Comcast business internet - migrating away from static IPs

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Ryom

Comcast business internet - migrating away from static IPs

Postby Ryom » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:00 am UTC

So here's my conundrum. I have Comcast business internet with 5 static IP addresses to host a few servers. Servers that I no longer am running. I'd like to drop the static addresses so I can save $20 a month AND so that I can use my own modem (Comcast forces you to RENT their modem to use static addresses for $12.95 PER MONTH) for a total substantial savings of ~$33 per month. However, I'd still like to have at least one internet routable address (i.e., not a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x, etc) assigned to my personal PC to host various servers. My other equipment can connect via NAT'd addresses.

So I haven't actually had to toy with network configuration for over a decade now and I'm not certain of what I'm doing anymore. Is there a way I can assign the dynamic routable IP I get to my PC (via DMZ perhaps?) so I can host services without any drama and have my other equipment use internal addresses (192.168.x.x) to get internet service? How would I set this up?

KnightExemplar

Re: Comcast business internet - migrating away from static I

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:18 pm UTC

http://dyn.com/remote-access/

Check out the "remote DNS" option. Basically, you run a daemon on your computer to ping DynDNS every now and then, and they keep your DNS entry up-to-date. Whenever your IP Address changes, your site will go offline until the daemon contacts DynDNS for the update. You'll also have to set your router to do either port-forwarding or DMZ for this to work correctly.

Some routers work with DynDNS automatically (but you still have to configure the router).

I know there are competing services... but I haven't done much research into those.

Ryom wrote:So I haven't actually had to toy with network configuration for over a decade now and I'm not certain of what I'm doing anymore. Is there a way I can assign the dynamic routable IP I get to my PC (via DMZ perhaps?) so I can host services without any drama and have my other equipment use internal addresses (192.168.x.x) to get internet service? How would I set this up?

Long story short, port forwarding. Its different on different routers, so you'll have to research yourself.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Return to “The Help Desk”