What's a good 'For Dummies'-style book on Active Directory?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

someguy

What's a good 'For Dummies'-style book on Active Directory?

Postby someguy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:25 pm UTC

Hello everyone.

I've been an admin for a small Active Directory-based installation for a few years now and manage to keep it online somehow, but I've never had much formal training on AD, although I took a few courses over the past few years.

What I'm after is a good book on the subject that's not as 'dry' as MS's technical documentation, of which I've also read some. I do realize that the subject lends itself to being explained somewhat dryly, but I expect there should be a good book or two out there. My problem is that I've picked up lots of tips and isolated concepts here and there over the years, but I'm missing a global view of the AD architecture and how all the different parts work together.

Does anyone know of a title or two that might be of help here?

Thank you so much.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

tylerwylie

Re: What's a good 'For Dummies'-style book on Active Directory?

Postby tylerwylie » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:38 am UTC

An LDAP in general book may be helpful, otherwise the only really useful books I tend to find are from O'Reilly. Maybe they have an AD book, although more of their documentation tends to lean towards Linux, Unix, and Open Source projects in general.
Who are you and who am I
To say we know the reason why?
Some are born; some men die
Beneath one infinite sky.
There'll be war, there'll be peace.
But everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust.

someguy

Re: What's a good 'For Dummies'-style book on Active Directory?

Postby someguy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:00 am UTC

tylerwylie wrote:An LDAP in general book may be helpful, otherwise the only really useful books I tend to find are from O'Reilly. Maybe they have an AD book, although more of their documentation tends to lean towards Linux, Unix, and Open Source projects in general.

Thanks, I'll look into both your suggestions.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

Return to “The Help Desk”