From the subjective to the objective

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Menacing Spike

From the subjective to the objective

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:08 pm UTC

I'm interested to your approach there XKCDans.

Suppose you want to map a RGB colour to a "colourful" measure (as in, "intense colour", not "variety of intense colours"). How would you proceed?
To get thing started, I could envision 2 approaches:

1) An heuristic: considering 'vivid' is NOT 'white', 'gray', or 'black', maybe something like max ( (R-G)^2 , (R-B)^2, (R-G)^2 ). This could be modified to account for high Rs having a better return or something.

2) Get people online to vote on how vivid a colour is ("<blink>Can you answer the same than the majority? Win an iPhone!</blink>"). Then use those answers to interpolate a function f(U,V) so that we get
vividness = luminance * f(chrominance)

What would you do?

eSOANEM
:D

Re: From the subjective to the objective

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:52 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:1) An heuristic: considering 'vivid' is NOT 'white', 'gray', or 'black', maybe something like max ( (R-G)^2 , (R-B)^2, (R-G)^2 ). This could be modified to account for high Rs having a better return or something.

I would do something along these lines although I feel like this exact algorithm would bias against non-primary colours. What would probably be better is to convert into a hue-sat-lum colour space and then have "vividness" being some function of primarily saturation and luminosity (possibly with some slight weighting to make reds more vivid than blues).
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Aiwendil

Re: From the subjective to the objective

Postby Aiwendil » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:20 pm UTC

It seems to me that in hue-saturation-value coordinates, 'colourful colours' would be those with with high saturation and high value. In other words, you'd just want a function of saturation and value that was monotonically increasing in both. It is an interesting question, though, whether hue plays a role in how we perceive the vividness of a colour. I can put myself in a frame of mind where I say, 'no, a vivid blue and a vivid red are equally colourful, just different colours' or one where I say, 'yes, reds and yellows are more vivid than blues and greens'.

Return to “General”