Tracing an IP address .......

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Moonbeam

Tracing an IP address .......

Postby Moonbeam » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:02 pm UTC

Is there a way to tell if some messages have been written by the same person, possibly using the same IP address.

I don't need to know where they've come from, just if they've come from the same source.

The messages appear on the following link:

http://announce.jpress.co.uk/burnley-ex ... y/15374915

If you scroll down, you'll see messages left by "Barbara and Rory" and also, "Brian McNicholas".
Is t possible to determine whether these have been posted by the same person, impersonating the other person without their knowledge - it's complicated, please don't ask lol >.<

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

WanderingLinguist

Re: Tracing an IP address .......

Postby WanderingLinguist » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:37 am UTC

I doubt there's any way to do that without contacting the administrator of the site. Even assuming they have kept those records, however, there's no guarantee that two posts from the same IP address are the same person. These days, IP addresses are re-used, so unless the two posts were made within minutes of each other, there's no way to be sure. (I didn't actually try to post anything, so I don't know if they need any verification of identity when you post... it's possible they might, and the site administrator might have that information, but judging from the "report" link being a mailto: link, it doesn't give me a lot of confidence...).

Moonbeam

Re: Tracing an IP address .......

Postby Moonbeam » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:03 am UTC

WanderingLinguist wrote:I doubt there's any way to do that without contacting the administrator of the site. Even assuming they have kept those records, however, there's no guarantee that two posts from the same IP address are the same person. These days, IP addresses are re-used, so unless the two posts were made within minutes of each other, there's no way to be sure. (I didn't actually try to post anything, so I don't know if they need any verification of identity when you post... it's possible they might, and the site administrator might have that information, but judging from the "report" link being a mailto: link, it doesn't give me a lot of confidence...).

Yea I was thinking same .... I might try and contact the site itself, to see if they can help. I've tried to make a post on the site, but you do need to register with an email address etc.
If the posts have been made by the 2 separate people that they claim to be, then 1 will have been made in the UK and the other 1 in Australia .... but we seriously think that all posts have been made by the person living in the UK.

Return to “The Help Desk”