Laptop stuck on reboot loop

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

poochyena

Laptop stuck on reboot loop

Postby poochyena » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:08 pm UTC

My MSI laptop wont get past the MSI logo when starting up, it just restarts after about 30 seconds.

Things i've tried:
I loaded up Puppy linux, and it gave me an error that i never had before, and i had to go through the "XorgWizard", but it set up fine, and puppy linux worked just fine.
I tried windows restore point, nothing.
I tried windows refresh... but it said the harddrive was locked, and it couldn't complete it.
I removed the battery and started it without the battery.. no change
I was able to access my harddrive through Puppy linux, so i'm not sure if its a harddrive problem. Puppy loads onto the ram, so ram should be fine.

Any suggestions?

I'm using windows 8.1

--So was able to go to windows recovery and do some stuff, nothing helped, but i went to cmd.. Normally its C:\blah blah, but it was X:\blah blah
I have 3 partitions, C, D, and X
C is the main, D has nothing in it, and X is my encrypted drive.
Is it trying to just read the encypted drive for some reason? Does thus further prove its a windows 8.1 issue, or is it an issue with the wrong partition being read?

poochyena wrote:I'd just like to update saying that I believe windows 8.1 was simply corrupted.
I remember that my dad had a copy of windows 7, and i was able to load that on there, and its working fine (so far)

I'm going to call MSI again and see if they'll send me a copy of windows 8 so i can re-load it onto my laptop(which they said they'll do)(yes, i like windows 8.1 much better than 7, I hate windows 7).

Thank you everyone for your help, I hope this thread can help others in the future.
Last edited by poochyena on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sizik

Re: Laptop stuck on reboot loop

Postby Sizik » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:52 pm UTC

Have you tried disconnecting all drives except C?
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

osroot

Postby osroot » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:15 pm UTC

If the laptop tries do boot from X, then something in the MBR could be wrong.
I'm sure that there are many programs which can fix that, I for myself would install grub via puppy linux, simply because thats what I know best.

poochyena

Postby poochyena » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:00 pm UTC

osroot wrote:If the laptop tries do boot from X, then something in the MBR could be wrong.
I'm sure that there are many programs which can fix that, I for myself would install grub via puppy linux, simply because thats what I know best.

I seen that i could flag the partition that the OS is installed on, C, and set it to boot
I restarted
It now no longer restarts, it simply stays on the MSI loading screen forever(instead of restarting after 30seconds)
The keyboard no longer works
wut.

When i restarted, i went to the bios and set it back to uefi, so it will boot from the harddrive and not the CD.
I then turned it off then on again, went to bios.... and couldn't use any of my keys, the keys did nothing.
Restarted again, can't access bios. assumingly because the DEL key(or any other key) isn't being registered now for some reason.
So, now, i can't even use Puppy Linux(or any other CD for that matter).

Gonna try and restart a few more times and hope i get lucky and it works again.

keyboard works again! don't know what happen, i had to restart about 3 or 4 times for it to work again

Unless something changes or anyone has suggestions, i assume the only thing i can do is take the harddrive out, back everything up somewhere else, and then re-install windows 8.1/do a factory reset.

I've only had this laptop for a few month too, ugh...

----

SYSTEM was set to boot
I tried flagging OS_Install with boot, and also de-flagging SYSTEM from boot
when i did that, the computer would do the same thing, except instead of restarting every 30 seconds during start up, it wouldn't restart, and would try to load infinity.

I'm not sure about those warnings, it says that the disk can't be read.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:33 am UTC

My guess (based on what Gparted says) is that you have a faulty hard drive. Hopefully, it's covered under warranty.

I suppose it's also possible that the HD itself is ok but that there's some fault on the motherboard causing the problems. Or it could be just a loose or faulty data cable connecting the HD to the motherboard. So if you plug this drive into another machine it might work perfectly...

To test the drive you could run badblocks (in read-only mode) from Puppy. But if you're feeling paranoid, it's probably a Good Idea to rescue your personal data ASAP, and to minimize subjecting this HD to further wear and tear. You can use ddrescue to save your partitions to image files on another drive (IIRC, ddrescue is installed on most recent Linux distros, including Puppy). But if a partition doesn't have many files on it, it's probably more efficient to do a simple file-by-file copy (eg using rsync). OTOH, ddrescue can rescue stuff from partitions that are corrupted due to bad blocks; the data on the bad blocks will get zeroed in the image file, but that can be better than losing the whole file.

poochyena

Postby poochyena » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:45 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:My guess (based on what Gparted says) is that you have a faulty hard drive. Hopefully, it's covered under warranty.

I suppose it's also possible that the HD itself is ok but that there's some fault on the motherboard causing the problems. Or it could be just a loose or faulty data cable connecting the HD to the motherboard. So if you plug this drive into another machine it might work perfectly...

To test the drive you could run badblocks (in read-only mode) from Puppy. But if you're feeling paranoid, it's probably a Good Idea to rescue your personal data ASAP, and to minimize subjecting this HD to further wear and tear. You can use ddrescue to save your partitions to image files on another drive (IIRC, ddrescue is installed on most recent Linux distros, including Puppy). But if a partition doesn't have many files on it, it's probably more efficient to do a simple file-by-file copy (eg using rsync). OTOH, ddrescue can rescue stuff from partitions that are corrupted due to bad blocks; the data on the bad blocks will get zeroed in the image file, but that can be better than losing the whole file.

I want to say its the Harddrive, but i can still access the harddrive perfectly fine with puppy. I can open and save stuff onto it fine, so it makes me unsure.

I am able to use windows repair, and access the cmd, and ran a disk check. It took around an hour, and said it found and corrected several problems.
It did make a difference.. instead of restarting after 30seconds, it restarts after 10 to 15 seconds of trying to load. weird.

also in the windows repair thing, I can't refresh windows, it says the drive is locked. Also, running another command in cmd(can't remember which), it said "0 installations of windows found".. not sure what that means.

I'll back everything up and look more into the harddrive to see if its faulty
Thank you

osroot

Postby osroot » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:09 pm UTC

could it be that, however it managed this, your OS encrypted the system partition, too?

another problem still could be an faulty MBR. There are many tools which can check or repair it, I simply don't know them, perhaps someone else can help with that.

poochyena

Postby poochyena » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:53 pm UTC

I've tried all the commands in cmd that should fix the mbr atleast twice so far, starting to think thats not it..

gonna run some tests with Puppy, will update.

poochyena

Postby poochyena » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:35 pm UTC

I'd just like to update saying that I believe windows 8.1 was simply corrupted.
I remember that my dad had a copy of windows 7, and i was able to load that on there, and its working fine (so far)

I'm going to call MSI again and see if they'll send me a copy of windows 8 so i can re-load it onto my laptop(which they said they'll do)(yes, i like windows 8.1 much better than 7, I hate windows 7).

Thank you everyone for your help, I hope this thread can help others in the future.

Return to “The Help Desk”