Removing Chinese adware

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

steewi

Removing Chinese adware

Postby steewi » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:50 am UTC

I've been trying to work out why my (crappy Compaq WinXP running...) laptop has been doing some weird stuff since I was in China (lock-ups, slow running, hard drive running when I'm not doing anything, ...). I've worked out that there was a Chinese internet surfing program that was installed when I first got on the net in China, without my permission. It's called CNNIC, and the new AVG 8 keeps picking it up doing stuff all the time, but when I try to get it to remove the program, it cannot. I tried to do it manually (i.e. in Explorer), but it won't delete because it's in use (as an automatic start up, somehow). I can't find it in my taskmanager to close the program, and I can't get it before it starts up. Any clues? The malware sites I get when I look it up say it's not particularly dangerous, but don't give any clues to removal.

Edit: Spybot and CCleaner don't even pick it up, it seems.

EvanED

Re: Removing Chinese adware

Postby EvanED » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:55 am UTC

Have you tried safe mode? If that doesn't do it, a LiveCD (either some Linux distribution or BartPE probably) should let you delete it if it's as simple as that.

Sparv

Postby Sparv » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:59 am UTC

Another workaround might be to use RegCleaner to hunt and kill every registry key related to the crapware. This way, it won't start at boot and you will be able to kill it.
If it doesn't work, you still have the well known and trusted format c: :wink:
Shit happens

Axman

Postby Axman » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:25 pm UTC

Run "msconfig"

and uncheck all the crazy Chinese stuff, reboot normally, then run AVG. For good measure, run HouseCall and PandaActiveScan.

When I was a sysadmin, we got hit by this Chinese botnet, and were spamming a few thousand emails a minute... anyway, later I heard the phrase "Take care of the chinks in your firewall!" and it was all over but the heaving laughter.

steewi

Postby steewi » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

Safemode! *facepalm*

I knew there were a couple of things missing that were really obvious.

Thanks for the help guys.

Case closed! :D

Return to “The Help Desk”