I think I killed my Macbook

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

I Zimbra

I think I killed my Macbook

Postby I Zimbra » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:13 pm UTC

So I had a container of Woolite come open in my bag a few days ago and it got on my macbook, on the left side where the ports are, and mostly towards the back where the charging port is. The computer was on (in sleep mode) when it happened, and I would guess it was on there for about 20 minutes before I noticed it. I immediately turned it off, pulled the battery, and set it up tipped on it's back so that anything in there might drain out the port on the back.

I left it like that for a couple of days, and when I finally got the sack to turn it back on, it started up normally, but thought it was plugged into the charger, even though it wasn't. It also wouldn't recognize the charger when it was plugged in until I cleaned the port with alcohol. then it froze up after about 5 minutes. I restarted it and checked istat. The fan was spinning normally, and nothing was getting excessively hot, but it still froze.

Does anyone have any ideas/similar experience on this? Should I pony up for Apple to repair it?
Take your play seriously

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

Wow, I don't really know what to say other than...

What could possibly possess you to laundry detergent and an expensive laptop (much less one that is ON) in the same backpack?
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

I Zimbra

Postby I Zimbra » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:29 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:Wow, I don't really know what to say other than...

What could possibly possess you to laundry detergent and an expensive laptop (much less one that is ON) in the same backpack?

I was emptying out my old apartment and I thought "I'll take this half bottle of Woolite, I'd hate to have to buy more." So I threw it in my bag. Believe me, I recognize my own stupidity.
Take your play seriously

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:36 pm UTC

There are sooo many things that could be causing the problem. If you feel comfortable doing so, cracking open the case and cleaing everything inside with a Qtip and alcohol could help. My guess is that there is a short somewhere (assuming that the fluid is conductive, which I'm betting it is).

Return to “The Help Desk”