Tattoos?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

DSenette

Re: Tattoos?

Postby DSenette » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:16 pm UTC

gah....

The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

Moving back to tats.... (though you should click my link if you haven't already)...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Silastic

Postby Silastic » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:58 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Image

Thank you Pseudoidiot, I badly needed a laugh today, and you have provided it.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:00 pm UTC

Huzzah!
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

CHR1110

Postby CHR1110 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

Thinking about going in for my first tat next week...I've got all kinds of stuff planned, and have been working on several pieces for over a year now, just haven't either finished them, or put any plans into action.

However, hopefully that'll be changed next week.

Anyway, the design is:

And placement is:

(Excuse the horrible photo, and general crappyness of my own drawing. I'm not exactly used to drawing on my arms.)

It's an H, but it can be looked at as several things.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

be prepared to explain the shit out of that....first thing that comes to mind is "H is for horse....horse is for heroin"
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:55 pm UTC

Sees:
- The 'H', of course.
- A “does not equal” sign.
- A sprout coming out of the ground.
- An almost Atari symbol.
- A strange wound made by something with claws
- Two lambdas.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue May 17, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

So I've made up my mind to get a tattoo as soon as I manage to save up enough money. It will be on my leg (which I hear is an interesting place to get a tattoo?) and that's about as far as I've gotten. I know I want it to either be a bear or be a symbol for bear, but I can't quite decide on exactly how I want it to look yet. I want it to be monocoloured and not too detailed, more of the style that gives an impression of a bear than an actual drawing of a bear. And I want it to be badass. I know what artist I'm going to as well. So what's missing now is money + design, it will be interesting to see what I'll manage to come up with first.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Tue May 17, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

I think this would suit you.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue May 17, 2011 10:44 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:Image

Link not working :(

they/them/theirs

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Tue May 17, 2011 11:46 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:

Interesting... everything says it's down, but for me, it is not.

Anywhom
Attachments
bear364.gif
bear364.gif (10 KiB) Viewed 12585 times
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed May 18, 2011 8:41 am UTC

Felltir wrote:
AngrySquirrel wrote:

Interesting... everything says it's down, but for me, it is not.

Anywhom

Ah yes, that one. There's a bit too many details/lines on it than I'd like, but maybe I can edit it in some way.

To the gimp!

they/them/theirs

yawningdog

Postby yawningdog » Wed May 18, 2011 12:24 pm UTC

I recommend avoiding tats that have too much detail. I have 3, the first one I got 22 years ago (a wolf). It has gotten fuzzy over the years and much of the detail is lost so it doesn't look nearly as good as when it was new. My other two tats are much simpler and they still look nice. Go for something tastefully understated and you will be less likely to regret it.
"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
- Bruce Lee

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Wed May 18, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

Yeah, but if you want a complex one you can always get it touched up, right? Extra expense, sure, but if it's the design you want...
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Wed May 18, 2011 1:53 pm UTC

Very thin lines can blur over time. I believe that if the ink is low quality or mixed wrong, not deep enough or you have a bad artist the chances are pretty high. If everything is done right and healed quickly the blurring will be minimal or even nonexistent.

The linework on my first tattoos is very fine and intricate but I'm okay with the fact that they may not be perfect in 30 years just like I'm okay that the color will fade without touchups. Part of getting large or intricate tattoos is accepting that they need maintenance and always being sure of what you're getting and where so as to minimize wear.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 18, 2011 2:03 pm UTC

Virtual_Aardvark wrote:Very thin lines can blur over time. I believe that if the ink is low quality or mixed wrong, not deep enough or you have a bad artist the chances are pretty high. If everything is done right and healed quickly the blurring will be minimal or even nonexistent.

And sun. You can have a tattoo or you can have a tan. You can't have both. Not if you want the tattoo to look good.

Even then, with perfect care, you're still looking at 30-40 years before it starts to get fuzzy.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed May 18, 2011 2:21 pm UTC

I've known a handful of people who got colorful fine lined tat's when they were younger, and now, in their 40s, 50s, 60s, the ink has faded and blurred a bit, but still looks pretty good. I'm not disagreeing with anything that's been said, but sometimes a bit of aging adds character to the tattoo itself.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

CHR1110

Postby CHR1110 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

On the topic of fading/blurring, keep in mind that tattoos can be re-inked. They'll show up a bit darker than before, more than likely, but you still can bring back the definition to them.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu May 19, 2011 1:02 pm UTC

typically, when a tattoo gets "blown out" (fuzzy, ink creep, etc...) in an unreasonable amount of time it's because of substandard supplies, a substandard artist, or not taking care of the work properly.

i've seen extremely fine line portrait stuff (photo realistic) that's lasted 20+ years....and i've seen simple line drawing stuff that looks like shit in 6 months.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Fri May 20, 2011 6:35 am UTC

Getting my second tattoo on June second! Worked out really well to be right after my last college lecture. And really the end of everything because I have zero finals for the first time ever. Anyway...it's not the cube on the forearm I was debating earlier. I'm getting a paisley/henna-inspired design on the front of my left shoulder, with a cube worked in there somewhere. I've been working on a design for some time, but I'm not an artist, and told my tattoo artist that I'm pretty open to his ideas to make it awesome. I'm excited to see how it turns out!

I told him I wanted it in brown ink, which he said is fine, but that he's noticed that it sometimes takes more than one go for it to take. But he does free touch-ups for a year, so cost at least wouldn't be an issue. That got me thinking, though, do you tip a tattoo artist for a free touch up? I feel like you should, but I'm not sure how much, since you can't really calculate a percentage of zero.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri May 20, 2011 12:21 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:Getting my second tattoo on June second! Worked out really well to be right after my last college lecture. And really the end of everything because I have zero finals for the first time ever. Anyway...it's not the cube on the forearm I was debating earlier. I'm getting a paisley/henna-inspired design on the front of my left shoulder, with a cube worked in there somewhere. I've been working on a design for some time, but I'm not an artist, and told my tattoo artist that I'm pretty open to his ideas to make it awesome. I'm excited to see how it turns out!

I told him I wanted it in brown ink, which he said is fine, but that he's noticed that it sometimes takes more than one go for it to take. But he does free touch-ups for a year, so cost at least wouldn't be an issue. That got me thinking, though, do you tip a tattoo artist for a free touch up? I feel like you should, but I'm not sure how much, since you can't really calculate a percentage of zero.

i tip my tattoo artist for everything.

for the touch ups...give the guy what you think you want to...any money is better than no money

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:I told him I wanted it in brown ink, which he said is fine, but that he's noticed that it sometimes takes more than one go for it to take. But he does free touch-ups for a year, so cost at least wouldn't be an issue. That got me thinking, though, do you tip a tattoo artist for a free touch up? I feel like you should, but I'm not sure how much, since you can't really calculate a percentage of zero.

Tip for time.

Let's say the artist took a couple of design elements and combined them - like putting two or more flash pieces together, took something you brought in but added more spikes, whatever. Something that required more than just copying, but wasn't a total original creation on request. Let's assume the tattoo is roughly fist sized in area.

Let's now assume the artist took two hours to get it on you after the 30 minute drawing phase. Let us now assume you were charged $200 for the whole thing.

call it $50 for the art design, $30 for ink and so on, and $120 for time. This means the artist values his time at $58 an hour. Call it $60, and tip based $60 an hour, $15 for ink and such. So if the touch up takes 30 minutes, pretend you were charged $45.

That's one way to do it, at least.

(Note:All figures pulled straight from ass. This is just meant as an example for you to figure it out on your own.)

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:09 pm UTC

^Thanks for the advice, lots of good points.

And here's the tattoo! I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.
(I had fun with the fake Polaroid trend)
Attachments
IMG_0216-pola03.jpg

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

I like it!

This is making me itch for another tattoo. I should really start thinking about what I'd want and where I'd want to put it.

Currently I have a devil on one shoulder (my other shoulder is conspicuously devoid of an angel) and a Bad Religion cross buster on my shoulder blade. I'm thinking my next one should be nerdy.

SamaraLexx

Postby SamaraLexx » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:44 pm UTC

That's a beautiful tattoo.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Indeed. I'm envious, actually.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:05 am UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:I like it!

This is making me itch for another tattoo. I should really start thinking about what I'd want and where I'd want to put it.

Currently I have a devil on one shoulder (my other shoulder is conspicuously devoid of an angel) and a Bad Religion cross buster on my shoulder blade. I'm thinking my next one should be nerdy.

I'm in a similar situation. I have two, both are plain symbols (treble clef, and infinity) but I'd like something new. Not sure whether to stick with the black and simple trend I seem to have. I've been thinking dinosaurs a lot lately. Dinosaur tramp-stamp? Dinosaurs are nerdy, right?

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

I have several more that I want, but I really don't know where to put them. Most of them are text, so I feel like they have to be big enough to be readable. I also can't decide on fonts, and I feel like I have to get all of my text tattoos in the same font family, otherwise it will be silly. ...Also I'm trying to spend money on a house, and not tattoos right now.

Tattoos I want (the Anais Nin one is the only one I'm totally sure about):
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin
"… Without a sense of identity, there can be no real struggle…" - Paulo Freire
"The highest forms of understanding we can achieve are laughter and human compassion." - Richard Feynman
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:43 am UTC

I want 'So it goes' on the inside of my forearm but I can't commit to the location. Also looking at inner bicep.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

Someone I know had 'Born this way' tattooed down their arm a few days ago. The irony of it only just struck me.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

I was thinking about getting "trample the weak" on my left calf and "hurdle the dead" on my right calf.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:34 pm UTC

Gears wrote:I was thinking about getting "trample the weak" on my left calf and "hurdle the dead" on my right calf.

I once knew a guy who had "Invictus" (latin for "unconquerable") down the back of one arm. If you going for a "look how cool and tough I am" tattoo it seems like a good one.

I have several more that I want to get. I plan them all as self-rewards. When I finish my BS in math I want to get "Quod Erat Demonstrandum" on my chest (it'd look something like this), and for the MS I'm going to get the golden spiral on my left shoulder blade. The comp sci degrees are harder to come up with a representation for. I'm thinking a mom-heart tattoo, something like this, except instead of "mom" it would say "Ada". But I rather like this as an idea, too.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:39 pm UTC

Welp, I've decided my next tattoo is going to be a Vegvisir on my left inner arm. They look like this:

I'm on late shift at work this week, so I rang a nearby parlour this morning. "Have you got any morning slots available Thursday or Friday?" says I. "Sure!" says he, "Just bring a picture or drawing of your tat down for me to look at and give you a time and price estimate." I drive down, show him the image, and he says he's no slots available for weeks. Motherfucker.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Wow, I must've been pretty lucky for both of mine. For the first one, I went in and discussed what I wanted, compared to some existing art he'd done and what I'd like different. I went in the next day to have the tattoo done.

For my other one, I went in with a copy of what I wanted and got it done same day.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

At the shop I went to, it really depended on the artist you went to. My artist was typically booked for a couple days, but it wasn't too hard to find an open time within the week. One of the other artists I was originally interested in is always booked months in advance (probably due to him being voted the best tattoo artist in the city a couple years in a row). I'm not sure why your shop didn't set an appointment for you when you called, just to make sure they those open slots didn't get filled in the meantime (as they did).

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:29 pm UTC

I've been wanting to get this done for multiple years, now (although with pale blue rather than red/pink...maybe just the black parts). I think if I haven't decided against it in this time, it's time to get it done. I'm thinking on my upper back on the left side.

I may have to get someone to clean up the image a bit before I bring it in. It'll be my first.

Mous

Postby Mous » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

I got a tattoo with my tax returns. Heh.
It was actually a bad idea because I wear long sleeves all the time anyway, so no one ever sees it. But it was lots of fun to get anyway.
0711111754.jpg
0711111754.jpg (35.94 KiB) Viewed 11718 times
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

Both of those are very nice!
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

Rbp-7-Ooz

Postby Rbp-7-Ooz » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:45 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:I've been wanting to get this done for multiple years, now (although with pale blue rather than red/pink...maybe just the black parts). I think if I haven't decided against it in this time, it's time to get it done. I'm thinking on my upper back on the left side.
http://i.imgur.com/pl0q9.jpg
I may have to get someone to clean up the image a bit before I bring it in. It'll be my first.

Love the SotC weak point.... LOVE IT!

However I agree with Tycho & Gabe, They're a Godamn liabilty!
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/10/21/

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

I got freshly inked last night! My second tat, one I wanted to get before I go on the Rally:

Spoiler:
PICT0020a.jpg

It's a Vegvísir, an Icelandic "magical" stave. I hope it does what it says on the tin.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Return to “General”