Almost all files saying "Path does not exist"

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

mitch1423

Almost all files saying "Path does not exist"

Postby mitch1423 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Can't open new downloads, can't open any programs it seems. Not really sure what the problem is. I recently had a hard drive fail, and after trying to run a diagnostic on it with Western Digital's own software, it screwed up the main drive as I couldn't boot, so I repaired that with a windows cd I had. Then when I got it to boot, everything seemed fine. I could run programs like Chrome, Steam, Dota 2 (Game), Explorer, Notepad. They all still work, but I have no idea what is wrong with all the other programs. I had this happen before too, on another computer. Could this be some kind of huge error in Windows 8? I fixed it last time with a reinstall, though I would prefer not to do that for obvious reasons.

dudiobugtron

Re: Almost all files saying "Path does not exist"

Postby dudiobugtron » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

How are you trying to run the programs? (ie: what are you actually clicking on, and how did you get there?)

It might be because they're installed in directories that you can access as an administrator (when installing the programs) but not as a normal user (when trying to run them). If it's possible, try logging in as administrator and try to run those programs the same way, to see if that works.

Other than that, I can't really suggest anything (other than 'user error' of course!) - I don't know much about Windows 8.

mitch1423

Postby mitch1423 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Trying to run programs with explorer, I'm logged in as administrator, I don't think it's a file access issue, but I'll try to mess with those settings. Do you know of any tools to check for errors on hard drives? The windows built-in one doesn't seem to want to start.

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

If the Western Digital one screwed up the file structure (or whatever), then I'm not sure what a third-party application would do! :)

I'd suggest finding a program that works on a boot disk, so you're not in Windows when doing it though. If you want something more than what a quick google search can come up with:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofth ... hddiag.htm
Then I can't help, sorry! :)

Other things to try though include running notepad, then trying to open the files you can't open in explorer. If it works, then at least you know you can access the files somehow. Also, try saving downloaded files somewhere else, and see if you can access them there. If it's a hard drive problem, that might not fix it, but if it's some sort of file directory error then that should be fine. Also, can you open any files (eg: txt files, images) in those directories?

cphite

Postby cphite » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

I actually had this problem a while back with a Windows Vista machine. In my case, the issue was that the file system was corrupted and that even though the files were still there, the system couldn't access them because the security information was missing. I could see the files, but couldn't open the files. Unfortunately the only solution that worked for me was to nuke it from orbit - format the drive and re-install Windows.

It sounds like your WD software mucked something up with the file system. I would suggest getting anything you truly need off the drive as soon as you can. If you have an external drive that'd be ideal. If Windows gives you trouble moving files, you might consider booting up to something like Ubuntu or Linux Mint - either can be run from a USB stick without installing them - and using that to copy the data you need. I prefer Mint for pure simplicity.

After you've copied off your data, you could try running a full chkdsk (including the option to fix, so you'll need to reboot) but be warned that depending on how your file system is corrupted this may make things worse.

Return to “The Help Desk”