Clearing Internet Explorer's Authentication Cache

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Clearing Internet Explorer's Authentication Cache

Postby Jorpho » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:08 am UTC

I have made the very silly decision to try to debug a little router problem. The configuration page is accessed via a browser and pops up one of those "Authorization required" dialogs. Typing in the correct username and password means that the username and password won't have to be entered again until rebooting – and therein lies the problem. I need to get that dialog back so I can log in as a different user.

Much Googling suggests that I am seeking to clear the authentication cache Internet Explorer 8, but I can't figure out how to do this. http://www.adopenstatic.com/cs/blogs/ke ... 12/14.aspx suggests I need to execute document.execCommand(ClearAuthenticationCache, false), but typing javascript:document.execCommand(ClearAuthenticationCache, false) in the address bar (or javascript:document.execCommand("ClearAuthenticationCache", false) ) does not do the job. Also suggested therein is to go into the Security Settings in Internet Options and changing the last item, under "User Authentication: Logon", but that doesn't seem to make a difference either.

Any suggestions?

cphite

Re: Clearing Internet Explorer's Authentication Cache

Postby cphite » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:22 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I have made the very silly decision to try to debug a little router problem. The configuration page is accessed via a browser and pops up one of those "Authorization required" dialogs. Typing in the correct username and password means that the username and password won't have to be entered again until rebooting – and therein lies the problem. I need to get that dialog back so I can log in as a different user.

Much Googling suggests that I am seeking to clear the authentication cache Internet Explorer 8, but I can't figure out how to do this. http://www.adopenstatic.com/cs/blogs/ke ... 12/14.aspx suggests I need to execute document.execCommand(ClearAuthenticationCache, false), but typing javascript:document.execCommand(ClearAuthenticationCache, false) in the address bar (or javascript:document.execCommand("ClearAuthenticationCache", false) ) does not do the job. Also suggested therein is to go into the Security Settings in Internet Options and changing the last item, under "User Authentication: Logon", but that doesn't seem to make a difference either.

Any suggestions?

Try opening IE and clicking File--> New Session; it should open a new instance of IE. Close the previous one.

If that doesn't work, and the stuff you tried already didn't work, then your only option may be to reboot or at least log out and then in again.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:50 am UTC

Gosh, I did not know about that. That seems to work. Thank you!

I'm still kind of curious if there's an alternative method.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:34 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Much Googling suggests that I am seeking to clear the authentication cache Internet Explorer 8, but I can't figure out how to do this. http://www.adopenstatic.com/cs/blogs/ke ... 12/14.aspx suggests I need to execute document.execCommand(ClearAuthenticationCache, false), but typing javascript:document.execCommand(ClearAuthenticationCache, false) in the address bar (or javascript:document.execCommand("ClearAuthenticationCache", false) ) does not do the job.

This is probably meant to be typed into the console while on the page in question. I dont' know exactly where that is, but bring up Developer Tools with F12 and look around.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:40 pm UTC

Aha! I didn't think of that either – in IE 8, it's under the Script tab of the Development Tools. To be clear, document.execCommand("ClearAuthenticationCache", false) works; without the quotation marks, it just brings up an error message ("'ClearAuthenticationCache' is not defined"). Thank you!

My only remaining question is, why doesn't that work when typed into the address bar? I know some Javascript commands can definitely be run from there. Is a different syntax required?

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:54 pm UTC

I think you have to enclose it in a code block (i.e. braces):

Code: Select all

javascript: {alert("Hello");}
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:32 pm UTC

No, you don't need {}s - they're a no-op there.

Jorpho wrote:My only remaining question is, why doesn't that work when typed into the address bar? I know some Javascript commands can definitely be run from there. Is a different syntax required?

Dunno. javascript: urls are extremely weird, and shouldn't really be used.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Return to “The Help Desk”