Windowsifying my pc

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Ptolom

Windowsifying my pc

Postby Ptolom » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:38 pm UTC

My main computer is a haswell i7 desktop running Gentoo. It's a few years old now but it still serves me well. I use it for gaming and until now I have managed to get by using wine for games without native linux versions. The trouble is I really really want to play No Man's Sky which doesn't run in wine and possibly never will. So I'm left with the distasteful and expensive task of installing windows. I have a 250GB SSD which currently has only about 80GB free, which is nothing like enough for Windows + games. I can't really afford another ssd so I would have to use a hard drive and juggle windows and gentoo between them in some way....
Can anyone suggest what the best/cheapest set up might be? I haven't used windows except superficially on school computers since the days of xp so I don't really know what it's capable of doing with partitions and filesystems.
or failing that does anyone want to help finish implementing wine's version of dx11? I'm sure it'll be done one day, but by then we'll be on to dx13 or 14.

Flumble
Yes Man

Re: Windowsifying my pc

Postby Flumble » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:56 pm UTC

I understand that 80GB is a little too small for windows+gameS, but windows 10 (8-16GB, can't find a reliable average) and no man's sky (10GB) definitely fit. And when you say gameS, do you mean more new games or do you mean 'moving games from wine to windows so you can just as well shrink the gentoo partition(s)'?
You can also install games on a second hard drive and be done with it. Good games don't do much random I/O and don't benefit that much from an SSD.

[edit]maybe you have to reinstall the boot manager after installing windows, but it'll accept being booted as a second-rate system.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:30 pm UTC

I'd like to be able to install new games as well as a few I have in wine which would benefit from being able to use dx10+. The trouble with the latter is I can't enlarge one partition without shrinking the other first.
I hadn't realised that No Man's Sky was only 10GB. I just remembered the nightmare of downloading 50GB of Doom only to find wine couldn't handle the copy protection.
I think I'll start by giving windows 40GB and then get a second HD when the need arises. Then there's just the price of windows itself to worry about. I wish they made a cheap "wintendo" version for people who just want to run Direct3D games.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:50 pm UTC

you can simply install and run windows 10 without activation, it'll just watermark your screen (which only disappears after activation or breaking the contract/law).

As mentioned in the other thread, doom 4 is just that immense due to textures (and to a lesser degree audio and models), whereas no man's sky was all about procedural generation, including textures. I may have made up that last part, but I'm sure it's true. It's been done in the demo scene for decades and in image software too, so the knowledge is out there.

Return to “The Help Desk”