xp, SATA and limited resources

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

cspirou

xp, SATA and limited resources

Postby cspirou » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:08 pm UTC

So I got a puzzler.

The hard drive on the computer I'm using crapped out. When I went to the store they only had SATA drives except for a ridiculously huge IDE drive. I decided to get a SATA drive and a PCI-SATA card. The problem is that I want the SATA to be my main drive and the drivers came on a CD. To install XP you need to have the drivers on floppy disk to install the driver.

Now I also have knoppix. Knoppix see's the drive fine and I can format and do whatever.

So at my disposal I have a USB key, XP install disk, knoppix 5.1 and SATA drivers on cd. I don't have a CD burner, a floppy drive or access to another computer.

Can I install XP on this system with what I have?

BumpInTheNight

Re: xp, SATA and limited resources

Postby BumpInTheNight » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

Having encountered the same sorts of issues when trying to install XP onto a raid array I think you're pretty pooched without either obtaining a floppy or installing XP with another computer and then installing the controller's drivers onto that XP, then finally bringing the HDD back to this one and dealing with the one time event of XP rediscovering its new hardware environment.

One thought though is that XP install: Is it one with or without any of the service packs integrated? I found as the service packs went on they included more of the various HDD controller drivers and you might find that an XP disk that has SP2 or 3 built in is enough to know that controller at least well enough to get XP to see it without resorting to feeding it the drivers through the floppy drive.

This need of the floppy btw rather then being able to accept drivers from anything else is one of my chief reasons for switching to vista :P

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:21 pm UTC

When installing the drivers in xp, have you tried selecting the cd as the location of the floppy? If that doesn't work, try one of the folders in the cd that looks right.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:When installing the drivers in xp, have you tried selecting the cd as the location of the floppy? If that doesn't work, try one of the folders in the cd that looks right.

XP's pre-install driver loading just doesn't support anything but aiming at the A:, believe me I've tried many ways to try and trick it into using another media but its just deadset on only accepting drivers through the floppy.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:21 pm UTC

Right then. My install disk lets me do that, but that's an SP2 disk and handles SATA disks just fine.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:28 pm UTC

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/serv ... index.html

Or you can just buy a cheap floppy drive and some disks.

Another thing you can do is, and you'll have to use a PC with a CD burner for this, is get nLite (free) slipstream the SATA controller drivers, SP3 while you're at it, and go nuts in general.

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:59 pm UTC

Axman wrote:Another thing you can do is, and you'll have to use a PC with a CD burner for this, is get nLite (free) slipstream the SATA controller drivers, SP3 while you're at it, and go nuts in general.

Hey thanks Axman for the mention of nlite, when I first encountered issues like this with XP and raid controllers I was exploring the whole slip streaming concept but the resources I'd found were more like cryptic OEM tools that I gave up on, nlite sounds excellent for these purposes :)

cspirou

Postby cspirou » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:12 am UTC

Well I can't really set the cd-rom as a floppy if the xp install disk is already in it. I did get the use of another computer and I put the drivers on a usb key. Does this give me any options or am I still screwed?

As an aside I'm in a foreign country where access to other stuff is limited. If I was back in the US I would use other computers, floppies, burn cd's or whatever. So I'm going MacGuyver on some of this stuff. If I get my hands on a floppy disk or blank cd then I know what to do. But the consensus here seems to be that even though I have all the hardware and drivers to theorectically do this, the software tools just don't exists so I better truck for a disk.

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:55 am UTC

cspirou wrote:Well I can't really set the cd-rom as a floppy if the xp install disk is already in it. I did get the use of another computer and I put the drivers on a usb key. Does this give me any options or am I still screwed?

If the other computer has native SATA support on its motherboard then yah you could putting the new HDD on it, install XP on that, install the drivers for your PCI controller card and then bring the HDD back over to this computer. First boot it'll spend a bunch of time rediscovering its new hardware but the OS should ultimately work out, Its how I got around that the first few times.

cspirou

Postby cspirou » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:55 am UTC

BumpInTheNight wrote:
cspirou wrote:Well I can't really set the cd-rom as a floppy if the xp install disk is already in it. I did get the use of another computer and I put the drivers on a usb key. Does this give me any options or am I still screwed?

If the other computer has native SATA support on its motherboard then yah you could putting the new HDD on it, install XP on that, install the drivers for your PCI controller card and then bring the HDD back over to this computer. First boot it'll spend a bunch of time rediscovering its new hardware but the OS should ultimately work out, Its how I got around that the first few times.

I wasn't specific. The other computer was a laptop and therefore not possible unless I managed to get a hard drive enclosure and somehow set and external hard drive as a main hard drive.

Anyway, an update. With enough digging I managed to find a neighbor that had a diskette. I put the drivers on there and I installed XP.

Return to “The Help Desk”