Backing up from Windows to Debian

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

somitomi

Backing up from Windows to Debian

Postby somitomi » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:21 pm UTC

I have a laptop running Windows 10 and an older desktop running Debian. I'd like to make backups of the laptop's files on the desktop and keep that more or less up-to-date. The computers are connected to the same LAN and the desktop has more than enough disk space to copy literally everything from the laptop, but I'd rather not do that every time.
I have absolutely no knowledge about backing up, so I' like to know what methods exist to do this.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Mutex

Re: Backing up from Windows to Debian

Postby Mutex » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:33 pm UTC

Maybe try this: https://acrosync.com/windows.html

I've not tried it, but Rsync was my first thought and apparently that's a Windows implementation of it.

Rsync compares the source and destination folders and only copies over the differences since the last backup.

----

ETA:

On further reading that software isn't free and you only get a 15 day trial.

It seems you can use rsync if you have Cygwin installed. This is apparently a video showing how to do that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d5B1JC-1d4

speising

Postby speising » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:33 pm UTC

Yes, i'm using cygwin rsync to back up my pc to the raspi. That works fine. Rsync only copies changed chunks of files. You need to figure out the command line, though (not trivial), and probably write a little batch script.
It's cool to let it make each backup to a new date folder with a complete "virtual" copy via hard links.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:38 pm UTC

I think "rsync -a <source> <dest>" is pretty good for making simple backups. Also the -z flag compresses files before sending them, but that's probably unnecessary, it'll probably take longer to compress the files than the time saved by having smaller data to transfer.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:34 am UTC

Thanks. That sounds a little too advanced for my current level of Linux-skills, but hopefully my local Linux-mage can help me with that.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Return to “The Help Desk”