Assigning a Drive Letter to my iPhone

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Assigning a Drive Letter to my iPhone

Postby 22/7 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:57 am UTC

OK, so long story short, a friend took a video on their iPhone which their 2-year-old erased and I'm trying to figure out how to recover it. It looks like there are about 30 different free software suites that will do it, but they all require the device to show up as an actual drive (not as a camera/scanner). I'm about 5 hours deep and my Google-Fu is running dry. Anybody have any suggestions? I've got access to a machine with XP and another with Vista, though I could probably get access to one with 7 if need be (and my wife is running OSX, though I'm not nearly as familiar with Macs). We both have the iPhone 4s, so I should be able to recreate whatever I'm doing with my phone which might help with testing ideas.

From what I can tell from the forums, it's doable via jailbreak, but I'm not going to ask my friend to jailbreak his phone so that I can recover a video off of it (it's for me, not him).

Anyway, any help would be very much appreciated! If we can figure this out, I'd be happy to post a link to the video for funsies. Thanks in advance!
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Knuckx

Re: Assigning a Drive Letter to my iPhone

Postby Knuckx » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

You have to jailbreak. A standard iOS device has no mode that will expose direct access to /dev/disk0s2 aka /private/var/ over USB, or any other interface. The only interfaces available (MTP & AppleMobileDeviceService) allow file access (no direct FS access, which a recovery tool will need) to /private/var/mobile/Media/ or /private/var/root/Media/ (dependant on iOS version).

If you gain access to the partition via a jailbreak, be warned that it is probably not formatted as FAT32 - on all iOS devices I have ever used, both partitions are formatted as HFSX, so I doubt any of your disk recovery tools will support it.

Good Luck :)

Return to “The Help Desk”