Spanish Mac keyboard vs Emacs

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Justinlrb

Spanish Mac keyboard vs Emacs

Postby Justinlrb » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

I've been trying to use emacs on our new MacBook (w/ Spanish keyboard). As you probably know, in order to type certain characters like # , @ , [ , ] , or even \on a Spanish keyboard you have to press alt + 3, 2 , `, + or º respectively. Meaning, when I try to type # or \ I get "M-º is undefined" or "M-3-" in the mini buffer.

Googling around I found some solutions for the pc including one involving pressing the right control key which the mac doesn't have, as well as some talk about configuring keyboards which seems a little extreme.

So, I wonder, has anyone else around here already dealt with this? Some of these characters are essential to the kind of programming I want to do (namely Perl) and I like emacs and don't want to give it up for another editor, yet.

Justinlrb

Re: Spanish Mac keyboard vs Emacs

Postby Justinlrb » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

Looking around some more I found that some people seem to have dealt with the problem. But not knowing enough about development I can't really make heads or tales of this: http://www.nabble.com/spanish-keyboard- ... 31424.html
where I found this:

(spanish . (([?\M-`] . "[")
("\M-+" . "]")
("\M-5" . ,emmkm--euro)
([?\M-´] . "{") ;; was: "\M-£"
([?\M-ç] . "}") ;; was: "\M-£"
("\M-3" . "#")
("\M-2" . "@")
("\M-1" . "|")
([?\M-°] . "\\")))

I'm guessing that this is something I can insert into a source file myself. but I'm not sure exactly how. Does anyone know how to do this?

::Update I thought i had found the answer, but I managed to break aquamacs. frown. more to come.
::I guess I could just switch keyboards layouts, but that kind of seems like the dumb way.

Return to “The Help Desk”