Free network monitor or something

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

emceng

Free network monitor or something

Postby emceng » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:14 am UTC

So I now have four adults in my household, all using the internet. I would like to see what devices are using the network, how much bandwidth they're using, and maybe set limits sometimes.

What's a good way to do this? Just via the router?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: Free network monitor or something

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:20 am UTC

I wrote a lot, and lost it.

Boils down to it being useful, first, knowing what router model you're talking about.

Greater or lesser capabilities might be available. Simple blocking (or unblocking) is probably available, probably with scheduling. Once you have an idea what any problem traffic might be. To get that, live monitoring to an unsophisticated degree may also be possible while using an admin login, but may not be able to rival in-line or (if the router offers it) side-tapping packet sniffing from a dedicated device. Which may be how you need to deal with it.

emceng

Re: Free network monitor or something

Postby emceng » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:28 am UTC

Well it's this router:

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F9K1102/

But we also have a
http://www.belkin.com/us/F9K1106/p/P-F9K1106/

Which complicates things.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Return to “The Help Desk”