, SecondTalon. You're right, I shouldn't expect to take the drawing from the artist out the door with me. I guess I just want to make sure I have time to sit down and talk to the guy about what I want before he does it. Maybe the guy on the phone just didn't really explain what he meant very well.

I'm kind of considering going to the artist out of town. I'll have to call and see how busy she is.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

it's not unreasonable for you to want to see a design on paper before getting it on your skin...or at least something very similar to what's going to be put on your skin (if they're a really good artist, sometimes minor details will change midstream). in most cases, when you call a shop, the shop manager or whoever answers the phone is a buffer between you and the artist. they have SOME knowledge about what goes on in the place, but they're answering the phones instead of tattooing for a reason. never assume everything they tell you is fact, or exactly how things will go down. they tend to make assumptions about what an artist will do or about what you want. if you really like the guy's other work, go down there, or schedule an appointment for a consultation and take it from there.

as previously stated, don't get somebody to draw you something up and then just take that drawing somewhere else. that's just dickish

I've had this idea for a tattoo floating in my head for a while, and I'm wondering what people think about it. I want a cyborg gorilla, reading a book.

I'm not really one for a tattoo having to have symbolism, but this one does. I have a bit of a fascination with gorillas and other apes, for their connections to our species (I'm aware there are closer relations) and the similarities between us, specifically socially and psychologically. It also has a little bit to do with Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn. The cyborg bit has to do with my deep interest in post humanism and cyberpunk as a genre. I also enjoy learning and reading, which is why the book is there.

I'm sure someone is going to think this is a rather idiotic tattoo. Which is fine with me. I'm just wondering if there's anyone that actually likes this idea.

you could just get a party gorilla he's always full of win

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:53 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:Mmm... now I see what you were saying before, SexyTalon. You're right, I shouldn't expect to take the drawing from the artist out the door with me. I guess I just want to make sure I have time to sit down and talk to the guy about what I want before he does it. Maybe the guy on the phone just didn't really explain what he meant very well.

I'm kind of considering going to the artist out of town. I'll have to call and see how busy she is.
Right. While I wouldn't expect to take the mock up from a tattoo artist out the door, at the same time I would also expect the tattoo artist to show me a mock up and ask if it's acceptable, take my design changes into consideration, come back with a new mock up, explain why whatever element I chose is going to look like shit if I want it and give me alternatives and from there (if I press the issue, throw up their hands and say "your choice, dumbass... but I'm going on record now as saying it's going to look like shit) put it on my skin, show me a mirror and ask one last time if I like the placement and so on.

If the artist is sketching something out real quick and saying "this is what it is, take it or leave it" I'll politely decline the offer and move along to a different artist/shop.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Did it!
Attachments
tattoo.jpg

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:09 pm UTC

Me too!
Spoiler:

Yours is super pretty.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:23 pm UTC

Both of those tattoos are really pretty! :D

Yay!!
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

Wow, they're both great!
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:59 pm UTC

oh, wow, i really love them both. and that is a super cute dragon. he should be friends with my dragon.
ImageImageImageImageImage

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

Yeah, I love the fairly simplistic black line tattoos. Very nice :D
Ⓞⓞ◯

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

It's actually a drawing Tolkien did of Smaug. Or so the legend goes. I felt the need to proclaim my nerdyness.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:22 am UTC

I love both of those tattoos!

I have two more tattoos I want to get. The first one is a peace lily(s) with the word "compassion." The second one is an Anais Nin quote: "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."

The problem is I don't know where to get either of these things (although I'm thinking my ankle for one and my forearm for the other). I'm also super fussy about fonts.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:30 am UTC

I'm genuinely considering getting a tattoo now. (Don't worry, I'm not going to be spontaneous. Maybe I'll get one for my birthday, 6 months from now.)
Just a small symbol somewhere. Like a treble clef, or the Deathly Hallows thing or something. My mind is afire with the possibilities!
I mostly lurk. Hello.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:59 pm UTC

OctoSam.jpg

got my octosamurai mostly finished....need to get a little more detail work

unus vox

Postby unus vox » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:26 pm UTC

I'm not a tattoo kind of guy, as I can't imagine any that would enhance the way I look or feel about myself. The closest I've come to a tattoo idea that I like is getting the following quote across my back:

quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
Spoiler:

Overdosed on Apathy

Postby Overdosed on Apathy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:32 pm UTC

I'm fickle, and so I don't much like the idea of getting a tattoo, because I'm afraid I'm going to totally hate it later.

But I always thought about getting this tattooed on my shoulder.
Attachments
aquabat.jpg
aquabat.jpg (6.3 KiB) Viewed 6360 times
Humanity fueled my fear and greed - Cultivate and kill, it's our great legacy.
So much death to undo, but here's a clue: If we can build a bomb, can't we build heaven too?
Nah. Let's make life a living hell.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:14 pm UTC

If you're afraid of being fickle, I probably wouldn't go with something like that. As much as you like a band, music tastes do change.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:
OctoSam.jpg

got my octosamurai mostly finished....need to get a little more detail work

Octosamurai: for swordplay followed by tentacle rape?
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

Someone has just designed me a tattoo and I really love it, but am having to hold off on actually getting it done because of my chosen profession. I'm told it's generally not a good idea for actors (especially in the UK I think) to have tattoos when they're first starting out as it can put off casting directors. I think what I'll do is keep the design for a year to make sure I'm 100% about it and then have it done when the casting season is quiet so it'll be healed enough that I can cover it with that special tattoo-hiding makeup in auditions. Of course in the space of a year maybe my career will take off to the point that people will cast me regardless... :lol:
www.justgiving.com/sarah88

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:49 pm UTC

Good luck and don't give up!

Return to “General”