What hosting do you all use?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

cjmcjmcjmcjm

What hosting do you all use?

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:21 am UTC

Are there any good free hosts? I've got 4 small domains that I'd like to host. Current free hosting is down for over 5 minutes for the second time in fewer than 6 months.

Anyway, where all do you have your sites hosted, for those of you who own domains?
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Re: What hosting do you all use?

Postby scarecrovv » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:10 am UTC

I quite like https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/. It's not free, but it's inexpensive (pennies per month if your site is very low traffic like mine), transparent, and fair. I have never noticed any downtime (my site has always been there when I've visited, but it could have been down for weeks while I wasn't looking).

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:13 am UTC

I'll stump for nearlyfreespeech.net as well. Last I looked the free hosts were still the same locked-down ad-ridden nonsense they were ten or fifteen years ago; NFS is available for beer money and provides quite good service, as well as taking care of domain registration automatically.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:45 pm UTC

I also use nearly free speech. It's not free, but it nearly is and as already stated, their pricing is totally transparent. I've not had any problems with ... well, anything.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

bittyx

Postby bittyx » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:22 pm UTC

I host my website(s) on WebFaction, which isn't free, but is pretty cheap - $10 per month - I guess you can consider this beer money. I don't know how much NFSN charges for hosting so I can't make a comparison, but I do host my domains with them. With NFSN, I love how transparent they are about *everything* related to what they offer. In my experience, both WebFaction's and NFSN's support is very quick to answer, and highly technical - on WebFaction, I've had non-trivial issues solved within minutes.

I know you asked for free hosting, not affordable hosting, but in my experience with free hosting, I'd recommend you avoid that (because I've never seen *real* free hosting, there's always some kind of a catch, and I don't want to have to deal with that).

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:40 pm UTC

In the past I had used 110mb.com (it was one of the few that offered php and no ads at that time), but I have no idea what's left of that service, or even that company in general.
Then I switched to hosting on my own system (first a desktop, then a raspberry pi), which was nearly free, because my parents paid for connectivity and electricity. :P

And recently I switched to a VPS at transip (€12 a month), because I wanted more hardware redundancy (because setting up backups and synchronization is a pain with my own hardware) and less blockades regarding mail services. And of course the ability to run any kind of service, so webhosting alone is a no-go for me.

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:12 am UTC

I use 000webhost.com
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
Intel i5-750 (OC 3.33 GHz)
8GB (OC 1333 MHz) (2GB HDD cache)
NVIDIA GT 740 (OC 1149 MHz) 4GB (OC 841 MHz)
480GB SSD (120 HDD cache)
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:43 am UTC

Flumble wrote:In the past I had used 110mb.com (it was one of the few that offered php and no ads at that time), but I have no idea what's left of that service, or even that company in general.
Then I switched to hosting on my own system (first a desktop, then a raspberry pi), which was nearly free, because my parents paid for connectivity and electricity. :P

And recently I switched to a VPS at transip (€12 a month), because I wanted more hardware redundancy (because setting up backups and synchronization is a pain with my own hardware) and less blockades regarding mail services. And of course the ability to run any kind of service, so webhosting alone is a no-go for me.

I ended up picking Digital Ocean, for a $5/mo VPS that I can use to host small websites and also an IRC bouncer.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:56 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:I ended up picking Digital Ocean, for a $5/mo VPS that I can use to host small websites and also an IRC bouncer.

Digital Ocean is a great choice. My pick would be between Digital Ocean, Dreamhost, Nearly Free Speech and Rackspace.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Return to “The Help Desk”