Samsung smartphone breaks wifi? UPDATE: Do I need dual-band?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Mr. Mack

Samsung smartphone breaks wifi? UPDATE: Do I need dual-band?

Postby Mr. Mack » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:45 pm UTC

I recently got a new phone, a Samsung Stratosphere II. Since my data plan is "don't," I've been using the wifi on it. But whenever I turn its wifi on, everything else on the wifi gets kicked off, such as my computer and 3DS. As soon as I turn my phone's wifi off, everything else is able to get back on. The modem/wireless router is an Xfinity brand. I tried calling Comcast and blaming them, because Comcast, but it really does seem entirely linked to my phone.

Can anybody provide some insight?
Last edited by Mr. Mack on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

cphite

Re: Samsung smartphone breaks wifi?

Postby cphite » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:52 pm UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:I recently got a new phone, a Samsung Stratosphere II. Since my data plan is "don't," I've been using the wifi on it. But whenever I turn its wifi on, everything else on the wifi gets kicked off, such as my computer and 3DS. As soon as I turn my phone's wifi off, everything else is able to get back on. The modem/wireless router is an Xfinity brand. I tried calling Comcast and blaming them, because Comcast, but it really does seem entirely linked to my phone.

Can anybody provide some insight?

Questions:

1. Is the phone itself able to connect to your wireless network?
2. When you say "kicked off" do you mean they cannot connect to the internet, or they are dropped from the router entirely?
3. Do you have any devices connected by wire to the router? If so, do they also get dropped?
4. When you say the devices reconnect "as soon as" do you mean it's immediate? Or is there a few seconds delay?

My guess is that your phone is causing interference with your router. Another possibility would be an IP conflict, but that should only affect one device, not all of them.

One way to test would be to get on your computer and open a command prompt. Ping your router using ping <ip> -t (replace <ip> with your router's ip address) and let that run. Turn on your phone's wifi connection for a minute or two, and then turn it back off.

If you see the pings stop getting a reply the moment your phone is on, and then they start again the moment your phone is off, it's probably interference. In that case, you could try switching the channel on your router, but should probably replace the phone because it's likely a problem with the wifi card.

If the pings do NOT stop when the phone is turned on above, then it's not interference. In that case, replace the ip of your router in the ping command with something like http://www.google.com and run the same test again. If the pings stop when your phone is on, you need to call Comcast.

Mr. Mack

Re: Samsung smartphone breaks wifi?

Postby Mr. Mack » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:23 pm UTC

1. The phone can connect, but nothing else.
2. It kind of alternates. Sometimes it all works, then the network works but not the internet, then the network connection is lost.
3. My girlfriend's computer is connected by wire, her connection is unaffected.
4. Few seconds delay, but no longer than how long it normally takes to connect.

I tried pinging my ip like you suggested, and it replies "Request timed out" or "Destination host unreachable." So that means it is interference? I actually got this phone through insurance as a replacement after I broke my previous phone (which later finished itself off), and replacing it isn't really something I can do.
How do I change the channel on my router?Or should I just save up and buy a dual band router?

Thanks for the help!

Update: I found some directions for changing my router channel online. I was worried it would be over my head, but it turns out I just had to reread it and contact Customer Support. I have also since learned that a dual band router actually would have helped, as apparently none of my neighbors have one. But this solution was actually in my price range.

Update 2: Apparently changing the router channel is a temporary fix. Would a dual band router help?
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Return to “The Help Desk”